Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kojima Productions

Company »

Kojima Productions is a development house run by Hideo Kojima. Although the team behind it has worked on several series throughout the years, its line of Metal Gear Solid games is its most famous video game franchise.

Kojima working on FPS?

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By atejas

http://kotaku.com/5109080/rumor-kojima-working-on-first+person-shooter-calls-on-infinity-ward

"According to an anonymous poster on the popular but perennially sketchy 4chan board, Metal Gear Solid series director Hideo Kojima visited the offices of Infinity Ward today. Why? "To learn" about first-person shooters, allegedly.

The purported Infinity Warder wrote — with accompanying photo "proof" of the visit — that Kojima is working on something in the "FPS genre so he came to us to learn and take details from the team." It wouldn't be the first time that Kojima was rumored to have called upon the Call of Duty developer's FPS know-how."

Aaand here's the photo

I wasn't expecting him to be so short, goddamn.
    I wasn't expecting him to be so short, goddamn.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

yeah I heard about this earlier, I would say I'm very interested, but not until I get some actual confirmation about this. A "random poster at 4chan" is about as bad as it gets in terms of someone running an actual story from.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Bulldog19892

a next metal gear is... an FPS?

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Relys
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "a next metal gear is... an FPS?"
    The FPS view in MGS4 was very good.
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Bulldog19892
    Relys said:
    "Bulldog19892 said:
    "a next metal gear is... an FPS?"
    The FPS view in MGS4 was very good."
    Perhaps they're working on some kind of spin-off series.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By atejas
    pause422 said:
    "yeah I heard about this earlier, I would say I'm very interested, but not until I get some actual confirmation about this. A "random poster at 4chan" is about as bad as it gets in terms of someone running an actual story from."
    True, but there are some reliable people on /v/. i remember somebody told them about the DSi like, a week, I think, before it was unveiled.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Arkthemaniac

This is an iffy choice, I think. In the 3D stealth realm, there was little competition. In the FPS realm, You have Bioshock, Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 4 advancing gameplay and storytelling. He has more competition than he's ready for, I think.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "This is an iffy choice, I think. In the 3D stealth realm, there was little competition. In the FPS realm, You have Bioshock, Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 4 advancing gameplay and storytelling. He has more competition than he's ready for, I think."
    None of those games however have masterful stories in Metal Gears tier.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Gunner

Id play it. As long as it comes out on the PC too.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "This is an iffy choice, I think. In the 3D stealth realm, there was little competition. In the FPS realm, You have Bioshock, Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 4 advancing gameplay and storytelling. He has more competition than he's ready for, I think."

"
    Don't even try to say that Half Life or Bioshock doesn't have a good enough story to compete with that seen in Metal Gear. MGS's entire story was so convoluted and crazy throughout each time it made a "sequel", even when it started to come together and make sense by MGS4, it was a continuous thing that gets drug out game after game, just so they have a reason to make a sequel once more, and I like Metal Gear alot, but there isn't a way around this. Bioshock as a stand alone game comes together and makes sense, that is far better than the drawn out conclusion that Metal Gear had, and the main inspiration for telling the story how it did was half life, being the pinacle of immersive story telling, which is far different than Metal Gears approach, which is more so, like you're watching a movie, instead of watching a story in a game unfold.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince
    pause422 said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:

"
    Don't even try to say that Half Life or Bioshock doesn't have a good enough story to compete with that seen in Metal Gear. MGS's entire story was so convoluted and crazy throughout each time it made a "sequel", even when it started to come together and make sense by MGS4, it was a continuous thing that gets drug out game after game, just so they have a reason to make a sequel once more, and I like Metal Gear alot, but there isn't a way around this. Bishock as a stand alone game comes together and makes sense, that is far better than the drawn out conclusion that Metal Gear had."

