The cringey trailer might've turned people off but I played the closed beta and was surprised by its layers of strategy. I've seen Twitter folks describe it as Splatoon meets dodgeball. The Knockout City devs clearly added the right mechanics to make a fun dodgeball video game. What I enjoyed:
1. Special balls- Not gimmicks but helps enhance gameplay. Moon balls give you gravity powers to jump way higher. Bomb balls is like a ticking grenade; throw it at the last second and if the enemy catches it...kaboom.
2. Glider- The glider is amazing for strategy. Fly to quickly escape, take a shortcut, or flank. If a dodgeball is nearby, the glider can be a great way to quickly get there before the enemy.
3. Strategy- Can't just keep throwing balls every time. Timing matters, so gotta learn how and when to throw. You can also pass the ball to teammates. Glider and special balls keep matches interesting.
4. Caged ball- throw it at the enemy and they turn into a ball. Then you can grab the enemy and throw them off the map.
5. Short matches- between 5 and 10 min I believe
1. The trailer should've been better. Just confused or upset people
2. Maybe a bit too much Fortnite-like as far as visuals and character behavior
3. Not sure if people will "get" it. Yes, it's dodgeball but the gameplay has layers. There's a bunch of tutorial messages in-game you can read about; that might be a minus to some players.
Will check it out when it pops up in May. I would watch Giant Bomb do a quick look or stream of this game. I'm sure one or two of the staff will not like it lol