Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Kinect is awesome at everything other than Video Games

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By turboman

Just got introduced to this youtube video that I think you should sit down and watch and see what kind of cool stuff people are being able to do with the Kinect when they dig into it. It's kind of crazy how fast people are able to hack into the thing and experiment with it and make cool conceptual ideas with it. Only makes me wonder what the future holds for hackers with the Kinect.. maybe they'll figure out how to make Sonic Riders actually work. 

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Ok. Now I'm excited about Kinect!^^ 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

There is definitely strong potential for applications for the device outside of games and I've thought about them before. This is actually a pretty high-tech piece of camera technology which costs comparatively little to buy, and could present a massive opportunity for people looking to use it for something more than games. it's a shame access to programming the Kinect isn't open for everyone.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By turboman
    @Gamer_152: from the looks of how easy hackers have access to it, I wouldn't be surprised if someone made something kickass for it, and Microsoft might open it up further down the road.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

Those shadows remind me of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Those shadows danced on their own tune.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @TurboMan said:
    " @Gamer_152: from the looks of how easy hackers have access to it, I wouldn't be surprised if someone made something kickass for it, and Microsoft might open it up further down the road. "
    A lot of people think Microsoft are going to allow people access to the code libraries and everything with the next Windows OS. I can see the hacker community brewing up some awesome things, but I still don't think people are going to be able to truly benefit from this device until it's legal for amateur programmers to make programs for the Kinect.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dude, that's really awesome.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Lemoncookie01

The future is now.

Avatar image for beautifulspacecowboy
    BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

There are some very cool possibilities for the Kinect on the homebrew front.

Vyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Vyper

I have to admit. That was amazingly cool.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Brunchies

Microsoft should hire some these hackers to help with adapting kinect to work better with the 360 and in the future, another service pack for windows 7. Seriously some cool opportunities in the future for this tech. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.