Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Consumer Meet Kinect, Kinect Meet Consumer

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It is Monday 8th of November and I’m here with a blog entry a little later than I originally hoped to be. For the past two or three weeks there have been some big releases, but with the US release of the Kinect came a whole slew of new games and a whole lot of coverage on them. It didn’t feel right posting without soaking up the maximum amount of juicy Kinect journalism possible, and only I consider myself now in an adequate position to administer your weekly dose of blog (note: Gamer_152’s blog is only intended to be taken as a suppository).

Anticipation

I think it’s fair to say there’s been a lot of lead-up to the release of the Kinect. It’s hard for me to believe that it was only back during E3 2009 that we were seeing ‘Project Natal’, and Peter Molyneux up on stage showing off his potentially mind-blowing proof of concept. I remember thinking at the time that Microsoft’s move only made sense, with the way the Wii was selling in comparison to the 360 and PS3 there was no way they weren’t going to join the motion control battle, none the less they appeared to have found a somewhat clever way to do it.

Anger

I HATE THE SMILEY COUCH FAMILIES SO MUCH!

Somewhat predictably online discussion about the console hasn’t run that smoothly. Just as there was backlash to the Wii when it started the motion control “revolution”, there were plenty of “core” game enthusiasts everywhere, angrily mashing their fists into their keyboards in fits of rage over the release of the Kinect. While I understand the concerns of some people over the introduction of motion controls to gaming, I think to a certain extent this frustration over a new wave of gaming better suited to casual gamers is born out of selfishness. A lot of people, me included, are very passionate about video games, so when the general public start seeing something that has so much significance to us as just a small amusement that might be fun for an hour or two at parties people get annoyed. I believe people also become somewhat aggravated when they see something that is very deep and complex for them contorted into something simple and palatable for the mainstream, as they feel the thing they love is being misrepresented. Don’t get me wrong, I do empathise to an extent with these points of view, but everyone has the right to have fun with video games and treat them as significantly or insignificantly as they wish. I enjoy a good meal, that doesn’t mean I have to be a gourmand.

Besides the alteration of the perception of games in the public eye that casual gaming has brought, I think people are also worried about the motion control craze encroaching upon the gameplay of the kinds of games they enjoy. I think it’s been established at this point that most casual game enthusiasts don’t want core game concepts in their games, and vice-versa, so I don’t think there’s legitimate reason to panic over the possibility of new line of Frankensteinesque half casual, half-core games, I.e. Mass Effect 3 probably won’t include a hula hooping mini-game. As for the possibility of the casual game market destroying the core game market, that’s not going to happen any time soon, for developers making casual games is very different from making core games and the core games industry is still worth billions, there’s no way any company are going to just let it roll over and die. If Nintendo can release something like the Wii and still be bringing out quality Zelda and Mario games for their platform I think that’s more than enough of a sign that console manufacturers know just how valuable your Call of Dutys and your Halos are. I may be preaching to the converted here but I just wanted to clarify my feelings on all of this and try and show why I have nothing against motion control gaming.

The Kinect Cometh

Despite all the forum rage and debate, the Kinect is here, and I must say from a technological standpoint it’s pretty amazing. For a while there was speculation over whether the Kinect was actually crashing and burning as a project for Microsoft; it did seem that every time they showed it their general attitude was “We know this doesn’t really work but our new prototype is much better”. After hearing them say this so many times I’m not entirely surprised that people started to get suspicious, but I think we can safely say that this thing actually does work. The only reports of lag I’ve seen have been from 1UP who say that there is a noticeable lapse in reaction to your movements, but not anything any worse than you’ll find on the Wii or the Playstation Move. Honestly, trying to conceive of the algorithms that must be behind this thing makes my head hurt, but conceptually the Kinect is cool as hell.

Figuring Out Kinect

Sadly Dancemasters cuts players out of the background with all the finesse of a 7 year old in Microsoft Paint.
     Sadly Dancemasters cuts players out of the background with all the finesse of a 7 year old in Microsoft Paint.

