Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdom Hearts III

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jan 25, 2019

The third sequentially numbered title in the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

Kingdom Hearts 3 officially coming 2018! Toy Story world confirmed.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By RobotHamster

Just announced at D23. Official trailer should be up soon.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By coolarman

I don't care what anyone says. I am a 24 year old man and Kingdom Hearts rules. Also Toy Story rules.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sora, Donald and Goofy look like garbage compared to the Toy Story characters, it's really throwing me off.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A year isn't concrete enough for me to believe it. Persona 5 was given a year and a season, and was still pushed back 3 years. That said, Toy Story is a good fit for Kingdom Hearts. It's a great first pick given that Pixar joined Disney after KH2 came out.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I'm very excited to see that this is still coming out on Xbox. I don't have my PS4 anymore, and I have been really enjoying RPGs a lot, again. Looking forward to this one.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I'll believe it when I see the box in stores. There's no way this is a 2018 release.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd: Well they're made by two completely different companies for a start, and KH3 was announced back at E3 in 2013.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By xanadu

I like to consider myself a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to video games. I have no idea whats going on with this series. What exactly are all the 1.5 2.8 and weird decimal addition releases?

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By coolarman

@xanadu said:

I like to consider myself a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to video games. I have no idea whats going on with this series. What exactly are all the 1.5 2.8 and weird decimal addition releases?

They are hd remasters basically.

edit: with added content that wasn't in the original release.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TOOOYYYY STORYYYYYYYYY

Gundahaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's just me, but this trailer looks way better than the one they showed at E3. It seems like it's starting to resemble an actual game rather than looking like a glorified tech demo.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Cool to see Pixar finally getting into Kingdom Hearts. Hopefully isn't the only one. I'm pulling for Finding Nemo, The Incredibles or Inside Out.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Toy Story is a hot property. Always liked the small character / big world maps in games.

Still hard to get excited for a story that i haven't kept up with after KH1 though. And what i've gathered through osmosis doesn't make it very appealing to go fix that.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lack of Randy Newman is disturbing.

@xanadu said:

I'll let you know when I finally deal with the Doctor Who shit that was introduced in Dream Drop Distance.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
    GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So excited for this and I fully expect it to come out on time, a small delay at most. People act like KH3 has been in development hell for 15 years and being delayed again is a certainty, but that is not the case at all. No work started until Nomura got away from FFXV. Now that was development hell, but there were so many other factors besides Normura in play there that to compare the two is ridiculous. Final Fantasy Versus XIII was the spin off no one cared about until they slapped a XV on it, KH3 is one of their biggest franchises.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: Alright let's do this

As @facelessvixen said the decimal releases are mostly hd collections.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix for ps3 includes:

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix - The original PS2 game. Includes new content added in it's "Final Mix" re-release (several rpgs did similar things before dlc was a thing) which until this collection was only available in Japan

Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories - A PS2 remake of the GBA game Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, which tells the story of how the characters get from where they were at the end of Kingdom Hearts to where they are at the beginning of Kingdom Hearts 2

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days HD Movie - A remaster of the cutscenes from DS game Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days, exclusive to this collection. It tells the side story of a character from Kingdom Hearts 2. It was released after Kingdom Hearts 2, but they wanted a main game, a side game, and a movie in each collection so they put it here to keep them even.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix for ps3 includes:

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix - PS2 sequel, same deal as the Final Mix of the first

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix - PSP prequel following seemingly unrelated protagonists 10 years before the first game where the first seeds for KH3 were planted. Also including the add ons from it's Japan only Final Mix re-release.

Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded HD Movie - A remaster of the cutscenes from the DS game Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded, which itself is a remake of the flip phone game Kingdom Hearts Coded which was only released in Japan. Follows Mickey as he investigates something that is bothering him after the events of KH2.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue for ps4 includes:

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance - 3DS game that finally starts getting back to the main story and fully sets the stage for Kingdom Hearts 3.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep 0.2 ~A Fragmentary Passage~ - Completely new content, using the KH3 engine. More or less a demo, if you know MGS think of it as Ground Zeroes.

