Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jul 31, 2012

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance is a new entry in the Kingdom Hearts series for the 3DS.

That Quickplay was awful.

• 138 results
    Molomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Molomar

It was so incredibly obvious that neither of them gave a fuck about the game and that harmed it. I know it may not be their type, and they aren't into the Kingdom Hearts universe, but still. When Totalbiscuit does his "WTF is..." series, which he based off of quickplays, even if he doesn't have interest in the game he still sounds excited about it if its good. He hates platformers or puzzlers, but it still sounds like he has fun with them if they're good. Kingdom Hearts 3D is a great game. Not the best in the series, but the combat is incredibly fun, if you play it right. Brad just didn't give a fuck... He skipped all the cutscenes and tutorials, had no idea how to use the combat system. Like what was up with him wondering if he could use flowmotion in that area? You can use flowmotion anywhere in the game! Also, they complained about there not being enough Disney or Square, which is a bunch of bullshit. The first level is ALL Square characters. The World Ends With You and Kingdom Hearts characters, which is Square. Right after that all the worlds you choose from are Disney! This was just an awful quickplay. It showed very little new things of the game, it was obvious they didn't give a shit about doing their job, and it was all just a big bunch of blah. Usually the quickplays are great, but this one was pathetic.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

"Look"

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Canteu

@Molomar said:

It was so incredibly obvious that neither of them gave a fuck about the game and that harmed it.

Them making a video of them playing a game you like actively made the game worse? That's some impressive power they seem to have.

And it's pronounced "SlowBrowse"

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By htr10

@FluxWaveZ said:

"Look"

Crap, where? What is it? Everybody get down!

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By doobie

shit game though... what do you expect from a shit game. a shit quickview is obvious

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By falserelic

This isn't going to end well......

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Petiew

A lot of quick looks, jrpgs in particular, are filled with a feeling of disdain. If you're interested in getting a better look at these games just check out some coverage on a different site. The guys aren't particuarly knowledgeable about more niche genres and their content is generally meant to be more entertaining or to give a casual player not used to the genre a look into it.

Just don't take their content as seriously, I just skip through most of their fighting game and jrpg coverage these days.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By jonnyboy

It's almost as if you haven't watched any Quick Plays Looks on this site?

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Willtron

@Molomar said:

It was so incredibly obvious that neither of them gave a fuck about the game and that harmed it. I know it may not be their type, and they aren't into the Kingdom Hearts universe, but still. When Totalbiscuit does his "WTF is..." series, which he based off of quickplays, even if he doesn't have interest in the game he still sounds excited about it if its good. He hates platformers or puzzlers, but it still sounds like he has fun with them if they're good. Kingdom Hearts 3D is a great game. Not the best in the series, but the combat is incredibly fun, if you play it right. Brad just didn't give a fuck... He skipped all the cutscenes and tutorials, had no idea how to use the combat system. Like what was up with him wondering if he could use flowmotion in that area? You can use flowmotion anywhere in the game! Also, they complained about there not being enough Disney or Square, which is a bunch of bullshit. The first level is ALL Square characters. The World Ends With You and Kingdom Hearts characters, which is Square. Right after that all the worlds you choose from are Disney! This was just an awful quickplay. It showed very little new things of the game, it was obvious they didn't give a shit about doing their job, and it was all just a big bunch of blah. Usually the quickplays are great, but this one was pathetic.

Fair enough if you're really butt-hurt. And yes, the Giant Bomb guys have been accused of phoning it in. Andddddd yes, Brad and Ryan readily admitted that they don't like Kingdom Hearts.

But as far as the 'Square' argument, it's a matter of choice of words. It's obvious that Brad and Ryan were referring to dudes like we'd seen in Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II--Final Fantasy dudes all up in your face. The World Ends With You? Fair enough. But you can't consider Kingdom Hearts characters to be 'Square' in a crossover sense, because it's a fucking Kingdom Hearts game. I'd hope that Kingdom Hearts characters would be in a Kingdom Hearts game.

Adaurin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Adaurin

@Petiew said:

A lot of quick looks, jrpgs in particular, are filled with a feeling of disdain.

