Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

Space Nazi Salute

SpaceCowboyPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A very minor thing that caught my eye: replaying killzone 3, I noticed that at the beginning Radec and Stahl, before executing the Helghast soldier who brought the nuke, salute him in a weird way. all I could catch was a raised left hand and a fist, does anyone know better about this?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well considering that the Helghan Empire are basically Nazis in space...

redking56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By redking56

Many cultures have had different salutes throughout history involving a variety of arm and hand gestures, if it was a left handed salute with a clenched fist then it's different from the salute associated with Nazism (right handed with hand open palm down) which is actually influenced by the painting Oath of the Horatii.

Given the premise of Killzone it's hard to imagine anything other than fascist iconography although it would be much more obvious if it were civilians doing it, as it stands it can be taken as just a plain old military salute with no real continuations.

SpaceCowboyPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I know that Helghast are supposed to be the Sci fi equivalent of nazis and as such a military/dictatorial hand sign is required (like the rallying double raised fists of the Hydra or the First Order's raised fist), I wanted to know WHAT gestures Stahl and Radec were making as salute

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Loading Video...

At around 1:20 you mean?

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LeStephan

Im not sure what the OP is asking. Whether the salute is a real one or not?

I dont know but Its not that hard to make up a nazi-looking salute I'd immagine.

SpaceCowboyPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpaceCowboyPC

Yes both 1:20 and 1:37

And yes, I wanted to know wether it's a real salute (rewatching the video i finally noticed the movements)

I just got curious because it reminded me, as I said before, of other fictional salutes

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a good old nazi salute then placing a clenched fist on chest to me.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Space Nazi's throwing up the dab.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hellgast are probably a Fascist nation so they would probably have a salute. Since most of there education is based on waging war i am guessing ?

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By gundogan

I don't think it's real, but a mix of different ones. Arm above heart is used in Albania, Mexico and India, while the clenched fist is used by revolutionaries and such.

They should've gone with the Crow Party salute since Killzone is also Dutch made (the Crow Party from the cartoon Alfred J Kwak was very literary the nazi party to teach childeren about WW2 and the nazi occupation of the Netherlands).

SpaceCowboyPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan said:

I don't think it's real, but a mix of different ones. Arm above heart is used in Albania, Mexico and India, while the clenched fist is used by revolutionaries and such.

They should've gone with the Crow Party salute since Killzone is also Dutch made (the Crow Party from the cartoon Alfred J Kwak was very literary the nazi party to teach childeren about WW2 and the nazi occupation of the Netherlands).

@soulcake said:

The Hellgast are probably a Fascist nation so they would probably have a salute. Since most of there education is based on waging war i am guessing ?

Looks like a good old nazi salute then placing a clenched fist on chest to me.

Makes sense: the raised arm (the left one tho...to avoid controversy most likely) to show their ties to dictatorships, the clenched fist for they're rebelling againist ISA, the fist on the chest (as you said, a widespread military salute) because everything Helghast people know is basically war

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.