Did nobody else pick this up?

Avatar image for TechnoSyndrome
#1 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (1342 posts) -

I only owned a few of the games in this collection (Dream Land 1 and 2 for the Game Boy and Adventure on Virtual Console), so I was pretty excited for this. Played through Kirby's Dream Land 1 and most of Adventure the other day. I'm actually impressed with the amount of effort that went into this package, especially after Super Mario All-Stars Wii was such a disappointment. They even made a Game Boy Virtual Console shell just for this game. The artbook and soundtrack CD are pretty nice too.

Avatar image for metric_outlaw
#2 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1201 posts) -

I debated about it. I own all the titles except for Dreamland 2 and The Crystal Shards so I figured it would be cheaper to just buy those individually. Do they do enough to justify it if I buy it?

Avatar image for psylah
#3 Posted by psylah (2292 posts) -

America hates Kirby.

Avatar image for coafi
#4 Posted by Coafi (1520 posts) -

I picked it up, there was only one copy in my store, so I jumped on it. For $40 this is an excellent collection and the package is super neat too. The only thing that bugged me was that the package was not sealed, not sure if it was just mine or all of them were like this.

Avatar image for brodehouse
#5 Posted by Brodehouse (10827 posts) -
@psylah

America hates Kirby.

American Kirby is Hardcore.

I already have Kirby Super Star, the best Kirby game.
Avatar image for impendingfoil
#6 Posted by ImpendingFoil (587 posts) -

I was considering it since I have almost no experience playing a Kirby game yet owning almost every Nintendo platform growing up and until now. The only real Kirby experience I have was downloading the original Gameboy title on my 3DS. I had a neighbor growing up though that would get every Kirby title as they came out because he loved the original Gameboy one. I just never had any desire to ever borrow any of them.

Avatar image for goofygoober
#7 Posted by GoofyGoober (941 posts) -

I was thinking about it myself, I really want to play and beat Kirby 64.

Avatar image for TechnoSyndrome
#8 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (1342 posts) -

@Metric_Outlaw said:

I debated about it. I own all the titles except for Dreamland 2 and The Crystal Shards so I figured it would be cheaper to just buy those individually. Do they do enough to justify it if I buy it?

If you've already have most of them I don't know if there's enough here. The Kirby Timeline is neat but nothing you couldn't find out for free, and I'm sure any new info in the artbook will be integrated into Wikipedia soon enough. There's some new challenge levels using the Kirby's Return to Dream Land engine, but not $40 worth. Soundtrack is nice but only a few tracks are new, it's mostly just a compilation of old tunes. If you're happy with your old versions you're probably better off sticking with them.

Avatar image for wtf_ftw111
#9 Posted by WTF_FTW111 (2 posts) -

I ordered it from Amazon, and am waiting for it to arrive. It will probably arrive tomorrow. I can't wait. :D

Avatar image for metric_outlaw
#10 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1201 posts) -

@Taku128 said:

@Metric_Outlaw said:

I debated about it. I own all the titles except for Dreamland 2 and The Crystal Shards so I figured it would be cheaper to just buy those individually. Do they do enough to justify it if I buy it?

If you've already have most of them I don't know if there's enough here. The Kirby Timeline is neat but nothing you couldn't find out for free, and I'm sure any new info in the artbook will be integrated into Wikipedia soon enough. There's some new challenge levels using the Kirby's Return to Dream Land engine, but not $40 worth. Soundtrack is nice but only a few tracks are new, it's mostly just a compilation of old tunes. If you're happy with your old versions you're probably better off sticking with them.

Yea that's figured. Idk I still might jump on it just for the convenience of having them all in one place.

Avatar image for TechnoSyndrome
#11 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (1342 posts) -

@Metric_Outlaw said:

@Taku128 said:

@Metric_Outlaw said:

I debated about it. I own all the titles except for Dreamland 2 and The Crystal Shards so I figured it would be cheaper to just buy those individually. Do they do enough to justify it if I buy it?

If you've already have most of them I don't know if there's enough here. The Kirby Timeline is neat but nothing you couldn't find out for free, and I'm sure any new info in the artbook will be integrated into Wikipedia soon enough. There's some new challenge levels using the Kirby's Return to Dream Land engine, but not $40 worth. Soundtrack is nice but only a few tracks are new, it's mostly just a compilation of old tunes. If you're happy with your old versions you're probably better off sticking with them.

Yea that's figured. Idk I still might jump on it just for the convenience of having them all in one place.

That aspect of the collection is definitely nice. All the games in one place, on a console you (probably) still have hooked up to your TV, it lets you play Dream Land 1 and 2 on your TV rather than on a handheld, and there's Wii Remote, Classic Controller and GameCube controller controls for every game, whereas the Virtual Console versions of the SNES and N64 games don't let you use a Wii Remote on its own even though they could map all of the necessarily buttons to it.

Avatar image for funrush
#12 Posted by Funrush (73 posts) -

Oh, wow, this is out already? I need to pick this up.

Avatar image for darthorange
#13 Posted by DarthOrange (4178 posts) -

After the half-assed Super Mario All-Stars I decided Fuck Nintendo and their half-assed re-releases. I guess I'll pick it up later on if it is a quality port.

Is it 4:3 or 16:9?

Avatar image for i_stay_puft
#14 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (5568 posts) -

I bought this and then cried myself to sleep at night.

Avatar image for TechnoSyndrome
#15 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (1342 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

After the half-assed Super Mario All-Stars I decided Fuck Nintendo and their half-assed re-releases. I guess I'll pick it up later on if it is a quality port.

Is it 4:3 or 16:9?

All the new stuff like the menus, challenge stages and timeline are 16:9, the old games keep their original aspect ratios but have custom boarders to fill up the rest of the 16:9 screen.

Avatar image for eribuster
#16 Posted by Eribuster (785 posts) -

I got one as there is a $10 discount at Fry's Electronics. I haven't played any of the games yet, but the package, art book, and special soundtrack look really nice. A far better anniversary product than the Super Mario one.

Avatar image for steelerzfan101
#17 Posted by steelerzfan101 (302 posts) -

I just got it! It was pretty cheap on Black Friday so I decided to pick it up! I still have yet to get into it though!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.