Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Aug 17, 2010

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days makes a notable switch of the titular duo, with James Lynch now taking up the role as lead protagonist over Kane. However the two are still once again forced to endure a hail of gunfire as they find themselves embroiled in Shanghai's criminal underworld.

First Impressions: Kane & Lynch 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@buzz_killington said:
    "

So psyched for this!! Also, this feels surreal; I'm referring to reading a preview for Kane & Lynch 2 on Giant Bomb.

"
    It's still a game. It's not like they would pretend that it doesn't exist because of the shit that happened in the past.
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By stinky
    @TheJollyRajah said:
    " I think Jeff is trying to avoid the controversy so just STFU if you respect Jeff. "
    seconded, if jeff doesn't find it worth mentioning, let it go.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#103  Edited By Marz

are we gonna see a Kane and Lynch website skin on giamtbomb with the review that trashes it?

Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By Brontes_Muse

Looks kind of plain to me.  

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#105  Edited By nukesniper

I'm hoping K&L2 impresses us actually. And on the subject of K&L1, that hasn't come up explicitly on giantbomb.com yet, and I don't think it ever will. It doesn't need to either. If Jeff can look forward to K&L2 without getting mad about the past, no one else should.

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
    vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By vibratingdonkey

Things that were objectively kind of shit about Kane & Lynch:

• Cover mechanic
      Felt loose and sloppy. Just walking up behind cover and hoping that you'll stick to it is evidently not the best solution. Need button.

• AI
      Just plain garbage on both sides. For the majority of the game it wasn't particularly bothersome, but as the game ramps up near the end, and you feel the need to rely on your squad and ordering them around, it all falls apart.

• Weak weapons
      Having taken inspiration from Michael Mann movies, it's just plain weird how they managed to get this so wrong. There's very little oomph or intensity and the bullet spread is crazy.

Reading this and other previews it seems like they're addressing at least the last two. And it would be eternally stupid of them to not fix the first.

What made me like the game despite of the gameplay only being acceptable at best, was the art direction and the inventive scenarios. Basically I liked the style. It was simply a cool ass game. 

The art direction for this is obviously completely different, and hopefully that'll work too. But most importantly I hope they're still on top of the level design. If it's designed like the rubbish last part of Kane & Lynch then I'm not interested.
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@nukesniper said:
    " I'm hoping K&L2 impresses us actually. And on the subject of K&L1, that hasn't come up explicitly on giantbomb.com yet, and I don't think it ever will. It doesn't need to either. If Jeff can look forward to K&L2 without getting mad about the past, no one else should. "
    Right on.  That's the funny thing about this thread: all these people will talk about no one else but the guy who lost his job over the whole deal has moved on.  Kind of funny.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#108  Edited By Claude

That's what I call "an enthusiast journalistic impression". Word.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Wow, your previewing this game...

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#110  Edited By GleasonRyan

kane and lynch? ON MY GIANTBOMB! NEVAR!

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111  Edited By DukeTogo

First of all, it was never actually reported this game, Io, or Eidos had anything to do with that situation.  It's hearsay to talk about it as fact, unless you were there in the offices of CNET.  So bringing that up is just fodder for the internet as a font of bullshit and unsubstantiated rumors.  I'd also bet that Jeff would be the first to say that it was the best thing that happened to him, since now he's in control of a site that is about playing games for fun, not selling them with reviews.

Aside from that, the first game had some merit, the idea was strong and it pulled no punches with its vision of bad men doing bad things.  The story was fresh and at times the game was cool and did what hadn't been done in a game before.  The street shootouts were visceral and still remain one of the few highlights of the game.  It's only flaw was a rushed release that caused what should have been polished and refined to remain rough and sometimes broken.  Had it been given a few months it likely would have been remembered differently.

I hope this game gets it right and is allowed to show that Io are capable of some great gaming.  Freedom Fighters is proof of that.

