• 76 results
Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By Jeff  Staff

The Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days media tour cruised through our office last week with the opportunity to play the restaurant and Shanghai street scene that we watched someone else play back in January. After playing it for myself, I continue to be interested in seeing more, but it's also fascinating to see what, exactly, this game has become.

For those of you just joining us, the previous Kane & Lynch game focused a lot on squad tactics. You had a crew with you fairly frequently, and you could order them around in the name of "getting other people to do stuff for you." It's certainly not the worst idea in the world. In fact, a game IO produced before K&L1, Freedom Fighters, dealt with this exact gameplay system. The difference is that your posse in Freedom Fighters felt effective, and you could easily clean up any mess with your own weapons. The crew in Kane & Lynch was kind of useless. And the shooting in Kane & Lynch was, to put it lightly, not so good.

With all of that in mind, it's surprising, but totally understandable that Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days has thrown away just about all of that stuff. This time there's no crew to weigh you down, no orders to give. K&L2 is a standard third-person shooter with a cover system and a two-player cooperative component. It's 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand with white dudes and, as far as I can tell, no big-ass ramps. It's not exactly the most inspired game concept in the world, but by layering a lot of unique visual elements over the action. Dog Days still stands out as something potentially rad.

It's the violently shaking camera, deliberately lo-fi filters, and things like color-banding and bleeding that makes Dog Days work. At times, it's incredibly disorienting. But when you combine all of that visual noise with a high-tension shootout with Shanghai's police department, it makes the whole thing feel incredibly manic and, well, dangerous. Another nice touch is that some shots hit so hard that they'll knock you down. It's not really Gears-style bleed out situation. Instead, it's just one more way for the game to keep you off-balance. You can stand up with a quick press of the A button, or crawl behind cover and get up in a slightly safer place. But seeing it in motion is what really sells Kane & Lynch 2. That's why it's kind of frustrating that so little video footage has been released so far.

And here are some new screenshots. Square-Enix and IO are set to show off the game's multiplayer soon, so we'll have more on the game's Fragile Alliance mode in the relatively near future.

Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jeff  Staff

The Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days media tour cruised through our office last week with the opportunity to play the restaurant and Shanghai street scene that we watched someone else play back in January. After playing it for myself, I continue to be interested in seeing more, but it's also fascinating to see what, exactly, this game has become.

For those of you just joining us, the previous Kane & Lynch game focused a lot on squad tactics. You had a crew with you fairly frequently, and you could order them around in the name of "getting other people to do stuff for you." It's certainly not the worst idea in the world. In fact, a game IO produced before K&L1, Freedom Fighters, dealt with this exact gameplay system. The difference is that your posse in Freedom Fighters felt effective, and you could easily clean up any mess with your own weapons. The crew in Kane & Lynch was kind of useless. And the shooting in Kane & Lynch was, to put it lightly, not so good.

With all of that in mind, it's surprising, but totally understandable that Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days has thrown away just about all of that stuff. This time there's no crew to weigh you down, no orders to give. K&L2 is a standard third-person shooter with a cover system and a two-player cooperative component. It's 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand with white dudes and, as far as I can tell, no big-ass ramps. It's not exactly the most inspired game concept in the world, but by layering a lot of unique visual elements over the action. Dog Days still stands out as something potentially rad.

It's the violently shaking camera, deliberately lo-fi filters, and things like color-banding and bleeding that makes Dog Days work. At times, it's incredibly disorienting. But when you combine all of that visual noise with a high-tension shootout with Shanghai's police department, it makes the whole thing feel incredibly manic and, well, dangerous. Another nice touch is that some shots hit so hard that they'll knock you down. It's not really Gears-style bleed out situation. Instead, it's just one more way for the game to keep you off-balance. You can stand up with a quick press of the A button, or crawl behind cover and get up in a slightly safer place. But seeing it in motion is what really sells Kane & Lynch 2. That's why it's kind of frustrating that so little video footage has been released so far.

And here are some new screenshots. Square-Enix and IO are set to show off the game's multiplayer soon, so we'll have more on the game's Fragile Alliance mode in the relatively near future.

Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seraphim84

yep?
 EDIT: i was so worried i was gonna have to refresh giantbomb every 5 minutes for weeks to come.  I thank you Sir Gerstmann.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By CaptainObvious

Interesting.

railbird13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By railbird13

Sounds like decent improvements over the 1st one, actually looking forward to hearing more in the coming months

Heliosicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Heliosicle

Cools, seems like its using the hitman engine, while it was good for 5 years ago, I dunno about now...

mbkish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By mbkish

cool beans

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fwylo

Wooord

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By zidane_24

Glad it seems a little improved over the last one.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By bonbolapti

well it DOES see pretty cool

chmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chmod

I'd rather see another Hitman game, but this looks pretty good.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By takua108

I agree, I want to see more in-game video footage of this game. I wonder if the marketing department doesn't want to show it because "it'll look crappy and make people not want to play it?" I'm personally a huge fan of visual filters like the ones they're using in this game and I want to see more of it.

Erkenbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Erkenbrand

Textures look a little iffy

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Milkman

I still haven't seen anything that has really convinced me either way about Kane & Lynch 2. But I'll remain cautiously optimistic. 

