Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

Anyone else feel like they're playing the game...wrong?

• 53 results
    bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bwheeeler

I'm not sure how to explain, but I think I'm missing something. It seems like I was thrust into the game and now I'm kind of bumbling my way through. The interviews are confusing - I usually understand when to use the "lie" command and present contradictory evidence (thanks Phoenix), but distinguishing between "truth" and "doubt" often seems like a crapshoot, especially when you only get one chance to hear their answer. And the commands often don't add up to what I think Cole will say - it's like the Mass Effect conversation wheel problem, but multiplied. I'll say "truth" and Cole will press them for more information, and I'll say "doubt" and Cole will press them for more information, but in a slightly meaner way. Anyone else feel this way? Loving the game, just having some trouble understanding how it's supposed to work.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By benjaebe

It took me a bit to get used to the interrogation system, but once I realized that 'doubt' basically means that you accuse them of lying but you don't have any proof to back it up I started to get the hang of it.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bwheeeler

Is that it? The game does a pretty poor job of explaining it. This thread on Reddit helped me out. So far, it's been my only real concern with the game (apart from the street crimes being a bit underwhelming and repetetive).

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I do and i haven't even got the game yet :<

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

It's not a problem with you, it's a problem with the game's design. Unfortunately, due to technological limitations and design choices there are a multitude of obvious questions that should be asked during interviews and interrogations and also, poorly designed "doubt" and "lie" comments that many of which aren't what you're expecting. I'm probably going to stop playing the game soon because I can't get over the fact that each section of the game limits my choices and my ability to question individuals to the full and necessary extent; it's very frustrating.

Avatar image for onemanfreakshow
    onemanfreakshow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By onemanfreakshow

I accidentally accused a woman of throwing her husband in front of a car earlier.

That's been my only real issue with the game, other than the character freeze that I posted a thread about earlier; sometimes when I accuse someone of something I think they're lying about, Cole accuses them of something entirely different.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Enigma777
    @benjaebe said:
    It took me a bit to get used to the interrogation system, but once I realized that 'doubt' basically means that you accuse them of lying but you don't have any proof to back it up I started to get the hang of it.
    Yea, I just figured this out as well and it's a lot easier now. 

Playing this game feels a lot like taking a test. You eliminate all the possible choices you can, then pick an answer from the remaining ones. 
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wickedsc3

Im getting the hang of it.  First you need to decide if they are telling the truth or it is a lie.  If you think they are lying you have two choices either you have the evidence to back up your accusation and you chose lie, or if you don't have the evidence you chose doubt.  

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By smitty86

Me and my friend pretty much came to the conclusion that this game would be much better if rather than being truth/doubt/lie it should instead list what Cole will say. It would eliminate the crazy instances where you pick one option and Cole, rather than calling them out on that one fact, tries to place the murders of the entire city on them. But yes, this game really has some issues regarding the interrogation process and its no fail missions where if you get anything less than a 5 star rating, nobody explains anything that just happened.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

You have to watch their faces and get a sense of whether they or being fully honest with you or are withholding something they think might make them look bad.

Here is a basic guide:

Truth: They aren't hiding anything, will almost always look you dead on with very little expression.
    Doubt: They are holding something back for whatever reason, they will usually look away, have peculiar mouth or head movement and generally just seem nervous
    Lie: Only use this when what they are saying directly contradicts the evidence you have.

Rarely does it actually have anything to do with the contents of their statement outside of when they contradict the evidence.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is exactly how I feel. And it's really starting to leech the enjoyment I'm getting out of this game. I have, like, a forty percent success rate on interrogation queries. It's pretty frustrating. 

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking

Seriously?  People are having this much trouble?  Just watch their eyes.  If they make eye solid, consistent eye contact then they are telling the truth.  If they look away at all then odds are they are lying or hiding something.  If you don't think you have logical evidence to contradict their statement then use doubt.

It takes some getting used to, but I just made it through an entire case with a 100% success rate following those guidelines.  Also, don't be afraid to use your intuition points.  You get several of them through the story and can only store up to five (or so it seems).  The "ask the community" option is generally the most helpful.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Devil240Z

yeah the only thing I can assume is that you are supposed to get the questions wrong. 

