Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

Guerrilla to launch free to play multiplayer next week.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Solh0und

Source: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/02/23/killzone-3-multiplayer-goes-free-to-play-a-la-cart-on-psn-next-week

Next Tuesday, February 28, Sony will be giving away the multiplayer side of Killzone 3 away for free via its PlayStation Network. Any PlayStation 3 owner with an internet connection and a PSN account will be able to sample Killzone 3 multiplayer across all of its maps, free-to-play style… up to a certain level cap.

According to the latest episode of the PlayStation Blogcast, in an effort to "keep that multiplayer mode out there and active," Sony and Guerrilla Games will release the standalone Killzone 3 multiplayer mode with all of its maps for free.

That means no single-player campaign.

*The free-to-play multiplayer mode for Killzone 3 comes with a limitation however, an unidentified level cap. There will be some sort of limitation on what rank players can achieve in free-to-play mode and a limit on the number of skills and unlockable weapons that come with those higher rankings.

The full, level-uncapped version of Killzone 3 multiplayer will cost $14.99 USD. We've reached out to Sony for additional details on this intriguing experiment.

Personally, I have a gut feeling that you can get the full game for around the same price nowadays.

Thoughts,duders?

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WarlordPayne

Whether or not the $15 is a good deal for this is something I can't speak to, but getting more people to try the game and maybe get hooked to keep the community alive seems like a great thing.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I will pay $0 for Killzone 3's multiplayer.

So I'm excited.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Solh0und

Well if anything, this would boost the number of players playing this by a good amount.

As of 2 weeks ago, I hardly can find a big group playing.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zella

Sweet, I enjoyed the beta but just never got around to playing the multi-player when I owned KZ3. Looking forward to seeing if it's still as fun as I remembered.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By N7

This game is terrible. If you have any sense in your head you will pass it up. I paid $130 for this goddamn game only to come to the conclusion that fuck Killzone 3.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WarlordPayne

@N7 said:

This game is terrible. If you have any sense in your head you will pass it up. I paid $130 for this goddamn game only to come to the conclusion that fuck Killzone 3.

Is the multiplayer in 3 significantly different than Killzone 2's, or did you not like that one either?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

Killzone 3 itself costs about $25, and the DLC will run you about $25. In turn, $15 for all of the multiplayer is actually quite a deal...if that's what you're into.

@N7 said:

If you hadn't paid $130 for the game, would you say the same thing? I mean, seriously...you spent $130 on a video game. O_O

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Solh0und

@WarlordPayne said:

@N7 said:

Is the multiplayer in 3 significantly different than Killzone 2's, or did you not like that one either?

I find KZ3's MP a bit easier to get into,IMO. With that said, I have friends that liked KZ2's Mp more.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By N7
    @WarlordPayne said:

@N7 said:

HAHAHAHAHA. Oh wait you're serious.

Apologies for the assholeish nature. I was burned harder by Killzone 3 than any other game, or, any other thing in the world.

Killzone 2. A five year development journey filled with love and ecstasy as the multiplayer lingered into your soul. It made hard love to you. It stripped away the confines of physicality and made love to, not just your mind, but your soul.

Killzone 3. LOL YO WHATUP GUYS I HERRD YOU LIKE CALL OF DUTY LOL WELL SIT RIGHT DOWN AND TAKE A LOOK AT THIS SHIT. BOOM. TACTICAL SPAWN POINTS. Now I know what you're thinking "Whoa whoa whoa! You mean spawn points that are right out side the main spawn point that enemies can capture? And you mean to tell me these spawn points GENERATE MORTAR BEACONS THAT YOU CAN THROW INTO THE MAIN BASE, EFFECTIVELY KILLING EVERYONE? That's the best idea ever! And what you should also do is make it so that you can have two beacons at the same time so you can spawn camp the entire time into ragequitting! And better yet, make one spawn point in every map a worthless piece of shit that enemies can run right into and not just spawn CAMP you, but spawn kill you too! It'll be amazing!

It's no fucking wonder why this game died as quickly as it did. Have you ever seen hardcore Playstion/killzone fanboys lash out on their own shit? Well que the Playstation Forums, circa February last year. Holy fuck it was brutal. They ripped this game a new asshole, hard. And GG needed it. They got too comfortable and changed the entire core of what Killzone 2 did for them. It made me realize that, hell, five years in development can turn any piece of shit into a Mona Lisa.

Guerilla can suck a dick.

@jakob187
    I think you may be right. But Killzone 2 was my favorite shooter every for the longest time. It literally did nothing wrong! It was fucking perfect! Everyone loved it!!! And then Killzonefucking3 came out and took a shit in our souls and told us to go fuck our mothers.
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SuperWristBands

I'd like to see this become a trend for developers. I remember the only thing I wanted to play in... uhhh... that Call Of Duty game that had the first zombie mode in it, was that zombie mode but I wasn't gonna drop $60 for one game mode. I'd play it when my friend brought it over but we were limited to two players and it wasn't as fun as it could have been.

Then there was Assassin's Creed. Loved the multiplayer in that game but I found the single player of AC2 to be too tedious for my tastes. So when AC: Brotherhood and AC: Revelations came out I couldn't justify the purchase.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RE_Player1

I loved the multiplayer for Killzone 3 so much so that I bought all the maps when they came out. Looking forward to going back in now that a lot more people will be playing it. I'm going to snipe so many newcomers :D

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Akrid

That's really awesome of them! It's just a shame they didn't do the same with (the vastly superior) KZ2.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By phrali

14.99 for just the multiplayer? pretty sure you can get a used copy of the whole game for that much.

but still this seems desperate attempt to revive a dead MP game. but i like the idea, i would totally rather pay 15 for MP COD than 60 for MP and a single player campaign that i have no interest in.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ExplodeMode

I will take the controversial stance and say:  I like free stuff.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By zyn

Wow.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By ajamafalous

Good on them for trying something new. Hopefully it's at least marginally successful and we end up seeing more stuff like this start to happen on consoles instead of being restricted to the PC.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Sooty

I think this will see some activity for like a week while it's featured on the main page of the PS Store then die swiftly after.

Slixshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Slixshot

Hope we could get some GiantBomb players together! PSN: Slixshot

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By GunstarRed

Yeah! totally going to go back to this so I can murder the hell out of the new players.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Sackmanjones

Just saw this on psn. Seperately sold multiplayer kinda blew my mind.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By mikemcn

Not paying for something is generally better than paying for something.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By FunkyHugo

I got this, doubt I'll get into it (hardly play multiplayer games). But I think its a pretty cool game, and I really support this model for buying games. I hope they succeed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.