Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

Killzone 3: A Warning Against Early Reviews?

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VictoryBlixt

Killzone 3 is by all accounts a fantastic game but the metacritic for it is lower than it's predecessor. The reason for this, I think, is that all of the reviews are from early copies and as such focus on the single player.  Killzone 3's single player is not that great, it has cheesy one liners and purportedly a Halo 2 style ending (no spoilers I haven't played for myself yet) but the single player of Killzone 3 is not the meat of the game. The multiplayer is the heart of Killzone and the reviews that have focused on that aspect are extremely positive (ex. Destructoid) but you can not blame reviewers for focusing on the singleplayer because they reviewed the game when the multiplayer was empty but maybe this a warning against early reviews?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

If they didn't want the single player to be scored in a review then why even make a single player portion? It's still a part of the game.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By borodin
    @VictoryBlixt: Tbh, any time you have to say that x is the meat of a game, so it shouldn't matter that y was lacking or straight up sucked, you're pretty much doing it wrong. A lot of the reviews I've read have said that whilst it's a lot of fun, it isn't doing much that 2 wasn't doing - that's a valid criticism in my opinion and explains the lower metacritic better than people not having played enough of the multi-player.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

85 metacritic score is pretty damn good to anyone with half a brain. Which people who follow Metacritic to begin with tend not to have, I guess.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Punk1984

Metacritic scores are skewed by time, you can really only get a 'true' score weeks after a game's release. Basically if a game is 'hyped' or has a lot of pre-release promotion it will be more positive initially. Like wise games that just drop on release day tend to have lower scores on Metacritic. So wait it out, oh and don't worry what the Metacritic score is worry what the game is.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gizmo

It sucks that a 4/5 rating translates to a 80/100 metacritic, that's all I can say.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mordukai
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " 85 metacritic score is pretty damn good to anyone with half a brain. Which people who follow Metacritic to begin with tend not to have, I guess. "
    And those people are the suits that decide if the developer gets a bonus or not or even if another game will be made.  

@xyzygy said:
    " If they didn't want the single player to be scored in a review then why even make a single player portion? It's still a part of the game. "
    Agreed. Even from a gamer POV I sometimes feel that developer just put in the SP as lip service for people who are not too big on MP. FPS genre, imo, should just ditch the SP all together and just became a pure MP game genre as it's obvious to me that almost none of them, excluding Ken Levine and company, are interested in a meaningful story line. 
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By CenturionCajun

I'm sure Jeff got to play plenty of multiplayer. All those reviewers getting the game early just play each other. Sure, it's not representative of playing the general public but I'm sure it gives you more than enough of an idea. 

I don't have a problem with Metacritic in principle but in practice they need to be a bit more selective about whose reviews they put up. Some of them just seem like some guys random website. I also don't really have a problem with a 4/5 being an 80/100 because on just about any scale an 80 is still a great game. Now, I'll admit it does get a bit weird when a 5/5 becomes a perfect score but that's how math works.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By benjaebe

This is why I hate Metacritic.

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @borodin said:
    " @VictoryBlixt: Tbh, any time you have to say that x is the meat of a game, so it shouldn't matter that y was lacking or straight up sucked, you're pretty much doing it wrong. A lot of the reviews I've read have said that whilst it's a lot of fun, it isn't doing much that 2 wasn't doing - that's a valid criticism in my opinion and explains the lower metacritic better than people not having played enough of the multi-player. "
    I'm not excusing the single player but alot of the reviews I read did not or barely mentioned the multiplayer aspect of the game. Take Battlefield Bad Company 2 for example, a fantastic game by all accounts, but the single player was pretty poor but most reviews of that game focused on the Multiplayer because that is what the Battlefield games are about
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By handlas

?...it got good reviews so I don't see why this game is an example.  If anything its bad to NOT RELEASE reviews for a GOOD game.  Like Bulletstorm is getting great reviews and pretty much it seemed like everyone was saying the game will suck and not allowing reviews to come out until the release date proved such.  I enjoyed the demo so it's good to know the full game is just as good.

Still, for me, I chose to pick up Killzone 3 today.  One game is enough.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Boiglenoight

If it's something I'm interested in, 80-100 is a buy as far as Metacritic scores go, and I should say that's if I'm looking for affirmation on whether I should drop $60 on a videogame.  When it creeps into the 70s, I tend to add the item to my Amazon wishlist and wait and see if the user score is disparate from the critics.  Even if it pans out to be so-so, if someone buys it for me off the wishlist, I get to enjoy the game without having to pay a dime.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster
    @xyzygy said:
    " If they didn't want the single player to be scored in a review then why even make a single player portion? It's still a part of the game. "
    Exactly. Maybe they should have put more effort into the single player.
    salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By salad10203

Are there people on the servers to play with in MP?  Because without it I can see OP's point.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Mordukai said:

FPS genre, imo, should just ditch the SP all together and just became a pure MP game genre as it's obvious to me that almost none of them, excluding Ken Levine and company, are interested in a meaningful story line.  "

This won't happen for a number of reasons, but mainly because publishers like to sell as many copies of a game as possible, and releasing a full-priced multiplayer-only game, even if it's an FPS, is automatically going to limit it's sales significantly. Hell even fighting games still have single player modes in them. Would MW2 have sold over 20 million copies if it had no single player? NO. Even Activision is smart enough to know that.
    Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Raineko

from GB it got 4/5 stars, sounds great but unfortunately thats only 80/100 lol (and I think the game deserves more).

