Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kerbal Space Program

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 27, 2015

Players create their own rockets from a variety of parts and then attempt to launch them into space.

My first - and second - attempt at Project B.E.A.S.T. 6 - The Luda Lander 1.0

OrzBlueFog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OrzBlueFog

Hoo boy.

There were some real improvements with the design for The Luda Lander in this video, but overall the final version they launched was a step back from MunShot Check Fuel Lines in Project B.E.A.S.T. 4. I didn't launch the design they teased at the end of the video - got to save something for the next one!

In summary the thing is very much a pain to fly, bogged down with fuel, and the itty-bitty side-mounted thruster stage makes no sense whatsoever. The solar panels are super outsized for what's needed, but make more sense than the externally-mounted nuclear fuel source. Keep trying, guys!

ATTEMPT #1

The Luda Lander! No changes whatsoever from the last one they launched in the video.
    The Luda Lander! No changes whatsoever from the last one they launched in the video.
    Liftoff! Launching during daylight makes it way easier!
    Liftoff! Launching during daylight makes it way easier!
    First stage separation. She's wobbly and unwieldy, so we're going to fly straight up for a while
    First stage separation. She's wobbly and unwieldy, so we're going to fly straight up for a while
    Second stage separation and nearing the start of our gravity turn
    Second stage separation and nearing the start of our gravity turn
    Last asparagus stage jettisoned and burning to circularize
    Last asparagus stage jettisoned and burning to circularize
    We have an orbit!
    We have an orbit!
    Solar panels deployed! ... These are REALLY overkill.
    Solar panels deployed! ... These are REALLY overkill.
    Mun rendezvous!
    Mun rendezvous!
    Yeah so... the stages designated for landing on the Mun are already gone and we're burning our return trip fuel to land...
    Yeah so... the stages designated for landing on the Mun are already gone and we're burning our return trip fuel to land...
    Never mind that, let's go to the Mun!
    Never mind that, let's go to the Mun!
    Almost there...
    Almost there...
    Touchdown!
    Touchdown!
    I hope you like it here Valentia...
    I hope you like it here Valentia...
    Because you don't have anywhere near the fuel to get home...
    Because you don't have anywhere near the fuel to get home...

ATTEMPT #2

Okay so let's try to optimize liftoff, Mun transfer, and Mun landing a little better and see how we do.

Liftoff and separation!
    Liftoff and separation!
    Made it to the Mun! Preparing to land!
    Made it to the Mun! Preparing to land!
    Back on the Mun!
    Back on the Mun!
    Liftoff and low Mun orbit achieved!
    Liftoff and low Mun orbit achieved!
    ... And this is where all the liquid fuel ran out... still in orbit around the Mun!
    ... And this is where all the liquid fuel ran out... still in orbit around the Mun!
    Monopropellant to the rescue!!!
    Monopropellant to the rescue!!!
    Aaand this is where all the monopropellant ran out. So close! Sort of...
    Aaand this is where all the monopropellant ran out. So close! Sort of...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

A sneak peek of episode 7? Doubt they can land that Beast of a ship on the moon. Nice job.

hach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hach

At the last stage, if you had burned less with the mono propellent, wouldn't that have set you on a crash course to kerbin? At which point you could drop the last stage just before atmosphere and use the parachute to land safely on kerbin?

These are great by the way, fun to look at after each project beast

Soulreaverm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Soulreaverm

@hark: They would have been burning monopropellant to lower the periapsis. Basically shrinking that side of the orbit from one that was close-to-but-not-quite the orbit that the Mun does. So unfortunately no. Unless there's some crazy orbital maneuvering trick I don't know about, which is far from impossible.

@orzbluefog: This is really cool! So with the addition of the solid fuel stage, you could prooobably make it. (The BEAST crew... less likely.)

OrzBlueFog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OrzBlueFog

@hark said:

At the last stage, if you had burned less with the mono propellent, wouldn't that have set you on a crash course to kerbin? At which point you could drop the last stage just before atmosphere and use the parachute to land safely on kerbin?

