Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kerbal Space Program

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 27, 2015

Players create their own rockets from a variety of parts and then attempt to launch them into space.

My variation on Project B.E.A.S.T. 09 - Luda Lander Teaser Variation, Mission 2Flaggz!

OrzBlueFog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OrzBlueFog

So after taking the Luda Lander they used for most of the video to its extremes in my previous adventure there was little point in reusing essentially the same design for this video's recreation attempt. Luckily Vinny was so kind as to build a variant design right at the end! They joked in the video about visiting the Mun and Minmus on one flight and planting two flags... so let's try and pull it off!

The variation of the Luda Lander Vinny briefly flew at the end of the video. No changes from the design in the video!
    The variation of the Luda Lander Vinny briefly flew at the end of the video. No changes from the design in the video!
    Liftoff! If you keep your control inputs subtle it actually doesn't fly too badly, even if it is aerodynamically dubious.
    Liftoff! If you keep your control inputs subtle it actually doesn't fly too badly, even if it is aerodynamically dubious.
    Gravity turn! Maybe this design is good after all!
    Gravity turn! Maybe this design is good after all!
    "What was that noise?" Okay so it turns out that the huge fuel tanks are welded to the central rocket, and trying to jettison them only ejects the separators.

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD

So some minor changes are necessary. First, we replace the flat separators with the raised ones, then add some struts to ensure stability. Minor changes overall, I think, and still in the spirit of the design.

The tweaked BEAST, piloted by the intrepid Kertrice Kerman!
    The tweaked BEAST, piloted by the intrepid Kertrice Kerman!
    "I don't suppose you could have found me an uglier ship to fly."
    "Still, all things considered, not the worst-handling ship imaginable."
    "Oh, the tanks actually detached this time. Well that's an improvement."
    Direct intercept course for Minmus!
    Direct intercept course for Minmus!
    "Am I going to be landing on the dark side of this lumpy misshapen rock?" "Kinda."
    "Hello Minmus!"
    "This little sideburner stage... actually isn't too bad for Minmus's weak gravity."
    "Maybe I should deploy the landing gear anyway.... just in case this thing topples over in the dark."
    "Holy Kerbin that's a bit of a slope."
    Kertrice Kerman, ever the competitive Kerbalnaut, lands with two stages still attached to the landing stage - one more than her sworn rival Eriphia Kerman did on Ike.
    Kertrice Kerman, ever the competitive Kerbalnaut, lands with two stages still attached to the landing stage - one more than her sworn rival Eriphia Kerman did on Ike.
    Accelerating to daylight to better see our surroundings. That slope could have been a lot worse if we'd landed nearby!
    Accelerating to daylight to better see our surroundings. That slope could have been a lot worse if we'd landed nearby!
    "This is our flag, huh?" "Well... yes. Isn't it inspirational?" "Not really..."
    "Smile for the camera, Kertrice!"
    Back on board for our next stop
    Back on board for our next stop
    "Okay, so I survived the first one. What's next?"
    "Back to our old friend, the Mun!"
    "I am an expert navigator." "You stumbled across that course out of sheer luck, didn't you Kertrice?" "..."
    Mun transfer burn complete, fuel is transferred from the bottom tank to the upper tanks. The empty bottom tank is then jettisoned.
    Mun transfer burn complete, fuel is transferred from the bottom tank to the upper tanks. The empty bottom tank is then jettisoned.
    "Direct approach to the Mun... and on the dark side again."
    Descending to the Mun with Kerbin in the background.
    Descending to the Mun with Kerbin in the background.
    Sideburner stage empty, it's time to jettison it. Plenty of fuel in our lander stage, and we only need a little to finish landing.
    Sideburner stage empty, it's time to jettison it. Plenty of fuel in our lander stage, and we only need a little to finish landing.
    "Purple is pretty and all, but couldn't we have packed some wider-focus lights so I can actually see?"
    Touchdown! Time accelerated to daylight to better see our surroundings. Nice and flat this time.
    Touchdown! Time accelerated to daylight to better see our surroundings. Nice and flat this time.
    "I was wondering why we packed two of these things."
    Liftoff from the Mun! Only one solar array is deployed just in case the lander toppled over. These ones can't be retracted, and one is plenty anyways.
    Liftoff from the Mun! Only one solar array is deployed just in case the lander toppled over. These ones can't be retracted, and one is plenty anyways.
    Direct course for home!
    Direct course for home! "I don't really feel like spending a couple of weeks in aerobraking orbits..."
    "Must we always land at night?"
    "Don't you think it's time to jettison the lander stage?" "I'll jettison it when I'm good and ready!"
    "... Okay maybe that was a little close."
    Good chute!
    Good chute!
    Splashdown!
    Splashdown!
    "Uh, I've been out here all night. Isn't anyone coming to pick me up?"
    Kertrice Kerman, ready for another mission!
    Kertrice Kerman, ready for another mission!

PREVIOUS MISSIONS:

rasnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is awsome! Good job!

OrzBlueFog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rasnik said:

This is awsome! Good job!

Thanks friend. The missions are fun to fly and the feedback is much appreciated!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Enjoyable as always

dannyglover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was pretty funny how the giant fuel tanks didn't detach the first time. I'm enjoying these missions and images.

OrzBlueFog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was pretty funny how the giant fuel tanks didn't detach the first time. I'm enjoying these missions and images.

I sort of suspected they wouldn't detach. I was a little surprised, though, when the separators themselves decided to bid bon voyage!

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Further proof that the B.E.A.S.T. project is a concerted and scientific exploration of the solar system, not a money burning and Kerbal murdering scheme as it's detractors would suggest.

Are you planning launch windows and trajectories specifically to catch other planetoids or simply getting lucky?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Still enjoying these. Always fun to check out what you do after the latest episode.

OrzBlueFog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OrzBlueFog

Further proof that the B.E.A.S.T. project is a concerted and scientific exploration of the solar system, not a money burning and Kerbal murdering scheme as it's detractors would suggest.

Are you planning launch windows and trajectories specifically to catch other planetoids or simply getting lucky?

For my previous Ike mission I did some planning. I could have done better, though, to cut down on the mission time and probably save fuel.

I did line up Minmus reasonably well on this mission for a more-or-less direct approach. The direct course to the Mun from Minmus, though? Pure luck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.