"Ludens" face partially revealed. "I'll keep coming".

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kasaioni

Revealed exclusively on a video game website called "GameSpot dot com", a new picture of Kojima Productions' previously established company mascot now partially unmasked has been shown.

On the picture are the words "I'll keep coming", likely related to the concept of play and its role in the development of human beings and...well here's the Wikipedia article on Homo Ludens. Regardless, this seems to be a lot of time and thought put into something that's simply your company's mascot; which makes me think Ludens is not only the company's mascot.

No Caption Provided

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It did not occur to me that there would be an actual person behind that suit. I assumed it was some sort of skeleton in a power suit.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Original_Hank

I feel like its 100% a Kojima type thing to do, to spend this much time on a mascot. They won't have anything game wise to show off so having a long drawn out mascot revealing seems like an OK way to keep people engaged with their company. They are just lucky that thing is cool as shit so it works.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm glad that Kojima is still Kojima.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coming where?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Not gonna lie, kinda bummed it's just a dude under there.

Maybe it's a sci-fi Souls thing? Die, respawn, go back?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What engine is KojiPRO working with? I'm assuming they didn't get to keep the FOX engine so it must be UE4 or something.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: they said they weren't going to make their own engine, and yea no way Konami would let them use FOX so it would have to be something like UE4.

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe the eyes are a mask over what is really beneath the skull?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Part of me expects that the skeleton slowly turns into the face of Kojima :)

But that would be too much. Right?

Although it's hard to know what this mascot eventually will signify, i do think it's an awesome design.

I just automatically think about a skull tearing apart humans to wear their faces as a mask. I blame Hitman for this.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Well, now if Kojima isn't at PS4 conference then it'll be super disappointing.

ikabubu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Few thoughts came to mind:

1) Still get an amazing buzz seeing Shinkawa's creation take 3D form. That man is a talented artist.

2) The tag line made me think of "rebirth as mechanic." If it IS a game, is Kojima making a Souls-like?

3) Lastly, I am partially bummed that the logo isn't just a badass skull under a futuristic knight helmet. Instead, fleshed out as just an armored suit, it ends up asking for context. Should've stayed a skull.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Nilazz

Kojima is slowly greasing Konami to give him the MGS license and when we finally see who is underneath the suit it is gonna turn out to be Solid Snake! That suit is the only thing that is keeping his now too old body together but it also gives him the ability to be in space!! Vis-a-vis the next MGS is going to take place in space! Metal Gear Space!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

Say what you will but the man sure knows how to drum up interest around his projects.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The detail in this image is staggering.

And it's exciting to see them come up with a distinctive armour set so quickly.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

it becomes less interesting the more of the logo/mascot/character they reveal

that original image was prefect

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: I think they have said that the reason Kojima has been traveling the world has been to look for a new engine they can use.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It did not occur to me that there would be an actual person behind that suit. I assumed it was some sort of skeleton in a power suit.

Same here!

What engine is KojiPRO working with? I'm assuming they didn't get to keep the FOX engine so it must be UE4 or something.

Sadly Konami owns the FOX Engine. And the folks at KojiPro said they wouldn't be doing a new engine. There was a "Kojima World Tour" on which he visited a bunch of Game Developers to check their engines but it wasn't revealed what they picked. Unreal Engine, CryEngine, Frostbite and others are all still a possibility.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I guess they must do something to keep themselves entertained. From all we had heard from them especially Kojima just saying he changing plans and is going to release a big game instead of a small project. I don't expect to see a game from that studio for about 6+ years.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will be shocked if we see something within five years. Kojima strikes me as the kinda person that needs a leash on him.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is some Kojima-ass Kojima stuff and I love it. The art itself is also pretty good.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

Very Yoji Shinkawa design.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the original reveal looked incredibly dumb, but this is actually tickling my fancy.

Also, here I am getting sucked into this goddamn marketing ploy for a goddamn mascot for a goddamn company that hasn't said a goddamn word about its goddamn game.

God dammit.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah, but how cool would it be if it WAS just their mascot? That seems to be right up KP's alley: devote a bunch of time and multiple reveals to a high-res picture of your mascot, not even your first game's PC. I'd be into it.

Regardless, reminds me that I'm still super excited for whatever this company is doing!

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By katpottz

@nilazz: Naw man, Snake is way into all his new pachinko money.

dudeglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Can anyone remember roughly how long it was since now and when Kojima unofficially got kicked out of Konami? MGSV came out in September-ish but it was long rumored that he'd been out by the start of summer, right? If so he could have spent the past year and have some sort of weird concept thing to show for E3

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet it's Joaqim Mogren under that mask.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope we get something out of Kojima for E3. Unlikely, but man that would be cool.

Edit: And the Kojima conspiracies have already started. At least they're entertaining to sift through, even if it all mostly falls down to confirmation bias. I can totally at least see the guy in the suit being Norman Reedus though.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly Konami owns the FOX Engine. And the folks at KojiPro said they wouldn't be doing a new engine. There was a "Kojima World Tour" on which he visited a bunch of Game Developers to check their engines but it wasn't revealed what they picked. Unreal Engine, CryEngine, Frostbite and others are all still a possibility.

I could see Kojima being swayed by Frostbite. DICE has certainly put a lot into getting a cinematic style that Kojima would appreciate out of that engine.

Alright, I'm going to be the one to ask it: Japanese company went with a white person as their mascot?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kasaioni

@dudeglove: It was March 2015 that all the Kojima x Konami stuff started to surface; about a week after Kojima officially announced the release date for MGSV.

For those people saying that it is going to be a while before we see KojiPro's next game, along with saying that he wants to continue to make big games and have a smaller team, Kojima did say that he doesn't want to take as long on this current project (which to me seems like an equation for disaster, i.e. small team + big game + releasing sooner). But obviously that is easier said than done.

@the_nubster I think 50% of "playing" a Kojima-directed game is just the anticipation and speculation that leads up to its release.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

This is the company mascot? Hilarious and very Kojima. Amazing.

"I'll keep coming."

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

@hnke said:

Coming where?

All over. Keep your eyes and mouth closed.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really starting to hope that is a space suit.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kasaioni

@blackout62: They did? Because those eyes actually look Asian to me.

@devil240z Seems likely to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extravehicular_activity

No Caption Provided

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: I'll admit just the eyes isn't a good way to check a person's race.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just see space jockey. Also, that fellow's nose is clearly missing under that mask, if it is a mask.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know he is like turning on some light on his helmet, but it also looks like he is on a cell phone.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

im calling it. kojima is working player death into the narrative ala dark souls. well, if not, i'll be a little sad.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

Not gonna lie, kinda bummed it's just a dude under there.

@ikabubu said:

3) Lastly, I am partially bummed that the logo isn't just a badass skull under a futuristic knight helmet. Instead, fleshed out as just an armored suit, it ends up asking for context. Should've stayed a skull.

it becomes less interesting the more of the logo/mascot/character they reveal

My thoughts have been expressed. But who am I kidding? When the next image comes out I'll be clicking on that forum thread too.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ripelivejam

@claybrez said:

im calling it. kojima is working player death into the narrative ala dark souls. well, if not, i'll be a little sad.

maybe the game will self destruct or erase itself permanently if you die.

i also like that when i google search ludens it's still a zillion cough drop photos interspersed with the occasional kojima picture.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e83e1ada625d
deactivated-5e83e1ada625d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ludens?

Kojima confirmed to be making video game adaptation of Structure, Sign, and Play

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.