Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdom Hearts

Franchise »

The Kingdom Hearts franchise is a series of games conceived by fusing together popular elements of Final Fantasy story telling and classic Disney characters.

The Keyblade Chronicles: Final Mix

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Edited By danielkempster

...well, that planned return to the blogosphere went swimmingly, didn't it?

Hey there folks. I know I said that I'd be returning to regular blogging in earnest from last month, and that was initially my intention, but I ended up getting diverted from that plan for a couple of reasons. One of them was family related, and while I can't go into any great detail on that front, I can at least say that everyone is okay and things have calmed down a little. The other reason for my silence is that I've been cooking up a very special something for all of you...

If you read my previous blog - and given the resounding indifference it was met with, I'm guessing that very few (if any) of you fall into that category - you may recall that one of my intentions was to dip my toes back into the serial blogging format that I came to be known for following such lengthy endeavours as Enduring Final Fantasy VII and A Month in Skyrim. For the last couple of months I've been toying with potential concepts for a new series. I had a few half-developed ideas, but nothing I felt like I could really commit to in a way that would entertain an audience.

Then, last month, everything fell into place.

The spark struck as I was watching one of the multiple trailers for Kingdom Hearts III released during E3. I have a complicated relationship with Tetsuya Nomura's Disney-fied action RPG franchise, one that I've previously documented in blog form here. The bottom line is, it's a series that I still have a lot of reverence for, and would like to further my experience with. To that end, I've picked up copies of both Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 & II.5 ReMIX and Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue on PlayStation 4, with the intention of playing through the whole series in the run-up to the release of Kingdom Hearts III. I figured I was going to have plenty of time to work my way through the whole saga, but while watching the aforementioned trailer, I was hit by something very unexpected - a concrete release date.

That's right folks - Kingdom Hearts III is scheduled for release on January 29th 2019. That gives me just under seven months to get to grips with the whole franchise in preparation for the end of Sora's epic adventure. So, I thought, why not document the whole journey in blog form for folks on the internet to read about? Ladies and gentlemen of Giant Bomb, I give you:

Since there's going to be more content now than there would have been if I'd done this back in 2015, let's just slap a Final Mix subtitle on this series for good measure, shall we?
    Since there's going to be more content now than there would have been if I'd done this back in 2015, let's just slap a Final Mix subtitle on this series for good measure, shall we?

The Keyblade Chronicles is a project that I originally conceived back in 2015, but ended up postponing after burning out attempting three back-to-back playthroughs of the original Kingdom Hearts that year. Now that I've had some distance from it I feel ready to jump back in and experience the entire series. While three years may have passed, and the prospective journey has become a little longer, my intention remains the same - to play (almost) every game in the Kingdom Hearts franchise in release order, within the six-and-a-half months standing between the present day and the proposed release date of Kingdom Hearts III. Every week, most likely on a Monday, given the way my work and social schedules are aligned, I'll post a blog summarising my thoughts and feelings on various aspects of the games and the series as a whole up to that point. I'll be diving deep on gameplay, mechanics, characters, worlds, music and story in a way that's likely to be comparable to my previous blognum opus, Enduring Final Fantasy VII.

The order of play will be as follows:

1. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix

No Caption Provided

The game that started it all, and the one that I have fondest enduring memories of. Kingdom Hearts follows Sora, an unassuming boy from a backwater island, who is thrust into an epic battle between Light and Darkness. Wielding the mysterious Keyblade, Sora journeys to many worlds in search of his lost friends Riku and Kairi, accompanied by Donald and Goofy as they seek their missing King. Unsurprisingly, the first game in the series establishes many of the franchise's mainstay features including real-time action combat, world-hopping exploration, and an overarching story centred on themes of friendship and strength of heart. While I'm most familiar with the original PlayStation 2 release, for the purpose of this series I'll be playing the Final Mix version included as part of HD I.5 & II.5 ReMIX on the PS4.

Episode List:

1. Parts 01-05 (Intro to Destiny Islands)
    2. Parts 06-09 (Traverse Town to Olympus Coliseum)
    3. Parts 10-13 (Deep Jungle to Phil Cup)
    4. Parts 14-17 (Agrabah to Monstro)
    5. Parts 18-?? (Coming soon...)

2. Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories

No Caption Provided

Considered by many to be a spin-off game at the time of its release, Chain of Memories is very much a full-fledged Kingdom Hearts adventure that serves to bridge the story between the original game and its numbered sequel. Utilising a card-based combat system unique to this instalment, Chain of Memories follows Sora as he ventures deep into Castle Oblivion and confronts the mysterious Organization XIII for the first time. Originally released for the Game Boy Advance in 2004, the game was remade entirely in the Kingdom Hearts II engine and released on the PS2 with the new 'Re:Chain of Memories' subtitle in 2008. Unfortunately that release was exclusive to Japan and America, meaning this 3D remake didn't come to Europe until 2013, when it was jazzed up to high definition and included in the HD I.5 ReMIX collection. While I own the GBA original, I'll be playing Re:Chain of Memories as part of HD I.5 & II.5 ReMIX on PS4 for this feature.

3. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix

No Caption Provided

This is where things are going to start getting interesting. Originally released for the PlayStation 2 in 2006, Kingdom Hearts II documents Sora's continued battle against the Heartless and Organization XIII. I've played through Kingdom Hearts II a grand total of once, largely due to never being able to bring myself to slog through that intro sequence again. Consequently, my memories of it aren't as vivid as those I have of the first game. I do recall this game feeling a lot more fluid and fun to play thanks to a myriad of refinements and new mechanics, but I also recall the story being kind of a jumbled mess - probably not helped by the fact I didn't play Chain of Memories before leaping in. The Keyblade Chronicles will mark my first full playthrough of the Final Mix version of the game, included within HD I.5 & II.5 ReMIX on the PS4, and I'm looking forward to experiencing all the extra content added to this definitive version.

4. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

No Caption Provided

Released in 2009 for the Nintendo DS, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (pronounced "three-five-eight-days-over-two") is the fourth game in the series, the third to release on a different platform, and the first to bear one of those unwieldy subtitles that the series has become so well known for. Another interquel, 358/2 Days begins near the end of the original Kingdom Hearts and runs right up to the start of Kingdom Hearts II. It explores the full backstory of Roxas, the protagonist of KHII's much-maligned Prologue chapter, and sheds a bit more light on the motives and machinations of Organization XIII. This is the first of many games on this list that I've never played before, and so represents the start of my incredibly deep planned descent into the full Kingdom Hearts canon. Since the HD I.5 & II.5 ReMIX collection on PS4 only represents 358/2 Days as a cut-scene movie, I'll be dusting off my old DS to experience this one in a playable format.

5. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix

No Caption Provided

Perhaps the game I'm most looking forward to playing as part of this endeavour. Birth by Sleep is another misrepresented "spin-off" title that actually serves to further flesh out the franchise's extended universe. Released in 2010 on the PlayStation Portable (taking the series to five different games across four different platforms), Birth by Sleep is set ten years before the events of the original Kingdom Hearts and follows the exploits of three young Keyblade masters named Ventus, Terra and Aqua as they set the wheels in motion for the events of the entire franchise. Held in the same high esteem as the two main console instalments by many of the series' most devoted fans, this feels like the piece of the puzzle that I most regret missing on its original release. Thankfully the HD I.5 & II.5 ReMIX collection on PS4 gives me a chance to experience it in glorious high definition on my first go round, not to mention including a bunch of Final Mix content previously unreleased for a Western audience.

6. Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded

No Caption Provided

Originally released as a Japan-only mobile phone game in 2008 under the name Kingdom Hearts: Coded, this black sheep of the Kingdom Hearts franchise was remade from the ground up for the Nintendo DS and released as Re:Coded in 2011. My knowledge of this game is sketchy at best, but I believe it's set shortly after the events of Kingdom Hearts II and features a digital version of Sora trying to recover fragments of Jiminy's lost journals. Not the most highly-revered entry in the series by any means, even many purists would argue that the cut-scene movie included with the HD I.5 & II.5 ReMIX collection on PS4 provides you with everything you need to know without subjecting you to the frustration of actually playing it. To those people, I say they're missing the point of this feature - much like 358/2 Days, I'll be playing the DS release of this one in order to report back on the full experience.

7. Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD

No Caption Provided

Here is where my journey would have ended had I pursued it all the way to completion back in 2015. Originally released for the Nintendo 3DS in 2012, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance is comparable to Chain of Memories - an interquel released on a handheld with the intention of bridging the gap between two main-line console entries (in this case, Kingdom Hearts II and Kingdom Hearts III). I've done my best to avoid spoilers while researching for this series, but I gather that Dream Drop Distance focuses on both Sora and Riku as they prepare for some kind of Keyblade mastery exam, and features a much-praised FlowMotion traversal system that makes exploration and combat even more fast-paced and exciting. Since originally conceiving the Keyblade Chronicles, Dream Drop Distance has seen an HD release (dropping the '3D' from its moniker in the process) as part of the HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue collection on PS4, and it's that version I'll be playing for this feature.