The quick look of Xenoblade is pretty damn positive.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

...no. I really think Brad wanted to like it, he seemed to me like he did, but it's been so long since he's played a KH game that he doesn't know what's going on, and he was probably also trying to figure out the battle system.

And, frankly, at this point the game's stories are indecipherable to anyone who hasn't really kept up with the fiction, and they're not easy to keep up with if you have. Apart from that, the camera in that game was swinging around wildly, almost sickeningly, which is enough to make a lot of people want to not play a game at all.

So, yeah. Opinions, bro.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By killacam

man, that quickpeek was off the chain!

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By drac96

@Molomar: I like Kingdom hearts a lot, but you're blowing this out of proportion.

First of all it's a quicklook. Second, of course they don't care about it. It's a completely story driven game and neither of them have played any of the others. Brad mentioned on the bomcast that he had only previously played around six hours of the original.

The "job" of a quicklook is to show a bit of the game and they did that.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Petiew
    @Adaurin: Sure, I didn't mean they irrationally hate all jrpgs and you're right the xenoblade QL was positive. But overall it's a genre they aren't very interested in and this translates fairly obviously to a lot of the quick looks or conversations on the bombcast that take place.
    starrjack1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By starrjack1

This guy talking about "Quickplays" reminds me of my grandma talking about "That Nintendo PlayBox you kids like so much"

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By landon

Who gives a shit.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Phatmac

YEAH MAN THAT "QUICKPLAY" SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 oh wait..

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Huey2k2

@Molomar said:

You obviously like the game, so who gives a shit if the QuickLook wasn't great?

This could be a generalization, but I feel like most people already know whether they want the game or not. Either you like KH or you don't. That QL was probably not going to sway anybodies opinion either way regardless.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol quickplay

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

Should I start a video series of Quickplays, which is just me and some other unfortunate user doing Quick Looks of obscure-ass games, only with purposefully bad quality video and shitty Russian accents?

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CptPanda29

Someone has a different opinion on the internet!

Also with an obvious typo this could be the most cliche'd forum thread of all time...

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cloudenvy

I want all that quickplay.

Thanatos3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Thanatos3

who cares? If you like the series you will buy it. The only thing i disagreed with was the story that they complained about, you don't play say MGS 1 and go strait to MGS 4 and complain that everything is different and you cant make sense. I see it as unfair. I wish i could bring up a better example like LOTR but someone else did in the QL. Other than that the QL was pretty fair.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25  Edited By zyn

Quick! Someone copyright "Quick Play"!

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By kindgineer

While I think you completely over-reacted, I agree with you. The problem is the breadth of the game and I think it is a flaw Giantbomb needs to consider. It would be nice to maybe see a Quick Look that is actually pieced together content of the game from several different areas. That way we are not seeing such a tiny bit of the game and can actually here the guys' opinion on the content over-time.

I don't know, just my two cents. Your raging is going to cause the Devil's Advocates here to roll over in their grave, so be careful and just ignore the bullshit replies.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King said:

Should I start a video series of Quickplays, which is just me and some other unfortunate user doing Quick Looks of obscure-ass games, only with purposefully bad quality video and shitty Russian accents?

Don't tread on Gamebomb.ru, those guys will call in the Russian mafia on your ass.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Willtron

As a few others have pointed out, too, this is a game that is deep and entrenched in its story. Brad readily admitted he was warming up to the game, but the story is a fucking impenetrable mess to someone who doesn't keep up with it. And Brad and Ryan, whether they aren't exactly fans of J-RPGs or not, are basically paid not to keep up with franchises. Their jobs demand they play a shit-load of games.

And it's a quick look, a quick look where Brad was only level five. Sometimes people aren't going to understand all of the game's mechanics right away. Yes, it can be annoying when the dudes don't have everything down. It's more annoying when they miss blatant tips in games. But, again, these guys kinda have to play a shit-ton of games as a job. It's kind of hard to be a master at a game, especially one with so many systems in place like Kingdom Hearts in so little time.

