Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdom Hearts

Franchise »

The Kingdom Hearts franchise is a series of games conceived by fusing together popular elements of Final Fantasy story telling and classic Disney characters.

Let's Talk - Why Do You Like/Dislike The Kingdom Hearts Series?

• 59 results
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By xyzygy

Disney, and the art style. I just hate how it looks so kiddish, and all the characters annoy the hell out of me. I stopped playing the first game 10 hours in back when it first came out and I can't even remember most of what I played - my brain purposefully tried to forget. 

I'm excited for Versus XIII because it looks like it has a better combat system and gets rid of the hateful art from Kingdom Hearts.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By GoofyGoober

The games were good, but I was sorta lost with the story, and the card battles in Chain of memories were so bad.

JakeLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By JakeLogan

I'll level with you: 

I've hated them since they announced that Chain of Memories was cannon......AFTER stating that CoM was simply going to be a spin off to tide over fans/build up a war fund for KH2.  Y'know what that says to me?   That you couldn't be bothered making the leap, so you used it as a bridge.

"Gee, making coherent stories is hard and it'd be a shame to throw away all this quality dialogue we wrote" 

By going multi-platform between sequels, meant you showed no loyalty to fan base.  YES, I had a GBA.  YES, it was later released on PS2 as an after-thought.  NO, I am not going to give you munnies any sooner than I would give a dog that pissed on my carpet a cookie and a pet on the head. 

I'm not touching the story with a 10 foot pole - I CAN'T touch the story with a 10 foot pole.  Shit, I had to give myself a refresher before coming over here and posting - and that's just wrong!  Two thirds of the way into KH2, I lost it completely.  I was just going through the motions, hitting things with sticks.  It might as well have been Dynasty Warriors (yeah, I just went there). I remember the end where we all said "Hey look, message in a bottle!" and fade to black.  I don't remember anything leading up to that point. 

It's been over 5 years since KH2, which means either turning Sora & Co into adults in their early 20's.  OR finding new voice actors for familiar faces which is going to be plain old awkward.  OR abandoning them all together and starting fresh with new characters while making vague and distance references to previous installments.  Long story short, you waited too long. 

I can't muster up enough of a fuck to give over these games any more.  I simply DON'T CARE.

And that may be the most liberating thing I've said to date.  I don't give a damn about Sora and his crew.  I used to.  I wanted to believe.  But I've moved on.  We can't go back to the way things were. 

Goodbye Kingdom Hearts.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#54  Edited By ReyGitano

I like Kingdom Hearts because, even though I haven't played it yet, the first game's theme song and all those cutscenes make for great music videos on youtube.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#55  Edited By TepidShark

Why I like the games

I am amazed at Disney for allowing a multi part continuing story (it is not something that you usually see from Disney) & that Disney allowed Birth by Sleep to be a downer storyline (yeah it will be fixed in future installments but if you take it as is, it is a downer storyline). In short the series is does ambitious things story wise for Disney.

Gameplay wise you have to give Kingdom Hearts credit for trying to make a faster paced RPG that isn't very slow & boring like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Also, by the time you reach the end of those games you feel like a complete badass because you have so many ways of dealing death to your enemies. Also like how they can being different twist to the battle system like the cards in Chain of Memories or commands in Birth by Sleep.

Issues I have had

Despite being a fan of the series, if I had to ever review any of the games, the max I would ever give it is a 4 out of 5. No matter how good I thought any of those games being, I could never give it a perfect score because giving it that would be me saying, "everybody should play this game" & simply by the nature of it being a Disney game &/or Square Enix game I could never see it being right for everyone.

Also, not been a fan of the 2 DS games. Birth by Sleep on the PSP was the best the series has had so far, but 358/2 Days limited your arsenal too much for my taste & felt artificially lengthened too much. Re:Coded was the worst game in the series the game was a 2ND RE-HASH OF Kingdom Hearts 1 & its attempts being mysterious with its storyline failed horribly. Plus, gameplay wise didn't really all the different kinds of gameplay in there (2D Side Scroller, Forced Shooter, Turn-Based RPG), it just tried to do too much.

The Future

That said I am looking forward to the 3DS game. it looks like they are going in a cool direction. Though there are some things that look weird about it. Like this pet system. But overall excited for it. Also, hoping to see some past games get re-released in HD.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#56  Edited By ReyGitano

Another reason I like the franchise, it gives me a chance to ask my friend very confusing questions that sometimes he's not even sure what the answer is.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#57  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Stupid story that includes wimpy kids.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#58  Edited By TepidShark

@KaosAngel said:

@RockmanBionics said:
    " Apparently, according to BBS, the ability to wield a Keyblade has to be given to you. Terra, one of the Keyblade users from BSS, gave Riku the ability when he was a kid. The reason Sora can use it is probably because he has Ventus heart inside him (which is also apparently why Roxas looks like Ventus).

This is totally a case of retconning so don't be surprised that it's completely different from the idea of how the Keyblade worked in KH1.

Alternatively, Riku can wield it 'cause Terra let him hold his thing, and Sora can use it 'cause he has a part of Ventus inside him.
    "
    ....I hope to fucking god Nomura read a few books between making KH2 and Versus XIII. This shit is ridiculous. How do the KH fans keep up with this? How do the side stories even affect the plot?

Mostly the side stories just fill in gaps in the storyline. BBS, 1, & 2 are the essential ones to play. CoM is really good too, if interested. 358/2 Days is alright, but not amazing & Re:Coded is a piece of shit & pointless.

Though be fair. Kingdom Hearts isn't the only series with a complicated storyline. Metal Gear &/or Resident Evil anyone?

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've wondered this myself for a long time. B/c I truly love these games, but I can't stand anime besides MGS, but I just simply enjoy it. I think the gameplay is simple but fun and constantly rewards you, you can over level a ton which I wish more games would let you do, the graphical style really makes it look timeless, and I and can't help but turn to mush from it's cheesy sentimental elements.

I honestly don't know what it is, but since I played KH1 when it came out when I was 10 it just hit all the right spots. I never really watched Disney movies as a kid and never played Final Fantasy at the time so this was a great intro to those things for me, and I didn't have any protective instincts for these properties. For example my first time seeing Cloud was in KH so I always assumed he was emo and sort of lame, but after playing FF7 I realized they changed his character, so if I played FF7 first I probably would have been annoyed by the changes.

KH is my ultimate guilty pleasure, I have no idea why I love it, and I'm not sure I could argue why in a compelling way, but it simply makes me happy, and that's all the explanation I need to give.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.