I don't need to try. Metal Gear has without a doubt, a better story then either of those games. Those games are good, but they aren't Metal Gear good.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

Let me correct you, Metal Gear has "in your opinion" a better story then those games. Don't try to talk as if you're saying a fact, because you're not. This isn't even what this "what if?" thing could be though, referring to if he actually goes into making an FPS, I somehow don't think it would be a Metal Gear game. However if it is, those games threaten the way FPS do their story telling, so would definitely have plenty of competition in this genre, unlike the stealth/action genre, where as Metal Gear was on top of it.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By atejas
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:

"
    Bioshock has better atmosphere and storytelling. Halflife has great storytelling too.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince
    pause422 said:
    "Let me correct you, Metal Gear has "in your opinion" a better story then those games. Don't try to talk as if you're saying a fact, because you're not. This isn't even what this "what if?" thing could be though, referring to if he actually goes into making an FPS, I somehow don't think it would be a Metal Gear game. However if it is, those games threaten the way FPS do their story telling, so would definitely have plenty of competition in this genre, unlike the stealth/action genre, where as Metal Gear was on top of it."

Okay, listen genius, if what I'm saying is an opinion then so is what your saying. This is a subjective topic, but the fact is that majority of people would say that Metal Gear has a far better story then either Bioshock or whatever else. This isn't saying those games aren't good, but they are not Metal Gear good.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pause422

What I'm saying isn't an opinion, because I'm not saying any of these games are bad or worse than either or them. What I am saying is that you're saying, whether you mean to make it sound this way or not, like its undeniable that Metal Gear's story is far better than either Half Life's or Bioshock, and its totally just your opinion and has no standing other than that. However, just rumor atm but still, if he does do a FPS that is based in the Metal Gear universe, he has far more competition than in the stealth/action genre, where Metal Gear was the top easily. Numbers mean nothing either, if you got all your buddies that agree with you that Metal Gear has a better story, its still just their opinion. I can easily say I know plenty of people that find Bioshock or more so, Half Lifes story/world far better than Metal Gears.

This is a stupid topic to begin with to go back and fourth with, the way you make each of your posts sound is completely ignorant, and just goes further into your "I'm a raving sony fanboy" attitude. Its pointless even trying to have a debate of opinion with you.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince
    pause422 said:
    "What I'm saying isn't an opinion, because I'm not saying any of these games are bad or worse than either or them. What I am saying is that you're saying, whether you mean to make it sound this way or not, like its undeniable that Metal Gear's story is far better than either Half Life's or Bioshock, and its totally just your opinion and has no standing other than that. However, just rumor atm but still, if he does do a FPS that is based in the Metal Gear universe, he has far more competition than in the stealth/action genre, where Metal Gear was the top easily. Numbers mean nothing either, if you got all your buddies that agree with you that Metal Gear has a better story, its still just their opinion. I can easily say I know plenty of people that find Bioshock or more so, Half Lifes story/world far better than Metal Gears.

This is a stupid topic to begin with to go back and fourth with, the way you make each of your posts sound is completely ignorant, and just goes further into your "I'm a raving sony fanboy" attitude. Its pointless even trying to have a debate of opinion with you."

People call other people fanboys when they don't know how to respond, or they disagree with their opinions. You said in your first post and I quote:

"Don't even try to say that Half Life or Bioshock doesn't have a good enough story to compete with that seen in Metal Gear. MGS's entire story was so convoluted and crazy throughout each time it made a "sequel", even when it started to come together and make sense by MGS4, it was a continuous thing that gets drug out game after game, just so they have a reason to make a sequel once more, and I like Metal Gear alot, but there isn't a way around this. Bioshock as a stand alone game comes together and makes sense, that is far better than the drawn out conclusion that Metal Gear had..."

You clearly say that the story in Bioshock comes together better and that Metal Gear's story was convoluted. OPINION. Something which apparently you said you were not having, with your apparent "unbiased views". Also, the majority of the gaming population, I'm sure, would concede that Metal Gear has a better story then either of the prior to games mentioned. If majority agree, even on a subjective matter, then that right there proves which game is better story wise. Metal Gear is THE game known for it's story, so you even trying to argue that it isn't good or whatever, is pointless, because that is still your opinion, and one not shared by the majority. Okay, your don't like it, but it still has a better story, which once again I state, majority will agree with.

