Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Aug 17, 2010

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days makes a notable switch of the titular duo, with James Lynch now taking up the role as lead protagonist over Kane. However the two are still once again forced to endure a hail of gunfire as they find themselves embroiled in Shanghai's criminal underworld.

How to get that look with a camera?

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bravestar

I really love the visual style of this game, so I've been wondering how to achieve it with a camera. Especially the lights, that form these stripes up and down the screen(I really don't know if there's a proper term for that).

Do I just have to get a really cheap digital camera and film in low light settings or do I need special filters? Would be awesome if someone could help me out with that!

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Gizmo

If my memory serves me correctly, 28 Days Later (which had a really awesome shitty look to it), was filmed with a cheap crappy Mini-DV. If you are looking to film something really grungy i'd use tape I guess?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Bravestar said:
    " I really love the visual style of this game, so I've been wondering how to achieve it with a camera. Especially the lights, that form these stripes up and down the screen(I really don't know if there's a proper term for that).  Do I just have to get a really cheap digital camera and film in low light settings or do I need special filters? Would be awesome if someone could help me out with that! "
    Do you mean something like optical flares? 

You can create effects like that in After Effects. I've been learning it for a while now and it's not too hard. 
    Here is a couple of mine -  

and this one,  

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FirePrince

A shitty camera is supposed to do that.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By subject2change

It's called learn compositing software

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bravestar
    @FirePrince said:
    "

A shitty camera is supposed to do that.

"
    I looked at footage from shitty cameras on vimeo.com(type in camera name and you get a bunch of videos, love that site) and apparently they don't do that. Or they don't do that anymore.

I guess that look originally came from digital cameras, so why use after effects for that(also I'm not very good at after effects).
    ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ViciousReiven

If you ever figure out a way to pull this off legitimately (no filters) I'd love to know.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bionicicide
    chw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chw
    @Bravestar:  The vertical streaks of light is also called "light banding".  I think it happens when too much light exposes an area on a camera's sensor (CCD) and overloads the entire column.  Video (electronically exposed, via sensors) experiences vertical banding, while film (chemically exposed, via celluloid) experiences horizontal flares.

The blocks that appear seems similar to a type of video compression artifact called macroblocking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroblocking#Macroblocking)

Lastly, the random coloured noise that appears is just that -- a base level of random noise that exists in any electronically recorded signal, either audio or video.  It will be particularly noticeable in when you artificially boost the picture in low-light situations (either through the "gain" feature in a camera, or by raising the levels in post).
    Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Linkin10362

I've been wondering how to do this as well. My interests peeked after Mega64 did their MVC3 video where they made it look like a old VHS recording. I emailed them a question about how they did it, but never got a reply back :(

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ViciousReiven

If you need to create macroblocks in a video, use an old old codec like cinepack and the quality as low as possible. 
    noise is easy enough to apply with filters. 
    still can't figure out how to get lightbanding without using a high end video editor like after effects...

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey it's, eleven years later, and I still badly want to re-create this look through purchase or effect. But ideally, in real time, not post editing. Today this reminded me to play around with Glitch Studio on my iphone, and, it's never going to be as good as the mimicked raw bad video the game represents. I always felt like it was not just a cheap camera, but a live streaming one over a bad connection with an old codec.. Lots going on.

But I bet after this many years if I still think about this despite the gameplay, some others probably still are too..

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#13 fisk0  Moderator

@deadweezel: the hard part is to make the lines perfectly vertical, but essentially all you have to do is to breathe on your phone's camera lens and then wipe it with your hand, leaving it slightly dirty and wet. The angle you wipe it at will affect the direction of the light 'beams'. You may want to put some protective film on the lens or use an old camera where it doesn't matter if you scratch it since you'll need to redo it a few times in order to get the right look.

Once you get close enough you can always just record and then crop and rotate the video a little during editing. That'll of course give you even more of that digital zoom look (and then use pretty heavy compression to make the look even dirtier).

Your best results will probably be with some cheap android phones or tablets, no fancy Samsungs or stuff like that (except maybe their cheaper Galaxy Ax line). You want as cheap and bad cameras as you can get.

DavoTron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hey it's, eleven years later, and I still badly want to re-create this look through purchase or effect. But ideally, in real time, not post editing. Today this reminded me to play around with Glitch Studio on my iphone, and, it's never going to be as good as the mimicked raw bad video the game represents. I always felt like it was not just a cheap camera, but a live streaming one over a bad connection with an old codec.. Lots going on.

But I bet after this many years if I still think about this despite the gameplay, some others probably still are too..

Quite - The slow down during explosions in the game wouldn't be achievable unless there was some serious shock to the camera (Think like a CD skipping). This would probably only be possible with some more analog formats, almost certainly not with modern HD cameras saved to an SD card. I've dropped a C100 before and that kept on trucking.

It's not a realtime effect, but there's an iOS app called DU-VFX that will also do a bit of this. Otherwise, the only way I've managed to do stuff like this was with After Effects and various templates. Here's a good start.

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: some good ideas there.. I do have a bunch of old phones around

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.