Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Should I play Kingdoms of Amalur?

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EdgeKasey

And if yes...just the base game (20 on steam) or with all the DLC (40 on steam)

Is it too late??? I remember thinking the game kinda looked fun....Thoughts? Any Amalur supporters out there?

Thanks y'all.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Do you like to play mmo's solo?

Avatar image for irish_giant_bomber
    Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's not an mmo i thought it was an arpg

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christoffer: I never really am or was able to play mmos as my life just doesn't give me the necessary time required for the commitment .

Avatar image for irish_giant_bomber
    Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wew, i cant see the first comment so this thread confused me!

@EdgeKasey yes it is a good game, you might as well get the dlc too, if u like arpgs then u will love it!

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Christoffer

It plays a lot like an MMO in my opinion. I had a hard time sticking with it anyways.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an rpg built like an MMO without the MMO part. I have it and played like an hour and all the quests were run to this point, fight this thing repeat. The combat was alright though.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good just don't try and do every side quest. I got completely burnt out.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No

raiku2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$20 might be a bit much for it.

I got it on the cheap and it's not terrible.

A tad repititve, but can be satisfying.

Also known as kingdoms of amalur: The story of Santiago's sex tape.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Game is fun for 10 or so hours and then it's a slog.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It has a lot of interesting ideas that it doesn't do enough with, especially not for its running length. By hour 25 you'll have seen everything the game has to offer and it just turns into a mindless slog for the next 30, where you'll have to try very hard not to break the power curve and make every encounter in the game a joke. The story and the world are too generic to make up for it.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

The combat and character customization systems are excellent. The story and the world... not so much. The faction quests are cool, but most of the sidequests are bland and there are a lot of copy-paste dungeons unfortunately. It's a good, but flawed game. I'd say it's worth picking up.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I take a lot of enjoyment from Bethesda, Bioware, and even Ubisoft RPGs but I couldn't stay engaged or motivated in Kingdoms of Amulur for more than a half dozen hours.

It fails as a single player RPG on multiple fronts and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has the option to spend their time playing something better instead.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've played through it twice, during a game drought a couple of years back, i found the skill tree / class system to be fun and interesting, and the exteriors are nice. It has its own brand of awkwardness in some aspects (the boxy interiors, the menus), but overall it plays pretty smooth. 'Comforting' might be the word I'd use to describe it.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat's fast paced and there's some pretty fun skills to mix and match with. But to OMGFather's point, don't take every quest that comes along. I never finished the game, either, due to the repetitiveness of some of the side stuff.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My brother-in-law loved it but I gave it a shot earlier this year and it just didn't grab my attention for very long. It was probably decent enough at release compared to last gen games and it certainly wasn't bad but I feel like even at a discount price there are better alternatives at this point if you want to play a RPG .

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reckoning is a pretty damn good game. If you're a perfectionist, try and stifle that side of yourself. A fair amount of the side content is good (the Fae House quest chains, especially), but a lot of it is pretty rote. The character progression rewards experimentation, so I'd definitely recommend respeccing every now and then to try out something else. Hammers and staves are immensely satisfying, but all the weapons are pretty fun, with the exception of the sceptre. As far as the DLCs go, they're both alright; nothing to write home about.

I know I already said this, but don't do all the sidequests. I did and I regret it. There is about one hundred hours worth of content in Reckoning, but only forty or so hours of it are any good.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
    Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you've played everything else, sure.

Definitely don't pay that price for it though. The steam holiday sale should be going up soon and you should be able to find that for at least 33% off. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see it 75% off.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks all! Sounds like if I see it on sale, might be worth taking for a spin.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat is pretty good but the story is just another high fantasy like you've seen a thousand times. Looks great though. If you're in to podcasts it's a good podcast game.

Also I remember playing the DLC Teeth of Naros and really enjoying it but I don't think I've played beyond that.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have about 130 hours in that game.

I regret around 90 of them.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

It's not terrible as a single-player MMO kind of thing. I remember it being fairly easy, though, and I don't think I ever actually beat it, but it's still entertaining enough for ten bucks or whatever it is right now.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I quite enjoyed the combat in KoA though as others have mentioned the story and quests aren't all that interesting or engaging. I still ended up play like 70+ hours and finished everything except for the second DLC (kinda got burned out at that point) and while I definitely enjoyed myself to the most part, I also felt like they could have put the same good combat into a much better/interesting world.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I mainly bought it as an alternative to Skyrim and so on.

It's an okay game. Kinda boring after a while. Three out of five stars or whatever. It's one of those games to play in order to catch up on some podcasts. ...which is something I can say about Skyrim after the 600 hour mark, but that says more about how I play RPGs that I'm really familiar with.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By poser

As almost everyone has mentioned the game over stays it's welcome but the combat is excellent. Also the story is awful, especially if you consider all the big names involved. But overall I enjoyed it because the gameplay and gear was so good.