Also, if you can't come into this discssion without insulting people, then I believe you should stay out and be quiet. Just because I have a differing opinion then you, does not make me a fanboy. Deal with it, lest you be called a fanboy yourself.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pause422

Bioshock was a single game, with a story made for that one game, its far different than the way Metal Gear set up for constantly sequel after sequel while constantly not answering certain things until the next game(even longer when they went from MGS2 o MGS3,since it wasn't a sequel), its so different and can't really be compared. I said MGS's story is convoluted and crazy, and it is, I didn't say it was bad  though.

Also think about this, you stated that if you had a possey of people basically agreeing with you that Metal Gear had a better story, that outnumbered the amount saying that Half Life or Bioshock did, they would be right. So....that's like saying since the Wii is killing the 360 and PS3 in sales its hands down the best console right? You even disagree with that yourself, watch your words before you use them, because they come back at you.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince
    pause422 said:
    "Bioshock was a single game, with a story made for that one game, its far different than the way Metal Gear set up for constantly sequel after sequel while constantly not answering certain things until the next game(even longer when they went from MGS2 o MGS3,since it wasn't a sequel), its so different and can't really be compared. I said MGS's story is convoluted and crazy, and it is, I didn't say it was bad  though.

Also think about this, you stated that if you had a possey of people basically agreeing with you that Metal Gear had a better story, that outnumbered the amount saying that Half Life or Bioshock did, they would be right. So....that's like saying since the Wii is killing the 360 and PS3 in sales its hands down the best console right? You even disagree with that yourself, watch your words before you use them, because they come back at you."

Half Life as I recall was also planned to have multiple chapters, and yet the story, while good, does not reach Metal Gear, and that statement is merely backed by the power of the majority.

And no, that Wii example is completely different. Many people purchase the Wii, but that doesn't necessarily mean they like the system. Some might not have enough money and just want a cheaper console, some are buying it for their kids, and so on. Cheap consoles sell. I know many people who own the Wii and barely touch it. Sales majority doesn't mean the same thing as an opinionated majority because many people own the Wii yet I believe majority would agree that it's software lineup is lacking and thus making it un-enjoyable. It is however different from software sales, because majority of the people who buy the software know what they are getting and are consciously making the choice to purchase said game for story, gameplay, or whatever. Majority of people purchased knowingly, Metal Gear, and that majority agree that Metal Gear is one of the best, if not the best, story games on the market.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

I'm done now btw, keep ranting if you feel the need to. Anyone here can clearly see its pointless talking back and fourth between a subject such as this with you. You're wrong is all it comes down to, since you apparently can't accept the fact that its just your own opinion that Metal Gear is better. I'd like to see the "majority" though, seeing as no one except yourself has been arguing this here.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince
    pause422 said:
    "I'm done now btw, keep ranting if you feel the need to. Anyone here can clearly see its pointless talking back and fourth between a subject such as this with you. You're wrong is all it comes down to, since you apparently can't accept the fact that its just your own opinion that Metal Gear is better. I'd like to see the "majority" though, seeing as no one except yourself has been arguing this here."

Man with nothing of value to say, finally gives up. If you would like to see the majority look up any number of critical reviews. I also laugh at the fact that you think you are the only one who is right. Maybe when you grow up, we can have a worthwhile discussion. Blind fanboy or hater (whatever seems more appropriate for the most recent useless post you have made, or will make) is totally what you are.

Also, for the record, I'd like to point out that I never said that it WASN'T an opinion, however I said it is an opinion shared my many, many people.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pause422

I just gotta say how hilarious that statement is real quick: Because I'm done going back and fourth with someone who is biased to begin with on a topic that is just opinionated of what stories seem to be better(no , you stating your "opinion" doesn't mean its right, but its apparently rocket science for you to get that into your head) instead of sitting here for another I don't know how long refreshing this forum to go back and fourth with you more so, I'm giving up? Its hilarious what you call a "victory".