I’ve always maintained that however good or bad your hardware is, it’s the quality of the games that count, and with Kinect it seems to be that there’s some stuff which doesn’t look bad, one game in particular that looks great, and some stuff that looks sort of terrible, with the worst of the lot seeming to be games that are unresponsive or games where actions in real-life don’t seem to match up to actions on-screen. One thing that struck me with a lot of the launch titles was that while most of the menus in the games were flashy, a lot of the time I looked at menu elements and thought “Well I’ve only been thinking about it for a couple of seconds but already I can figure out a better menu system than this”. I say this not just to highlight that menus in a lot of the Kinect launch games may be quite a slog for casual gamers, but also because firstly; I think it reflects that even with months of development behind the launch titles of the Kinect, there’s still a lot developers are going to have to work out about making games for the Kinect, and secondly; I believe even for casual players the lack of any kind of controller can be a disadvantage in certain situations.

Looking at that first point again, I think perhaps a more telling sign that there’s still a mountain of untapped potential within the Kinect is that the launch titles are more or less the same kinds of games we saw on the Wii. You have the dancing game, the sports games, the fitness games, and the minigame collections. It’s not that I don’t think those games don’t pull off some of that stuff well; Your Shape really could be something that came straight out of a sci-fi story, but we’ve had motion control games for almost four years and while some of the stuff we have now is cool I think the Kinect could go to some really original places, even if any of those places aren’t going to be especially deep.

One thing I was surprised by is that there actually seems to be more of a sense of progression and structure in these games than I was expecting. Up until now most motion control games have steered clear of experience bars or unlockables, but I don’t think these are concepts that should be reserved exclusively for the RPG-loving core gamers. If you have a casual game that you think you can make most players keep coming back too (and if your game is any good chances are they will), then throw in your unlockable items and your simple levelling system. I’m not a fan of Zynga’s Facebook games, and I know they’re not quite the same as motion control games, but if there’s one thing they have proved it’s that that casual gamers can be into basic RPG concepts.

A War of Motion

The Wii: It still prints money.

So I think we all know that Kinect is going to be big, anyone who thinks differently is fooling themselves. As you’d expect it sounds like Microsoft have poured a ridiculous amount of money into marketing, and Kinect has appeared everywhere from day time television to burger boxes. However, for everything the peripheral can do, it seems there are some limitations to its capabilities. Firstly, the Kinect is only capable of recognising two players at a time. Not a huge deal, but if you consider that this peripheral is likely to be popular at big social gatherings it could be a little restricting. Secondly, it requires a certain amount of space in people’s living rooms for use and I think this is the much larger problem. I don’t know the size of the average area of open space in a living room, but figures for how much space you need for Kinect suggest about 6-8 feet, creating this unusual situation where whether you can play certain video games is dependent on the size of the room you’re playing them in.

Whether this thing is going to be as big as the Wii also remains to be seen. I think Wii has a leg up by being the first motion control console on the scene, but even if the Kinect beats the Wii on launch figures, one of the most shocking things about the Wii was the way it seemed to continue to make huge sales month after month. How profitable the Kinect will be compared to the Wii is something I really feel unable to analyse, and I feel like it’s really one for the Michael Pachters of the video game world. At any rate I don’t think the price tag is going to scare too many off, Nintendo underpriced the Wii and with the Wii in such demand £180 was a steal for most. If people really want to play Kinect then they’re going to be ready to fork out the £250 (or the equivalent for their country) for the peripheral.

Bam! There It Is

So there you have it, just about every thought I’ve ever had about the Kinect up to this moment. Here in the UK we’ll be seeing it out in stores November 10th and while I’m sure I’ll want to cringe at many of the amateur reports showing morning news presenters grinning stupidly as they try out some Kinect Sports mini-games, I do hope the Kinect helps bring just a little bit of the entertainment we get from video games to the public at large because when it comes down to it that’s what games are about, entertaining people.

