Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdom Hearts

Franchise »

The Kingdom Hearts franchise is a series of games conceived by fusing together popular elements of Final Fantasy story telling and classic Disney characters.

3 New Kingdom Hearts Games in Development, Including KH3

KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 33

#1  Edited By KillerFly
    http://psp.ign.com/articles/107/1079739p1.html

March 24, 2010 - Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep hits the English speaking world this summer. But it's been out in Japan since January, and Japanese players are asking what's next. Series mastermind Tetsuya Nomura has been responding.

In an interview featured in Japan's just-released Birth by Sleep "Ultimania" guide book, summarized at Square Enix fan site FF Renion, Nomura made mention of not one, but three new Kingdom Hearts games.

The first, and clearly foremost, is Kingdom Hearts III. Nomura said that development on this title is dependent on Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Nomura is directing Versus XIII.

As for the other two titles, one will be released this year. The other will be released next year or beyond and will feature multiple main characters, presumably akin to Birth by Sleep's tio of heroes. At least one of these titles has gone into production already.

Nomura also made some comments about the English version of Birth by Sleep. Mostly, he reiterated some of the improvements he's mentioned in the past, including battle balance adjustments, additional Keyblades and enemies, additional songs for the game's rhythm mini game, and changes to event scenes.

But the biggest news is what Nomura said wouldn't happen. Following Kingdom Hearts 2's English release, Square Enix produced a 3D remake of Game Boy Advance's Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, bundled it with the international version of KH2, and released the package to Japan as Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix +. While not ruling out a Birth by Sleep re-release for Japan, Nomura said that there'd be no major production along the lines of the Chain of Memories remake. If you were hoping for a high spec version of DS's 358/2 Days, you can probably stop hoping.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

That is awesome that they are making new games in the series.  I really just want KH3 to come out.  I'm ready for the main story to rap up after all these years of waiting to see what happens after Kingdom Hearts 2.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By CaptainTightPants

Really hope they take out all that stupid Triangle Button pressing, KH 2's combat was atrocious.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By fugie7

i kind of wish they would stop with the spin off of the series, i mean it KH was something special and still is to a certain degree. Im  just worried about them running this game to the ground. But beside that im actually looking foward to what happen next.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Ew. So does this take place between contrived tertiary backstory segment 2 and 3 or 3 and 4? Its super important that I find out what happened to cloaked guy number 6.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yukoei

Yes!  I fucking love Kingdom Hearts!

MadThad0890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MadThad0890

I just want to know whay system KH3 will be on.  i was holding out till last year on which system i was gonna get and KH3 was gonna be my deal breaker. AND STILL NO WORD ON WHERE IT'S GONNA BE AT!!!!  RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

KME93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By KME93

FUCK YES! I am proud to say I am pumped because I love Kingdom Hearts and it's story. I really hope they don't go and eff up the story, but in all seriousness, if there is a day that they announce KH3 is only coming out for the PS3 and nothing else then on it's release date I will be on my way to a local Best Buy and buy a PS3 and the game right then and there. Also I am going to need to find a PSP for Birth By Sleep

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By RobotHamster

Finally, now all we have to wait is another 10 more years.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel
    @ryanwho said:
    " Ew. So does this take place between contrived tertiary backstory segment 2 and 3 or 3 and 4? Its super important that I find out what happened to cloaked guy number 6. "
    The entire Organization is dead by the end of KH2.  Games that take place after it won't involve them.
    JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JokerClown88

When you walk away, you don't hear me say, Pleeeeaaas!  Oh Baaaabyyy.! Dont go!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho
    @Hailinel said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " Ew. So does this take place between contrived tertiary backstory segment 2 and 3 or 3 and 4? Its super important that I find out what happened to cloaked guy number 6. "
    The entire Organization is dead by the end of KH2.  Games that take place after it won't involve them. "
    Don't all the in between games take place before KH 2? The birth of convoluted lore between KH1 and 2 is ever widening. Look I just want to beat dude up with some other dudes from Pixar movies and the time they waste on these gaidens where they add like one new world a game is time they're not spending on a game I care about.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    The entire Organization is dead by the end of KH2.  Games that take place after it won't involve them. "
    Don't all the in between games take place before KH 2? The birth of convoluted lore between KH1 and 2 is ever widening. Look I just want to beat dude up with some other dudes from Pixar movies and the time they waste on these gaidens where they add like one new world a game is time they're not spending on a game I care about. "
    The current timeline is as follows:

Birth By Sleep

*Gap of about 10 years*

KH1
    358/2 Days (Chain of Memories takes place concurrently over the course of a month during 358/2)
    KH2

So no, it's not that complicated.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

So all of them are prequels. Why would you assume these aren't when all of them have been so far?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @ryanwho said:
    " So all of them are prequels. Why would you assume these aren't when all of them have been so far? "
    I didn't say that they wouldn't be.  But though I don't know all of the plot details in BBS, the game is supposed to set up events that will affect future games, including KH3.
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Axersia

IGN neglected to mention how Nomura also stated KH3 won't be the end of the franchise and will simply mark the end of the Xehanort arc. Not entirely sure how I feel about that... KH is my favorite franchise of all time, but I always thought the series would end with the third main installment. I mean, how can KH even be KH without Xehanort, Heartless, Nobodies, and Unversed?

Oh well, I'll be looking forward to the upcoming spin-offs and KH3, but I'm definitely skeptical about the fact that KH could last another 10 years. 

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Andorski
    @ryanwho said:
    My biggest issue from going from KH1 to KH2.  Sure... the adventures of Sora, Riku, and Kairi was fun, but the main appeal of the first game is mashing Disney properties (and a few Final Fantasy elements) with a certain Japanese sensibility (as well as wacking shit with a keyblade).  I started to lose interest when Square decided to expand on the fiction of Sora & company by adding Organization XIII and that emo Roxas.
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By MistaSparkle

Weird. I was just looking for new KH3 info the other day. Thanks :D
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By vaiz
    @Axersia said:

" IGN neglected to mention how Nomura also stated KH3 won't be the end of the franchise and will simply mark the end of the Xehanort arc. Not entirely sure how I feel about that... KH is my favorite franchise of all time, but I always thought the series would end with the third main installment. I mean, how can KH even be KH without Xehanort, Heartless, Nobodies, and Unversed?Oh well, I'll be looking forward to the upcoming spin-offs and KH3, but I'm definitely skeptical about the fact that KH could last another 10 years.  "

This is the company that's spanned thirteen entries in a series plus countless spinoffs over the last twenty years. Don't count anything out.

Granted, most Final Fantasies have nothing to do with eachother, unlike KH, but no one says KH4 whenever it happens needs to have anything to do with the first three.
    Avatar image for raccoonusdoodus
    raccoonusdoodus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By raccoonusdoodus

I fucking love Kingdom Hearts. Can't wait for BBS this year, and this news is awesome!! And can't wait for Versus XIII either. I LOVE YOU NOMURA!!!

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By RobotHamster

Birth by Sleep will be my breaking point for getting a psp, unless they announce a new psp which will play the old psp games, still can't fucking wait for this game!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.