Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ken Levine

Person » credited in 15 games

Ken Levine is the founder and creative director of Irrational Games, and has developed games such as Freedom Force, System Shock 2, and BioShock.

The most important man in video games

Hilit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Hilit

Ken Levine is the only man pushing the story telling element in our medium forward. Games like MGS are just taking their cues from films and using cutscenes to tell the story. Ken is actually progressing the medium by working story into his games in a seemless way, creating the highest sense of immersion.

Put simply MGS tells a story in a way that any film could. Bioshock tells a story in a way only a videogame could.

While I believe the guys at Valve are doing the same thing with the Half-Life games there isn't that 1 man above all running the show on the creation side like Ken is.

Hats off to Ken and I hope you push it even more in Bioshock 2.

norton123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By norton123

I agree somewhat. Ken Levine certainly isn't the most important man in video games but he does play a substantially big role in the industry. He does deliver a breath-taking story without the use of 20 minute cut scenes, and I do give him a tremendous amount of respect for that. Ken deserves credit for most of Bioshock's success; however, I don't feel he is the most important man in the video game industry.

Dakota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Dakota
    Hilit said:
    "Ken Levine is the only man pushing the story telling element in our medium forward. Games like MGS are just taking their cues from films and using cutscenes to tell the story. Ken is actually progressing the medium by working story into his games in a seemless way, creating the highest sense of immersion.

Put simply MGS tells a story in a way that any film could. Bioshock tells a story in a way only a videogame could.

While I believe the guys at Valve are doing the same thing with the Half-Life games there isn't that 1 man above all running the show on the creation side like Ken is.

"
    Well, its good that you included Half-Life in your post as this form of storytelling appeared there many years before Bioshock. Where your wrong is that Gabe Newell was pretty much that "1 man above running the show" on the original Half-Life, making him, with your reasoning, just as important as Ken Levine. I think you are giving Ken way too much praise when you say he is the most important man in video games, I mean, hes really only come on to the map because of Bioshock. He has to do a lot more to earn that title. I would also just like to point out that Ken can't "push it even more" in Bioshock 2 because its not being developed by 2K Boston/Australia, its being developed by 2K Marin.
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Patchinko
    Hilit said:
    "Ken Levine is the only man pushing the story telling element in our medium forward. Games like MGS are just taking their cues from films and using cutscenes to tell the story. Ken is actually progressing the medium by working story into his games in a seemless way, creating the highest sense of immersion.

"
    I really couldn't disagree more with your statement about MGS. A MGS movie wouldn't work and would be very difficult to make not suck. Much of Snake's character development is through his experiences during the gameplay. MGS4's story feeds off its gameplay and vice-versa. They could go ahead and have the story play out completely before Snake's eyes in a first-person perspective and it'd be much like Bioshock (but with, in my opinion, a far better storyline and gameplay).
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Patchinko said:
    "Hilit said:

"
    I really couldn't disagree more with your statement about MGS. A MGS movie wouldn't work and would be very difficult to make not suck. Much of Snake's character development is through his experiences during the gameplay. MGS4's story feeds off its gameplay and vice-versa. They could go ahead and have the story play out completely before Snake's eyes in a first-person perspective and it'd be much like Bioshock (but with, in my opinion, a far better storyline and gameplay)."
    MGS4' gameplay and story are subjugated off completely from one another. Any time there's any story development, your controller is taken from you and you have to watch a cutscene. Not saying I don't like MGS, but its far from prime video game story telling. It is a movie.

After playing Bioshock, I can say that he has good intentions, but he hasn't nailed it yet, as no one has. You have to tell the story through classic gaming conventions: boss fights, level design, puzzles, all that good stuff. There was too much dialogue (or should I say monologue) in Bioshock. Getting your point across through puzzles and level design is much harder than having two people talk (or one person talk to himself) for a few minutes.

And yes, I am full well aware that I am alone in this.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a gay friend who is attracted to him.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By kush

I think he is one of the most important men/women in the business right now out of a small group of "elite" designers/programmers etc. I can't bring myself to say he is the "the most" important even though Bioshock may be my favorite game of all time.

Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Keano

No.

Theres only one - 

caption
    caption

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By clubsandwich

The most important man in the gaming industry is Miyamoto. Ken Levine is one of the big guys, though.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#10  Edited By Vinchenzo

Half-Life storytelling > Bioshock storytelling.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Emilio
    Keano said:
    "No.
    Theres only one -
    Dude Huge is the most important person in the video game industry.
    True.

Miyamoto? More like Lamemamoto.
    Kojima? More like Borejima.
    Wright? More like... Wrong!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187
    The most important entity in video games
    The most important entity in video games
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kush
    Keano said:
    "No.
    Theres only one - 
    "
    If there were only 5 ...he wouldn't be one of them.
    Gillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Gillo

dude's initials are M.A.

krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By krisgebis
    @Vinchenzo:  System shock storytelling > Half-life storytelling
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Raymayne

Dude why the fuck is this thread back!?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.