Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Journey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 13, 2012

Journey is thatgamecompany's third release for Sony. Roam the lands discovering the history of an ancient civilization on a trek toward a distant mountain. Go at it alone or explore with strangers online.

Let's share our Journey.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darklight

First impression of the game... wow. I don't know how I should feel really. This game is short but I went through a lot of different emotion. Amazement , fear, surprise, suspense. The journey was great and I find the graphic style amazing.

Without putting to much spoiler I'll try to describe the journey I had. At first I was alone for the first "zone" if we may call them that, after that I saw someone, so I decided, why not just do some road together for a little while. We went from the desert to the mountain together. By the end of the journey and through all the challenge we went together I started to get more attached to my partner companion, I wanted him to succeed as much as I do, There's not much cooperation per say, but it's kinda weird how they made it, we can't help each other yet it seem to make it's so rewarding to try and stay together in the journey.

The visual, the music, the art style make it really weird and fascinating. So much that I decide to share it with everyone as my first TC on giant bomb. Also would love to how people feel after playing the game.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By RadixNegative2

Just finished it.

I went through most of it alone. Though I would meet different people, none seemed to stick around. Near the end though I met someone and we stuck together to help each other get through the last push to the top of the mountain. That was pretty cool. I don't think I've ever been so close yet also so distant to someone at the same time.

Pretty amazing game. I was in tears by the end of it, which I definitely didn't expect nor can explain.

And yes the visuals were great, but the music was even greater. Probably the best soundtrack to any game that I can remember right now.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TentPole

Guys . . . I don't think we finished.

Check the trophies.

Get back up that mountain.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By darklight

@TentPole: Haha, yeah I know, I'm game to finish it some more. ;)

The only thing is I don't think I'll have the same rush of experience as I did the first time.

Oh and also... For the trophies, I doubt anyone will sit and meditate 20 second with me! :D

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TentPole
    Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

I walked through the desert and suddenly i was playing shadows of the damned.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish

God damn Playstaion Plus.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By yoshimitz707

I had a companion for almost the entire thing but I lost him right at the end and it was the most crushing thing I'd experienced in a game in a while.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Doctorchimp

Wait Journey's out right now?

I thought it would be out on the 15th

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TentPole

@Doctorchimp: PS Plus only until next week.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp

@TentPole said:

@Doctorchimp: PS Plus only until next week.

Thanks for the clarification. I really can't wait.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Addfwyn

Amazing experience, I met my companion in the first area of the game and we stuck it out the entire time. Never before have I felt so connected to a total stranger that I had virtually no real communication with. So much emotion and experience packed into such a small package, this game is an amazing experience start to finish.

There were parts of this game I just had a giddy grin on my face, I felt like a kid flying around with certain things encountered early in the game in pure wonder. There were parts of this game that were heart-wrenching, as I wonder with horror if my companion was going to make it. And there was a final crescendo that was so satisfying I had tears in my eyes, but of the good variety. No game has managed so many feelings, never mind so freaking quickly. Truly a gem and worth every penny. I'll be doing a writeup/review on it later, but have to let things settle in my mind a bit first.

After the game, when you get your companion's name, we immediately started messaging each other. I felt closer to this guy than folks I voice chat with in MP games. Actually a good way to meet new folks too!

PS: Anyone who says games aren't art, play this. Thanks.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nekroskop

So do you get the entire game by being a PS+ member, or is that just the BETA?

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Addfwyn

@ahaisthisourchance: You have to buy it still, you just get it a week early as Plus. It comes out for everyone next week.

GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By GeneralZod37

This game was astounding. I went through the first area alone and then spent the up until the snow bit with the same person. That was great, and we hit it off. I had no idea who he/she was but we waited for each other, mashed the O button together and always refilled each other's scarfs. When we got disconnected I literally stood there for a minute or two looking for him/her, heartbroken when I realized I was alone. The two after that were just not the same. My favorite co-op experience to date.

The game itself is a work of art. After playing ME3 for 12 hours, I really appreciated the way Journey just put me into that world with no direction. I was left to make my own story. There was no text anywhere on the screen to guide me in a certain way. I able to just go, and go I did.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By darklight

@TentPole: You saw that in the Trophy? I'll have to check back later.

