Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killer Instinct

Franchise »

A series of fast-paced fighting games from famous second-party developer Rare.

I think the time is now for a new Killer Instinct.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

TLDR version: I think this game is great for competitive play, and Rare should really reconsider bringing the franchise back now, especially while fighting games are hot.  

While search the other day through a local-used video/videogame store that has a lot of classic games in there (they have a freaking Intellivision in there!), I found an N64 with Killer Instinct Gold. And playing it recently, the game still holds up remarkable well even by today's fighting resurgence. 

Now, I haven't played the game since about 1997 which at the time I was only 13-14 years old and didn't really have a firm grasp on fighting game mechanics. In Street Fighter II, MK2-3 and Xmen vs. Streetfighter, I kind of just mashed buttons and had a blast. 

After spending a lot of time with the new MK, MVC3 and Street Fighter IV (all editions), I can say the fighting mechanics in Killer Instinct Gold are pretty complex and challenging and now that I have a better mind and understanding of the game, could really see this game on a competitive level. 

For those unfamiliar, Killer Instinct uses a combo-linking system that is somewhat similar to MVC3 style of buttons where you can use lighter/quicker hits to combo in harder hits and vice versa with special moves and finishers.  

It also had an EX/Super meter for advanced moves, air juggles, combo breakers, fatalities, ultra combos, and fighting in 2.5D and I honestly think the game was ahead of it's time. It also had amazing music.  

Now, with EVO being as big as it is and fighting games making a comeback, I certainly wish Rare would SERIOUSLY reconsider making this game. I know they said that they don't believe in returning to old franchises and lately all their efforts have been spent on making Xbox 360 avatar items, but after playing Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, I still firmly believe they can make an A+ game with amazing visuals.  

I wish there was some petition or way to get them to seriously rethink making this game. I know Joystiq.com has been adamant about trying to get Rare to reconsider and try to make a new one or at least reissue and HD remake or hell, an upres Street Fighter 3: Online Edition, but I just don't think they will and the beauty of this franchise will be lost in obscurity.  

It pains me to think that there are users on this site who weren't even born yet or even have any familiarity with this franchise which is so, so good. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.