Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

Were you completely satisfied with KZ2?

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By asurastrike

After years of hype for the game, now that it is out, are you satisfied with it?

Personally I love the single player, but was massively disappointed with the multiplayer. It reminds me of trying to play a FPS on console pre-halo.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By MAST

I really liked Killzone 2 visually, that is, until i played it. Then it just seemed like there was way too much going on, it almost hurts my eyes. Way too much explosions and debris, intrusive blood effects, and blur effects, etc. It's also way to dark, it seemed like i was always squinting, trying to see, even when i had the brightness turned way up... I was always ok with the controls, i got used to them so that they didn't bother me. The multiplayer was alright, but it still didn't seem as easy to use as Call of Duty 4 multiplayer, which ended up making me not want to play it. The guns also really disappointed me. There was only one gun i liked, the rest were really bland to me.

Overall, i can't really put my finger on exactly what it is that makes me dislike Killzone 2. Most of it is what i said about the graphics, but there is something else too... I played it for about a month after release, and haven't touched it again since then.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zyn
    @Asurastrike said:
    "Personally I love the single player, but was massively disappointed with the multiplayer."
    I'm actually the opposite.  I find the single player boring and frustrating.  The A.I. in single player sucks.  Your teammate (especially Rico) would run in, get down'd and you'd have to revive him.  No help at all, just being annoying.  Also, personally, the addition of boss battles in a FPS is stupid.  Multiplayer was good, not great.  I don't really like class-based multiplayer FPS but it didn't bother me as much in Killzone 2.  I did hate the grinding required to unlock all class abilities.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Akeldama

after i got the platinum, yes.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ineedaname

The single player combat was okay, my obvious complaint the way it controlled, however the story was terrible, it seemed as if I was going from one point to another with something causing me to shoot people, but without any results, also I remember someone on here saying the story is fully fledged on their website with back stories and what not, but none of that got used, which just bemuses me.
    The guns were pretty good, that was something I really liked in the game, the visuals and what not did have a little too much going on, too look at they were incredible, but to play sometimes got annoying.

Onto the multiplayer, once you get into it's not that bad, I still play it every so often for something to do, my only problem is the blance and attaining some badges just seems like an incredible effort.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By shadows_kill

yes i was. both sp and mp. i expected ALOT from the sp and it delivered. for mp i didnt really expect much until right around release time when they started talking about it and it was definatly amazing and of course it delivered graphicaly

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai

I like it very much. The only real complain I have about it is that the universe of Killzone 2 is very rich but they didn't really use the. I like the MP, which is rare for me to like. The grahpics are just amazing the enemy AI is just vicious. 

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Not at all, I was completely unsatisfied with the game. It just wasn't my cup of tea.  I tried a few times to get into it and each time I got turned off. I'm sure one day I'll give it another shot, but I'm not really looking for that day anytime soon. It seems like so many people like it too, so I suppose I'm the outcast.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Brundage

wish the multiplayer wasn't so claustrophobic in a full game but other then that it was a great game

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By JamesF

The game was great overall, but the multi didn't hook me like other games. It was a good purchase but not the best.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JammyJesus

I disliked Killzone 2 quite a bit, don't get me wrong, I can see why people like it, but there was something about the control scheme that made it feel  inaccurate and frustrating.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Cube

Yes, I loved it.

OMGITSJASON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OMGITSJASON
    @Asurastrike:

Yes
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eclipsesis

yeah i liked it, i thought the story could have been a bit more epic, but i guess it works as a military shooter. I had much more appreciation of the game once i completed it on the hardest difficulty

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Akeldama
    @Cube said:
    " Yes, I loved it. "
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the game, it's my current favorite on PS3.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By TheHBK

Fuck no.  Fuck Rico.  Fuck that control scheme.  After all that hype, it feels like a quick burst in the PS3s line up.  No where near the staying power and community that Halo or COD4 has.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VWGTI

Nah, it wasn't that great to me. It was the controls that ruined the game for me, even with the patch. The multiplayer was great, but sadly I'm not big into multiplayer so I didn't get much out of the game.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive

MASSIVELY SATISFIED.  

Perfect SP for me, just how i like my FPS games. And the MP is outstanding!