And honestly, their J-RPG coverage is like their sports coverage, to me. Sports games are iterative, generally. The coverage isn't warranted. Especially when there's sites dedicated to sports games that can figure out the nuances from year-to-year. Generally, bigger sites like Gamespot or IGN have shit sports game coverage because they don't know how to play the fucking games. Or, sometimes, maybe said games really are iterative and have nothing worthy to offer. Just like sometimes J-RPGs can be iterative. These dudes are a small team. They aren't Gamespot. Jeff has said several times over that Giant Bomb's mentality is not to try to appeal to everyone for everything. They can't. And that's smart. So because of that, they aren't going to have a 'J-RPG guy' like sites might have in the old days of video games journalism. They aren't interested in J-RPGs. And Kingdom Hearts had a lot stacked against it with a mess of a story, deep systems, disinterest, and a busy schedule that's counter-intuitive to a game like Kingdom Hearts.

But again, Brad was warming up to it. Just like Patrick warmed up to Xenoblade and gave it a fair quick look. Like Alex gave NBA 2K11 a glowing review because it deserved attention. As much as Giant Bomb is a small team, they still do need to appeal to niche games and the masses sometimes, to grow. It's a hindrance and it's also completely necessary. I think that's why they covered Kingdom Hearts. They felt like they needed to. And Brad tried. Did it do the game a disservice? Maybe. It especially would to a die-hard. Just like watching these guys fumble through Football Manager wouldn't be fun for me if I took the video too seriously. But then again, I consider myself a die-hard racing dude, and I still enjoy the racing sim quick looks. Because I know they're trying, and shenanigans always occur. Maybe that's a bit harder with Kingdom Hearts, but I hope you get my point.

You want coverage of a game like Kingdom Hearts? Go to a dedicated site for that shit where you KNOW they'll do it 'properly'. That simple.

You've got a point, but you've went about it in a shit way. The guys maybe do need to figure out things with how they present quick looks. But you want quick looks of big-ass games like this right away? Then you'll have to live with a few fuck-ups. Or expect quick looks to come a bit later than a few days after the game's been out--you know, when no one cares anymore and the guys have another game to cover, because the games industry moves so fast.

It's a problem of KH being shit at presenting an accessible story and being very hard to quick-look well for these guys as much as it is on these guys as much as it is on the process of how they do quick-looks and how the video games industry works.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By august

Stupid bakka gajins with their big hands and rap music.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Superkenon

I say this as a hopeless Kingdom Hearts fan -- the series is completely fucking impenetrable.

I can't blame either of them for getting lost in the sea of madness. The only way anything makes sense is if you've played, like, every game in the series -- which is a ridiculous demand since they're scattered across so many platforms -- and even then, it's so goddamn convoluted unto itself, and yes, way up its own ass.

With that said, I dig all that, personally. I have an odd respect for this series in its willingness to go nuts with its lore over and over. But I also understand how unapproachable it has become. And also how the Disney pieces, while maintaining in obligatory presence, are becoming increasingly irrelevant. Kingdom Hearts 1 had a plot that was carried about largely by Disney villains... nowadays it's more that the places you visit just happen to be Disney worlds. I think they could serve to back up on that, but whatevs.

Brad is clearly trying to like it, and seems to enjoy how it's played to an extent... but it's not pulling him in, because he's not a Kingdom Hearts fan and isn't up on all the wacky details. That's the fault of the series.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NathHaw

@GrantHeaslip: From your avatar, I can tell you're a fan.

I am also disappointed that KH has never been a thing for the GB guys. The ones I've played are great.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CL60
    wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wjb

Hmm, that's weird. A Kingdom Hearts fan is upset about something...

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By casper_

man, did you make an account just to unleash your weeaboo rage?

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Never watch a quick look of a game you like, especially if it's of a genre or series the guys typically don't enjoy. All that'll happen is that you'll get pissed at all the misinformation and want to comment about their dickishness, but then you'll look like an asshat too. Best thing to do is to take a breath and remember that they were never going to like certain games anyways.

