Killzone comes to PlayStation 4.

is everyone being too harsh on killzone shadow fall

jimbofletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll is everyone being too harsh on killzone shadow fall (221 votes)

yes 27%
    no 74%
     • 
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

No. I've played about half the game and it's incredibly boring and under developed. There's no real attempt to develop a good story and the action is sub-par.

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By avenlaya

No. While I admire the thought of trying to give that game a next gen feeling, and they did somewhat, I feel they should have made a new IP instead of another mediocre Killzone. Killzone just doesn't have that fan base it needed to carry as a launch title. It would have been much better to have failed a new ambitious IP then bring back a existing IP that only a few hardcore fans enjoy.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By AMyggen

Just doing a "yes", "no" poll is a great way of starting a discussion...

I haven't played the game, but if people think it's boring they think it's boring...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I think the criticisms are valid, but I've still enjoyed the game in a Console launch mentality. For me it's a serviceable game that looks really pretty. I know Pc gamers have probably seen better already, but as someone who's never had a high end Pc I've been blown away by how the game looks. Personally, It was worth a buy just for that.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

This was one of the two games that looked decent from the PS4 exclusives, to me at least. Sad that everyone says it's so boring. I really don't know if I'm gonna pick up a PS4 any time soon, now that Resogun is the only one that looks decent. And with FFXV and KH3 and MGSV coming to X1. Kind of solidifies it.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Sackmanjones

I've enjoyed it a decent amount. I also liked 2 or 3 and haven't really had too many issues with the more open areas. I've ran into a few areas where it felt empty and boring but for the most part there has been enough to keep my interest. I can't comment on the entire game though, I think I'm only half way through so far.

But to answer your question, I don't think people are being too harsh. It has some decent review scores and i think that's what it deserves

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Did a lot of people secretly work on Killzone and Knack? They seem to be going out of their way to defend both and I don't get it.

Actually I honestly do totally get it but I'd rather not just start shitting on people and causing a scene. Hey, if you seriously enjoy the game so much, enjoy it. Not everyone else does.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like it. I think it's a huge improvement over the last 2. I'm not going to let some reviews hinder my enjoyment.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Berserker976

From what I've played, absolutely.

I'm having a ton of fun with it, really don't get all the hate.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I honestly wish it was on par with Crysis 2 level of dumb and pretty. But seeing some of those complaint, does seem like a Guerrilla Games does have a bit of a narrow minded development, lets hope they do some DLCs for multiplayer, making KZ3's multiplayer free to play was WONDERFUL!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just beat it last night. I liked it. The campaign was fun but the multiplayer is great. Warzone is the best.

People aren't being too harsh because it definitely isn't a stunner in terms of story or gameplay but I really enjoyed it.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killzone was never very popular to begin with and Knack is a throwback to game design in 1990. People don't realise that if you made Crash Bandicoot and released it today it just wouldn't stand up against other games. It's all about expectations and I think gamers just expect better especially after putting down $400. Personally I really like Knack but you can't expect everyone to share the same expectations as you.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course not.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can enjoy a mediocre FPS as long as the guns feel satisfying to shoot and the enemies die in a convincing way.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the default rifle, and the OWL, but I can't play a console FPS, a controller just isn't ideal for me.

I am practicing on Blacklight, which is more COD like, with its overly-generous auto-aim and snap-to ADS. Killzone has neither, so when I become great at COD-style FPS, Killzone should be a bit easier.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sonicrift

I was expecting a bimbo, and I guess I got that. It's REALLY pretty, but also really dumb.

I liked Killzone 3's multiplayer a lot, and was expecting something like that again. This game didn't deliver.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having a lot of fun with the multiplayer, personally. Probably won't be for everyone, though, and that's totally fine.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By GERALTITUDE

As a dude who never loved Killzone but played them, I kind of feel everyone is always too harsh on it.

smcauley600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well i never really care for killzone but i got the killzone bundle it was the only one they had left

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wanted to like the game and I intend to finish the campaign, but the SP is completely middling and uninspired.

I'm playing through on hard so I expected some cheap AI, but I didn't expect to constantly get lost. I find myself hitting the up arrow to recall the objective marker in every new area.