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Yeah, and I also love the accompanying music cue that plays when you incorrectly choose an option. It's soul sucking. Might as well be shouting "YOU FUCKING SUCK' too.

Y'know what I'd have liked a lot? A penalty bar of some sort, instead of just locking a line of questioning I fucked up on. Being able to retry at least once would be grand.
    oobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oobs

i enjoy the game..but one thing i have learnt i would never be a detective..i really do suck at it...i can't read a face to save my life...and when it says clues..i remember one would say shooting i thought it would just ask if they had seen the shooting..but no..i ended up asking if they commited it.....oh the pain...
    Baren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Baren

I don't know how many people know this, but remember you can press start when you are looking at your notepad and select log on the menu, which will give you a script of the last things they said. If I can narrow it down to either doubt or lie I usually choose lie first and look over all of the evidence in my experience so far it seems that MOST of the time only evidence that directly contradicts what they said works. You can also back out of a lie if your evidence doesn't seem to match.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BBQBram
    @HatKing said:
    Seriously?  People are having this much trouble?  Just watch their eyes.  If they make eye solid, consistent eye contact then they are telling the truth.  If they look away at all then odds are they are lying or hiding something.  If you don't think you have logical evidence to contradict their statement then use doubt.

It takes some getting used to, but I just made it through an entire case with a 100% success rate following those guidelines.  Also, don't be afraid to use your intuition points.  You get several of them through the story and can only store up to five (or so it seems).  The "ask the community" option is generally the most helpful.
    That's what I was going to say. Doubt is just stating it's a lie without the evidence to back it up.
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SteamPunkJin

They need to patch the names of the options.
    Believe
    Doubt
    Accuse
    Would clear a lot of this mess up. Also like HatKing said, just watch the face and eyes for more than a couple seconds, look for twitches, movements.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By LegalBagel

Yeah, I'm likewise having trouble with Truth/Doubt.  Half the time I get an idea that they're holding something back, but sometimes you should pick Truth and gently coax more out of them, and sometimes you should pick Doubt and batter it out of them.  I usually know when to use Lie, but the others I get wrong about half the time.

Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vexed

I seem to do fine until I have to question a kid.  Then things go horribly.  I think I got 0 questions right both times so far.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    They need to patch the names of the options. BelieveDoubtAccuse Would clear a lot of this mess up. Also like HatKing said, just watch the face and eyes for more than a couple seconds, look for twitches, movements.
    good idea there
    MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MayorFeedback
    @benjaebe said:
    This!

But don't worry about playing it "WRONG." You'll still get the story, and you'll get better at interrogating. Imagine how real police must feel!
    mrfievel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mrfievel

There's a lot of little bullshit things going on with this 3 way system.  Honestly I think they should have made it a 2 way system and when you use the aggressive one it sometimes asks for evidence. 

In one of the early cases I was talking to a guy who said he didn't hear anything, I chose lie and presented that someone else said there was an argument there.  It was wrong.  I restarted, chose doubt, and the fucker mentions the argument that I presented to him.

Another problem case is I said someone lied and presented an object.  It was wrong, I then restarted and presented a different object.  COLE DOESN'T EVEN MENTION THE SECOND, RIGHT OBJECT AND INSTEAD MENTIONS THE FIRST IN HIS DIALOGUE. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

It's tough but you get the hang of it. If they're shifting in any way, or looking anywhere but your face dead on, it's not going to be truth, then you see if you have any evidence that contradicts what they're saying, if you do it's "lie", if you don't, then it's "doubt".

Also Dr. House's mantra proves helpful here. "Everybody lies". This is true, I've never had someone give me all-truths for their interview yet. Maybe just once, but it was with an incidental witness.

After I figured that out, the game became much easier and more enjoyable, but it also becomes REALLY frustrating when you think you have contradictory evidence, or you get one step ahead of Cole, and you get things wrong even though you've figured it out. 
    tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tsolless

If you know they are lying and have evidence to prove it, you accuse them of lying.

