Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Anyone playing since it's free for PS+

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So since this was the free game last week I gave it a download as I always wanted to play this but just never had a chance to. I had played through the demo and thought the demo needed some work, but I realized it was just a demo and wasn't the final product. I have to say, I was impressed how much I was pulled into this game once I started playing it and ended up putting a good amount of time into it this weekend.

Just wondering if anyone else is getting into this now since it was free for PS+ memebers.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I was going to the other day, but then it said I needed 17 gb (or was it 12?) free to download it, and I just didn't feel like going through my games/saves and deleting that much.

but I probably will some day, I gamefly'd it when it was new and it just didn't grab me. But now that its free i'm totally willing to give it another shot.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have it downloaded and waiting, but I have several games to get through first (damn you Hitman!).

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah I started it a couple of days ago, its really great, cool combat. Story is nice too.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I played for a few hours, but then Tom Clancy died and I bought Blacklist, so that's been taking up my time.

I'll go back to it once I'm done with Blacklist.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By l4wd0g

I bought it for the 360 when it first came out. It's a great 13 hour game. Around 25 it gets a little worse. Seriously too many side quests...

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I thought about it, but then I watched the quick look and thought to myself, "well, if they ever make an HD remaster of FFXII, I'll just play that..."

I've been trying to beat Final Fantasy Tactics for almost two years now (granted I haven't touched the game in at least seven months) and my team is so overpowered that I bet I could kill it over a weekend if I wanted to. RPGs just feel like such time sinks anymore, I can only play XCOM or Civ IV every few months just because they turn into 10 hour marathons full of beer, weed and self-delusion.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@l4wd0g said:

I bought it for the 360 when it first came out. It's a great 13 hour game. Around 25 it gets a little worse. Seriously too many side quests...

Can you really finish that fast? My final playtime was 62 hours, and I left like 50 active side quests unfinished.

I liked it quite a bit, but I do agree they throw way too many side quests at you, the worst part being that some of them are actually pretty good (while most are meaningless busy work) but there is really no way tell which ones are the good ones.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yup, playing for free! Got past the demo section, but then put aside for more GTA V randomness. It's not bad, if a little generic feeling.

Can one not jump in the realm of Amalur?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

For me, Amalur was a game that got progressively worse the more I played it and I would strongly suggest avoiding pretty much every side quest you come across. Not only are they boring and generic and bad, but you'll reach a point around the 25 hour mark where you'll become super overleveled and as a result you can get through literally every combat encounter by closing your eyes and mashing the X (or Square) button.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JayEH

I'll give it a go but when I played the demo I kept having the feeling that this game was from like 2004. Just the way the interface looks makes it feel old.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did notice after the hours I put into it over the weekend it does have it's own little quirks. I went back and read Jeff's review and after seeing some of the posts here, I think I am definitely going to slow down on doing side quests. I have been doing quite a bit and I've noticed I am leveling fairly quickly.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I tried it out for about 2 hours or so a while back and all I kept saying to myself was, " I wish I could play Dragon Age instead..."

Yes, I'm a terrible person.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I have it installed but am staying away until I can proper devote time to it.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First 45 minutes have been pretty good. That's as far as I've gotten.

And nice reference Flappy.

Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I played it on pc a while ago and finished it. The game is good but its too wide open... feels like an empty mmo sometimes. There are a too many boring sidequests, like hundreds. If you like doing all the available quests, you might get sick of the game before it's over. If you mainly focus on the main questline, you will have a good time.

Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Something about this game just doesn't click for me. It reminds me a lot of Fable, which so if you like that, then give this a try?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I got a game started but admittedly haven't played much. It seems fun and I do enjoy the combat. But my god I haven't really payed attention to a single thing a person has said. The conversations just seem kind of dry and dull. Again, I'm very early and it may pick up but so far I'm gonna stay for the combat and open world rather than the story.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Tom_omb

I played the demo when it first came out and was intrigued enough to keep it on my mind since then, often thinking I might buy it one day. So I was happy when it was available on PS+. I've put a few hours in, but haven't touched it in a couple days. I might get back to it.

Everyone here seems to dislike the abundance of the side quests. I'm still early on, but the side quests feel more essential then the main story once you get to the first town. There's an event that occurs that seems pretty important and I quickly forgot about my main objective, I assumed the critical path. Another side quest opened up a locked portion of the map, seemed to unlock a faction, and more questing opportunities. They don't feel so disposable so far. At the very least they might be super distracting and hard for me to avoid as a player who likes to explore and discover things off the beaten path.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I played through it on 360 when it first came out. And, since there isn't a ton coming out between now and the next consoles, I have started playing through it again on PS3. I was unable to finish one of the quest lines on 360, due to a bug/glitch. The game would freeze every time I tried going into the building I needed to go in, so I can see the end of that quest line, finally(I think it was the Travelers). I never played the DLC, so I may get them eventually too.

michaelferrari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aviar: I beat it when it came out on PC, but I have been wanting to play it again for about a month or so. Figured I'd get some trophies in the process. I was laughing when I saw it on PS+ because I almost bought it the day before. So far I am about 30 hours in, and liking it way more than I did at the time. Something about it is just fun, despite being kind of simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best way to describe this game is that it has "that magic" that makes a videogame fun.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i've tried getting into this game a few times. the missions in the initial area (after the mines or whatever?) always made me feel like i was playing a single player world of warcraft. it just wasn't very fun. i was really impatient with the dialogue and i have heard that this game shines in it's lore, so maybe i just wasn't giving it a fair chance. i will probably give it another shot eventually, though. i think it is really great graphically.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tom_omb said:

I played the demo when it first came out and was intrigued enough to keep it on my mind since then, often thinking I might buy it one day. So I was happy when it was available on PS+. I've put a few hours in, but haven't touched it in a couple days. I might get back to it.