Phange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Phange

Fortunately Jeff owns the site so he can't get fired for giving Kane and Lynch 2 the score it probably deserves.
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#113  Edited By nick_verissimo

I'm kind of interested to see the game in action, based up on how different some of the visual effects were explained.  Hey, if fast-zooms and solar flares worked for Firefly's interesting visual concept for a show; then some different things could work here.  Then again, it has to play well first. We'll see.

dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#114  Edited By dezvous
    I don't get why people are trying to be coy with this whole situation? Talking about "leaving it alone" and "not mentioning it." Seems to me Jeff isn't trying to act like it didn't happen or anything strange so why you all are tip-toeing around like it's going to start controversy or something. Of course he's not going to come out and devote a whole paragraph to it especially since I think he's pretty happy with where he's at. Besides, the fact that you allude to it by implication or otherwise means you're bringing it up and therefore being a hypocrite in the process. Seems a bit useless to me.   

There's no controversy here, Jeff isn't the source of this "controversy," the controversy revolves around companies like GameSpot and Ziff Davis. If anything we should be looking to see who's going to review this game over there, not here.

I have a feeling Jeff is doing just about what he's always wanted to with Giant Bomb or whether or not it's what he's wanted to do, he's having a great time doing it, with or without the unavoidably moronic parts of a fan base.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#115  Edited By RHCPfan24

Jeff, you made me excited about this coverage and your upcoming coverage of it. This is going to be great. :D

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#116  Edited By crusader8463

I hope this one comes out for the PC like the first did. It looks interesting enough to try out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0799277f8eb
    deactivated-5d0799277f8eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Let's face it, without all the comotion about the first game, we would never have Giant Bomb. 
    I'm glad this site exists.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By iamjohn

Do you people really think that Jeff would be anything but professional about this?  Yes, the first game has been forever tainted by its involvement in Gerstmanngate - Jeff himself has acknowledged that.  But neither Eidos, nor IO had anything to do with him being fired.  The whole shebang was all CNET's doing, and Jeff has nothing to gain from giving Kane & Lynch 2 a biassed or unfair review (if he even reviews it; if I were him, I'd have someone else do it solely because no matter what he thinks of it, if he's involved in the review, there's going to be backlash).  The whole "LOL KANE AND LYNCH" thing is getting as played out as "this or that" threads, China on my watch and whining about Gamespot.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Vaile

Feeling nostalgic Jeff?

Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Wright

I don't even know who has the authority to fire jeff anymore!

Duckbutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Duckbutter

Jesus, Gerstmann just give the people what they want.  
    tell the people how you feel about the whole thing and how it wont effect Kane and Lynch 2 and be done with it.  
    it'll only take a paragraph.  
    quit pretending the whole Giantbomb community and Video Game Journalist world ain't staring at this K and L 2 preview with a microscope. 
    get it outta the way so we can move on. 
    and apologize for not liking Coldplay while youre at it. 

jeterman29ny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By jeterman29ny

Did you just say you're looking forward to checking this game out? Dude, way to completely talk crap about this game! How can this site possibly exist when you dis a game we endorse with ads like crazy? You're fired! AGAIN!

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Trilogy

There's an elephant in the room but we all know it doesn't really matter anymore. Bring on the coverage Mr. Gerstmann.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Milkman

It doesn't seem to change enough from the first game to make it interesting. But maybe I'll be wrong.

Also, let's calm down with the whole GameSpot stuff. If Jeff wants to talk about it, he'll talk about it, though I doubt he does. The past is in the past. Let's leave it that way and get over it. Making references to it, I admit, is fun but stupid shit like this:

@Duckbutter said:

" Jesus, Gerstmann just give the people what they want.   tell the people how you feel about the whole thing and how it wont effect Kane and Lynch 2 and be done with it.   it'll only take a paragraph.   quit pretending the whole Giantbomb community and Video Game Journalist world ain't staring at this K and L 2 preview with a microscope.  get it outta the way so we can move on.  and apologize for not liking Coldplay while youre at it.  "