8. Kingdom Hearts Χ Back Cover

No Caption Provided

The release of HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue also brings two whole new pieces of Kingdom Hearts content to consume in preparation for Kingdom Hearts III, the first being Χ Back Cover. Based on events from the mobile game Kingdom Hearts: Unchained Key, or Union Cross, or KHUX, whatever they're calling it at the moment, Χ Back Cover is a cut-scene movie that serves to fill in more gaps in the overarching Kingdom Hearts lore by backpedalling over a hundred years into the past. Persistent mobile games really aren't my thing, so while I have zero intention of playing KHUX, for this feature I'm hoping that this movie will tell me all I need to know in preparation for the final chapter in Sora's story.

9. Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep - A Fragmentary Passage

No Caption Provided

The final piece of HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue's confusingly-named puzzle is the even more confusingly named Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep - A Fragmentary Passage. As the name seems to suggest, I believe this is a bite-sized chunk of Kingdom Hearts content that serves two purposes. First, to wrap up some perceived loose ends in the story of the original release of Birth by Sleep in preparation for Kingdom Hearts III. And second, to give all of us eager beavers a taste of the gameplay we can expect from Kingdom Hearts III when it releases. I guess I'll find out exactly what it is when I eventually get around to playing it.

And finally...

10. Kingdom Hearts III

No Caption Provided

The game that all of this is leading up to. The game that should (and hopefully will) bring Sora's lengthy journey to its intended conclusion. Given this entire endeavour is born from the intention of being ready to play Kingdom Hearts III when it finally releases, it would be remiss of me not to include it here. I'll be playing the PlayStation 4 version of Kingdom Hearts III when it comes out, and you can be sure that I'll be documenting every single facet of my playthrough to provide the Keyblade Chronicles with the dénouement it will no doubt deserve. Recent trailers suggest Sora, Donald and Goofy will be exploring new worlds based on Tangled, Frozen, Toy Story and Monsters Inc., as well as returning to established franchise mainstays including Olympus Coliseum, Port Royal, and Twilight Town. This is what it's all leading up to, and I am pretty darn excited about it. Whether I'll still be excited on January 29th remains to be seen...

---

And thus, the Keyblade Chronicles is born anew. It's going to be a really interesting and exciting journey, in some cases revisiting games that I haven't played for a long time, and in many cases experiencing titles that I've never played before, all in service of being ready for a thing that I'm not even sure is for me any more. I hope you'll bundle into my Gummi ship and come along for the ride - I promise I'll do my utmost to make it as entertaining as possible. You can expect the first entry, covering the first sections of the original Kingdom Hearts, to arrive a week on Monday, on the 23rd July. Until then, thanks very much for reading. Take care folks, and I'll see you around.

Daniel

---

Currently playing - Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (PS4)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Hey, you and I know at this point that consistent amateur blogging on the internet is difficult. Things get in the way, the games you're playing don't lend themselves to interesting write-ups, sometimes you burn out. I felt pretty good about getting something out a little over two months after my last blog and you shouldn't feel bad about letting more important things take priority.

As someone who briefly considered some sort of multi-game Kingdom Hearts playthrough in anticipation of the third game, I'm fully in favor of this and I think this is a baaaaad idea. While I am more than willing to espouse my fondness for the dumbest crossover in video games, that's still a lot of Kingdom Hearts to get through in a relatively brief amount of time, and I'm to understand some of that Kingdom Hearts is not very good. I'm not saying you're not capable of it, but I am saying you're going to go crazy around the time you start wading through those portable games.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

About a year ago I halfheartedly tried to do something like this. I only played the first one and I wanted to die. Then, unexpectedly, an influx of people smack talked me, months later, when Ben tried to do the same thing on video.

What I'm trying to say is, this is not a light commitment to make, not that I think you can't do it. Some people just have more tolerance to this brand of nonsense. I am not one of them.