If you know they are lying and don't have evidence to prove it, you select doubt. You also might have missed the evidence to show that they are lying so doubt won't work.

If you don't know if they are lying or not, you have to think a bit. Note that how they say things during their dialogue actually doesn't matter as much as how they are acting while you are selecting how you want to respond. You also have to think a bit about if it makes sense for them to be lying. The upstanding citizen who reported the crime and doesn't appear to be involved in any way, most likely is telling the truth.

Choosing truth/doubt depends on their intentions.

sleeprockss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By sleeprockss

I understand the difference between doubt and lie but it should be a little more clear on what the question is with lie. There was situations where I would ask someone a question and think it has to be doubt because I didn't have any proof for that question but when I would click lie he would ask a slightly different question that I could prove him wrong with evidence. If I would have clicked doubt first I would get that question wrong and have no chance to go back.

drmadhatten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By drmadhatten

I've gotten to the point where I press Lie just to see what they say. Often I press B to back out of it, but if they say something that directly contradicts, then I present the evidence. But just pressing lie to hear what they say is getting really old.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Eye movements are very telling. If they look off to the side during their statement, or make a pregnant pause. Something is up.
    Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chop

I got screwed so many times when I used lie. I would have evidence that backed up what we were first talking about but then when I hit lie, Cole would accuse them of something else completely and screw me over. 

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Brake

Yeah, I've mucked up some interviews due to not understanding the system completely. I thought that it was all in the faces. That Truth would be when they look at you straight in the eyes, Doubt would be a little shifty and uncomfortable and then Lie would be them looking all over the place. But I guess not.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Slaker117
    @Chop said:

I got screwed so many times when I used lie. I would have evidence that backed up what we were first talking about but then when I hit lie, Cole would accuse them of something else completely and screw me over. 

This was so fucking annoying. It kind of ruins the whole thing for me. You can back out when you realize that he asks for something entirely different than what you intended, but that doesn't change the fact that it's done badly. You should almost accuse them of lying any time you see them twitching because if you you might have proof for whenever you actually have to prove, something you would never know if you went with doubting what is initially said.

Also, the use of "doubt" is misrepresentative. Half the time you aren't doubting what they say, you are only pressing them for more. Truth and doubt are more like "good cop, bad cop" where you have to choose if you want to be aggressive or nice to get more information. Again, poorly done. And why are some of the people I'm questioning holding back when they have nothing to gain from doing so? Bartender, I asked you when she left, you told me, and are now smirking like a moron. I "doubt", Cole yells at you to stop holding back the investigation and you tell him she was also with some guy. WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY THAT! Did you think you were being clever or something? This cases has nothing to do with you, you never some up again, you did nothing wrong. Did just you want to see if you could get away with lying to a cop for fun? You had been cooperating fine earlier, why now wait till now to be a jackass FOR NO REASON!?

A lot of this game annoyed me. It's a shame, because I want to like it, but feel like there is too much in the way for that to actually happen.

Also, this ↓
    Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DetectiveSpecial
    @Vexed said:
    I seem to do fine until I have to question a kid.  Then things go horribly.  I think I got 0 questions right both times so far.
     Yep. Talking to kids in this game in a royal pain in the ass.  I got 0 questions correct when dealing with the girl in the hospital.

I also had a frustrating experience during a homicide case while questioning a suspect. I'd found the bloody murder weapon and clothes in their apartment. Still, my only option for a question was "What is your alibi?", when I should have asked "Why in the blue fuck do you have this bloody pipe in your apartment, killer?"
    cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cikame

I'm getting pretty much every question wrong.
    Every time it's because someone says something totally normal so i say truth and it's wrong, i have absolutely no evidence to suggest this person is lieing so why would i chose anything else?