is not necessary. There's no reason for him to tell any of how he feels about this. This is a preview for Kane & Lynch 2. What may or may not have happened with the original has nothing to do with that.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By iamjohn
    @Duckbutter said:
    " Jesus, Gerstmann just give the people what they want.   tell the people how you feel about the whole thing and how it wont effect Kane and Lynch 2 and be done with it.   it'll only take a paragraph.   quit pretending the whole Giantbomb community and Video Game Journalist world ain't staring at this K and L 2 preview with a microscope.  get it outta the way so we can move on.  and apologize for not liking Coldplay while youre at it.  "
    What good will acknowledging it even do?  Most people have already made up their minds about how they feel about the whole thing - they either want blood at all costs or are at the ready to scrutinize Jeff no matter what he inevitably thinks of the game (if he hates it, then he's just being petty and seeking revenge for getting fired for his review of the first game; if he likes it, then he's just "intentionally" giving it a good review so that people don't think he went in wanting to hate it).  Refusing to acknowledge it is really the best course of action here (besides having nothing to do with the coverage, of course).
    mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By mythrol
    @stinky said:
    " @TheJollyRajah said:
    " I think Jeff is trying to avoid the controversy so just STFU if you respect Jeff. "
    seconded, if jeff doesn't find it worth mentioning, let it go. "
    Well it's been rumored several times around the time of the firing that Jeff  signed a DND (Do Not Disclose) agreement to get his severance package or possibly an incentive. So I'm sure that would factor far greater into the "Jeff not mentioning it" issue. 

He could possibly want to just come out and say everything but can't because of the DND.

From a developer's standpoint it makes perfect sense that they'd try and give Giantbomb early coverage and possibly some exclusive info if for nothing more than to "bridge the rift". As Giantbomb grows and starts to develop a bigger and bigger following, it will wield more power to sway the opinion of it's readers. I'd say even moreso with Giantbomb than other websites because it seems like the people who like this site, REALLY like this site (including myself) and would put a lot of weight in what GB says.
    Sly_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Sly_Ry

I"m really interested and excited about this game.
    NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By NegativeCreep

I really want this game to be good. Kane and Lynch are awesome characters that really deserved to be in a better game.

And if it wasn't for Kane and Lynch, we wouldn't have Giant Bomb...the best goddamn gaming website EVER.

dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By dezvous
    @Milkman said:
    If Jeff wants to talk about it, he'll talk about it
    Some of you guys act so strange. Quit covering for the man. It comes off like you know him personally or something and it's really kinda creepy because so many people do it and none of you know him personally. He's not your pal.
    EndlessMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By EndlessMike

I like the visual style. Sort of a faux low-fi thing going on.

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Kovie

Yes, YES!  I want to play this game!

tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#132  Edited By tactis

I wonder if whoever is gonna review this for Gamespot will give it a 10.0 for fear of being fired like Jeff haha, so funny seeing this on Giantbomb.

Duckbutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Duckbutter
    @Milkman said:

" It doesn't seem to change enough from the first game to make it interesting. But maybe I'll be wrong.

Also, let's calm down with the whole GameSpot stuff. If Jeff wants to talk about it, he'll talk about it, though I doubt he does. The past is in the past. Let's leave it that way and get over it. Making references to it, I admit, is fun but stupid shit like this:

@Duckbutter

said:

is not necessary. There's no reason for him to tell any of how he feels about this. This is a preview for Kane & Lynch 2. What may or may not have happened with the original has nothing to do with that. "

if you and me and a bunch of friends were sitting around and then my cock exploded with confetti and rainbows and bacon and circus clowns shooting out of it, then yea i dont have to explain it because its my cock.

but we're friends.
    so the least i can do is say "yea i know its weird but it aint a big deal to me"
    instead of pretending it didn't happen.
    regardless of whether its a just a Kane and Lynch 2 preview or not, how hard is it to type:

"just so you know, the whole Kane and Lynch 2 thing aint a big deal over here at Giantbomb, folks. it's just another game review like the rest."

or

"i know you're all wondering how i feel about the KnL 1 thing two years later but i cant talk about it for legal reasons. 
    and i'm sorry for not liking Coldpay."

it aint hard.
    Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Faint

real irony in this being posted by jeff. it makes me wonder why they would bother to make a second following the first awful game, and the controversy surrounding it. some things cant be fixed, though maybe they'll prove otherwise.

Powderwombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Powderwombat

I wonder how many people posting 'K&L was awful' actually played it.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#136  Edited By big_jon
    @HT101:
    lol yeah
    cocabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By cocabis

first of all, i liked the first game.
    second, if i were jeff i would be thanking the first game because without it the most awesome video game site today would not exist so, thank you kane and lynch, thank you fo your awfull cover system and shooting :)

xater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#138  Edited By xater
    @Powderwombat said:
    " I wonder how many people posting 'K&L was awful' actually played it. "
    I did. It was awful.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Akeldama

meh. Nothing interesting catching my eye with this game.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#140  Edited By HydraHam

if they didn't improve the gameplay drastically including the aiming i will pass, the aiming was atrocious on both console and PC and had many flaws, i enjoyed the story but the gameplay was lacking BIG TIME, i really wanted to like the first game but it was just so bad on so many levels

hopefully they learned from their mistakes, and jeff vs kane and lynch round 2? wonder if GB will lay him off for scoring it bad XD XD XD XD i kid i kid.

utamaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By utamaru

So, wait, Lynch is in Shanghai?

Are we sure this isn't Army of Two, Two, too?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I would laugh so hard if Jeff gave this a 5*... the irony would be delicious.

Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Pepsicolaboy

the elephant in the room makesa it so hard to conentrate on wether or not im actually totally non-plussed about this games existance......

Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RawShark said:

" Jeff, you should give this game a mediocre review and then fire yourself. "

Then he can establish a NEW new website, GiantBoob.
    momentarylogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#145  Edited By momentarylogic

...This is all a little too easy. 

Should they have not just buried the game's future by reputation alone?

JohnRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By JohnRabbit

YO DOG THIS IS LIKE TOTALLY THAT ONE GAME JEFF MADDOGGED ON YEARS AGO GOT HISSELF FIRED AND SHIT RIGHT?!  

Seriously, you're all a bunch of children; Jeff obviously makes some overt references to "the shit" from years ago toward the end of this write-up.  He's not stupid, and he's isn't given to jerk off your flimsy egos with details on that situation or how the aftermath of it will affect his opinion.  You have to understand the questioning a journalist's integrity is roughly akin to accusing athletes of steroid usage; its a serious matter with serious implications. 

You don't have any right to demand ANYTHING from Jeff except the same "hey this my opinion, maybe you'll agree with me, maybe not" type of coverage he and the site in general provides.

Oh and for the record, if the man is willing to play the game and talk about it HE'S PROBABLY NOT NEARLY AS WOUND UP ABOUT IT AS SOME OF YOU SEEM TO BE.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Duckbutter said:
    " if you and me and a bunch of friends were sitting around and then my cock exploded with confetti and rainbows and bacon and circus clowns shooting out of it, then yea i dont have to explain it because its my cock. but we're friends. so the least i can do is say "yea i know its weird but it aint a big deal to me"instead of pretending it didn't happen. regardless of whether its a just a Kane and Lynch 2 preview or not, how hard is it to type: "just so you know, the whole Kane and Lynch 2 thing aint a big deal over here at Giantbomb, folks. it's just another game review like the rest."or"i know you're all wondering how i feel about the KnL 1 thing two years later but i cant talk about it for legal reasons.  and i'm sorry for not liking Coldpay."  it aint hard. "

Great comparison. Only that it is shit.

Jeff has no reason to explain the whole situation to anyone on the Internet. Who the fuck cares? Isn't NOT posting about the whole deal (which is also not true, as he clearly aludes to the previous game and controversy towards the end of the news) an indicator that he's not making any beef about it anymore? Writing an unnecessary paragraph concerning the whole situation would be dumb, and I bet people like you would start posting that Jeff decided to take a hit on Gamespot and C-NET, and then proceed to blast him for acting childish and being on the same level as C-NET.

Not to mention that we don't even know anything 100% about the case and we won't know until Mr. Gerstmann speaks about. Which he shouldn't do. Give the man a fucking break.

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By JBird
    @JohnRabbit:
    Well said.
    JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By JauntyHat

I dunno if there's any reason TOO bring up "the incident" when dealing with the second game itself. It's a game being released by a company that's trying to make something presentable and fun to play that has a purposely defined edge to it. The controversy behind the first has nothing to do with the quality of this game (or does it?). 

NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By NegativeCreep

Fuck gamespot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.