These are great by the way, fun to look at after each project beast

I'm afraid not. Burning less with the monopropellant would have put my perapsis - the closest approach to Kerbin - would have been farther away, not closer. The burn was on a perfect retrograde at the apoapsis, maximizing the closeness of the approach for the least amount of fuel. Note that the liquid fuel ran out in orbit around the MUN, not around Kerbin - I had to use monopropellant to change orbits to Kerbin, and to reduce the perapsis.

Maybe, maybe with a few more piloting optimizations I could pull it off. I might give it another go, but it would be a razor-thin thing.

Thanks for your comment and kind words! They're much appreciated.

hach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orzbluefog: @soulreaverm: ah I see, still pretty damn close given that the whole mun landing stage with the tiny thrusters was basically a wash!

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I know very little about Kerbal Space Program (most of my knowledge comes from Vinny actually, which is probably not a good thing), but it seemed like they simultaneously put one foot forward and one foot backwards with The Luda Lander. They are addressing problems, but the design seems too big for their purposes. It's telling that they managed to crash land on the Mun in the first episode and they have a ship in Episode 06 which is struggling to get out of orbit.

It is encouraging to see somebody actually make it to the Mun with that monster. Good job.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's telling that they managed to crash land on the Mun in the first episode and they have a ship in Episode 06 which is struggling to get out of orbit.

I think their first designs are based off a solid template that Vinny was trying to recreate. He has played the game before, and from the way he builds his rocket in episode 1 you can tell he is putting it together from memory. That's why it works after he adds in the things he forgot about and works out some kinks. My guess is that the memory he is using is a rocket he built back in pre-release that was based on a template or tutorial.

The Luda Lander is built from the ground up using what they collectively know, or what they think they know, about rocket building. You see them trying to reason their way in and out of which parts to use, testing what works and what doesn't etc. All that trial and error and they will eventually land back at a similar design to the template that Vinny used in episode 1 (hopefully, probably).

I think doing their own trial and error building will make them better at the game because when you do it like this, you understand better why you have these parts and what they do and how you could make changes.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

@gerrid: Yeah it does feel like they are making progress with the problems from the earlier episodes. It's just funny seeing them having a bigger issue than "sweeping the floor" with their current ship.

I still have hope for the direction they are going in (again, as somebody who has only played this game for a couple of hours and only knows what he knows through Vinny and me assuming they are probably doing something wrong). The multiple phases seems like it will help manage the being stranded out in space problem at least.

OrzBlueFog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gerrid: Yeah it does feel like they are making progress with the problems from the earlier episodes. It's just funny seeing them having a bigger issue than "sweeping the floor" with their current ship.

I still have hope for the direction they are going in (again, as somebody who has only played this game for a couple of hours and only knows what he knows through Vinny and me assuming they are probably doing something wrong). The multiple phases seems like it will help manage the being stranded out in space problem at least.

They are slowly making select wiser choices - mounting stuff inline like the batteries as opposed to bolted on the side, learning what parachutes and power sources to use, learning the value of symmetry, and learning not to make super-tall rockets. It's good progress, and setbacks are to be expected as they progress from more 'templated' rockets to learning what works on their own.

OrzBlueFog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hark: They would have been burning monopropellant to lower the periapsis. Basically shrinking that side of the orbit from one that was close-to-but-not-quite the orbit that the Mun does. So unfortunately no. Unless there's some crazy orbital maneuvering trick I don't know about, which is far from impossible.

@orzbluefog: This is really cool! So with the addition of the solid fuel stage, you could prooobably make it. (The BEAST crew... less likely.)

The solid fuel stage they had in the previous MunShot was a bit of a nightmare - see the other thread where I recreated Project B.E.A.S.T 4's mission for details on that! Still, adding some SRBs and strutting the thing together properly sure would have helped.

OrzBlueFog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orzbluefog Why not just go straight to the Mun from Kerbin instead of setting up a low-Kerbin orbit first? You would need to eyeball the angle to see how far ahead of the Mun you need to launch to get an intercept (or use that one protractor Mod), but you'd almost certainly have enough fuel left over to make it back.

If you're reaching space (70K altitude) and continuously burning to extend your apoapsis to a Mun intercept right at launch there's really only a savings of time. Circularizing and waiting doesn't really consume that much extra fuel vs. going there in one shot, and I wanted to stick as close to their methodology as possible with just a few piloting tweaks - they repeatedly state how they want to 'get to orbit first'.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.