Killzone comes to PlayStation 4.

New previews: More like Crysis lots of optional ways

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looks like Killzone: Shadowfall seems to be a bit different than the other games. The new previews state that there is a lot of optional ways and approach's to your goal. People were getting lost with all these possibilities of stairs, zip lines, air vents and so on. It seems to be more like Crysis 1 in terms of linearity which is quite surprising for this normally pretty linear IP. The press at least seems to be pretty exited when you look at all these positive previews. And Of course it looks fantastic^^

For some previews

Revision 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67e3eFVSR4

Gametrailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/pq90gm/killzone-shadow-fall-field-report

Gamespot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLJOKXbXh7s

IGN: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/24/killzone-shadow-fall-is-beautiful-and-challenging

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's the only PS4 game I want.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By PhilipDuck

Looking good, be the only game i'm getting on launch with my bundle... so hope it plays as good as it looks!

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jimmyfenix

So close yet so far away HURRY UP NOVEMBER 29!

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do not believe the PR bs until you play the game, most say things like that but in the end is a matter of choosing between, shotgunning the dude's face or killing him with a knife.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By veektarius

Halo is known for having a lot of tactical approaches to a fight, but it's nothing like Far Cry or Crysis. I expect Killzone to be more in line with what it's always tried to be - the Halo-killer.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More like Crysis

So at some point you get to explore a space ship and when you come out the game becomes shit?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

Halo is known for having a lot of tactical approaches to a fight, but it's nothing like Far Cry or Crysis. I expect Killzone to be more in line with what it's always tried to be - the Halo-killer.

To this day I uphold my opinion that the people who say that about Halo are either crazy or have never played a FPS game before. The "tactical approaches" are all so basic in this day and age I don't know why everyone continues to uphold Halo on such a high pedestal.

This new Killzone is looking surprisingly interesting, mostly from a story perspective. I'm sure it will play largely like any other FPS.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes me regret cancelling my pre order. Damn.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Darji
    Loading Video...

Multiplayer interview with tons of footage. I really like the fact they the got rid of an exp system but levels are rather skill based challenges. Also everything unlocked from the start and ALL Maps are and will be FREE

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SomeJerk

Do not believe the PR bs until you play the game, most say things like that but in the end is a matter of choosing between, shotgunning the dude's face or killing him with a knife.

This is actually as A to B as Crysis. Shotgun, knife, Stealth.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Sackmanjones

I watched the ign footage. They also said the game runs at 60fps which is awesome. My biggest issue with 3 was it's multiplayer had a kind of terrible framerate which made it hard to play. It wasn't always like that but when it was it really ruined the feel. If that's fixed and the story is more compelling and has it's signature weighty feel, I'm gonna be quite pleased with this one.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched the ign footage. They also said the game runs at 60fps which is awesome. My biggest issue with 3 was it's multiplayer had a kind of terrible framers the which made it hard to play. It wasn't always like that but when it was it really ruined the feel. If that's fixed and the story is more compelling and has it's signature weighty feel, I'm gonna be quite pleased with this one.

SP will be 30-40 FPS and MP will be 60 FPs

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

I think a lot of people don't understand that the extreme linearity in a lot of current gen shooters was not a design choice as much as a technical limitation. Crysis 2 and 3 weren't more linear because Crytek thought that was better. They were more linear because consoles couldn't run the big levels of Crysis 1 at high enough fidelity. Battlefield 3 single player was much less open than Bad Company 1 and 2 because they chose higher quality assets over open areas. Halo 4 is a lot less open than Halo 3 or ODST or Reach. It's all about trade offs. Far Cry 3 tried to have both high quality and an open world and managed to rarely run at even 25 fps. Killzone is not the only traditionally linear franchise that has hyped its more open levels. Battlefield 4 has more open levels. So does Call of Duty Ghosts. I think the programmer from Naughty Dog who was on the E3 show here said it best when he said that what excited him most about this generation wasn't as much higher fidelity assets but being able to put those assets into much bigger settings.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sackmanjones

@darji: really? Hmm that's fine. Id prefer both to be 60 but it's not a huge deal. And that is certainly nice for multiplayer though

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Good to see. I hope this game ends up being great, it'd be nice to have something other than Assassin's Creed IV to play on my shiny new PS4 when I get it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

another kind of nice little thing:

But I think all things considered, this being launch and we've got like 2 minutes 44 from disc to the first level and no installs, I think it's already a massive improvement over previous generations.