That said I am probably going to a KH concert in the next few days cause that music is legit yo

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

I have been going through this journey myself, although I'm in a bit of a pattern that goes:

-Finish one KH game

-Start on the next one right away

-Find myself stopping after about two hours

-Take a couple months before coming back to it

So far I've finished 1, Chain of Memories, and the prologue of 2. This time I got pulled away by the siren song of Europa Universalis IV (again). Probably going to have to pick up the pace a bit if I want to be done in time for 3.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I am also going through this journey, although I won't be the one playing. I've only beaten 1 and 2 back when they released, but I'm actually in the middle of going through all of this for stream, with my friend playing through them all for the first time. But best of luck to you, I'm kinda curious how some of this lives up to old thoughts/expectations. We are pretty deep into KH1 and while some things certainly are just as good as memory served me, there are a few instances of some sore spots. Some really, really short levels, especially early. And some really 2002 game design too that I somewhat forgot about.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for your... concerns? I guess that's the best word to choose in this instance. I'm aware that this life choice (believe me, it feels like Kingdom Hearts is a life choice at this point) is bordering on insanity. One thing I didn't mention, and which may help alleviate the pressure a little, is that the self-imposed time limit is flexible. Much like my Metal Gear May Madness endeavour from a few years back, if I don't complete the entire franchise before the release of Kingdom Hearts III, then the Keyblade Chronicles will continue with a Tetsuya Nomura-inspired "when it's done, it's done" ethos. There's also a little part of me that remains sceptical of that January release date, and I wouldn't be wholly surprised if Kingdom Hearts III gets pushed back a little further into 2019 (buying me a little more time to complete this crazy journey in the process).

@arbitrarywater I hear you on the blogging front duder. The main issue for me this year (and one that I detailed in my previous blog) was one of trying to make a transition from written-form content to video content. My inFamous 2 livestream for the Community Endurance Run back in April gave me a taste for video creation and I spent a fair bit of the time between then and now playing with that. Ultimately though, I have to concede that I'm just not a video personality - I'm far better off scripting something long-form like this and letting my words speak for themselves, even if that means sacrificing audience numbers in the process. As I believe someone once said, "you gotta do you", and this is me - crazy serial blogging endeavours that get the wider community questioning my sanity.

@jeremyf I agree with you completely about Kingdom Hearts' unique brand of nonsense not being for everyone. At this stage, given my less-than-stellar recollection of the story in Kingdom Hearts II, I'm not even sure that it's for me. I will say that based on a pair of back-to-back playthroughs of the first game in 2015, I found that particular game to hold up pretty well as its own thing, in a charmingly nonsensical way. That being said, I can also completely understand why someone wouldn't enjoy it and swear off the entire series as a result. We can at least agree on the music, though - Yoko Shimamura is up there with Nobuo Uematsu and Harry Gregson-Williams in the ranks of video game composers whose original scores came to define my childhood and adolescence. Enjoy the concert if you do decide to go!

@nophilip Burnout is my main concern with this, especially given what happened the first time I attempted this in 2015. However, I think that was primarily down to attempting to play the original Kingdom Hearts three times over in a four-month period. There's also the fact that beyond Kingdom Hearts II, all entries in this franchise are going to be completely new to me, so I'm hoping that novelty will be enough to keep me going even if the gameplay similarities start to wear me down. Good luck with your own attempt to see the series through!

@devise22 Out of interest, which version of Kingdom Hearts are you and your friend playing for your stream? I played the Final Mix version included with HD I.5 ReMIX on PS3 back in 2015, and I found it to have a lot of quality-of-life improvements that would make the 2002 original almost impossible for me to go back to now - camera control mapped to the right stick instead of the shoulder buttons and the implementation of KHII-style Reaction Commands really contribute to the improved "game-feel" of the HD version. I do agree with you about some aspects of the design feeling "very 2002" though, particularly the first visit to Traverse Town and all the dull fetch-questing through Destiny Islands and Wonderland. It definitely gets better the more it opens up, though, with Hollow Bastion being my personal high point.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
    GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm currently doing the same, finishing up 2 right now. It'll be interesting seeing someone's first time through the whole thing, so I'll be staying tuned.

Even if you don't end up unlocking them, I'd recommend watching the secret endings (and/or their final mix versions where applicable) on YouTube. Back in the day many hours were poured into analyzing them, and it's cool now to see them and then pretty immediately see where they lead. Also the Re:Coded HD cutscene collection added a couple scenes that tie into 3, so you may want to take a look at those as well.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danielkempster: He bought the big thing on PS4 for over $100 that comes with everything. I believe the edition of KH 1 in that is the 1.5 Final Mix, but it literally comes with everything you listed here, + KH3 when it releases. We plan on doing all of it, KH3 included, but I was kinda surprised to see some of the stuff that is included with that thing isn't even gameplay just like longer videos/cutscenes bridging stuff together. Was a bit confusing at first glance with all the subtitles and names, but honestly how anime this series is part of the draw for me. Since I only played KH 1 and 2 myself at launch (I played about 2 hours of Birth by Sleep as well) story wise all I know is what happens in the first two games. So i'm hoping all this filler stuff answers some questions/sets everything up for KH 3.