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AuthenticM

Nope. Forgettable story and more-than-shitty controls. The game is still fucking awesome though.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @Asurastrike said:

" After years of hype for the game, now that it is out, are you satisfied with it? Personally I love the single player, but was massively disappointed with the multiplayer. It reminds me of trying to play a FPS on console pre-halo. "

I'm satisfied. However, attempting to obtain all the trophies feels like a tiresome duty.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By animateria

The single player ended in a bad way. But it's around the same level as Halo 2.

Stupid cliffhangers...

Anyways, the MP is really good. It's multiple mission structure works really well.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By bed

i've been waiting for killzone 2 since i finished the first one in 2005. it's an awesome game, but it didn't really keep my interest. the single player was a bit of a bore for me and the multi player, while good, didn't really hold my interest for long. i constantly tried to go back and play the single player but i just got bored. the multi player i occasionally play and it's pretty damn fun, and i love the way there's different game modes in each match. 

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By meptron

good. but the match making needed improvement. I bought the dlc but had trouble finding games on a regular bass that used them. Automated match making would be superior to the host system, or at least include it as an option, that way you could still set up a custom game if you wanted.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JoelTGM

Not completely.  The aiming is bad.  Once I got used to it, it was fun, but after taking a break I tried to play it again and hated the aim.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By regularassmilk

I really enjoyed campaign.
    Multiplayer, not at all.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Radar

After being spoiled by TF2, CoD4, and Halo 3 I can honestly say I hated it. It's not a bad game by any means but the controls/gameplay made me want to orally rape a komodo dragon. 

Was there even a story in KZ2? I honestly can't remember a single thing that happened.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @Radar said:

" After being spoiled by TF2, CoD4, and Halo 3 I can honestly say I hated it. It's not a bad game by any means but the controls/gameplay made me want to orally rape a komodo dragon.  Was there even a story in KZ2? I honestly can't remember a single thing that happened. "

People that I find spoiled, really aren't worth the effort explaining crap to. The controls at the start were difficult until I tweaked it to my liking though it still required sometime getting use to. There is a story in Killzone 2; The ISA favored a full-scale invasion of Helghan to capture Visari and secure Red Dawn rather then send in spec ops to assassinate Visari with extreme prejudice. Psychology isn't my expertise, however I intend to try. Being spoiled for a prolonged period of time, the individual will be in the state of blissfulness.
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kashif1

it wasn't the fps to end all shooters, it was really damn good

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vidiot

Horray for bumped threads!

Killzone 2's single player campaign was a convoluted visually stunning experience, that sacrificed context for big explosions. I didn't care what happened to virtually any of the characters in the story, the sergeant leader of the group in particular felt like the Jar Jar Binks of space marines. The characters were forgettable, I learned more about the characters personalities or personalities the developers attempted to make, via the game's loading screens versus the actual game itself. It was quite possible one of the only games where cursing annoyed me, as the script writers decided to force a four letter word somewhere in every other line instead of feeling natural. 

To be fair: It wasn't until I went online that I discovered stuff, like why I was shooting a bunch of space nazi's in the first place and what exactly the ISA was. The fact that there was virtually no attempt in-game to explain anything and that the core plot the game tried to follow was shallow and nonsensical, made a very eye-rolling experience. Reading online, it sounds like Guerrilla has a genuinely interesting sci-fi universe they have created, but they have no real idea how to portray it correctly in combination with their gameplay. I mean, throw me a write up somewhere in the manual at least.

Perhaps my write up of my initial experience, a few hours in to the game sums it up best:

The Hellghast are bad. I know this because they have British accents and have red eyes.
    I'm a good guy. People call me Sev. I'm with some other people. They tell me what to do. They also swear.
    I'm on the Hellghan planet. The Hellghast don't like that.  

The presentation of the campaign is great. It's still one of the best looking games released, ever. The production values are phenomenal battles look real and gritty, the scripted sequences are amazing and the music composed by Joris de Man is great.

