Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone Mercenary

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 04, 2013

PS Vita-exclusive Killzone title from Guerilla Games Cambridge. A side-story to the original Killzone trilogy.

Ten Min Gameplay Video

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Video contains spoilers.

Not sure why Jeff/Brad thought this game wasn't great at E3. Looks friggin AMAZING. (at least I think it was Brad/Jeff who said that...)

And just downloaded beta - haven't played it yet.

This has me SO PUMPED!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258  Online

Looks pretty impressive for a Vita game, but the gameplay itself looks like Generic Shooter #123514514345423.

Shadow Fall is supposed to be a lot more open and has some sort of gadget you can use. Hopefully it turns out well. Hopefully.

EDIT: OK. Looks all right. There are a handful of gadgets that they show, which was interesting, and it didn't look too cramped and corridor-y. You do seem to spend tons of time using that awful, awful cover system that leaves your head exposed, though.

It at least looked pretty colorful and varied in its environments. The third game was better, but it was still a whole lot of snow from what I remember.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Jeff's actually been talking the game up lately- I mean, for Jeff. He didn't call it "friggin AMAZING" or anything, but he did say it was more than just another standard shooter.

...oh, this is about Mercenary? Then they probably just don't care because "They don't want to play thistype of game" on a handheld.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

They still have the kill confirm chirp, so I'm probably going to buy it. Beta is fun.

You do seem to spend tons of time using that awful, awful cover system that leaves your head exposed, though.

Your head isn't exposed, it's just letting you peak over the top a little. At least that's how it functions in the console games.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact of the matter is all shooters have changed now.

This is the standard, sure - but at least I like how this is handling things.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Justin258  Online

They still have the kill confirm chirp, so I'm probably going to buy it. Beta is fun.

@believer258 said:

You do seem to spend tons of time using that awful, awful cover system that leaves your head exposed, though.

Your head isn't exposed, it's just letting you peak over the top a little. At least that's how it functions in the console games.

I distinctly remember getting annoyed by several sections in KZ2 and 3 because your nose is resting on cover, leaving some of your head exposed and meaning that you can (and will) get hit when you're like that. Fortunately there are often plenty of full-sized walls around.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looks ok, but I'd rather they made a sequel to Killzone: Liberation. That game was so much fun.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I might get a Vita for this, looks great. Last FPS I played on a handheld was that DS Metroid one, damn that was awful to control in.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The lighting looks great for a Vita game. I could without the touchpad quick-time events though. In terms of gameplay, it looks like a Killzone game, so I'll probably get it when I get a Vita. I dig the Killzone games.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I finally got to spend a little quality time with the Beta and so far it seems to be the shooter handhelds ave been waiting for. The graphics and map for the Beta are top notch. Most importantly the controls and weapons are top notch and satisfying. Having an open beta for this was genius. After being slightly burned on Resistance I was a little hesitant on this but the Beta has removed those doubts, it is a great FPS(still say Resistance wasn't terrible, it just wasn't great either.)

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Well it looks pretty, I'll give it that.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RonGalaxy

Jeff's actually been talking the game up lately- I mean, for Jeff. He didn't call it "friggin AMAZING" or anything, but he did say it was more than just another standard shooter.

...oh, this is about Mercenary? Then they probably just don't care because "They don't want to play thistype of game" on a handheld.

They have said that, but from what I've heard the game is very much designed around what handhelds are good at (bite sized gaming). It's not just a console sized game put on handheld. It looks and plays like one, but has different design philosophies. And the vita allows for letting a game run in the background, allowing for you to pick up where you LITERALLY left off at any time.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Open Beta is really neat - i'm hesitant to say "fun" because i keep dying, :\

I'm more excited for the single player than multiplayer, but thats because i need to get a real feel for the gameplay.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
    indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have played the beta. This game managed to do the impossible, and made the Vita's thumbsticks feel good.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bemusedchunk

@indiana_jenkins: Or give the right stick an actual purpose!

Edit: Oh wait - forgot about Hotline Miami...

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Sooty

That is impressive for direct footage, as with all Vita and 3DS games they look a lot better when on the actual device's screen.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this game has going for it is the visuals, I really hope this is the last "console experience on handhelds" push because fuck having something nice looking on a small screen when the framerate isn't there (it's running OK for a handheld) and would be better suited for a console.

This basically feels like Crysis 3 but for handhelds. "ooh pretty visuals", not much else.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, this is the first time I've ever been impressed by what the Vita could produce. That being said, not a big fan of FPS, especially not on a handheld.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Sooty

@colourful_hippie said:

All this game has going for it is the visuals, I really hope this is the last "console experience on handhelds" push because fuck having something nice looking on a small screen when the framerate isn't there (it's running OK for a handheld) and would be better suited for a console.

This basically feels like Crysis 3 but for handhelds. "ooh pretty visuals", not much else.

It also has that it's a pretty competent FPS with some fun multiplayer. You seem to have missed that.

And there's plenty of decent 'console experiences' to be had on the Vita, because you know, it is a console and it's perfectly capable of running the same types of games you'd find on a PS3 or Xbox 360, this has already been proven. (and no I'm not saying the games will look the same or better, just pretty decent)

Not sure why you chose to go off on one about this game, or handhelds in general. Seems irrational as hell, this won't even go anywhere so I don't know why I even replied.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By colourful_hippie

@sooty: Reviews are up and down on it. I've played the beta for myself so save your irrational claims of irrationality for someone else.

I know that you know what I meant by "console experience" so don't try to mince words here, if I was interested in those kinds of experiences then I would have been all over the vita Uncharted game too which is just as meh as this game, no thanks.

Also I'm not sure how talking about a Vita qualifies as "handhelds in general but OK? I just know that I'm not going to waste my time hooked on my wifi to play the multi-player of a subpar FPS when I can have a better FPS multi-player experience on my PC

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked the game up today, and it's a blast. Controls great, and it's a tremendous novelty to be able to play a quality FPS like this on a handheld device. Often times I just don't feel like sitting in front of my computer or console, and it's nice to get experiences like this anywhere I want.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crazy times we live in, where this is a handheld game.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#24 fisk0  Moderator

@aquablak said:

Picked the game up today, and it's a blast. Controls great, and it's a tremendous novelty to be able to play a quality FPS like this on a handheld device. Often times I just don't feel like sitting in front of my computer or console, and it's nice to get experiences like this anywhere I want.

I don't particularly like the Vita's analog sticks, but I think the game itself seems pretty good, played a bit of the beta, and picked up a retail copy of it today.

Salesmunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the first and second beta to be an absolute blast. The gadgets are fun and teamwork is definitely rewarded. Game sounds great as well, so bring a good pair of headphones along for the ride.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't play a ton of shooters, and definitely not multiplayer ones, but I tried the multiplayer beta for Mercenary just to see it.

It's pretty. But it was spawning me on enemies or next to dudes over and over again, and the multiplayer maps weren't really fun (I got lost a lot, and then shot). It was basically spawn camping... but without fixed spawn points.

But it controlled alright and it was pretty graphically. I'm out though.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So pumped to download this as soon as I get home!!!

Salesmunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bemusedchunk: If you're looking for teammate to play online, hit me up. Love this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.