Everyone here seems to dislike the abundance of the side quests. I'm still early on, but the side quests feel more essential then the main story once you get to the first town. There's an event that occurs that seems pretty important and I quickly forgot about my main objective, I assumed the critical path. Another side quest opened up a locked portion of the map, seemed to unlock a faction, and more questing opportunities. They don't feel so disposable so far. At the very least they might be super distracting and hard for me to avoid as a player who likes to explore and discover things off the beaten path.

Oh, definitely do the faction questlines, those are more than simple side quests. There are, however, far too many pointless busy work sidequests that have no gameplay or fictional value.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started playing it again on the 360 a week or two ago. Just going through on my old save and finishing up the factions and any side content I feel like doing. I plan on wrapping it up this weekend.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jayjonesjunior

Played a bit on PC and i liked it a lot, now i'm starting again on the PS3, even though playing it makes me sad, i keep thinking about 38 studios and all the dreams and possibilities, all lost and forgotten.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it when it came out. There's a reason that team doesn't exist anymore.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

Played it when it came out. There's a reason that team doesn't exist anymore.

Because they had a boss that poorly managed their company? That's...ya know, that's the reason.

As for the OP, I just recently started playing another save file on my PC. I still have fun on that thing, and I still prefer it over Skyrim.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed it I thought most of the faction quests and the main story were pretty good. One thing I hated though was the useless allies they would give you, I never understood what their point was, I guess it was ridiculously easy enough though.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: That and the shitty game they made. In case my obvious point wasn't clear.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have it downloaded but I "purchased" it from PS+. I'll probably play it next year as I still have a big backlog and GTA V is taking my life away. I'm also focused on finishing as many 2013 games as possible so I can make a good GOTY list for myself. But from what I played of the demo for KOA, I really enjoyed. I played it for the full hour so I'm excited to eventually dig into the full game.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Yep, playing it with a pure strength build since the other two primary specs are way too easy; reasonably challenging so far though as I recall you start to overlevel stuff. Still really solid combat and a nice world to explore.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought it from Gamefly for 4$. It's not bad, but not great.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It is not a bad game.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I downloaded it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet because Pokemon.

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive been pretty addicted once i got into it. first time was a might build when it first came out now im trying the mage. as far as side quests go just take the ones that sound intresting to you. some great content in some of those, and choices you can make. way better than the ones in like wow and FF reborn. starting to slow down a bit once i got over the initial revere of the game tho. great graphics even now though, and i love how every char in the game is voice acted, thats pretty damn rare in a game this size. im going through the DLC content now.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Amalur was a fun game but it was "too large". They needed to cut out a bunch of grindy, inconsequential quests and resize the scenes and games down to a 20-30 hour game.

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lusence

it is a veeeery large game. ive done most side quests and faction quest plus just finishing up on dead kel, im at 64hrs so far, ive been taking my time though, i like to listen to all the voice acting, even if its repetitive there is still good varity in there, surprised how much voice acting must of went into this game. i still have a few areas to explore on the main island and havent even made it to the last area yet...plus still need to go through the teeth DLC.

Fushichou187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the demo back when it first came out but didn't think I would pick it up; too many other things to play at the time. Now it's been added to my backlog thanks to PS+ and I'll likely fire it up in December since the next RPG I've got on deck to play is Xillia. Friends of mine whose opinions I trust really enjoyed their playthroughs of KoA so I'm sure there'll be stuff that I like in it.

PS+ is a fucking beast with all the games it kicks down. It's going to be nuts when Tuesdays roll around and I'm getting freebies for my PS3 AND PS4.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Paid full price and finished it on PC when it came out and enjoyed it, I've been waiting for it's DLC to go on sale, it's never happened.

Just follow the main and faction quests and you'll have a much better time with it, can be a bit of a slog if you try to do everything.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few days ago, I finished at 54 hours. That's main quest, all factions, and around 20 side quests. Not really interested in the DLC, honestly. I might go back someday and finish the remaining side content if I'm itching for more of the world or combat, but for now it feels like a good stopping point.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By Yadilie

Just got the platinum a few days ago. I completely wiped clean a majority of the first area but after that it just seemed like a nuisance to do any of the quests. Rather drab game and the combat was a little weird. Damage was extremely inconsistent as Finesse. Going from doing 34 damage to suddenly constant 2,000 crits in the same combat string. I think I would've gone insane without quick travel. So I guess it's a good thing that i'm just now starting Dragon's Dogma. Running running and running.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.