Also, be aware that they have a weird selective blindness/deafness/inability to read or put two-and-two together when it comes to certain games, and will flail like helpless children while complaining about the game not giving them enough information or guiding them well enough. They may also quip about excessive hand holding if it dares to teach them something about how to play. They may even go from complaining about one aspect of a game and then go on to praise the same aspect in a totally different game months later. Again, just breathe, don't bother complaining.

The guys are going to mess up while covering games. Sometimes it feels like they mess up more than they get it right! Just remember, if you don't enjoy the way they represent a game, it's (probably) not personal. They missed something blindingly obvious? Mention it in the comments, but don't be an ass about it. They fucked up and then blamed it on the game? Let people know where, how, and how badly they fucked up, but do it without the vitriol.

All that said, someone on the staff still deserves to lose a hand for that Shadow of the Colossus quick look.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I thought it was a fine quick glance.

blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By blindisaac

Go back to reading your KH fan fiction dude. They already stated they are indifferent towards the franchise as a whole because of how dumb the whole thing kind of is with the story that is so up its up its own ass, the characters they dont like., etc.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By benjaebe

@Make_Me_Mad said:

All that said, someone on the staff still deserves to lose a hand for that Shadow of the Colossus quick look.

Since the day Giant Bomb started, that's the only quick look that has ever visibly upset me.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By triviaman09

Who could have predicted this thread, honestly?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By august

@Video_Game_King said:

Yes.

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 20

#41  Edited By Mikey2D

@CL60 said:

Thank you CL60 for making me laugh :)

More and more there seem to be posts with people complaining about giantbomb in some way. If you don't like the site, the people involved in it or the content they create then go find somewhere else for your gaming site needs.

Personally GB ticks all the boxes for me when it comes to all of the above, but obviously you can't please everyone all the time.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By xymox

@Molomar said:

even if he doesn't have interest in the game he still sounds excited about it

... To each his own. I'll take uninformed hands-on "let's figure this shit out together" experience over straight up feigned excitement any time. Well, unless the excitement is sarcastic, because that just makes it even better in those cases when the game actually turns out to be a big surprise and is actually a) not half bad and b) interesting in it's own right. The game needs to be able to carry itself. Jumping in within the first few hours can show what kind of experience you might have with it at that point, like a first look at things. A fast glance, if you will. An accelerated gaze.

I think you get a pretty good feel of it regardless of how poorly it's played to know if that's something you want to get in on or not and/or put time in to figure out. All they do is roll the camera and go, sometimes they've spent time with the game and sometimes they haven't, and they're upfront about it in the videos. Just my 2popcorns.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By avidwriter

Game was bad anyway, it's obvious you are a KH fanboy anyway. Go cry somewhere else cause your jimmies got rustled.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

That first Kingdom Hearts game sure was something wasn't it?

The whole series went downhill when you started fighting thousands of enemies.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By krazy_kyle

If they don't like a game then they can't help how they feel. Also, Totalbiscuit has disliked games in his "WTF is..." series. There is nothing more pathetic than complaining about a Giant Bomb quick look on the Giant Bomb forums, I'm pretty sure anyone with a single brain cell would know they will just get burned and won't get any sympathy. I think I just got a fairly decent dig in at you so now would you kindly, fuck off. :D

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By 49th

I do agree somewhat. They tend to not give a shit in Quick Looks with games they don't give a shit about. Which makes sense. But it would be nice sometimes if they were a bit more impartial towards some things.

RaisingIndiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RaisingIndiana

@GrantHeaslip said:

@nrh79 said:

I am also disappointed that KH has never been a thing for the GB guys. The ones I've played are great.

My Wind Waker avatar?

I was going to say the same thing to him. Hard for me to understand how someone can confuse your avatar with something from KH.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mbr2

Is this a serious thread about a game which contains spikey haired bad-anime kids and disney characters? Is this really happening?

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NathHaw

@RaisingIndiana said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

@nrh79 said:

My Wind Waker avatar?

I was going to say the same thing to him. Hard for me to understand how someone can confuse your avatar with something from KH.

See it now. My mistake was seeing the avatar as Destiny Islands.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.