Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

So.... that's the end huh? Now what? (Full Ending Spoilers)

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Donos

I just finished the campaign and I have to say, calling that abrupt is an understatement, at least in comparison to what actually happens at the end. What I'm trying to figure out is where the franchise can go from here.

Quick recap: 
    Helghan just got completely nuked / irradiated / slimed, a bunch of the helghast fleet got destroyed, and it appears Stahl and his techno(viking)solders are the only ones left standing. There may or may not be a conventional invasion fleet already at Earth, and Sev and the gang are out in Helghan space with a possible means of transportation.

My speculation: 
    Stahl will take control of whatever's left of the Helghast, pressing everyone and everything into his military industrial complex with a healthy dose of added mania. The new planetwide supply of irradiated petrocite (green stuff which is apparently deadly to everything except Rico) can serve as justification for their ability to rebuild. There might also be some random Helghast colony planets (I don't know the lore) referenced as supplying the additional bodies for said army. 

Back on Earth, I'm betting Guerilla will pull a Halo 2, with the returning heros meeting up with the initial Helghast invasion fleet that was launching near the end of Killzone 3, which has done disproportionate damage to Earth's forces thanks to the whole surrender bait-and-switch. After a prolonged battle against standard Helghast forces with the ISA making progress, maybe a third to halfway through the game, Stahl and friends will show up with a bunch of green ships/guns to mix up the gameplay and give the plot some drama. I'm pretty sure it will focus on Earth, since Vekta doesn't seem very important and Helghan is too radioactive for Sev to spend another game in his T-shirt (lead character redesign is a big nono). Besides, we've now had 2 games in a row on Helghan, and I'm guessing the art team is clamouring for a change.

The plot will again pay Stahl lots of attention, but this time he'll be extra-crazy as a result of all the shit that went wrong in Killzone 3. He was probably also gravely injured in the ending of Killzone 3 and will present at least one mechanical appendage, possibly becoming mecha-Hitler for a 1-on-1 final boss battle against Sev, as Stahl attempts to petro-nuke Earth. 

-------------------

So, how does that sound, folks? Am I missing something? Have an alternate theory? Any idea what will happen after Stahl arrives at Earth?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

as someone who knows of of the story from bombcasts and reviews. Does rico die?

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aus_azn

So the series isn't over? I am disappoint. 

I was expecting KZ to be a trilogy. Perhaps I was naive.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By shivermetimbers

I would love a Hitler-like boss with 2 miniguns.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Dany said:
    " as someone who knows of of the story from bombcasts and reviews. Does rico die? "
    I came here for this as well lol.
    Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By shivermetimbers
    @Dany said:
    " as someone who knows of of the story from bombcasts and reviews. Does rico die? "
    Nope.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By ch3burashka

And now... Killzone 3: Recon.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Afroman269

That ending was kinda crazy/dumb. Like really, all of Helghan is gone? Just like that.....oh well. I guess they could go the Gears 3 route and have the green stuff turn Helghast into monster dudes who will go wreck shit as a last ditch attempt to win.

mattman734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By mattman734

Yeah, i was very interested in the story and characters and then out of nowhere we launch a nuke kill a planet and credits. No wrap up no encounter between the main good and bad guys, no wrap up for Rico or the captain just kind of a setup for a sequel. Great game and even story but terrible ending its like they ran out of time.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Donos
    @mattman734:
    I don't think I'd say the story as a whole was good. Pretty much as soon as they hit the jungle, it was plot hole after plot hole after generic action movie trope. 'Sup tough yet sassy actionlady who I've never seen before but am expected to care about?Also, you can only play the "oh no these defenses just wiped out everyone but we have to keep going" card so many times, before there really shouldn't be any people left.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Slaker117

As soon as continuity got fucked in the second time through the opening sequence I stopped caring. Such a stupid decision that really took me out of an already mediocre campaign.

The whole endgame felt like wasted potential. There's a lot of pretty cool stuff going on, but it's presented so poorly, none of it feels impactful.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SSully

I was going to be defending the story that everyone was criticizing, because through out the whole game it was pretty decent, Nothing horrible, and it kept me interested, then they pulled this shit with the ending? I would really like to know who decided that ending was good enough, because they are an idiot. 

