Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Knockout City

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released May 21, 2021

Knockout City is an arena-based multiplayer dodgeball game.

On gamepass, pretty fun!

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

More depth than I expected, lots of fun maps and a neat hub area. Definitely getting Splatoon vibes here with lots of fun customization and fast matches. Not sure if I'll stick with it, but a nice breath of fresh air

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got to rank 10, was able to buy the most expensive item in the item shop with in-game currency, tried out a few modes, and I have to say I think I'm going to stick with this for a while. Make sure if you try this to do the tutorials because there are trick shots that absolutely change the game.

Squadaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I've been playing this on PC and having a blast. I was in the same boat of kind of liking it until I really got the hang of the trick shots and that really elevated the game for me. Plus I keep finding new kinds of tricks to do, like I dodged into a ball being thrown at a teammate to knock it out of the way (which I knew from the tutorial but didn't think to do for balls not thrown at me), and you can dodge underneath the cars in the map with traffic.

I still worry about the legs on it as the base gameplay has a lot of depth but without constant new maps and modes I still see it getting old fast, but I still went ahead and bought it on Epic Games Store since they were giving out $10 coupons anyways and I wanted to support the devs pushing the game further.

Ryan3370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ryan3370

I tried it on switch, it seemed...fine. I just think there's way too many other competitive multiplayer games for this to stick around. This gives me vibes of a game people will talk about for a couple weeks then never again.

Zephyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joining the club on this one. I tried it for fun on gamepass for PC just to waste time for an hour or two and now here I am at level 30. Whoops!

I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would, but I'm a bit worried if the playerbase will stick around after the free trial has ended. It seems like the kind of game that would benefit from having a rotating game mode that is just free to play in order to make sure there are always players to be found somewhere. Free 2 Play with a gamepass would also make sense I guess. I just hope they get a big enough fanbase to get going. But hopefully cross platform also means that it has a better chance.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zephyer: I'm optimistic, but probably wrongly so. I think they should force the tutorial on players, because not understanding the depth (sorry Jan I still enjoyed your upf segment) really shows a much less interesting game.

Squadaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topcyclist: Splatoon got the benefit of the doubt for a couple reasons. First, it was made by Nintendo so it automatically gets cut more slack than typical for better or worse. Second, Splatoon had a wide variety of different weapons which made it more repeatable since you can completely change up your playstyle within a mode where Knockout City everybody has the same skillset and the only change from match to match is what super balls are in play.

With that being said, I think people complaining about Knockout City's price are being too picky. I've probably already put 7-8 hours into it and had a ton of fun pretty well all of that time which honestly for a price-to-time-spent ratio is better than a lot of games.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

Oh shit is it on gamepass? That's great I've been playing the free trial on PS5 I'll switch over.

I really enjoy it, nice and colourful and vibrant.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, it does tend to lose momentum, at least for me. If they keep the modes rotating maybe I can get back, but it's just a hair shy of being enough game for me. Wish it had local play, I'd mess with it far more often if it did. Not down on the game at all especially with it being on gamepass, and I hope they keep things coming because I will check in every couple weeks. A game this sparse does not lend itself well to a battle pass type situation, I basically have to pick which games season I engage with every couple months these days

Zephyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zephyer

@sahalarious: I'm at level 60 and well into the ranked League and I'm starting to feel like it's going a little stale as well. I still feel like the core gameplay is solid, but the maps are getting old quick and the wait for a new match after a game is completed is ridiculous (quicker to just leave the game and jump into a new queue). Also there's just enough weirdness in some of the systems that makes it feel like it could have been better polished. Like I got into a ranked game earlier that was already underway with 2 points left before the opponent team would win. When they did win I dropped in rank, which I feel is an odd way for the game to treat a backfill player.

Other than that I feel like the shop is too slow to stock new items (1 new item per day) and at this point I have way too many XP boosters, so making some changes to the progression unlocks might be a good idea as well so I can actually get a chance to use the boosters before I get new ones.

Those are all minor problems though and more importantly they can be solved easily I think. There's a really good game here and I'm not done playing it yet, but they might need to crank out some updates quick to keep it fresh for more than a couple of weeks.

Quick edit: I feel like I slam to much on the game in this comment, so I will also give it the praise it deserves. This is the first game since the Overwatch launch that has had me interested in a competitive online game, which is damn impressive because I usually don't like competitive games.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zephyer: I want to second The praise that is due,but your complaints are super valid. I do t think this is early access, but that distinction seems irrelevant thesee days. I think if EA backs this up for at least a year, it will end up with a dedicated following and some quality of life improvements with matchmaking and the store.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.