What reviews are you talking about honestly? Halo gets amazing reviews, I think the game is shit, why would I care about the difference of reviews between Metal Gear games and Half Life/Bioshock ones? Like its proving anything. On top of even if it did, where in any of these reviews does each one specifically state that "Metal gear has the best story ever, clearly better than half life or bioshock", pretty sure no where. Bringing reviews into the mix to begin with is a stupid thing to base your argument on. Keep going on and think what you want, feel free to even think you're constantly right and others aren't since its clear you seem to think that. Sorry I'm not as childish as you apparently.

Just gotta say, I thought Sentry could be bad sometimes about shit like this, but wow, you really out do it. Good work. /clap

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince
    pause422 said:
    "I just gotta say how hilarious that statement is real quick: Because I'm done going back and fourth with someone who is biased to begin with on a topic that is just opinionated of what stories seem to be better(no , you stating your "opinion" doesn't mean its right, but its apparently rocket science for you to get that into your head) instead of sitting here for another I don't know how long refreshing this forum to go back and fourth with you more so, I'm giving up? Its hilarious what you call a "victory".

What reviews are you talking about honestly? Halo gets amazing reviews, I think the game is shit, why would I care about the difference of reviews between Metal Gear games and Half Life/Bioshock ones? Like its proving anything. On top of even if it did, where in any of these reviews does each one specifically state that "Metal gear has the best story ever, clearly better than half life or bioshock", pretty sure no where. Bringing reviews into the mix to begin with is a stupid thing to base your argument on. Keep going on and think what you want, feel free to even think you're constantly right and others aren't since its clear you seem to think that. Sorry I'm not as childish as you apparently.

Just gotta say, I thought Sentry could be bad sometimes about shit like this, but wow, you really out do it. Good work. /clap"

Oh my god, what part of I KNOW IT"S AN OPINION, however it's an opinion shared by many, don't you understand. YOU are the one who is biased. I know all those game are good, however you seem to want to hate Metal Gear. I even recall you saying in other threads that you hated MGS4, and bashing it and so on. I will open a thread, that will ask which game has a better story and we will see, how about that.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By atejas

The funny part is this whole internet argument started out over which had better storytelling and devolved into which had better story.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Drebin_893

It's hilarious how absolutely fucked pause422 was by the end of that debate.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By kush

All I'll say is that hour+ long cutscenes won't work in an FPS...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By get2sammyb
    Drebin_893 said:
    "It's hilarious how absolutely fucked pause422 was by the end of that debate."
    Haha yes. I don't know why he didn't just give up.

Anyway Kush is right, hour long cutscenes won't work in this environment, he'll have to take the Bioshock/Half Life adaptation to story telling. I don't think the average CoD player would have patience for a Kojima produced FPS. And I also can't say that I'm all that excited about another FPS. After Killzone 2 (and I'm only buying that for the technical showpiece really) I'm done buying shooters for a while. I'm sick to death of them.
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Manachild

Hour long cutscenes dont work in FPS no, But i dont think that just because kojima has made metal gear for a good portion of his career doesnt mean he cant tell story in different ways, i think hes an intelligble enough man to do the research and explore different ways of telling story. 

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By kush

If Kojima could actually tell a story in the way that Bioshock/Half-Life told their stories I would be very impressed, but I can't see him not doing cutscenes. I would respect him a lot more if he did change his ways, but I think he's way too in love with cutscenes to stop using them.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By atejas
    Kush said:
    "If Kojima could actually tell a story in the way that Bioshock/Half-Life told their stories I would be very impressed, but I can't see him not doing cutscenes. I would respect him a lot more if he did change his ways, but I think he's way too in love with cutscenes to stop using them."
    He may use his other mainstay- codec calls. I could see that working in an FPS.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Red

I wouldn't mind a CoD4-sneaking Metal Gear with the totally over the top action sequences, although if the codecs were seamless radios in the corner while you were moving, that'd be awesome.

It'd need to have GOOD online though, ONE FRIGGIN ID.....hey, I wouldn't even mind if it was on the 360 or not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.