Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

I've Been Playing Kinect for Two Months: Don't Ask Me Anything!

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff  Online

So I was in the Kinect Beta.  Due to the NDA, we're not allowed to talk specifically about what we were able to play and test, but after two months of secretly playing this... thing in my apartment, I just had to say at least something now that Kinect is officially out in the wild.  The info below (minus the part about the sensor arriving) is stuff that anyone can know and find out today if they buy a Kinect. 

OMG WHAT IS THAT MIDDLE ICON?!
       OMG WHAT IS THAT MIDDLE ICON?!
    One day at the end of August, right before PAX 2010, I was prompted to download a dashboard update.  That turned out to be the NEW New Xbox Experience that everyone now has.  A few days later, I got a package from Microsoft containing a shiny, new Kinect sensor.  The set up was easy on the slim Xbox 360 and after a couple hours downloading all the content for it, I was ready to try this thing out.  For the first couple weeks that I had it, I played it for at least an hour every day.  But, as time went on, I generally lost interest much in the same way I did with the Wii four years ago.  I can't say I didn't have fun though, because I certainly did.  The technology is pretty amazing and will likely surprise people the first time they use it.  

Yes, you will look like an idiot playing this.
     Yes, you will look like an idiot playing this.
    The extent at which it can track your body's location and position is rather astounding, and will quickly change the way you think about playing motion games.  No longer do you just stand there, shoulders parallel to the TV, and slightly move your arms.  You can do that if you want, but you will soon realize that you can get way into whatever you're playing by moving around your available play area.  Another standout feature is the presentation.  It's almost shocking the first time you hear licensed music during the replays when you're so used to the sterile world of Wii Sports.  The Wii launched just four years ago and suddenly seems ancient.  You mean there was a time when we played bowling video games without laser shows and LL Cool J?  That's absurd!  

At least you won't be inadvertantly throwing things at your TV.
     At least you won't be inadvertantly throwing things at your TV.
    Navigating the menu with Kinect works fine but you don't actually get to use the real dashboard.  There's a subsection called the Kinect Hub that you switch to when you wave your hand back and forth to activate the Kinect.  The voice commands are fun to use as well, but if you have a controller turned on already, it'd be tough to argue that the controller isn't a faster way to get to what you want most of the time.  Certain voice command options are only available on certain menus.  You can't just turn your Xbox on and immediately say "Xbox Suggest a Movie" and expect to be taken to the Zune Marketplace.  But if you are in the Zune Marketplace, that command will immediately pick a movie, pull up info about it and start playing the trailer in the background.  It's pretty slick. 

Something Like a Phenomenon
     Something Like a Phenomenon
    Anyway, those of you picking up a Kinect today will certainly have fun.  Would I recommend dropping $150-200 on Kinect and a game?  Probably not right now.  But if you can afford it and it looks even remotely enticing to you, you're certainly going to be the life of the party or family get together during the rapidly approaching holiday season.    
    samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By samfo

thanks for sharing! Good read. Do you get to keep the kinect sensor?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

Looks cool. The reviews so far are pretty awesome and it seems like there really isn't much lag. Also, the voice commands look like they work amazingly! I was watching the Kotaku review and he was talking to the camera while succesffuly navigating the dashboard 95% of the time. It just seems that the problem, if you'd like to call it that, is with the software available right now. But of course that is subjective to what types of games you like, and what games come out in the future. 

Dance Central, Kinectimals, Adventures and Joy Ride are what look fun to me right now.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Marino  Staff  Online
    @SamFo: Yes.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By landon

You have a nice set up there.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By FinalDasa

Thanks! I was worried about how the technology would translate into real practice. 
    Now I don't have to worry about getting one as much. 

Did you really need all 8 feet of suggested space?

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Heartagram

Very nice read. Informative and well written =D

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Mmmslash

All I can really say is that I appreciate your home's cleanliness and dedication to your hobby.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By niamahai

Thank you for the write up.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I don't have room for this shit, neither do I find any of the games remotely interesting. If I had the money spare then I would get one purely for the novelty value, but it's a little too much to splash out on something which you get bored with after a week or two.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By rjayb89

Lovely write-up, señor.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Marino  Staff  Online
    @FinalDasa said:

"Did you really need all 8 feet of suggested space? "

For one person, maybe not that much.  For two people though, probably.  What you have to remember though is that you are moving around in a lot of the games, not just leaning.  If you want to step up and crowd the table on table tennis, you can.  If you want to back up to give yourself time to put spin on the ball, you can.  If you get too close to the camera, it will pause and tell you to back up.  That happens more often in bowling since you're approaching the camera in your delivery.  I would imagine it happening more often the less space you have.  If you have enough room to play 4-player Rock Band, you're probably okay. 

@Sweep said:

" I don't have room for this shit, neither do I find any of the games remotely interesting. If I had the money spare then I would get one purely for the novelty value, but it's a little too much to splash out on something which you get bored with after a week or two. "

While I did lose interest after a couple weeks, I did keep playing.  Just not an hour a day.  Plus, I didn't have access to every game.  And the games I did have access to were not full versions.  So there's potentially a game out there that would keep me interested longer.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Hitchenson

Nice set up.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By CptBedlam

Thanks for sharing this.

wubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By wubb

Excellent write up and a nice space you have there.  I need to get something to hang over my gaming TV.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Hamz

Nice write up and nice choice of interior décor as well. I like your sofas! 

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Red12b

I agree with Hamz, Is that your place? 

Nice. very swank.  

Good write up dude, apparently anything other than 7 feet of space is useless, did you try spacing it and testing that? 

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marino  Staff  Online
    @Hamz said:
    " Nice write up and nice choice of interior décor as well. I like your sofas!  "
    Thanks.  One day the sofas will actually be paid for! 

@Red12b said:
    " I agree with Hamz, Is that your place?  Nice. very swank.   Good write up dude, apparently anything other than 7 feet of space is useless, did you try spacing it and testing that?  "
    It's my apartment, yeah.  I didn't move any furniture around to test distances really.  If I put my heels at the edge of my couch, I'm right around 9 feet from the camera.  While playing though, you're moving around at least a 4x4 area in some situations.  So, 7 feet sounds about right considering you can't be too close to it.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By JJWeatherman

I wish I could have been part of the beta program, well, beyond the dashboard stuff I mean. Seems cool, I want to try it out now. 

Thanks for sharing, and nice shirt.  :)

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Cwaff
    @Hitchenson said:
    " Nice set up. "
    I wish I had a set up like that!
    Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
    SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

This is quality and very cool! Thanks!

WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By WJist

I was just curious in your testing if having the sensor on the bottom of the TV or top of the TV made a difference in Kinect's tracking capability - it seems like most of MS's promotional material always showed it on top of the TV, despite saying you have the option of either like the Wii sensor bar.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Marino  Staff  Online
    @WJist
    I was just curious in your testing if having the sensor on the bottom of the TV or top of the TV made a difference in Kinect's tracking capability - it seems like most of MS's promotional material always showed it on top of the TV, despite saying you have the option of either like the Wii sensor bar.
    I had no real issues with it being below the tv. I never tried it on top since I had no way to mount it there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.