Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Any details on distance/space needed for Kinect camera?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

my gf is really excited about kinect, mainly Dance Central. But she has a pretty small room in an apartment. I'd be generous and say she has maybe a 4'x5' open area. Which is enough to move around and dance in, but we always see Kinect demoed in a large open room with the people standing fairly far from the camera. I remember microsoft saying like 8 feet recommended or something. Are there any details of people demoing the camera in smaller spaces or from close up, maybe from the beta program. I'd say the camera would be probably less than 4 feet from my gf in her room since she would stand in the middle of that 4'x5' patch.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

I dunno. But since there are a number of Japanese developed games recently announced, it can't require that much space. Japanese people have notoriously small living spaces.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrOldboy
    @MrKlorox: maybe...? But that doesn't give any actual information about what the final product would be. I would assume a lot of those games would still need a controller or be played on a couch or something. 

here's a marketing ad for kinect in Japan. Looks pretty spacious to me. I feel like as long as the camera can see your entire body it will function. Of course it would need a lens that can do that from closer up. I dont know if they've given details on that.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/378/909/html/ms04.jpg.html
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By sarahsdad
    @MrOldboy: I was in a gamestop over the weekend, and they had some empty promo boxes set up. I'm not sure if they're the right size, but the box looked official. Anyhow, there was a post-it sized picture on one corner showing someone standing in front of a kinect, and was something like 
    Suggested range for optimal use - 1 player - 6 feet*

Suggested range for optimal use - 2 player - 8 feet*

In both cases the little * went to a disclaimer saying that some games may be better played at shorter or longer distances, as determined by individual software developers. 

FWIW, the box itself was rectangular, probably 13~14" long, and maybe 6~8" on each side. I don't know if it's actual size, or just used for mock-ups, but if it's real, then the Kinect won't be too big, front to back.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ch13696

Every time the Giant Bomb mentions it, they talk about that they may have to move their couches to play. But, we can't say for sure how well this will work out till it comes out. There's going to be a lot of people on these forums buying it and telling us what they think.

sixdemonbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sixdemonbag

I was in Best Buy the other day and the Xbox area has a walled off hard wood floor "living room" looking area.  At the time I kind of thought they were just making room for a Kinect demo area.  You could check there and see how that compares to your girlfriend's living room.
    alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By alternate

yeah 6 to 8 feet according to leaked manuals.  That is going to rule a lot of living rooms out.  I mean I have that much room but there are like coffee tables and stuff in the way and I aint for moving all the furniture to play Kinetanimals or whatever bullshit.

connelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By connelo

I got to use it yesterday and although the room wasn't tiny, it wasn't huge and we were standing pretty close. Maybe a metre to a metre and a half away from the screen depending on the game?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.