Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

Talk to me about Killzone 2

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheJohn

After watching the quick look for KZ3 I kinda want to try out the franchise, and since KZ2 is pretty cheap nowadays I'm considering a buy. My only concern is that I'm a mediocre FPS player with WASD and a mouse, and even worse on consoles, so if the gameplay is too hectic, I end up not enjoying myself. As a reference; I finished the Modern Warfare 2 single player on the easiest difficulty, and if that story had been any fun I can see my self going through it again on a tougher setting.

So duders, what do you say? Should I buy this game?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

Yes. It's fairly cheap these days and if you've got a PS3 it's a must have in the collection.

dr_pineapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dr_pineapple

KZ2 sucked IMO. Ashame too, I was really hyped for it when it came out. :'(

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheJohn
    @Hamz: Thanks dude. I read the review, and felt confident, but in the comments for the QL for KZ3 I noticed some people giving KZ2 some flak for being kinda rough. But I'll probably buy it.

Anyone got any good reasons not to buy it?
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Definitely go for it. It's not too hard on normal, but it does have an easy mode. You can probably even change difficulty mid-campaign if it gets too rough for you. 

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By huntad

I was never a Killzone fan, so Killzone 2 was the first game in the series that I tried. In short, I loved it. The thing is, you have to wrap your head around the design choice. The guns, movement, and aiming are all weighed down. It will feel disorienting at first, but if you persist, I think you'll enjoy it. It's an amazing game.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Spoonman671

Killzone 2's aiming and movement are very slow and deliberate, and the game design is built to accommodate that so somebody who isn't good with analog sticks can probably get along fine.  The final boss is a monster though, so you might want to play it on easy anyway.

Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Scapegoat

The game is still fun on easy and it's definitely worth playing.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By shivermetimbers

That last level that has 5 guys with RPGs will kick-your-ass. Buy it anyway though, it's not the smoothest game ever, but it does have memerable moments.
    TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheJohn
    @dr_pineapple:@MooseyMcMan:@huntad:@Spoonman671:@Scapegoat:  Thanks for the input guys. Seems that the things some people were considering negative about this game might actually play to my "strengths"
    I'll buy it when I finish Assassins Creed II
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By OmegaPirate

People hated on killzone 2 because it wasn't call of duty or Halo, it really is that simple. 

The controls are very different to a modern day shooter - they are perfectly fine and serviceable, you just cant spin round 500 degrees in a split second, crack of 22 head shots then lunge teleport to stab 12 dudes in the neck! 
    The pace is far from frantic, in fact you'd probably be able to handle the carnage a little easier than modern warfare's preference of 500 dudes on screen with player seeking bullets - as the pacing and the weight to the guns makes the combat a bit more methodical! 

Also the multiplayer is a ton of fun - great variation, awesome maps and generally well thought out multi-player features, being able to cancel out spawn camping by sneaking an invisible team mate out to manually place your teams spawn points - the fact that each class plays so very differently, a weapon unlock system that makes some degree of sense - and the awesome game mode which changes the objective on the fly of the round can really force a team to change tactics and adapt on the fly , a hell of a lot more depth than most console shooters offer! 

Sorry if it sounds like im overselling it - and dont get me wrong i love pretty much every fps out there (hundreds of hours into mw2, bought reach and pre-ordered black ops) but i really really loved Kill-zone 2, it just got such a shit end of the stick when every fps released at this point in time has to play, run like, and control like CoD at this point, or its not good enough, there's nothing wrong with CoD's style either, they are just different types of the same game. 

The single player is well done, the story wont mean a lot to you unless you have invested in the first game at all (though a synopsis could do you fine there) but there are some interesting enough set pieces in there and i genuinely think the last 3rd of the campaign is definitely one of the better sections of gameplay in any modern FPS, not to mention the awesome ending, which is totally pumped up for Killzone 3! 

And the only reason I don't play it on-line as much as id want is my friends moved onto the next big thing, there is definitely the community still there, but it isn't the same on your own!  

If you do decide to take the plunge (and for a cheap price its practically a no brainer) feel free to send me a psn friend request and if you fancy a few multiplayer rounds i'd be happy to oblige ^_^ - if none of this is convincing enough then you could always look at the pretty graphics, game still looks hella good :D

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shivermetimbers
    @TheJohn:
    Just remember that the game has long load times that freeze the game for 10 seconds(and can even freeze the game completely). Enemies in multiplayer are bullet sponges and you have to crouch to be more accurate which creates a steap learning curve (you'll do this in singleplayer as well). Like I said, buy it despite these problems. I'm not good at FPS games either and I have a somehwat negative responce to them, but I loved this one.  

Edit: what I mean is that you'll be playing "twister" with the controls because you will have to crouch (L2) while aiming and shooting (L1) (R1)
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By copycatzen

KZ2 it's a fucking difficult Platinum to get.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheJohn
    @OmegaPirate: I'll definitely hit you up when I buy it. Thanks for reaching out. I've never played much online, but the Giant Bomb community is correcting that. It's like having a friend on the deck when you're gonna drop into a ramp for the first time. "Go on son. You'll make it!" 
    My first online FPS experience was Borderlands a couple of weeks ago. I sucked, but it was fun.

@shivermetimbers:
    Thanks for chiming in with some negatives as well. I've decided to buy it, but no game is perfect, and it's good to have some insight into what might annoy me.
    Avatar image for anamericanpatriot
    AnAmericanPatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheJohn:  
    IT'S pretty good BUT IT WILL make you fucking CURSE THE living daylights out OF WHOEVER INVENTED spamming ENEMIES. Stuff like the bridge level CAN BE BEYOND frustrating, especially ON HIGH DIFFICULTIES. Also, don't RELY ON your AI partners.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Enigma777

It's the best FPS currently on the PS3 imo.

Shame they ruined KZ3 (or at least the beta) by removing all gun recoil, making every gun extremely accurate (you can snipe with a damn LMG!), added autoaim that would even shame MW2 and "upgraded" the server list matchmaking into party-based system a la BC2 that can't even form two properly-balanced teams 95% of the time...

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Djeffers03

If the aiming didn't suck so bad it would have been a great game. Would could have been a 5/5 went to a 3/5 due to the floaty aiming, say what you will about it being realistic and shit, it simply was not fun.  

Also if you wanna have some fun in the singleplayer whip out your knife, you can blaze through 1/2 of the game with that monster.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By niamahai

i could never get into KZ2 for some strange reason. I get a feeling that the dev were trying to make a PC shooter on a console. 
    Maybe with the move support KZ3 will 'feel' better.

The other PS3 FPS Resistance also didn't draw me in. It felt reaaaly old, like how the AI attack pattern consists on strafing in&out of cover. How slow the bullets reach its target. Aim down the sight = ZOOM down the sight.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FancySoapsMan

The multi-player is a lot of fun, and it's not as fast paced as Call of Duty, so it's a bit easier to get into.

but the single player is weak. fuck you rico.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.