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Mayu_Zane

I really can't imagine how a sequel would be possible. Of course, presumably many Helghast survived the planet-wide explosion, maybe because they were underground or in bunkers, since we see two soldiers walking around after the credits. 

It's just that, the Helghast have been weakened so much that it's ridiculous for them to be a threat again in less than a decade unless magic starts to get involved.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AngriGhandi

Wait, so you blow up their entire planet? 

And you're supposed to be the good guys??

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Mayu_Zane
    @AngriGhandi said:
    " Wait, so you blow up their entire planet? 

And you're supposed to be the good guys?? "
    To be fair, it was by accident. The ISA dudes just wanted to stop a Helghast ship which was going to blow up Earth using a new superweapon.

Unfortunately for the Helghast, the ship crashed and exploded, detonating the superweapon. At least some Helghast somehow survived the explosion, thanks to bunkers or whatever.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ghostiet
    @AngriGhandi said:
    " Wait, so you blow up their entire planet? 

And you're supposed to be the good guys?? "
    You are the good guys because the plot demands it. The backstory actually makes the Helghast look better, but it's a shame it isn't fleshed out in the game.
    Garadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Garadon
    @Dany: Unfortunately not. I was hoping for that though.  

As for the ending, I think Stahl will become an irradiated maniac in the next game, kinda like Blight from Batman. Seems appropriate after that huge explosion. I have no idea where they go from the ending of KZ3 though.
    Fearsome121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fearsome121

How much money do these guys get paid? It just seemed like they ran out of ideas on how to conclude a trilogy in a satisfying manner and just said, bugger it, huge explosion, everyone on helghan dead, the end... It makes me so angry when i found the source material really interesting but the story writers don't have a clue what they're doing.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Punk1984

In all fairness it was about as sudden as the end of KZ2. Rico shoots Visari because he is a dick and you go out on the front steps...credits. KZ3: Rico and you shoot down Stahl's ship with a nuke because he is a dick, you chill out for a sec looking at the glo-worm planet...credits.
    I hope Stahl returns because he is a great character in mediocre story, kind of like Radec last game. You want to know more about that guy before you knife him in the face.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By canucks23
    @Fearsome121 said:
    " How much money do these guys get paid? It just seemed like they ran out of ideas on how to conclude a trilogy in a satisfying manner and just said, bugger it, huge explosion, everyone on helghan dead, the end... It makes me so angry when i found the source material really interesting but the story writers don't have a clue what they're doing. "
    They've said it wasn't intended to be a trilogy. There'll be a KZ4 eventually.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Donos

Thinking about it more, I'm almost certain Killzone 4 will be saved for the PS4, to go with the new setting/direction they need. If this generation too much longer, I'm betting on a prequel to the start of the war to tide Guerilla over. For posterity's sake:

I'm calling it.

JuggertrainUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By JuggertrainUK

Anyone else think they should have made the nuke scene a moral choice? like do you drop the nuke, save earth and kill millions of innocents and enemy helghasts and then return home to defend earth from the nuke backlash in KZ4. Or not drop the nuke and hope earth can defend itself long enough as you rush back in help defend earth in KZ4.
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dallas_Raines
    @Aus_azn:  

Yeah, but who actually played KZ1?
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spoonman671

I'm hoping that they end up patching in a new ending.  I'd rather pretend this one never happened.

@Donos said:

" Thinking about it more, I'm almost certain Killzone 4 will be saved for the PS4, to go with the new setting/direction they need. If this generation too much longer, I'm betting on a prequel to the start of the war to tide Guerilla over. For posterity's sake:

I'm calling it. "

Um, wouldn't a prequel set during the start of the war just be the first Killzone game?
    RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RedRoach
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Dany said:
    I came here for this as well lol. "
    No Rico doesn't die, but by the end of KZ3, he's saved your ass, as well as everyone else's that your able to forgive him.
    Jamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jamjones
    @Slaker117 said:
    " As soon as continuity got fucked in the second time through the opening sequence I stopped caring. Such a stupid decision that really took me out of an already mediocre campaign.  The whole endgame felt like wasted potential. There's a lot of pretty cool stuff going on, but it's presented so poorly, none of it feels impactful. "
    Yeah it really boggle the mind on what the GG was thinking so many missed potential on character development even a 6th grader could build a better story than this...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.