Design stuff though absolutely seen some improvements in it over the original. The better camera control is much better, even if it's not perfect it is way more manageable than the triggers. I also forgot how in depth the AP system was, and how much of that plays into the depth of the combat system. As a first timer my friend feels like a lot of that stuff feels more modern than when it came out in, which I tend to agree with. In fact part of my allure to these games was that they just had tons of quality bosses, and were way more "Souls like" than I gave them credit for. Obviously Souls hadn't existed when it released, but just in the sense that it's less about fighting grinding enemies and more about elaborate boss fights all with tons of unique animations, different phases, etc. And going in and changing your abilities based on specific bosses/needs and what have you. Seeing a lot of that still hold up and someone for the first time encountering some of the bosses and finding them good/properly challenging I think sells the stronger aspects.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know if someone else mentioned it but you need to play 358/2 days BEFORE kingdom hearts 2 for sure or else lots of things will be confusing. It's even listed in that order on the first collection. Each collection is 2 games and a movie and 358/2 days is the first collection's movie.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Don't know if someone else mentioned it but you need to play 358/2 days BEFORE kingdom hearts 2 for sure or else lots of things will be confusing. It's even listed in that order on the first collection. Each collection is 2 games and a movie and 358/2 days is the first collection's movie.

But Kingdom Hearts 2 came out first...

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
    GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: Hard disagree. A huge part of the story of KH2 is the mystery of who Roxas, the nobodies, and Org XIII are. 358/2 Days would spoil all of that. Yes it's before KH2 in the collection, but only because they wanted an equal 1 main game 1 "side" game and 1 movie per collection on ps3. They just never bothered fixing the order on ps4 even though it's now all on one disc.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@genericbrotagonist: @TechnoSyndrome:

Wow I had no clue 358/2 days came out after KH2. LIterally just assumed the games were in release order on the collections.

While I do think playing 358 before KH2 was very cool for me and it works in smoothly, I can't argue with going through a series in release order at all. It's always the way I recommend things.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: So you find it works to play through in that order? I had just assumed that the two collections listed everything in order of how they want you to play it. Can anyone confirm here that it does in fact then list them in order of events of KH, but not the order of games/stuff being released?

That is really the only other thing confusing me is I don't know what we should play after beating KH1 haha. Or orders in general.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@devise22: It's not listed in release or chronological order, Birth by Sleep is actually a prequel to the entire series. The only games that are out of order are 358/2 and KH2, which should be flipped. Everything else is in release order.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the above comments are a perfect example of why I both revere and abhor this series. I cannot wait to dive deep.

To reiterate what others have said for the sake of answering questions, yes, I'm playing KH2 before 358/2 Days because that's the order the games were released in. I think there are arguments for playing the games in either order, but ultimately I think I'd personally prefer to preserve some of Organization XIII's mystery in KH2, even if it does mean waiting a little longer to flesh out the full story around Roxas. Plus that way I'll be experiencing KH2 the same way I did when I played it all the way back in 2006.

For anyone who's interested, I've made it to the end of Deep Jungle in KH1, and boy, do I already have a LOT to say about this game...

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devise22: Playing the games in the collection order felt 100% fitting and natural. Like I said, I had no idea 358 was released after KH2. Playing them in collection order just made so much sense. The games are placed very well.

@danielkempster:The Tarzan world in KH1 is the single worst thing to play in the entire KH franchise. When you get past that, it's uphill from there.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#17 Mento  Moderator

Bon chance with this feature, my friend. Kingdom Hearts is a hell of a thing to unpack, but I think if anyone can do it it's the creator of Enduring Final Fantasy VII (and I hesitate to think how well ZombiePie would receive this series).

I've been tempted recently to grab the second PS4 Remix compilation and catch up on all the apparently-canon spin-offs in preparation for KH3, but then I realized I have a dozen other JRPGs I'd rather be playing. Maybe I can vicariously experience 358/2 Days, Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance through your accounts instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.