Thank you for reading this gargantuan blog, a special thanks to UncertainOtter and Aetheldod who were particularly complimentary about last week’s blog, as well as Claude who gets props just for being our resident Wii-loving maniac. Good luck, have Skittles.

No Caption Provided
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It is Monday 8th of November and I’m here with a blog entry a little later than I originally hoped to be. For the past two or three weeks there have been some big releases, but with the US release of the Kinect came a whole slew of new games and a whole lot of coverage on them. It didn’t feel right posting without soaking up the maximum amount of juicy Kinect journalism possible, and only I consider myself now in an adequate position to administer your weekly dose of blog (note: Gamer_152’s blog is only intended to be taken as a suppository).

Anticipation

I think it’s fair to say there’s been a lot of lead-up to the release of the Kinect. It’s hard for me to believe that it was only back during E3 2009 that we were seeing ‘Project Natal’, and Peter Molyneux up on stage showing off his potentially mind-blowing proof of concept. I remember thinking at the time that Microsoft’s move only made sense, with the way the Wii was selling in comparison to the 360 and PS3 there was no way they weren’t going to join the motion control battle, none the less they appeared to have found a somewhat clever way to do it.

Anger

Somewhat predictably online discussion about the console hasn’t run that smoothly. Just as there was backlash to the Wii when it started the motion control “revolution”, there were plenty of “core” game enthusiasts everywhere, angrily mashing their fists into their keyboards in fits of rage over the release of the Kinect. While I understand the concerns of some people over the introduction of motion controls to gaming, I think to a certain extent this frustration over a new wave of gaming better suited to casual gamers is born out of selfishness. A lot of people, me included, are very passionate about video games, so when the general public start seeing something that has so much significance to us as just a small amusement that might be fun for an hour or two at parties people get annoyed. I believe people also become somewhat aggravated when they see something that is very deep and complex for them contorted into something simple and palatable for the mainstream, as they feel the thing they love is being misrepresented. Don’t get me wrong, I do empathise to an extent with these points of view, but everyone has the right to have fun with video games and treat them as significantly or insignificantly as they wish. I enjoy a good meal, that doesn’t mean I have to be a gourmand.

Besides the alteration of the perception of games in the public eye that casual gaming has brought, I think people are also worried about the motion control craze encroaching upon the gameplay of the kinds of games they enjoy. I think it’s been established at this point that most casual game enthusiasts don’t want core game concepts in their games, and vice-versa, so I don’t think there’s legitimate reason to panic over the possibility of new line of Frankensteinesque half casual, half-core games, I.e. Mass Effect 3 probably won’t include a hula hooping mini-game. As for the possibility of the casual game market destroying the core game market, that’s not going to happen any time soon, for developers making casual games is very different from making core games and the core games industry is still worth billions, there’s no way any company are going to just let it roll over and die. If Nintendo can release something like the Wii and still be bringing out quality Zelda and Mario games for their platform I think that’s more than enough of a sign that console manufacturers know just how valuable your Call of Dutys and your Halos are. I may be preaching to the converted here but I just wanted to clarify my feelings on all of this and try and show why I have nothing against motion control gaming.

The Kinect Cometh

Despite all the forum rage and debate, the Kinect is here, and I must say from a technological standpoint it’s pretty amazing. For a while there was speculation over whether the Kinect was actually crashing and burning as a project for Microsoft; it did seem that every time they showed it their general attitude was “We know this doesn’t really work but our new prototype is much better”. After hearing them say this so many times I’m not entirely surprised that people started to get suspicious, but I think we can safely say that this thing actually does work. The only reports of lag I’ve seen have been from 1UP who say that there is a noticeable lapse in reaction to your movements, but not anything any worse than you’ll find on the Wii or the Playstation Move. Honestly, trying to conceive of the algorithms that must be behind this thing makes my head hurt, but conceptually the Kinect is cool as hell.