Feels like Guerilla desperately wanted to make Crisis but with inferior level design. I hope the MP will be better, but the lack of party chat is pretty baffling when its team based.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They probably are but that is due to the factor that people want to feel they got their money's worth out of buying a new box and a game to go with it.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I feel like I have heard vitriolic hate from some people (especially after the last Rebel FM) in regards to the game, but its not bad it is just average. I beat Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4's single player campaigns and I have been enjoying Killzone's a lot more than either of those. However, I have not heard the level of literal hate spewed to those two titles like I have Killzone. Not sure why, but that is the case.

Same with Knack honestly. The game is just an average action platformer but some people are acting like it was supposed to be Super Mario Galaxy and that Knack aborted their child hours before it was due.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@djou: What do you mean lack of party chat? Me and three friends had party chat in the game the last two nights...

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By zombie2011

No, it's boring. Even the MP doesn't do anything great, the way they roll through gametypes is cool but it doesn't make the game play any better.

Besides being pretty it just isn't that exciting.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@avenlaya said:

No. While I admire the thought of trying to give that game a next gen feeling, and they did somewhat, I feel they should have made a new IP instead of another mediocre Killzone. Killzone just doesn't have that fan base it needed to carry as a launch title. It would have been much better to have failed a new ambitious IP then bring back a existing IP that only a few hardcore fans enjoy.

They've been working on a new IP for like 3 years now. We'll probably see something about it next year since the director of Shadow Fall said it's another 2 and a half years out.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say so. It seemed really odd that a lot of reviewers focused so hard on the story/character aspect of Killzone. It's called fucking Killzone man. Stop taking it so seriously. Everything else about it looks fun to me, save for some parts.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SpaceRunaway

If someone wants to spoil the end for me, I'd be real interested how it managed to top 3's ending in terms of awfulness.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By djou

@sammo21: Sorry, I meant in-game chat, not system level party chat. I guess party chat is what Guerilla wants people to use, but if you jump on a random game there's no way to chat without inviting them to party.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really. I really enjoy the combat and think its incredibly impressive visually. But the narrative is a laugh from start to finish and they have plenty of points in the game that are just boring.

They have a fantastic base to work from; the game plays great, looks amazing, and has an interesting artstyle. They just need to tie that all together. Obviously that is INCREDIBLY more difficult then I make it out to be, but I would love to see it done.

Regardless I am having fun with it, but I think it earned the scores it has gotten.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The campaign is pretty boring, even when they remember to put some enemies in the environments. The enemies that are there are, for some reason, meaningfully less intelligent than their ancestors in previous games. None of the weapons have that grounded, visceral feel that the PS3 Killzone games had, and almost all the weapons feel like the same machine gun-y shooty thing.

I've only played a little bit of the multiplayer, but I've already encountered new maps that are extremely reminiscent of some of the less-than-stellar Killzone 2 & 3 maps. I'll stop short of saying they are copies. Other than that, it seems fun, but much too cramped.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Seppli

I think gaming enthusiasts in general, especially the *press*, are a bit harsh on first person shooters in general - at least the more generic ones. Generic doesn't equal bad. Uniqueness is not a prerequisite for quality.

That said, I haven't had the privilege to play Killzone Shadowfall yet. Playstation 4 has yet to release in Europe. I downright hated Killzone 2, one of the few games I own, but never finished - so there's that. I like what I've seen of Shadowfall though. The running up walls and climbing ledges. The owl and all the special abilities that come with it. The Far Cry 3-inspired takedowns. The more open-ended levels. And of course the graphics.

Hopefully I'll enjoy it as a launch game eyecandy - at the very least.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am enjoying it, but only for the multiplayer. I got a few hours into the campaign and haven't had any desire to continue, but I have been having a good time playing multiplayer with my brother. I've always liked Killzone's style of multiplayer, and this is a good version of it.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Having just beaten it i will say i enjoyed my time with it. At times the levels feel great (i really enjoyed the open levels, especially that last one) but at other times they leave you wondering how to progress. All i know is I am having fun with Killzone and I dont regret buying t, i think the campaign is pretty solid (not amazing but not terrible) and the multiplayer is fun. Might even try for the Platnuim.

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's totally competent, and that's kinda it. The art style is fantastic, but the game is mediocre. 3/5 seems right.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Only thing wrong with Shadow Fall is the weird ending. It's not terrible like people are trying to make it seem .. just weird. It is a little too easy though even on Hard. MP is pretty decent too. Warzone is fun switching between different game modes.