Kingdom Hearts Chi Back Cover - Completely new content. Prequel Movie using the KH3 engine telling the story of the lead up to the ancient keyblade war which has been mentioned but never gone into. The smart phone game Kingdom Hearts Chi Unchained, a remake and continuation of the Japan only Browser game Kingdom Hearts Chi, tells this story as well but from a different perspective.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 Remix for ps4 includes

everything from the two aforementioned ps3 collections

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: Well, if you're legit confused about 1.5 ReMIX , 2.5 ReMIX, and 2.8; Like @coolarman said, those are HD remasters of the games.

1.5 contains Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix, Re:Chain of Memories which was the PS2 remake of the original Chain of Memories on GBA, and the cut scenes from 358/2 Days which was originally on the DS.

2.5 has Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, Birth by Sleep Final Mix from the PSP which is the "first" game in the timeline for all intents and purposes*, and the cut scenes from Re:coded from the DS.

And 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue has Dream Drop Distance from the 3DS, χ Back Cover which is some story cinematic thing, and 0.2: Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage, which is essentially an extra episode to Birth bySleep that supposedly shows what's been going on with Aqua since the events of KH1 started.

As for the "Doctor Who shit" I mentioned about Dream Drop Distance... yeah. I really don't know how to present that information, either on this site using spoiler tags or just direct you to a wiki. In any case, it only fosters my love/hate relationship with this series.

*The first game in the timeline is Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ which is a mobile game. No need to get into it for story reasons since it's pretty much you playing as a create-a-Keyblade-user character going on miscellaneous adventures.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RobotHamster

@facelessvixen: Actually, Unchained X has a bit of story in it. From what I remember, it shows how the keyblade war began, more plot on the main characters that began it from the movie, and the introduction of five new characters that haven't been explained yet. One of them being Ventus from BBS, and this took place a very long time before BBS so they mystery now is what he's doing there and how did he end up in the future.

Oh, and there was also the orchestra that had dialog between some of the main characters who never met before in the series. It's exclusive the the orchestra and yes it's canon.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Justin258

@xanadu said:

1.5 is Kingdom Hearts 1, Chain of Memories, and all the cutscenes for 358/2 Days. 2.5 is Kingdom Hearts 2, Birth By Sleep, and all the cutscenes for Re: Coded. Kingdom Hearts 2.8 is Dream Drop Distance, a new game, and some movie-thing. 1.5 and 2.5 were combined into one release for PS4 and 2.8 is still PS4 only.

Basically, you can get all of the important story bits in two releases for PS4. Nobody can really complain about all of the releases being spread out across a bunch of different platforms now.

On-topic: I'll believe that this game is out when I can go to a store and pick it up, though it's cool that Toy Story is a thing in it now!

I'm able to finish Kingdom Hearts 1 in a week, I did it last year, but I can't really seem to get myself to play through the rest of the series. I played through one of the Birth By Sleep routes at some point, but I don't remember much about that game.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I don't care what anyone says. I am a 24 22 year old man and Kingdom Hearts rules. Also Toy Story rules.

Bruh, I feel ya. I have been waiting for like 10 years and I will be happy to finally play it regardless of... well anything.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robothamster: Yeah, but I still can't help being flippant towards the prospect of playing Unchained χ for the story because of how the game is designed like a mobile-ass-mobile game with a stamina meter and the like, when reading a wiki about its place in the timeline or watching a fan's retrospective on YouTube would suffice. Plus, I'm willing to bet that Tet No will give the cliff notes version of Unchained's major bullet points in KH3 since he kinda did the same for Chains in KH2, or at least [minor Chain of Memory spoilers] just enough to get a good idea of Naminé's significance in Chains before KH2's plot dumps about her, at least based on my memory of KH2.

So, I can't help but call a Persona Q on Unchained χ in that just because a game is labeled as canon doesn't mean you have to play it if you have some doubts about it. The way I see it, for those wanting to play through the KH series chronologically, I'd tell 'em to start with Birth by Sleep and follow the timeline from there, while Unchained χ is for the hardcore KH fans.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By MocBucket62

Oh hey, the toy story characters look good in KHIII. I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game, but I've seen friends play it and this always bothered me about these games: Why is it that the worlds are so large yet so empty besides seeing your party members, enemies and a few NPC's? I've never seen any walking civilians react to the combat in these games (Although for Toy Story's case, maybe not worth it since the toys don't want the humans to see them alive). I never understood why the worlds in Kingdom Hearts look so barren. Is it intentional or just a technical issue?