Figuring Out Kinect

I’ve always maintained that however good or bad your hardware is, it’s the quality of the games that count, and with Kinect it seems to be that there’s some stuff which doesn’t look bad, one game in particular that looks great, and some stuff that looks sort of terrible, with the worst of the lot seeming to be games that are unresponsive or games where actions in real-life don’t seem to match up to actions on-screen. One thing that struck me with a lot of the launch titles was that while most of the menus in the games were flashy, a lot of the time I looked at menu elements and thought “Well I’ve only been thinking about it for a couple of seconds but already I can figure out a better menu system than this”. I say this not just to highlight that menus in a lot of the Kinect launch games may be quite a slog for casual gamers, but also because firstly; I think it reflects that even with months of development behind the launch titles of the Kinect, there’s still a lot developers are going to have to work out about making games for the Kinect, and secondly; I believe even for casual players the lack of any kind of controller can be a disadvantage in certain situations.

Looking at that first point again, I think perhaps a more telling sign that there’s still a mountain of untapped potential within the Kinect is that the launch titles are more or less the same kinds of games we saw on the Wii. You have the dancing game, the sports games, the fitness games, and the minigame collections. It’s not that I don’t think those games don’t pull off some of that stuff well; Your Shape really could be something that came straight out of a sci-fi story, but we’ve had motion control games for almost four years and while some of the stuff we have now is cool I think the Kinect could go to some really original places, even if any of those places aren’t going to be especially deep.

One thing I was surprised by is that there actually seems to be more of a sense of progression and structure in these games than I was expecting. Up until now most motion control games have steered clear of experience bars or unlockables, but I don’t think these are concepts that should be reserved exclusively for the RPG-loving core gamers. If you have a casual game that you think you can make most players keep coming back too (and if your game is any good chances are they will), then throw in your unlockable items and your simple levelling system. I’m not a fan of Zynga’s Facebook games, and I know they’re not quite the same as motion control games, but if there’s one thing they have proved it’s that that casual gamers can be into basic RPG concepts.

A War of Motion

So I think we all know that Kinect is going to be big, anyone who thinks differently is fooling themselves. As you’d expect it sounds like Microsoft have poured a ridiculous amount of money into marketing, and Kinect has appeared everywhere from day time television to burger boxes. However, for everything the peripheral can do, it seems there are some limitations to its capabilities. Firstly, the Kinect is only capable of recognising two players at a time. Not a huge deal, but if you consider that this peripheral is likely to be popular at big social gatherings it could be a little restricting. Secondly, it requires a certain amount of space in people’s living rooms for use and I think this is the much larger problem. I don’t know the size of the average area of open space in a living room, but figures for how much space you need for Kinect suggest about 6-8 feet, creating this unusual situation where whether you can play certain video games is dependent on the size of the room you’re playing them in.

Whether this thing is going to be as big as the Wii also remains to be seen. I think Wii has a leg up by being the first motion control console on the scene, but even if the Kinect beats the Wii on launch figures, one of the most shocking things about the Wii was the way it seemed to continue to make huge sales month after month. How profitable the Kinect will be compared to the Wii is something I really feel unable to analyse, and I feel like it’s really one for the Michael Pachters of the video game world. At any rate I don’t think the price tag is going to scare too many off, Nintendo underpriced the Wii and with the Wii in such demand £180 was a steal for most. If people really want to play Kinect then they’re going to be ready to fork out the £250 (or the equivalent for their country) for the peripheral.

Bam! There It Is

So there you have it, just about every thought I’ve ever had about the Kinect up to this moment. Here in the UK we’ll be seeing it out in stores November 10th and while I’m sure I’ll want to cringe at many of the amateur reports showing morning news presenters grinning stupidly as they try out some Kinect Sports mini-games, I do hope the Kinect helps bring just a little bit of the entertainment we get from video games to the public at large because when it comes down to it that’s what games are about, entertaining people.