As I read everyone else experience, I notice that it seems the game was able to immerse pretty much everyone that played it. I did not see anyone say "this game suck" (not saying it won't happens) or someone that did not feel any connection to the the character / Companion

The funny thing is that just before buying it yesterday, I was pretty skeptical because I read the topic "...one of the most amazing gaming experiences of my life" and I thought to myself "good way to over-hype a game... I'll probably get disapointed now". When I started playing I was midly involved by trying to understand what they wanted me to do, the goal of all this. But after walking with my new companion, I kinda got really into it. I don't know if i's the mix of the graphic/music that made it happens or the challenge we go through but I did not expect that kind of experience.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By DarkShaper

For me most other people I ran into didn't stick around to long. But Once I got to the mountain I ran into someone that stuck around for the rest of the game,it was strange how intense it got and how I started to want to see them succeed as much as I wanted to do so myself.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By jacdg

Met a dude right at the middle of the second area, and we stuck together for the rest of the game, we almost lost eachother at the end, but I waited for him and when we regrouped it was an amazing feeling of cooperative success, dude even sent me a message afterwords, amazing game, amazing, astounding experience.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Hizang

Best game I have played this year, one of the best PS3 games I have ever played.
    I can think of nothing to improve this game.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shookems

I seriously am awe struck. What an amazing experience.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VoshiNova

You guys have me soooOoo pumped to play this game!

TO THE JOURNEY!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By recroulette

I finished it and really didn't feel much. Not a slight against the game at all. To be honest, it just shows what kind of a person I am.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Stepside

Finally get something out of my PS+ membership...

zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zonikjj

Aw what... I didn't know PS+ members got it a week early. I'm considering buying PS+ and Journey to get it like 4 days early. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Oh shit this came out? I need to buy it.. 

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By GunstarRed

I played it last night and had a nice experience, but there were a few things prodding at the back of my mind. I couldn't help feeling like I was being pushed along forcefully at points. I just wanted to look around and explore and the game just wanted me to keep moving, probably understandable in a game called Journey, but very, very, very mildly annoying. It seems like it wants everyone to have the exact same experience, everything seems tested and tested to perfection, every bit of swelling music, view, set piece-like moment etc. Pushing forward in certain parts are made all the more better with a companion and there are a few moments of tension that I wasn't expecting. It is clearly a better game than Flower and it feels a lot less pretentious and arty than I expected it would. The final areas into the payoff are expertly crafted, but hardly an experience I have not had elsewhere.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gaff

I just finished my first session with the game, let it save and... now I'm not sure I'm going to finish that Journey.

It's kind of surprising how quickly I bonded with my companion: guiding each other to powerups we found, recharging each other's jumps, swinging the camera around to check where he was.

I guess I'll start again, tomorrow night.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StrikeALight

Just 'beat' it for the first time. Took me about 2.5 hours, met four other pilgrims and I'm absolutely punch-drunk.

This game is a knock-out. It's gonna take a few days to process it all, but it's really unlike anything else I've played before.

Just amazing. (really)

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FilipHolm

Goddamn it the wait is unbearable, I have waited so long for this game and is twice as hyped to play this rather than something like Mass Effect 3. Strange.

zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zonikjj

In a word: Intense.

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cannedstingray

I went through the first couple areas mostly alone, couple others would hang around for a little bit, then we would part ways. I could tell by the length of their scarves vs mine that we perhaps had a different play style. So I wasn't really looking for anyone to hang out with so much, untill i ran across one who seemed to be doing almost all of the same things that I was doing, and their scarf was the same length, anyway we seemed to have similar mind set. It was really friggin cool, they showed me a few secrets (it was obvious that they had played through before) we got the meditate for 20 secs trophy which was pretty neat as well as a couple others.

I ended up playing the entire rest of the game with that person, and the attachment I felt was uncanny. It was like I met a new close friend. We would try to communicate through our song and sometimes it almost felt like you could make out simple phrases, "over here" "thank you" and things like that..

Gotta say Journey is easily one of the most engaging and unique games I've ever played..

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By 49th  Online

I ended up playing with about 10 different people who were all rushing through or other people who ended up leaving after the chapter if we were having fun.

Then I fell off the snowy mountain bridge near the end and had to go back to the start, so my partner left me and I played the whole end of the game alone.

It is a beautiful game though and I enjoyed playing it, hopefully in further playthroughs I can find a good partner.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CaLe

I liked it but it was a bit too gay at the end. I wanted more despair.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#34  Edited By tearhead

Spent the early part of the game alone, then met up with another player halfway through the game. We made it all the way to the final level, but sadly, he didn't make a jump and fell to the bottom. I didn't realize how attached I became to this nameless person until I watched as that little white light at the edge of my screen slowly disappeared. I continued my journey to the end alone once again.

Damn, this game is amazing!

