Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Do you think Kinect will sell well?

miniturehero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By miniturehero
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Its all ready sold out in most places....thats pretty old news dude. 

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By damswedon

My mum knows about it, Yeah it will sell.

Robiin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Robiin

Sell well? Yes
    Profitable? Hell no, if it doesn't stick around for more than like ten years. 500 million bucks is a lot.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

sell more than the move, obviously, but not all that well.

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Colin

My silly friend who doesn't actually have a room big enough in his house to use it pre-ordered one ages ago... so it probably will but most likely die off.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By guiseppe

Oh it'll sell. Top men have been on it. Though I personally have no interest in it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

I see it selling well, even though I don't want it to.

AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AndyPhifer

It'll sell well, but not to me. I can't find 6 feet in my living room, so no chance I'll be able to get it. I spent about 45 minutes last week trying to change the layout to get 6 feet, and I never could. Sucks. I'm really interested in it (maybe not at launch, but down the line).
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jozzy

My recreation room is waiting in anticipation for this bad boy. My kids too. 
    Me, I hope they'll make some more innovative use of the device in the future.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Robiin said:

"  Sell well? Yes Profitable? Hell no, if it doesn't stick around for more than like ten years. 500 million bucks is a lot. "

If the $500 million marketing figure is true (which I'm not convinced of, but let's assume it is true for a minute), then it's pretty clear that MS don't want to make a profit from kinect. With a marketing budget like that, they're not after profit (at least not in the short term), they merely want to drag away a large proportion of the Wii's market share, and then hold onto those customers for the long term, when they will start to make money.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

There is no way it won't.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MattyFTM said:
    " @Robiin said:
    "  Sell well? Yes Profitable? Hell no, if it doesn't stick around for more than like ten years. 500 million bucks is a lot. "
    If the $500 million marketing figure is true (which I'm not convinced of), then it's pretty clear that MS don't want to make a profit from it. With a marketing budget like that, they're don't want a profit (at least not in the short term), they merely want to drag away a large proportion of the Wii's market share, and then hold onto those customers for the long term, where they will make money. "
    The only big market thing I heard was the shameless Oprah plug
    mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mesklinite
    @damswedon said:
    "My mum knows about it, Yeah it will sell. "

This my mother in law is buying an xbox and kinect for your shape fitness evolved. No controller makes a huge difference for some people.
    eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eristocrat

It will sell pretty darn good, my unit for success for the thing would be if it ends up selling more units than there are 360's now, which I think it will get close to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Though like the Wii, I think the attach rate will be abysmal. 

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lukeweizer

Ellen Degeneres loves it. Therefore, every woman aged 28-55 will buy it.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Djeffers03

It'll do abysmal with the hardcore gamers and incredibly well with the grannies. 

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By septim

I think it's pretty obvious they are limiting supply to create an artificial sense of scarcity. Just like Nintendo did with the Wii.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Robiin said:

Not much to create a whole brand. Just like how microsoft only recently ever made any money on this whole "xbox" thing. It's taken over 9 years for them to turn any profit on the xbox. I think they're trying to create a Kinect brand that will help them in the long run. If it sells more xboxes, then the Kinect will have been a smashing success in MS's eyes.  

Personally I think it'll do well. It's like a wii, only it actually takes advantage of modern TVs and technology to bring something that hopefully won't end up a silly gimmick. People buy into that kinda stuff. 
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zombie2011

Yeah there is quite a bit of hype building for this launch.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By nickux

I think that like a lot of new peripherals, initial sales will be strong but will quickly taper off. All depends on games and so far uhhh there aren't a lot of exciting things on the horizon. I also think people will be thrown by it. If it's meant to appeal to casuals and people who don't understand technology (or are novice tech people) I can see how they might have trouble setting it up and comprehending it, etc. 

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @MattyFTM said:
    " @Robiin said:
    If the $500 million marketing figure is true (which I'm not convinced of), then it's pretty clear that MS don't want to make a profit from it. With a marketing budget like that, they're don't want a profit (at least not in the short term), they merely want to drag away a large proportion of the Wii's market share, and then hold onto those customers for the long term, where they will make money. "
    The only big market thing I heard was the shameless Oprah plug "
    By shameless do you mean smart and (somewhat) miraculous marketing? 
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Manhattan_Project said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @MattyFTM said:
    " @Robiin said:
    By shameless do you mean smart and (somewhat) miraculous marketing?  "
    Meaning you could give away used tissues on Oprah and the people there would go insane. 
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Vinny_Says

My old house had a huge finished basement where I could take advantage of Kinect. Not so much now unless I totally rearranged the room. I imagine most people don't have the space required either. 

Hope it sells anyway, gotta be positive right? I just hope they keep releasing Gears of War and shit.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By JJOR64

Yes.  I think it will do fairly well.

snipeshow_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By snipeshow_17

It going to sell much better now that Oprah had it on her show. That was such a smart move by Microsoft because now a majority of the house wives and women (and some men) who watch her show are now informed of the product. In most cases these individuals did not even know that Kinect existed. Obviously Microsoft wants to market it to this particular audience so it was a great choice by them to bring it to her show. I believe i read somewhere, probably destructoid, that Kinect pre order went dramatically up after the show. 

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @snipeshow_17 said:
    " It going to sell much better now that Oprah had it on her show. That was such a smart move by Microsoft because now a majority of the house wives and women (and some men) who watch her show are now informed of the product. In most cases these individuals did not even know that Kinect existed. Obviously Microsoft wants to market it to this particular audience so it was a great choice by them to bring it to her show. I believe i read somewhere, probably destructoid, that Kinect pre order went dramatically up after the show.  "
    Course now they are gonna have to buy a 360 AND the kinect. 
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Brendan
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @MattyFTM said:
    " @Robiin said:

Dude, even if you don't like Oprah or Kinect, don't diss that marketing move.  That was brilliant.
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man: Nope, meaning they managed to get games in front of millions of brainwashed moms (its no coincidence that sales rose 42% for the standalone version and 62% for the bundle) by doing what marketing people consider the holy grail of advertisement especially when she thinks video games are ruining kids.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Diamond

Yes, but I don't think it'll do as well as Wii.  Another note is each of these marketing pushed video game fad devices will do worse than the previous.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

maybe, i'm not going to be a person who buys it. i don't plan on using something funny like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.