Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

What uses would you like built into a "Hardcore gamers" game.

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By fentonalpha

There has to be more to Kinect than just leaning, jumping and dancing.  It really seems like when a new inovation comes out like this Devs get caught up on what the others guys used it for.
    What use would you like to see built into a game like Halo, CoD or **insert you fave game here**

example:
    With working voice control, Better Inventory selection management.... "Cast Bufu" to cast Bufu in Elder Scrolls  V or "Select Uzi" to do so in Fallout New Vegas **all optional enhancements"

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tsolless

Wait, is this for innovations other than Kinect or how to utilize aspects of Kinect into games that we like?

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Linkin10362
    @fentonalpha said:
    "Cast Bufu" to cast Bufu in Elder Scrolls  V
    What?
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

Keyboard and mouse connectivity.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Tell me when they are able to make it so the game is not on rails or a party game. Or some kind of "board" based game (skateboard. Snowboarding)  

That sonic quicklook is all I needed to see.  

@fentonalpha said:

" There has to be more to Kinect than just leaning, jumping and dancing.    

How are they gonna register you walking forward or back ward? They have hard enough time with people sitting down. 
    tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tsolless

I think Kinect could have some great classic style adventure games. 

Will it ever? Probably not.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @tsolless said:
    " I think Kinect could have some great classic style adventure games.   Will it ever? Probably not. "
    Did you watch the quicklook?  Kinect makes traversing menus a challenge.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @tsolless said:
    " I think Kinect could have some great classic style adventure games.   Will it ever? Probably not. "
    Did you watch the quicklook?  Kinect makes traversing menus a challenge. "
    Not to mention the near heart attack. 
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " Keyboard and mouse connectivity. "
    this and only this. controllers are for nubcakes.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bionicicide

Squad commands for a shooter. 

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By WickedCestus
    @Linkin10362 said:
    " @fentonalpha said:
    What? "
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By adoggz

RTSs. Someone could probably come up with a crazy minority report interface for RTS games that would be infinitely better than anything a controller can do, and maybe it could even be better than keyboard and mouse.

ashenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ashenn
    @adoggz said:
    " RTSs. Someone could probably come up with a crazy minority report interface for RTS games that would be infinitely better than anything a controller can do, and maybe it could even be better than keyboard and mouse. "
    I wish. But looking at that quicklook seemed like that might be a little hard to do since ryan couldn't even hit the start button and had a hard time dragging stuff around. 
    I always though it was a huge shame that they took out so much of the detail that the camera would pick up. Just seems to me that they are going for the wii market and aren't really willing to do much more. 
    But M/S please prove me wrong and bring out a great game that I would want to play
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ajamafalous
    @fentonalpha said:
    " "Cast Bufu" to cast Bufu in Elder Scrolls  V "

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for thekingoftoilets
    thekingoftoilets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thekingoftoilets

I would personally just like to see it work with a fan on in the background.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A dick, so anyone who calls themselves a "hardcore gamer" can easily go fuck themselves.  (JK, just something about that saying pisses me off). 

On topic: I like the squad commands for a shooter, I think it'll be really interesting when they figure out how to make menus work, because those have the potential to be really futuristic and cool.   

I'm interested to see how they handle the ARI interface in Heavy Rain when it gets Move-ified.  I'd love to play that game where you throw that  ball at that wall of bricks in the PD when I'm playing as Norman Jayden.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By adoggz
    @Ashenn:  You shouldn't judge kinect based on an in progress shitty sonic game. If we judged consoles based on sonic games everything past the dreamcast would suck horribly.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @adoggz said:
    " @Ashenn:  You shouldn't judge kinect based on an in progress shitty sonic game. If we judged consoles based on sonic games everything past the dreamcast would suck horribly. "
    Every shitty Sonic game on the dreamcast had menus that worked.
    A_Wet_Shamwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By A_Wet_Shamwow
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " Keyboard and mouse connectivity. "
    ''
    Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think Kinect should just be for shovelware, because it has potential to produce the highest quality shovelware of the 3 consoles. Any form of motion controls in hXc games is usually not as good as a controller and doing an action and having it imitated on-screen is hardly fun. I personally think Kinect doesn't need to do hXc games. It was made for a different market.

ashenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By ashenn
    @adoggz said:
    " @Ashenn:  You shouldn't judge kinect based on an in progress shitty sonic game. If we judged consoles based on sonic games everything past the dreamcast would suck horribly. "
    No you are right. I guess like most gamers I'm just a little disappointed in the lack of anything that would spike my interest so far. 
    The tech should work because it isn't particularly a new idea, but the idea is useless to me if they don't implement it in the right way and that means they have to put a game out that either shows us a new way to play or improves on the old way. 
    And don't get me wrong there is nothing I want more than for M/S to come up with that. 
    I guess we will just have to wait and see.
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By adoggz

@teh_pwnzorer: 
    2 things. First, most of the sonic game son the dreamcast were good, or at least decent so of course the menus worked. Second, the controller has been around for 20+ years of course shit works with it. Motion controls are new you cant expect game companies to immediately know what to do with it there is a lot of experimentation and focus testing game makers have to do. Do the makers of sonic games have the ability to do that? no. they have to crib off someone else. If they can't even find the time to make a good sonic game how are they suppost to invent a new interface?

@Ashenn:
      yeah, there never is much out on launch. Itll take a while till we see a bunch of games that can utilize its technology well.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @adoggz said:

"   @teh_pwnzorer:  2 things. First, most of the sonic game son the dreamcast were good, or at least decent so of course the menus worked. Second, the controller has been around for 20+ years of course shit works with it. Motion controls are new you cant expect game companies to immediately know what to do with it there is a lot of experimentation and focus testing game makers have to do. Do the makers of sonic games have the ability to do that? no. they have to crib off someone else. If they can't even find the time to make a good sonic game how are they suppost to invent a new interface? "

This is the first mouse: 

Here's an early "keyboard" (circa 1878): 

My guess is that both of these devices are more precise and responsive than Kinect.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @adoggz said:

"   @teh_pwnzorer:  2 things. First, most of the sonic game son the dreamcast were good, or at least decent so of course the menus worked. Second, the controller has been around for 20+ years of course shit works with it. Motion controls are new you cant expect game companies to immediately know what to do with it there is a lot of experimentation and focus testing game makers have to do. Do the makers of sonic games have the ability to do that? no. they have to crib off someone else. If they can't even find the time to make a good sonic game how are they suppost to invent a new interface? "

This is the first mouse: 

Here's an early "keyboard" (circa 1878): 

My guess is that both of these devices are more precise and responsive than Kinect. "
    Both of those devices are also much less effective than the modern ones we have now.  The same will happen with future motion control.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    "
    Both of those devices are also much less effective than the modern ones we have now.  The same will happen with future motion control. "
    What will happen with future motion control?  

You can do the following with the Hansen Writing Ball:

You think you will be able to waggle your fingers in the air in the future and attain the same typing proficiency as an 1878 device?   Even if motion control becomes this advanced...you will not get the tactile response a Hansen Writing Ball gave you in 1878.
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By adoggz
    @teh_pwnzorer: 
    and what are you basing that opinion on? Have you used ether of those devices? have you used kinect?
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @adoggz said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer:  and what are you basing that opinion on? Have you used ether of those devices? have you used kinect? "
    Common sense and Ryan's quick look.  Ryan had trouble pressing the start button. There is a low probability of producing a "Z" when typing an "A" on the Hansen writing ball,  judging by its "digital" design.
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fentonalpha
    @Linkin10362 said:
    " @fentonalpha said:
    What? "
    Oh man, I was totally thinking about writing that they should integrate "Bufu" support so that you could cast it in anygame... but then got distracted and when i came back to finish writing my brain assumed that "bufu" was a given possibility in all worlds... don't post on Forums when you should be going to bed instead.  I stand by it now... Bufu integration in Kinect... Civ V: What's that Gandhi?, You don't like my trade offer... "Bufu!"
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fentonalpha
    @InfamousBIG said:
    "  A dick, so anyone who calls themselves a "hardcore gamer" can easily go fuck themselves. "
    I agree, hence the quotes... but also that would be an incredibly popular feature.
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Kinect wants to do so many things. 

It needs to focus on doing at least one thing really well before it can branch out to do more. Most people aren't even judging Kinect at its infancy, they're judging it prenatal (nyuk nyuk). 

Seriously, it should concentrate on doing one thing well so more games can capitalize on that one thing before branching out to doing other things well. Games that do lots of innovative things terribly makes for a terrible experience that will reflect badly on any platform its hosted on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.