@thebunnyhunter I'm going for the platinum too, it'll a take awhile but it's fun.

Still looking for some people to play MP with though.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not really. The first few levels are fucking awesome (chapters 1-4, especially 2.) but in the middle it loses speed and never really picks back up.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving it, everything from the looks, to the weapons and gunplay, the drone, and the variety in the chapters.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I was expecting a bimbo, and I guess I got that. It's REALLY pretty, but also really dumb.

I liked Killzone 3's multiplayer a lot, and was expecting something like that again. This game didn't deliver.

I'm finding the same opinion about multi. It reminds me more of Call of Duty rather than the previous Killzones. 3 was pretty good, wish they'd have built upon that. The single player is dumb, but worth it for the ride. Some may use the same reasoning toward bimbos. I don't know.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People don't realise that if you made Crash Bandicoot and released it today it just wouldn't stand up against other games.

At least Crash Bandicoot has 1000x the personality that Knack does. Crash Bandicoot is a Pixar movie to Knack's B-Grade Dreamworks flick.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm enjoying it. The multiplayer is a lot of fun. But no, I don't think people are too harsh on Shadow Fall. As someone that likes Killzone games, I totally see why people dislike it. The criticism seems spot on, despite my enjoyment of the series and this game. BF4 is the best new multiplayer shooter, but I play that on PC. So Killzone is as good as it gets for me right now for a PS4 shooter.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zirilius

I think the criticism is justified.

I'm actually enjoying the campaign somewhat but good god their check point system is god awful. To clarify I think when you die and restart its fine. Its when you exit out to the menu or start the game and come back in that is terrible. I typically will not quit a game until I see a checkpoint reached and as there is no save and quit feature there is no reliable way to know which checkpoint was your last hard save. I have on three different occasions waited for the checkpoint to get done saving and then quit out only to come back and I've had to do entire sections that I had completed again. Very annoying.

I do like the multiplayer quite a bit. Don't know how long it'll tide me over but I'll keep playing it as I do find it enjoyable.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People aren't exactly being harsh. It's got a 70-something on Metacritic. Honestly, the game looks more like a 50-something to me. Another cranked out, generic FPS. The entire genre needs a meaty kick in the ass.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GaspoweR

@jayeh: And that's how it's supposed to be. I think there have also been reviews who have stated that if you enjoyed the past few games then you'll find this entry to be enjoyable as well but overall compared to other games in the market, its just pretty mediocre.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mrfluke

oh god damm, seeing the posts on here about killzone, might just keep my copy sealed or trade it in towards infamous.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I just started it the other night -

It looks a - m - azing. I feel this isn't said enough. I mean like REALLY GOOD. Yes yes I have a new fancy PC too but this is still really impressive.

Thoughts on combat later, but I will see the guns feel nice and punchy.

Store is lame duh, but who cares.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Eh, kinda. I enjoyed most of it, but there's a lot of it that was kinda bad.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I absolutely adored the first level, I had a blast sneaking around and using the Owl. That's kind of all I've got through though. If it doesn't hold up later it doesn't hold up later but I think it's phenomenal so far.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've been enjoying it for the most part. There have been a few moments in the campaign where I am completely lost on what I have to do, but I've been enjoying the story thus far. And I've been enjoying the multiplayer as well.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ImpendingFoil

I was so psyched up when I got my copy of Killzone in the mail a few days before the release of PS4. One that crisp November day that the PS4 was released I left work as quick as I could to rush home and pop Killzone in. I played the first one and enjoyed it, along with the second game, I never touched the third and was ready to get back to some Killzone with Shadow Fall. About two hours later I came to the conclusion that there has not been a lot of refinement to the series since two and that is was basically the same game, and that is not what I wanted.

The multiplayer is fun, but I do not feel that it really adds anything new that puts it well above from the multiplayer in two. I'm going to keep playing the game here and there, because while it is not great it is not bad either. I am glad though that I have other games to play like Resogun (best game currently on the system), Assassin's Creed IV, and Warpath to a degree.

With all that I would say that the majority of the reviews I have read seem fair and bring up a lot of valid points.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.