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lebkin
    @VictoryBlixt said:

I'm not excusing the single player but alot of the reviews I read did not or barely mentioned the multiplayer aspect of the game. Take Battlefield Bad Company 2 for example, a fantastic game by all accounts, but the single player was pretty poor but most reviews of that game focused on the Multiplayer because that is what the Battlefield games are about "

It is possible that the reviewer is reviewing the part they care about. As a general rule, I do not play competitive multi-player with shooters. So if I am going to get Killzone 3, it will be for the single player. If I wrote a review, it would focus only on the single player. It is perfectly valid for a professional critic to feel the same way and write a review that focuses on SP.

@Mordukai said: 

Agreed. Even from a gamer POV I sometimes feel that developer just put in the SP as lip service for people who are not too big on MP. FPS genre, imo, should just ditch the SP all together and just became a pure MP game genre as it's obvious to me that almost none of them, excluding Ken Levine and company, are interested in a meaningful story line.  "

Despite my lack of interest in multiplayer, I also wish more would do just multiplayer. It would make it much easier to see which games are worth picking up for single player alone. Half-hearted campaigns are depressing.
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By amir90

Metacritic can shuv it!

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aus_azn
    @xyzygy said:
    This. Thus, I can't understand why people write rave reviews of Call of Duty games. If you're going to include a single-player game, it's gonna be scored. Otherwise, be like CounterStrike and don't. Just make some bots or something.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimbo

It's just franchise fatigue, I doubt later reviews would have made much difference tbh.  They were naive if they were expecting this to end up with a 90+ score.

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @lebkin said:
    " @VictoryBlixt said:

I'm not excusing the single player but alot of the reviews I read did not or barely mentioned the multiplayer aspect of the game. Take Battlefield Bad Company 2 for example, a fantastic game by all accounts, but the single player was pretty poor but most reviews of that game focused on the Multiplayer because that is what the Battlefield games are about "

It is possible that the reviewer is reviewing the part they care about. As a general rule, I do not play competitive multi-player with shooters. So if I am going to get Killzone 3, it will be for the single player. If I wrote a review, it would focus only on the single player. It is perfectly valid for a professional critic to feel the same way and write a review that focuses on SP.

@Mordukai said: 

Agreed. Even from a gamer POV I sometimes feel that developer just put in the SP as lip service for people who are not too big on MP. FPS genre, imo, should just ditch the SP all together and just became a pure MP game genre as it's obvious to me that almost none of them, excluding Ken Levine and company, are interested in a meaningful story line.  "

Despite my lack of interest in multiplayer, I also wish more would do just multiplayer. It would make it much easier to see which games are worth picking up for single player alone. Half-hearted campaigns are depressing. "
    Yes but a professional critic needs to fully represent the product and by focusing on one aspect you are misrepresenting the product. You do not right a book review that pans the cover art for 3 pages and then devote a paragraph to how great the writing is
    Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Soffish

The reviews of Killzone 2 also came out early so I don't think that is the reason why Killzone 3 is getting slightly worse reviews.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mordukai
    @VictoryBlixt said:
    " @lebkin said:
    " @VictoryBlixt said:

@Mordukai said: 

Despite my lack of interest in multiplayer, I also wish more would do just multiplayer. It would make it much easier to see which games are worth picking up for single player alone. Half-hearted campaigns are depressing. "
    Yes but a professional critic needs to fully represent the product and by focusing on one aspect you are misrepresenting the product. You do not right a book review that pans the cover art for 3 pages and then devote a paragraph to how great the writing is "
    MAG begs the differ. A FPS can get good reviews despite having no SP elements what so ever. 
    Dblueguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dblueguy
    @CenturionCajun:  Metacritic really doesn't just let anyone in. Gotta qualify and go through alot of hoops and the same with gamerankings. Just because you haven't heard of a site before doesn't mean it's just some random guy's site.
    lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lebkin
    @VictoryBlixt said:
    Yes but a professional critic needs to fully represent the product and by focusing on one aspect you are misrepresenting the product. You do not right a book review that pans the cover art for 3 pages and then devote a paragraph to how great the writing is "
    I feel that as long as the reviewer informs you have what he/she is doing, any method is fine. I think it is perfectly acceptable for a reviewer to say "I don't play multiplayer, so I am reviewing this game based on its single player alone." Joystiq has written a couple reviews for just the single player in games, even when they have multiplayer components (ex: Bioshock 2 and Red Dead Redemption). Similarly, you could review Killzone 3 or Halo Reach entirely based on their multiplayer. As long as the reader knows what you are reviewing, any option works.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blueduck

Doesn't this game let you use the move (light gun) to auto lock onto enemies in multiplayer matches? 

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Grelik

I like metacritic, for a game I'm interested in, i go read the top two reviews, the middle two reviews, and the lowest two reviews (and any reviews that I would want to read otherwise).

gives you a very good idea about the good and bad about a game. Regardless I'm pumped for KZ3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.