I wish we lived in a world where they got to make a second one, because this game was much better than it got credit for.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the combat, but the story and mission structure gets very boring a repetitive. I'd say the best way to play it is mainlining the story and avoid most of the side quests. That way you'll be satisfied before getting burnt out on it. And for that reason I'd say the DLC isn't worth it either. If you end up loving the game I'd go for the DLC after finishing and wanting more.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I found it incredibly dull and limited in it's character options

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it really depends on if you like fantasy in general.

I've managed to play through worse games (two worlds, risen etc) because I devour pretty much anything in a fantasy setting.

I'll echo what others have said though and that's to not do every side quest so the game doesn't get too boring towards the end. I will add that this game is one of the only ones I can remember that make you feel like a total badass if you choose to be a battle mage (although it does break the game quicker).

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is fun for the combat, and I remember liking what I played, but I lost steam after about 20 hours in, maybe? The missions get repetitive and the overall story wasn't interesting enough to propel me through the game.

On sale I would say it's worth it, but for $40.00 total with DLC? That's still a bit pricey for me. I think I paid close to that or maybe even closer to full price years ago, but I wouldn't say it was worth it based on how much time I spent with it. I will say this - the weapon variety and combat was very fun. If there was a better game enveloping that combat, it would carry a much higher recommendation.

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh: I played it the same way. It was a great game during a drought.

If you don't have anything else to play pick this game up and you can probably get some enjoyment out of it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By mike

Definitely do not pay $20 for this game, it has been 75% off three times in the last year alone and we've got the Steam Winter Sale coming up.

Avatar image for atomicpineapple
    atomicpineapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all right, though the camera could easily be situated twice as far away from your character. It's uncomfortably close.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DO wait for a sale wither on Origin, steam or any third party site! you can get everything for about $8

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No you should not play it. It's not a bad game, but there are so many better games you could be playing. If you really want to try it, Origin lets you play the free game for free for 48 hours.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't bother, there are way better games out there. This one is average in every way and it does not respect your time, there is way too much boring filler.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Onemanarmyy

You could spend your time on better games. If you really want to play it, wait for the wintersale and you'll probably be able to get it for 7.50$ or less

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By cornbredx

It's already been said doubly, but I'll say it too. It's ok. The mechanics are solid and the story is fine. The only problem with the game, in my opinion, is it goes on way too long and the mission structure is too fetch questy.

So, It feels like an MMO. By the time I got to the second area I was done (that was about 20 or 30 hours in I think. I forget. It was significant enough that it was worth the purchase price even still). So, it's fine, but it goes on too long and drags at some point.

So I guess my advice is "it depends on how much time you have." If you don't have a lot of money and time I would advise playing something else. Even if this is on sale. Again it's ok, but there are better RPGs out there for cheap. Even newer ones.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat is really fun but can't support the amount of quests in the game so it can becomes tiresome after a while. The other problem is that none of the main storylines are interesting and the characters are incredibly dull. The game feels kinda lifeless which adds to the whole single-player MMO thing.

The game is also too easy. Even if you put it on the hardest difficulty, you will hit a point pretty early on where you become unstoppable. People have recommended that you should avoid crafting and just stick to looting to avoid this but that only delays the problem.

It's a game where you need to avoid huge chunks of it to get the best out of it and it isn't really worth it in the end.

The combat is it's only saving grace. 20 dollars is way too much at this point and extra content is the last thing it needs. I'd recommend something like Dragon Age: Inquisition or Witcher 3 over this any day.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ulquiokani:

I wanted to like DA:I so much...but i found the combat to be tedious and boring. And that stupid sonar ping mechanic....ugh...who thought that was a great idea?!?

Witcher 3 I got when I upgraded to a 980.....waiting to actually have enough time to dive into it! :(

Hopefully this comes up for sale again during Steam's winter sale....sounds like a game i can zone out to and feel like a badass for a few hours! Actually amazed at how many people have weighed in on this game. :)

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgekasey: I bought it last year, I got bored after an hour. It does really play like a solo mmo like other people have said

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CheapPoison

I can't recommend it. The story and the gameplay get kind of stale. They try to do some unique world but it never elavated beyond generic fantasy for me. And the combat was a welcome change to rpg like this, but there was very little dept in it in the end. And it did not stay fun or fresh throughout the entire game. It tries to play more like an action game but falls short quite a bit from a devil may cry, god of war,... in the quality of the execution on that front.

So, big problem is that both those problems for me are around. If one of those things is compelling it would probably be enough cause either one isn't exactly bad, but in the end it is a game of which I didn't hate my time spend in it. But that is a long way away from enjoying my time with it.

Edit!: If it goes for 20, grab the Witcher 3. On sale that already has start hitting 30 and 25 dollars.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.