Thank you for reading this gargantuan blog, a special thanks to UncertainOtter and Aetheldod who were particularly complimentary about last week’s blog, as well as Claude who gets props just for being our resident Wii-loving maniac. Good luck, have Skittles.

No Caption Provided
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Aetheldod

I see what you did there ... Skittles ... come Skittles 

Now I agree with you , yet the little "elitistic gamer" in me wants all this motion control madness to go away :p . On the serious side I see your points and to to be frank I do see the potential of Kinect , Dance Central being a somewhat obvious yet well implemented use of the technology ( if only must developers saw/made that) , just that what the Kinect missed was the killer game , the Halo if you will ( not that it had to be a Halo game mind you) if that happens well even I would fall for the Kinect craze (is it to early to say craze?) . Some hope remains after all this is only the first gen of the Kinect games , but unfortunately on the foreseable future the bulk of Kinect games are going to be mini / sports/ fitness games .... :(  

Can I have a cookie with my skittles?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

I might love my Wii, but I'm a fan of motion controls. Granted I only have a Wii for my motion fun. I have an Xbox 360, but I doubt I'll get Kinect any time soon. I still don't have a PS3, but when I do get one, it will be the Move bundle.

I can see a bunch of crazy shit coming down the pipe next year. Kinect will go after the fitness craze which never goes out of style for the masses looking to get fit. I'm not sure what Move will do. It probably depends on units sold for both Move and Kinect. Otherwise, developers will look the other way.

Oddly, I haven't seen much news about Move compatible games coming out this holiday. And other than the launch games, what does Kinect have for the rest of the year?

Being a big virtual golf fan, I see big things for the PS3 and Move when Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 is released next year. They patched this years version on the PS3, but it lacked some of the innovation that the Wii version offered. I wonder if Tiger Woods will be compatible with Kinect next year. That's a big seller for me.

I guess everyone will have to wait and see. Should be a trippin' ass year for motion games. But damn, look at the options of play. Should be something for everyone.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Aetheldod said:
    " I see what you did there ... Skittles ... come Skittles  Now I agree with you , yet the little "elitistic gamer" in me wants all this motion control madness to go away :p . On the serious side I see your points and to to be frank I do see the potential of Kinect , Dance Central being a somewhat obvious yet well implemented use of the technology ( if only must developers saw/made that) , just that what the Kinect missed was the killer game , the Halo if you will ( not that it had to be a Halo game mind you) if that happens well even I would fall for the Kinect craze (is it to early to say craze?) . Some hope remains after all this is only the first gen of the Kinect games , but unfortunately on the foreseable future the bulk of Kinect games are going to be mini / sports/ fitness games .... :(    Can I have a cookie with my skittles? "
    I don't think it's too early to say craze and I think in some ways Kinect already has its Halo, or rather Halos. I don't believe there's ever going to be a single game for any motion control device which outright trumps everything else because even within the realms of motion control there are various different genres of games. I also don't think there is going to be anything on the Kinect which is going to appeal to "core" gamers as much as something like Halo, but there are certain games which have their own specific genres of motion control cornered; Your Shape seems to be by far the superior workout game for the peripheral right now and it's going to take some effort to beat Dance Central in the field of motion control rhythm games. I'd give you a cookie with those skittles, unfortunately I'm not much of a baker and getting the dough to spell out 'Gamer_152' just isn't working out.