It should be noted that the cumbersome aiming can be addressed by playing with the sensitivity, and that a patch was released that addressed the problem too. The multiplayer is also pretty standard but excellent stuff. So while the singleplayer may be shallow and inconsistent, it shouldn't be glossed over if you have a PS3. 
    Completely satisfied? No.
    Satisfied enough? Sure. 
    Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Radar
    @Alphiehyr said:
    " @Radar said:

" After being spoiled by TF2, CoD4, and Halo 3 I can honestly say I hated it. It's not a bad game by any means but the controls/gameplay made me want to orally rape a komodo dragon.  Was there even a story in KZ2? I honestly can't remember a single thing that happened. "

People that I find spoiled, really aren't worth the effort explaining crap to.   Explanation 
    Contradict more
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By copycatzen
    @Akeldama said:
    "after i got the platinum, yes. "

How hard are the trophies? I just got the game, please if you can compare with RE5, or SFIV or burnout paradise. Thanks
    Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of feel different with the multiplayer and control scheme. Looking at the glass half-full, the control lag scheme makes it so that you don't get headshotted so quickly from afar. I can understand how snipers would start breaking their controllers, though; I have nothing to say to that. The amount of bullets a standard soldier can take is pretty refreshing compared to Call of Duty and its whole get shot thrice, die, instant respawn.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CL60

I wish they would flesh out the story more in SP. Like, in the history the Helghast are pretty much not even the bad guys, you are.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Bouke

I love the multiplayer, i recently started playing it, and i think this game will probably be overlooked in the GOTY disscusions. Not saying it should be game ot the year, but it should get mentioned at least. I have a hard time getting through the singleplayer, its just not that much fun!
    RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RisingRaiden
    @MAST said:
    " I really liked Killzone 2 visually, that is, until i played it. Then it just seemed like there was way too much going on, it almost hurts my eyes. Way too much explosions and debris, intrusive blood effects, and blur effects, etc. It's also way to dark, it seemed like i was always squinting, trying to see, even when i had the brightness turned way up... I was always ok with the controls, i got used to them so that they didn't bother me. The multiplayer was alright, but it still didn't seem as easy to use as Call of Duty 4 multiplayer, which ended up making me not want to play it. The guns also really disappointed me. There was only one gun i liked, the rest were really bland to me.Overall, i can't really put my finger on exactly what it is that makes me dislike Killzone 2. Most of it is what i said about the graphics, but there is something else too... I played it for about a month after release, and haven't touched it again since then. "
    I agree with you about the graphics.
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By defaulttag

No. I got so hyped, I preordered it. When I played it and finished the campaign, I was disappointed. The multiplayer was not as fun as I hoped. One big reason was the controls sucked. (even with precision mode). I really wanted to aim with L2 and shoot with R2, but it's not possible. The cover system felt tacked on. The graphics do look amazing. but that's it. the story was not that engaging. there was a lot of unnecessary profanity as well. I wanted to like the game. I was excited because of all the good reviews it had. but deeply disappointed when I played it.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iamjohn

Well, since this old thread has been bumped, might as well reply!

I found the single player to be also-ran and never had the motivation to finish it.  I returned it before trying out the multiplayer.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By halberdierv2

i never finishedthe campign, but i ejoyed the Online multiplayer thoroughly.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    @MAST said:
    " I really liked Killzone 2 visually, that is, until i played it. Then it just seemed like there was way too much going on, it almost hurts my eyes. Way too much explosions and debris, intrusive blood effects, and blur effects, etc. It's also way to dark, it seemed like i was always squinting, trying to see, even when i had the brightness turned way up... I was always ok with the controls, i got used to them so that they didn't bother me. The multiplayer was alright, but it still didn't seem as easy to use as Call of Duty 4 multiplayer, which ended up making me not want to play it. The guns also really disappointed me. There was only one gun i liked, the rest were really bland to me.Overall, i can't really put my finger on exactly what it is that makes me dislike Killzone 2. Most of it is what i said about the graphics, but there is something else too... I played it for about a month after release, and haven't touched it again since then. "
    Fixed.  Get a new TV.  And change light bulb in room.  XD
    LoZonedOut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LoZonedOut

KZ2 is the best shooter this generation,  it requires you to aim your gun,  unlike most others that autoaim(Halo, COD, etc)
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Andorski

I thought the single player was pretty average, but the multiplayer really shined.  The multiple game modes on a single map made the game feel like a real warzone, and the class customization added a lot of strategy in how you wanted to play (although MW2 kinda trumps it in that respect now).  I also really liked the focus on team play in the game.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Boiglenoight
    @LoZonedOut: This is true.  I can't stand the auto-aiming on console FPS in general.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.