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mocbucket62: They're not always like that, Traverse Town in KH1, Twilight Town, and Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden in KH2 come to mind as being more populous "city" areas.

But, yeah, they're often pretty much dungeons to go through, with small areas in each one as a sort of designated hub where the NPCs are at.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I probably won't get KH3 but I was really hoping they were going to announce a Marvel Comics world for the game or something.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I'm just sad the game is coming out a year too late for Square to send Sora, Goofy, and Donald to Sapienza World.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looked good to me. I'm not the biggest fan of Toy Story, but I thought it fit really well here and looked really great visually too. After they put out the handheld games on the PS3, and now I suppose PS4, it has brought back some enthusiasm to me for three. I loved one and two but fell off of it after two. I went back to two for a couple of hours in 2007, and I just couldn't get into it. It wasn't until 2015 when both remixes were out, but really late last year or early this year where I gained the most interest in KH in a long time. Before it was all about knowing that I was going to get three when it came along, but I knew I'd feel weird since I wasn't that interested in KH anymore and didn't know the story beyond two. I was just really, really fond of my experience with the first and second Kingdom Hearts when I was younger that I knew I'd play three regardless when it came out. It was either earlier this year or late last year (maybe both) where I played through the second again (replayed the first in 2015 I believe). I watched 358/2 Days, and played to the middle of Birth by Sleep, on Roxas' story. I enjoyed both but stopped so I could play them closer to KH3's release, now they're all on the PS4.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game was totally off my radar until they announced it may be coming to Switch after the others. I might actually get to play this! The series isn't out of reach after all! :D

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hearing Woody and Buzz in Japanese really threw me off

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: Oh I agree with you completely, I played maybe 10 minutes of the mobile game. I just watched the main stuff on YouTube then a little of it on a wiki. I don't it's worth playing really unless you do find it for. But it would take dozens and dozens of hours for a few minutes of story. So I just meant that, that there is some story stuff in there if you want the complete thing.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I look forward to playing this when it releases in 2020. That Toy Story stuff looks real nice (aside from the shock of not having Tom Hanks's voice come out of Woody). Really hoping for a Psychonauts-esque Inside Out world.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

The game looks like it's gonna be great, no doubt about that. The only thing putting a damper on my hype is I have absolutely no fucking clue what's going in this series anymore. I played 1 and 2, but that's it. And from what I remember during my time with it, I already felt a little lost playing 2 because I didn't play Chains of Memories. I'll play that collection at some point, but right now my hype meter is at "omg this looks like something I would totally be into if I knew what was happening."

GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: they announced Big Hero 6 a few years ago, that's Marvel.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: Well if you have the time just look it up on YouTube, either all the cutscenes or a recap. That's what I did with the games I didn't play and feel as caught up as I could be.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#35  Edited By sammo21

@genericbrotagonist: BH6 is a Marvel property but it is not in the Marvel Universe...Disney purposefully put it on its own. I want a MARVEL universe level.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: Oh I agree with you completely, I played maybe 10 minutes of the mobile game. I just watched the main stuff on YouTube then a little of it on a wiki. I don't it's worth playing really unless you do find it for. But it would take dozens and dozens of hours for a few minutes of story. So I just meant that, that there is some story stuff in there if you want the complete thing.

I played it for a good two months last year. Despite me shitting on it for story purposes, I thought it was fun little Kingdom Hearts thing to mess around with, similar to Fallout Shelter.

@babychoochoo: Well if you have the time just look it up on YouTube, either all the cutscenes or a recap. That's what I did with the games I didn't play and feel as caught up as I could be.

To narrow things down for Baby, would you also recommend Oni Black Mage's RECAPitation retrospective?

I watched some of his videos a few months ago, including the aforementioned playlist. He seems to know what he's talking about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.