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By samfo

How do you get the machine gun?

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By BoG

Oh my gosh. The OP is so correct. Wonder, curiosity, fear, tension... so many emotions, and only one consistent: awe. This game is brilliant.

I want to play through with a companion, but I don't know how that works. I was alone the whole.

Is this a metaphor for my own Journey in life? 0_0

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ExplodeMode

Just played through the whole thing with 1 person.  By the end we were totally in synch.  Pretty fun game.  The part where you're sliding down the sand and the sun is setting, my jaw was wide open.  It was so good looking.

nywt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By nywt

Simply astounding. This is easily the most emotionally stirring experience I have ever had with a video game. At first, I started solo, and upon meeting my first companion, I kind of just blew him off and took off on my own. However, as the game continued, I spent more time walking with with my companions, occasionally chirping out a little song or mirroring the sounds of my partner. It felt good to walk along with someone while enjoying the simply phenomenal vistas.

The part that nearly had me in tears was towards the end, as my partner and I were making our last push up the mountain. Without spoiling too much, we were attacked. My partner ran one way and I was a little to slow to run another. As I was thrown through the air and had my scarf torn in two, I lost sight of my partner among the blowing snow and hills. I thought it was all over. I expected my partner to run off, continuing the journey, leaving me to freeze to death. But then, through the snow, I saw my partner come running back over the hill and down towards me. He came over to me and sang, willing and wishing for me to get up and fight on. I did, and we soldiered through the storm to the top, keeping close to pass words of motivation and keep each other warm.

Without a doubt, no video game has ever made me feel so connected to another human being as I felt during the last moments of Journey. Hopefully, the list of my partners at the end of the game was in chronological order. If that is the case, I hope I got this right, I wish to thank ZRC1008 for contributing to one of the most memorable moments I have had in my many years of playing games. Thank you, and thank you thatgamecompany.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TwilitEnd656

While very interested and rather excited about it, I honestly wasn't expecting Journey to hit me quite as hard as it did, if at all. I went in expecting to goof off, I came out silent with a sort of contented sensation.

First area was spent fooling around, admiring how pretty the whole place looked, and just wandering about the area. Interested, but not particularly invested in any way as I proceeded to the next area. From there, I found another player doing his thing, and perhaps as some strangers would, we both seemed pretty reluctant to interact at all. We eventually did, but even then there was what I can only call a sort of tension in how we interacted with each other. Bit by bit, though, we began to synch up pretty well. Slowly beginning to move side by side when going toward a similar goal, finding each other waiting for the other more frequently no matter the distance, or slowing down when either of us were clearly taking a look around. Of course, certain segments we certainly had our freedom, though we'd always meet right back up afterwards.

I found the world of Journey, while interesting, to have taken a back seat with my experience accompanying a complete stranger. More than likely I'll go back with the world in mind and do some more thorough exploration, probably only tagging along with others up to the end of chapters. Wonderful sights, sounds, and some strange force compelling me to wander through unfamiliar lands with a nameless, faceless, voiceless stranger. I feel like a lot of people should give Journey a try, just for the hell of it; as much as I explained what went on in the actual game, there's absolutely no way I'll be able to describe exactly what kind of thoughts and emotions were running through my head at the time. Journey may be something small in content, but it's definitely something I'll remember for a long time. Got messaged by my partner too, right in the middle of typing out mine. Hopefully we can play some other games together another day.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By willin

My scarf was 4 or 5 times longer than my companion so even though my jumps were easy his/hers were not so I helped him every single time. 

In any other game would of been extremely frustrating. In Journey, it was perfect.

baconbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By baconbot

@yoshimitz707 said:

I had a companion for almost the entire thing but I lost him right at the end and it was the most crushing thing I'd experienced in a game in a while.

I had a friend all the way through the ending and that final climb he "died" just before me and I was CRUSHED. I felt so sad.

I loved this game. Everything about it.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By zaccheus

Just finished my Journey. Without a doubt the best looking game I have ever played. In the second area it felt strange when someone else popped up. I had a partner all the way through and I thought is was the same one, but as it turned out I actually had three different ones. Oh well, they all seemed to enjoy the game and weren't in a terrible rush. I spotted multiple symbols and after vigorous circle smashing was able to guide others to them as well. I really liked that. I'd say Journey is also the best co-op game I have ever played, since I have no friends,

Funny how things go. I just played To the Moon few days ago and that was the absolute pinnacle of storytelling in games and now Journey has casted a shadow on the visuals of all other games. You should play To the Moon. I'm serious. Really. Do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.