Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

Guerrilla Announces "Steel Rain" MP DLC For Killzone 3

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson
    Guerrilla Games is making it clear that it plans to support Killzone 3 post-release. This morning, the studio announced a second map pack, dubbed “Steel Rain,” for the recently released shooter. And unlike the Retro Map Pack, which was sold as a pre-order bonus, Steel Rain will feature brand new maps from the game’s up-and-down campaign--tweaked and reformatted for his or her pleasure, of course.

All together, there are two maps: MP-09 Junkyard and MP-10 Stahl Arms. The former is based in a--wait for it--junkyard filled with broken vehicles and exoskeletons. It’ll support the “Guerilla Warfare” game type and up to 16 people. Here are some screens, and do take note of the jetpack action going on:

Stahl Arms, on the other hand, is a 24-player map catered to Warzone play. Its name is taken directly from the setting: a Helghast research center based around humanoid experimentation. It’s quite colorful considering how ghastly it sounds.

No word on release date or price just yet, but the Killzone blog notes that a video is coming next week, and I imagine that both of these details will be bundled alongside it.  
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson
    Guerrilla Games is making it clear that it plans to support Killzone 3 post-release. This morning, the studio announced a second map pack, dubbed “Steel Rain,” for the recently released shooter. And unlike the Retro Map Pack, which was sold as a pre-order bonus, Steel Rain will feature brand new maps from the game’s up-and-down campaign--tweaked and reformatted for his or her pleasure, of course.

All together, there are two maps: MP-09 Junkyard and MP-10 Stahl Arms. The former is based in a--wait for it--junkyard filled with broken vehicles and exoskeletons. It’ll support the “Guerilla Warfare” game type and up to 16 people. Here are some screens, and do take note of the jetpack action going on:

Stahl Arms, on the other hand, is a 24-player map catered to Warzone play. Its name is taken directly from the setting: a Helghast research center based around humanoid experimentation. It’s quite colorful considering how ghastly it sounds.

No word on release date or price just yet, but the Killzone blog notes that a video is coming next week, and I imagine that both of these details will be bundled alongside it.  
    isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By isles

cool, needed more killzone 3 content already..

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By canucks23

This better be cheap as hell... Don't understand why they'd put stuff out so early.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fuck.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By dragonzord
    @canucks23 said:
    " This better be cheap as hell... Don't understand why they'd put stuff out so early. "
    So people wouldn't think they weren't going to support it? Because there's a good chunk of time leftover after the game goes gold for the devs to work on things like this?
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By RobotHamster

I'm probably going to buy this.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Why would anybody ever live on Helghan?  I would have jumped ship to the UCN/ISA instantly just to stay on Vekta.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By canucks23
    @zoner said:
    " @canucks23 said:
    " This better be cheap as hell... Don't understand why they'd put stuff out so early. "
    So people wouldn't think they weren't going to support it? Because there's a good chunk of time leftover after the game goes gold for the devs to work on things like this? "
    If dlc isn't released within a couple weeks people just assume the dev's are up and done with the game? I understand that they have a lot of time between finishing the game and it shipping, but releasing stuff this early just splits the userbase. Especially considering almost nobody played the kz2 map packs.
    Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Boiglenoight

Please stop selling maps.  It fragments the community.  Either release maps for free or ship them with the original game. 

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ALavaPenguin

I want more Operations maps, only are 3 and that mode is way fun now.

the_dudefather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_dudefather

STEEL RAIN YOU SAY?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Afroman269

I'm kinda disappointed, I want more operations maps. Those ones were pretty fun but there's only three maps for it.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Jackel2072

i still feel like they are shooting them self in the foot by segregating the maps to certain modes. i hate TDM in this game (the rounds are way to short) 

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Jayross

Too soon? Why didn't they just put it into the game?

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By m0rdr3d

I like Killzone, but 2 maps? Just wait until you've got a couple more done.  That pack had better be CHEAP.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Spoonman671
    @zoner said:
    " @canucks23 said:
    So people wouldn't think they weren't going to support it? Because there's a good chunk of time leftover after the game goes gold for the devs to work on things like this? "
    Or so that they can increase the longevity of the multiplayer by adding more content while there is still a substantial community?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@the_dudefather said:
    " STEEL RAIN YOU SAY?

"
    Hahaha that was great.  

And I will be getting the DLC even if it is a little on the early side, but I to wish there was an operations map.
    beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#18  Edited By beard_of_zeus
    @Jackel2072 said:
    " i still feel like they are shooting them self in the foot by segregating the maps to certain modes. i hate TDM in this game (the rounds are way to short)  "
    I agree, I almost never play Guerrilla Warfare because it goes by way too quickly. Warzone is where it's at for me! Operations is fun from time to time, although I wish there were more than 3 scenarios at the moment.

I almost never buy MP DLC (because I usually don't get all that into the MP of most games), but I've been having a great time with this game, so I might pick this up. Wish it was more than 2 maps though, especially since each one is segregated to its own mode.
    cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cheesebob

I would've prefered Chocolate Rain, personally.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Bucketdeth said:
    " @the_dudefather said:
    " STEEL RAIN YOU SAY?

"
    Hahaha that was great.   And I will be getting the DLC even if it is a little on the early side, but I to wish there was an operations map. "
    Goddamn! I was beatent to it! 

No doubt, Force Commander Indrick Boreale would be proud of these turn of events!
    Fearsome121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fearsome121
    @keef: Couldn't agree more, something along the lines of bfbc2 where if you buy new then you get all future maps.. If they've had the time to finish these maps between the time they went gold and now they shoul be free, this is what i'm paying for when i pay 60euros for a game, not just to get nickle-and-dimed after a few weeks.. :c
    Sawboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sawboss

I expect 5 bucks for these two maps. Or it better be 5 bucks or I'm never going to buy them.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Raineko
    @keef said:

" Please stop selling maps.  It fragments the community.  Either release maps for free or ship them with the original game.  "

I agree with this.  
    Also nothing is worse than paying 10 bucks on a mappack and then realizing that most people aren't playing on them. 
    Maps should be free, I mean come on how long can it really take to design a map? Also it doesn't cost them really extra money right? 
    If games sites report about free maps then more people would buy the game.
    Rodrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Rodrik

Ugh...  This map pack and the retro map pack are maps that should have shipped with the retail game and be available to everyone instead of nickel and diming gamers. 

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Sooty

That second map is far from colourful, Nicholson.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By captain_clayman

this would be cool a couple months from now.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

so it's kind of cool that they're putting out new maps and stuff. i always enjoy getting new map packs for games. but i haven't even had time to get used to the maps that shipped with the game yet. plus, i hate the tdm mode in this game, so 50% of this pack would be useless to me. consider this one a skip

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheChaos
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By buft

stahl arms sounds like it should be a pub in a small village, the kind you wouldnt dare go into as a non local

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Bouke

I wonder how much these two maps will cost, i'll probably buy the for 5 bucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.