@Claude said:
    " I might love my Wii, but I'm a fan of motion controls. Granted I only have a Wii for my motion fun. I have an Xbox 360, but I doubt I'll get Kinect any time soon. I still don't have a PS3, but when I do get one, it will be the Move bundle.  I can see a bunch of crazy shit coming down the pipe next year. Kinect will go after the fitness craze which never goes out of style for the masses looking to get fit. I'm not sure what Move will do. It probably depends on units sold for both Move and Kinect. Otherwise, developers will look the other way.  Oddly, I haven't seen much news about Move compatible games coming out this holiday. And other than the launch games, what does Kinect have for the rest of the year?  Being a big virtual golf fan, I see big things for the PS3 and Move when Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 is released next year. They patched this years version on the PS3, but it lacked some of the innovation that the Wii version offered. I wonder if Tiger Woods will be compatible with Kinect next year. That's a big seller for me.  I guess everyone will have to wait and see. Should be a trippin' ass year for motion games. But damn, look at the options of play. Should be something for everyone. "
    I liked the look of what the last Tiger Woods instalment was doing with the Move controller and I hope you enjoy the Move support with 12, although as with all applications of motion control in pre-existing games, it seems it's less about providing a better gameplay experience in itself, and more about providing a more original and immersive means of input. I definitely think there's potential for some golf games on the Kinect but this is one of those situations where I think the Wii and Move may be able to provide the more realistic experience, just through virtue of giving you something to hold. On the Kinect you also have the issue that if you're going to be pulling your hands up behind your head as part of a swing the Kinect is going to lose track of your hands, but maybe developers will come up with a work-around for that specific problem in the relatively near future. As for the Move line-up, in general there seems to be a lot less buzz over the peripheral than there has been over the Kinect or Wii and I'm getting a little worried about Sony on this one. I wouldn't say the Wii, Kinect, and Move are providing something for everyone, but I certainly agree that they seem to be providing something for everyone interested in motion control of any kind.

In reference to what both of you said there are a lot of motion control games in the pipeline right now themed around generic concepts (fitness, mini-games etc.), but I think developers and publishers are going to see the potential in creating original titles for the peripheral. There is Child of Eden still on the way which is essentially an on-rails shooter, but as it is using the Kinect as an input method it seems as though it could very well provide a unique experience, and it's very pleasing on the eyes too. Brad said on the last Bombcast that it seemed "kind of broken" when he played it, but this was an earlier build and I believe it's perfectly possible the game will be entirely technically sound on release. Really, until the Kinect can make use of the controller-less technology it's been flaunting so highly to do what the Wii never did, in the long term I don't think it's in the running to match the kind of profits Nintendo raked in. How long it's going to take for developers to figure this out though, is something that still remains to be seen.
    paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By paradox121

Great blog!
    I was discussing the Kinect with a mate earlier and we came to the conclusion that its very 'toy-like'. By that I mean it has its purpose, its fun, but its not exactly something youll play endlessly. Kinda reminds me of those fake laptops you get at christmas as a kid only to find out it teaches you how to spell with Winnie the Pooh :) 

A lot of people compare the Kinect with the Wii in terms of them both being devices launching in uncharted grounds. The massive difference for me though is that if nothing else, the Wii could fall back on some kind of regular control system. So at launch, you could have all your gimmicky motiony sportsy games, but also have some 'regular' games that may not implement the motion stuff to such a degree, and so can attempt to attract the hardcore / average gamer market. With Kinect, you dont have anything to fall back on (literally). 