"

Whether played from hard disc or Blu-ray, van der Leeuw is particularly proud of how fast and seamlessly the game loads; it's been a pet project for the tech director, who hates how slow modern games have become to operate.

Guerrilla has completely eliminated in-game load times after an initial 30 seconds, and removed all logos and splash screens from the game's start-up routine.

It may take a while to download Killzone Shadow Fall, but once you have it, the game comes to you very quickly indeed.

"To me, that's still something that fills my heart with joy when I see it.

You insert the disc and go straight to menu

," he says. "People here worked very hard...

We had to ask legal and Dolby, the epilepsy warning stuff, the logos from Havok - we had to negotiate with them that we could put it in the credits and not the title screen

... All the rules are built around the previous generation. I'm really happy that we're one of the first ones in, and I hope it's an example that people are going to follow

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-24-why-killzone-shadow-fall-is-almost-40gb-it-used-to-be-290

Also if you download the game you have to download 7.5GB and then you can actually play.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else get the feeling that they are holding alot of this game back for some reason. I have only seen footage from the early portion of the game. I am wondering if there is some kind of huge gameplay/narrative change mid game like Halo 2 (Playing as Arbiter) etc.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sackmanjones

@leftie68: @leftie68: if I has to guess, we will probably see a good chunk of the game through the eyes of a helgast

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leftie68 said:

Anyone else get the feeling that they are holding alot of this game back for some reason. I have only seen footage from the early portion of the game. I am wondering if there is some kind of huge gameplay/narrative change

Going by preview talk and dev-talk, you will not be disappointed.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not gonna be Deus Ex, but there are certainly more options than past Killzone games. Actually, if I had to compare it to a past Killzone game, it's kinda like Killzone 1, except you're one character (maybe 2 if the rumors of a helghast player character are true). In Killzone 1, you took different paths depending on the character you chose. If you chose Templar, it was a fairly standard fps shooter. If you chose Luger, you took a more stealthy path and can enter vents and small spaces to avoid enemies or ambush them. If you were Hakha, you can bypass Helghast security measures and checkpoints. If you were Rico, you took a more dangerous and destructive path cause he's a huge tank character who can't move as fast or crouch as low, but has more health and has a big ass machine gun with an underslung rocket launcher. In Shadow Fall, it looks like they're leaving these multiple paths open for the player to choose instead of locking them to 4 different characters. If they were comparing it to Deus Ex, I'd be skeptical, but I can believe the Crysis comparison just based on the old forest footage alone.

The skyscraper footage excites me because you're in this building with narrow hallways and stairs as well as vents and skylights and destructible walls. You have to rescue hostages in multiple locations in the building, but in no particular order. While smooth talking your way to the hostages isn't an option, but the option to go stealth, direct, or straight through a wall already sounds like fun. And the OWL looks like a great tool to use to subvert the oftentimes infuriating AI allies in past Killzones that had terrible pathfinding when it came to locating you for revival or just backup in general.

Killzone Shadow Fall is one of those games I feel guilty for getting excited about because everyone is so jaded about the series, but the more I see of it, the more impressed I am with it. It's obvious that they are going out of their way to change up the formula, and for a launch title, I'd say they're off to a good start.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Nekroskop

That looks horrible! How could Sony even publish something like that?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I dunno, Crysis 1 was pretty fucking open.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jimmyfenix

@slippy4475: Troll post. Move on ladies and gents.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Warfare

Looks nice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.