Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

La-Mulana

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released May 27, 2005

In this 2D "Metroidvania" style platformer, you play as Indiana Jones-inspired archaeologist Lemeza Kosugi, who seeks to uncover an ancient mystery.

La-Mulana EX

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

So the Vita version of La-Mulana finally showed up on PSN yesterday. So far, it seems like the Vita is a great home for this game. I'm not too far in yet - still trucking my way towards the Amphisbaena - but I'm curious to see what - if anything - they've changed for this version. At any rate - anyone else pick this up?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

A trailer I saw showed what looked like an enemy encyclopedia during the part that said "new features." I don't know what else they might have added. I'm also curious to see what they've changed/added, particularly if they've made the game any more accessible.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'll probably end up picking this up. I remember getting stuck last time I played it, so I'm interested in the puzzle re balancing they said they did.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@muttersometaxicab: the ''puzzles'' in this games are brutal, obscure and not worth figuring out. I mean, you need to complete them to progress but you should just look at a faq if you're stuck. Some of them are just simon's quest level of stupid.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@pyrodactyl: Oh totally using a FAQ. I actually like the platforming/boss fight stuff in La-Mulana, but you're 100% right about those puzzles being 90s adventure game levels of obscure. I don't think they've really done a significant revamp on most of the puzzles, though I suspect the sequel might be a little easier to parse.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muttersometaxicab: the ''puzzles'' in this games are brutal, obscure and not worth figuring out. I mean, you need to complete them to progress but you should just look at a faq if you're stuck. Some of them are just simon's quest level of stupid.

Some of them?!? More like three quarters. I gave up on the game entirely and watched a long play of it and I still don't know how they beat the game.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sinusoidal

I've recently gone back to this game and boy oh boy, it's some steamy bullshit. Invisible, breakable walls abound! The only thing more common than invisible, breakable walls are walls that remove 1/4 of your health when you try to break them on the off chance they're one of the ones you need to break. Instant death traps? Sure! Heard a satisfying bleeping noise that signifies you successfully solved a puzzle? The result very well could be halfway across the gigantic map with zero indication that that is the case! How about a tricky, timing based, permanently failable, likely death-causing-upon-failure puzzle that gets you one of the best items in the game and is immediately behind a boss fight? Why the fuck not?!? Puzzles often require that you place weights on daises. Only, one in five of those fuckers is some instant death bullshit. Very minor spoiler: One dais that is a trap requires that you instead place the weight on a nearby skeleton - which are very common in the ruins. You've wandered past dozens of those things in your time in the ruins and never had to do that before, and will never have to do that again. How would you EVER know to do that?!?

I read the tablets. When your clues are shit like "One fool believed, in his foolishness, that he was a wise man. The fool flaunted his shallow wisdom and made decisions with a narrow mind. He proceeded to the right without hesitation. Another fool possessed wisdom, but his knowledge led him to believe he was a fool. A fool who smothers himself without first considering the situation. He went with the flow, and proceeded to the left. One can only hope that a true wise man stands here now." when presented with two one-way doors to your left and right and the solution is to scan the completely innocuous light on the wall next to you instead of choosing either left or right, again, something you've never had to do before, and never have to do again, just AAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Apparently, the remake is the 'easy' version. The original must be literally impossible. Holy shit! The developers (developer? I can't imagine just one guy pulling this thing off, but that might be the case?) of this game are some serious sadists.

That said, I'm actually kind of enjoying it with a guide. Not following a walkthrough sentence by sentence mind you, but actually trying to figure out what I can and only resorting to one when completely lost (which is depressingly often.) It's pretty freaking satisfying figuring some of this shit out on your own.

Sequel was successfully kickstarted some time ago and apparently due this year, too. Oh my!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.