Sure, you have a 360 controller, but the idea is you're purely using Kinect for these games. So regular FPSs, RPGs, even simple platformers will be totally new ground to implement for for developers. In many ways Microsoft has cut their market into two sides; purely motion controls for the broad casual audience and normal controls for your standard games, compared to the Move and Wii which have implementations on both sides. So, maybe its a unwise decision. Or maybe it keeps the motion control stuff to one side. I mean, they even coloured the boxes differently. Can you imagine how crazy 'hardcore' gamers would be if the 360 shelves became littered with Kinect shovelware with no seperation of the two? Theres now a clear divide, that is great for selling your system and appealing to audiences, but perhaps could result in developers just not bothering to develop much worthwhile for it.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @paradox121 said:
    " Great blog! I was discussing the Kinect with a mate earlier and we came to the conclusion that its very 'toy-like'. By that I mean it has its purpose, its fun, but its not exactly something youll play endlessly. Kinda reminds me of those fake laptops you get at christmas as a kid only to find out it teaches you how to spell with Winnie the Pooh :)  A lot of people compare the Kinect with the Wii in terms of them both being devices launching in uncharted grounds. The massive difference for me though is that if nothing else, the Wii could fall back on some kind of regular control system. So at launch, you could have all your gimmicky motiony sportsy games, but also have some 'regular' games that may not implement the motion stuff to such a degree, and so can attempt to attract the hardcore / average gamer market. With Kinect, you dont have anything to fall back on (literally).   Sure, you have a 360 controller, but the idea is you're purely using Kinect for these games. So regular FPSs, RPGs, even simple platformers will be totally new ground to implement for for developers. In many ways Microsoft has cut their market into two sides; purely motion controls for the broad casual audience and normal controls for your standard games, compared to the Move and Wii which have implementations on both sides. So, maybe its a unwise decision. Or maybe it keeps the motion control stuff to one side. I mean, they even coloured the boxes differently. Can you imagine how crazy 'hardcore' gamers would be if the 360 shelves became littered with Kinect shovelware with no seperation of the two? Theres now a clear divide, that is great for selling your system and appealing to audiences, but perhaps could result in developers just not bothering to develop much worthwhile for it. "
    Thank you. On the whole I don't think the Kinect games are designed to be played endlessly; we have games that we can play for hours on end but that's because they're important to us, casual gamers want games that they can jump in and out of easily at parties, or just check back on a few times a week, and so developers and publishers have to respond by making games that accommodate that. I think comparisons between the Kinect and Wii are only apt as they're both applications of motion control technology aimed at the casual market, but the situation for Nintendo is rather different than it is for Microsoft. Even if the Kinect can't do motion control, it doesn't have anything to fall back on, I'd say Nintendo made a far greater risk, and not just because they were the first guys to try motion control. For Microsoft all their motion control games are connected to a peripheral, if things don't work out they can just scrap the peripheral and they'll still have their regular old Xbox 360 to fall back on. For Nintendo motion control is an integral part of their console and has been from the start, even if motion control hadn't worked out for them they'd never have really been able to shake off how oriented towards motion control their platform was.

I think we're unlikely to see developers implementing RPGs on the Kinect as these are types of games for which the average casual gamer simply doesn't want to put in anywhere near the time they require. I also think that almost any "core" genre that is adapted to the Kinect won't come out as we know it, they're going to be geared towards casual gamers. In terms of games Microsoft are absolutely cutting their consumer base right down the middle, but that's not to say Nintendo and Sony haven't been doing the same thing. They may not have colour-coded boxes but if you watch any Nintendo press conference from the past few years it's easy to see what they're aiming at casual gamers (the Wii series, 3rd party shovelware etc.), and what they're aiming at their more traditional fanbase (Zelda, Kid Icarus, etc.). Nintendo have flirted with motion controls in games like Mario and Zelda but they've been very good about walking a line where they don't let motion controls intrude on the core gameplay, but this is a line Microsoft could almost never walk.

Overall I think Microsoft are going to benefit from having a clear-cut divide between their Kinect and non-Kinect titles. Like I said on the whole traditional gamers don't want motion controls in their games, and casual gamers don't want the complexity of core games in their games. The Kinect/non-Kinect system they've got going not only makes it easier for gamers to find the games that will appeal to them, but also makes both sides feel more comfortable. I don't think this system is going to cause a flood of shovelware games though; believe me, I do think the shovelware is coming, but I don't think developers are many more incentivised to make shovelware for the Kinect than they are for the Wii or Move, and if anything is going to bring that flood it's going to be the casual-gamers-buy-anything mentality that plagued the Wii. Developers and publishers aren't dumb though, and I'm sure someone out there will see the worth of creating something original, rather than just mini-game collection #304.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.