Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

Thinking about Rico

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Edited By Mayu_Zane

(Killzone 2 spoilers ahead!)

So I've been thinking about Rico and his purpose in Killzone's story. In Killzone 1 Rico was an angry but competent soldier, and served as a foil to Hakha, the intellectual half-Helghast. He was book dumb and very eager to avenge his fallen friends, but at least he didn't make incredibly stupid decisions with dire consequences. Well, okay, he threatened to kill Hakha once but he didn't actually do it.

Killzone 2 comes by, and it looks like Rico might have been suffering from brain damage after being shot at so many times by the Helghast. He not only caused Garza's death by not listening to Sev, but he also ruined any chance for Helghan to become peaceful by killing Scolar Visari (which was the opposite of what his superiors wanted!). All Rico had to do in both situations was just WAIT, and we might have had a happier ending.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the game's developers, Guerrilla, might not be aware that a large portion of the Killzone fanbase does not like Rico. By the end of Killzone 2, it seemed to me that Rico was supposed to be portrayed as a 'human' or 'broken' soldier who was unable to keep his emotions in check. Unfortunately, this just falls flat on its face as if he did the things he did in real life, he'd have been arrested or executed on the spot for being an extreme liability. If you're a soldier who disobeys orders, especially when disobeying said orders gets your comrades killed, your superiors would be even bigger idiots than you to not have you disarmed and locked up.

As far as I can tell, Rico's current role is 'the guy who makes players angry and wish he was dead a thousand times over'.

It might be too late now, but I'm going to email Guerrilla Games or something and tell them what I think about Rico. info@guerilla-games.com, I think is the address. I wonder how many people already tried to contact them and tell them that Rico is an awful, unpopular character mainly because of his terrible mistakes?

On a side note, I personally hope the player can actually choose whether to side with the ISA or the Helghast in Killzone 3's singleplayer, unlikely as it sounds. Just picture it: A Helghast general captures you and offers you a chance at 'redeeming' yourself by fighting for the 'right cause'. It would be great to play with Helghast troops on your side instead of shooting at you, and then find out that they are not quite the monsters you thought they were in your time fighting as ISA. Hell, maybe it turns out the ISA kills civilians too, but doing it discreetly with 'black ops' units or something. A perspective flip would be a welcome breath of fresh air into this series. 

Anyway, point is, Rico should have been dead the moment he killed Scolar Visari. The man ruined goddamn everything.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mayu_Zane

(Killzone 2 spoilers ahead!)

So I've been thinking about Rico and his purpose in Killzone's story. In Killzone 1 Rico was an angry but competent soldier, and served as a foil to Hakha, the intellectual half-Helghast. He was book dumb and very eager to avenge his fallen friends, but at least he didn't make incredibly stupid decisions with dire consequences. Well, okay, he threatened to kill Hakha once but he didn't actually do it.

Killzone 2 comes by, and it looks like Rico might have been suffering from brain damage after being shot at so many times by the Helghast. He not only caused Garza's death by not listening to Sev, but he also ruined any chance for Helghan to become peaceful by killing Scolar Visari (which was the opposite of what his superiors wanted!). All Rico had to do in both situations was just WAIT, and we might have had a happier ending.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the game's developers, Guerrilla, might not be aware that a large portion of the Killzone fanbase does not like Rico. By the end of Killzone 2, it seemed to me that Rico was supposed to be portrayed as a 'human' or 'broken' soldier who was unable to keep his emotions in check. Unfortunately, this just falls flat on its face as if he did the things he did in real life, he'd have been arrested or executed on the spot for being an extreme liability. If you're a soldier who disobeys orders, especially when disobeying said orders gets your comrades killed, your superiors would be even bigger idiots than you to not have you disarmed and locked up.

As far as I can tell, Rico's current role is 'the guy who makes players angry and wish he was dead a thousand times over'.

It might be too late now, but I'm going to email Guerrilla Games or something and tell them what I think about Rico. info@guerilla-games.com, I think is the address. I wonder how many people already tried to contact them and tell them that Rico is an awful, unpopular character mainly because of his terrible mistakes?

On a side note, I personally hope the player can actually choose whether to side with the ISA or the Helghast in Killzone 3's singleplayer, unlikely as it sounds. Just picture it: A Helghast general captures you and offers you a chance at 'redeeming' yourself by fighting for the 'right cause'. It would be great to play with Helghast troops on your side instead of shooting at you, and then find out that they are not quite the monsters you thought they were in your time fighting as ISA. Hell, maybe it turns out the ISA kills civilians too, but doing it discreetly with 'black ops' units or something. A perspective flip would be a welcome breath of fresh air into this series. 

Anyway, point is, Rico should have been dead the moment he killed Scolar Visari. The man ruined goddamn everything.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Interfect

Yeah. Also that fool couldn't stay alive for very long. Always had to keep reviving his sorry ass.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By FunExplosions

I'd really prefer if they did something different like that. Like had groups from both the ISA and the Helghast teaming up with eachother, because both side's leaders didn't know what they were doing.

And yeah, if they seriously don't kill Rico off or overhaul his persona entirely, then I don't know what they hell they're thinking.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SpiralStairs

I liked Sev, he was a pretty cool guy and seemed to be pretty smart too. But fucking Rico just fucked everything up every chance he got.

Fuck Rico.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By turboman

Killzone's singleplayer campaigns sucks... so I don't care. 

Rico was the worst ally ever.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By lead_farmer

There were so many times when Rico went down and I hated myself for reviving him.  Grade-A idiot.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mayu_Zane
    @FunExplosions said:
    " I'd really prefer if they did something different like that. Like had groups from both the ISA and the Helghast teaming up with eachother, because both side's leaders didn't know what they were doing."
    Ooh, like a "Screw you guys we're tired of fighting" sort of thing? I can see that. Would be hard to pull off but it would be cool if a mixed group of ISA/Helghast soldiers decided it was about time they just stopped.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By RobotHamster

That's just who his character is, your suppose to hate his guts and he does a great job at it.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mayu_Zane
    @RobotHamster said:
    " That's just who his character is, your suppose to hate his guts and he does a great job at it. "
    My real problem isn't exactly with him, but the fact that other characters just tolerate him and don't even knock him out or something.
    korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By korolev

You're not wrong. The character Rico is so annoying that I actually considered it a flaw of the game itself - as in, if I was giving it a professional review, I would deduct points solely due to Rico's being there. He is not a good character, in any way shape or form, and like most people, I want him to bite the bullet in Killzone 3.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By damswedon

I can't voice how much I hate Rico. I just hope in three that they fix the terrible controller configurations, whoever decided that crouch and cover should be on the same button THAT YOU CAN'T CHANGE should be sacked, the hand claw I had to make to play that fucking game was an abomination.

Nowayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Nowayman

I liked Rico in Killzone 3. 

Yeah, he was a dickhead in Killzone 2. But in Killzone 3, he showed some character devellopement. He's loyal, and can risk his life for other people, and he lead a group of awesome resistance Raiders. He even save Sevchenko goddamnit ! 

And frankly, when he killed Visari, I was surprised, but I was so fuckin' tired of the "You can't stop us" bullshit played of the Hellghast....

miva2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By miva2

i liked rico
    only played the first killzone though
    i liked rico mainly for his awesome weapon

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @miva2 said:
    "i liked rico only played the first killzone though i liked rico mainly for his awesome weapon "

He was alright in the PSP game also, but...he just got so bad. 
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By beargirl1
    @miva2 said:
    " i liked rico only played the first killzone though i liked rico mainly for his awesome weapon "
    that was the only reason to use him in that game 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.