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hot_Karl
@Theavsfan said:
" I'd rather see another Hitman game, but this looks pretty good. "
This. I miss that bald son-of-a-gun. 
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bgrngod

Crap.  You mean to tell me we are getting this series INSTEAD of a new Freedom Fighters game?

Lamesauce with an extra side of shitballs.

Hoping this one ends up good.  I'm still a little bitter about the $15 I spent on the last one.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

Lookin better n better with the more I see of it.
nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nail1080

Never thought I'd see the day....

so seriously how much did they pay you?

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By subject2change

Hoping for a co-op demo. I'd only play this game co-op, if it at all.

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Moeez

Really? You guys haven't seen the new gameplay footage? Get ready...

generalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By generalen

Seems alright I guess, but I'd rather have a new Hitman game. I still load up Silent Assassin and Blood Money every now and then.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By John1912

I find myself being interested in this game.  Has potential....Potential usually turns into a let down however. 

deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By deadly_polo

sounds good, I like Bourne style shakycam so this could be an interesting experience

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo

I'm ashamed to admit that I actually got stuck on one mission in K&L and had to stop playing it.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By Chris2KLee

Hmmmmm, still don't know about this one.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Kinda glad to hear that there's a game where your character doesn't just eat bullets.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By skrutop

Visual tricks are all well and good, but it doesn't matter if the game isn't fun.  Regardless of any of that, this is one of those games that will be down to $30 within three-to-four months of release (and $15 used in six), so I see no need to pick it up until it gets cheap.

Bayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bayne

If its just standard third person shooter with a crazy camera. I'm not interested. I dunno Kane and Lynch just seems to piss me off. It just dosn't appeal.

Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jeff  Staff
@Bgrngod: As I understand it, IO doesn't own the rights to the Freedom Fighters name. So it's sort of out of their hands.
Advertisement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Advertisement

Kane and Lynch was an ugly, ugly game. I'm surprised this one is seeming better

TheMoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheMoD

I can't help but smirk whenever I read something kane and lynch related on giant bomb. :) Anyway I'm really looking forward to k&l2
Baljot187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Baljot187

Wasn't Blood Money enough of a success to justify a new game? With some of that Squeenix money, I'd like to see a new Hitman on a new engine.  
WIth new owners, I'd like to think that a new Freedom Fighters isn't so farfetched either. COME ON!

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bionicicide

Most anticipated game of 2010.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Siphillis
@nail1080 said:
" Never thought I'd see the day....  so seriously how much did they pay you? "
I knew Jeff would sell out to Eidos one of these days...
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By crusader8463

The game looks interesting. If I recall correctly the firsts PC version was horribly optimized and ran like complete shit, so here's hoping this one does a better job. If it's even coming out for PC this time around that is.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35  Edited By Cube

generic comment about jeff getting fired over his K&L review 

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fripplebubby

I just finished the original K & L on PC, and honestly, I loved it. I get that other people have other opinions, but still. Awesome. I really liked the THEORY of the fragile alliance shit, and I hope they make that a lot better. 

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By Berezov

Looks how the sequel should look, still, I doubt it's going to win any awards.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By buzz_killington

FUCKING AAA!!!!
Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

This sounds interesting - I really hope this will be worth my time since I really enjoyed most of IO's work in the past. I actually was fine with the first K&L too (though it wasn't mindblowing or anything like that) but so far I'm not that sure I want another installment. Well, I'll certainly hope for the best! 

@generalen: Yeah, that's true, I hope we'll get another one of those later!   
@Jeff: Well shit! I didn't even know that but thanks for the update on that. At least I can bury that hope now - Freedom Fighters really is an excellent game. 

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#40  Edited By Brackynews

" generic comment about jeff getting fired over his K&L review  "

[generic comment about lame commenters should move on with their lives like the rest of the world]
digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By digital_sin

jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jeffk38uk

Prob one of the few that liked the first K&L despite its many issues, even tho I was pretty burned that it felt like an inferior version of the excellent Freedom Fighters mentioned.

Glad to see tho that K&L2 is shaping up to be visually something pretty unique.

mrburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mrburger

If this game comes out and is actually rad, I am going to shed a tear for poignance.  And if it gets a 5-star review, then the review page should be backed by a midi of like that song from the end of Mulan when all the people in the city are bowing for her:  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN4euhZZU9c

Right?

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kovie

Remember kids, if you hate on K&L, then Jeff MIGHT let you be his best friend.

But regardless, I'm going to continue looking forward to this game.  The changes and additions have been very interesting so far.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#45  Edited By damnboyadvance
*insert comment mentioning Jeff, IO, and Gamespot*

Na, not really! But I am a little interested to see what this game will turn into, especially the multiplayer.
sanzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sanzee

Give the review to Jeff! Let's piss of Eidos again! :)

ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By ChernobylCow

Typographical error: second paragraph, first sentence.
"For those of you just joining us, the previous Kane & Lynch game focused a lot of squad tactics. "

Scratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By Scratch

Hmm...everytime  I see an article on K&L 2 I wonder what's up with the next Hitman game. :(

sublime90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sublime90

i love K&L and im really excited for this game. august 24th people!!! welcome to shanghai

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#50  Edited By MeatSim

Game obviously needs big-ass ramps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.