If the game wants you to get things wrong then fine but i wish it wouldn't fucking tell me i'm wrong every time, feeling kind of pathetic here.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TomA

I have the same problem. I like the atmosphere and the characters alot, but the actual design of the game is pretty weak. There are multiple instances where I knew what I had to do to expose the suspect, but I don't have the option. It's a game, sure, but if that's the main focus of it, it needs to be better. I've been having problems with the animation as well. The faces look great compared to other games but whenever anything happens that looks non human it jumps out at you and completely throws me out of the illusion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DrMadHatten said:
    I've gotten to the point where I press Lie just to see what they say. Often I press B to back out of it, but if they say something that directly contradicts, then I present the evidence. But just pressing lie to hear what they say is getting really old.
    By the end, this is what I was doing too. Which seems like a really game-y way of approaching the mechanic. It's a shame that it isn't as well-ironed as it probably ought to be. 
    Downsize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Downsize

Just a quick reply,  using the Intuition option during an interrogation,  never rely on the "Ask the Community" option. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TomA said:
    I have the same problem. I like the atmosphere and the characters alot, but the actual design of the game is pretty weak. There are multiple instances where I knew what I had to do to expose the suspect, but I don't have the option. It's a game, sure, but if that's the main focus of it, it needs to be better. I've been having problems with the animation as well. The faces look great compared to other games but whenever anything happens that looks non human it jumps out at you and completely throws me out of the illusion.
    Minor spoilers here, so read at your own risk if you haven't finished, but:

I encountered a really funny bug during a cutscene in which Courtney and Jack confront Cohen in the alleyway. Jack's character model hadn't actually rendered into the cutscene, and was more-or-less invisible, so it took me a long time to realize Cohen's dialogue was directed at two people instead of Courtney and only Courtney. 

At one point Cohen says, in response to Courtney's veiled threats, "So this is your idea of muscle?" And the camera cuts to a shot of what is supposed to be a stoic Jack Kelso. Instead, Jack's fedora floated in the air next to Courtney as though it were suspended by a string from above. 

I lol'd.
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By infininja
    @Slaker117 said:
    You should almost accuse them of lying any time you see them twitching because if you you might have proof for whenever you actually take to prove, something you would never know if you went with doubting what is initially said.
    wut
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Aetheldod

So Im not the only one having this issues .... Im not liking this game much , I also have other stuff against it , as for example why all the shootouts must I kill the criminal why they didnt use the Red Dead redemption limb damage system? I only want to disarm the mofos , not pop their heads all the time , and my god the shooting system is pathetic.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Slaker117
    @Infininja:
    Yeah, that was worded poorly, and I made a typo that kind of ruins it.

What I mean is sometimes when you select "lie" you will accuse the person of something that you weren't talking about before. This means after someone's initial statement, you may see that he is lying, but because you don't have anything to counter what he said, you would go with "doubt" and be wrong, because if you choose "lie", the conversion would move to something else that you can prove. Thus you should always select "lie" when you see that they are withholding because it opens things up more and provides information that you would have never known otherwise, and simply back out if you don't have proper evidence. Hope that explains it better.
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By infininja
    @Slaker117: It explains it better.

It doesn't make it a better game. :p
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Slaker117
    @Infininja: Yeah... That aspect in particular really ruins the idea of the integrations for me, which was probably the most interesting thing the game had, in my eyes at least. Amazing production values, but questionable design at the best.
    JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JokerFrown

Well, you have to actually look at the characters face durring questioning.  If they maintain eye contact with you the whole time, then you can bet they are telling the truth.  If their eyes are darting and shifting around, then they are not being entirely honest with you.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pinworm45

I can't stand how the murders are never explained, either. I'm not far in but for example, the game will have one guys uniform be full of blood and he'll have the murder weapon, but another guy will have some other proof he did it.

It doesn't feel like I'm breaking or solving a logical case. The fact that it's never explained feels like the game is creating an arbitrary case for me to solve that's impossible and I'm just playing a guessing game. What's the point of trying to deduce a case when the writers of the game just made up the pieces of evidence and there IS no case to solve? (note: I don't feel this way about every case, so maybe I'm just doing so bad on some that I never get adequate answers. This doesn't fix anything. It still feels the way I described and is frustrating)

And yeah, getting questions wrong - especially in some cases where I solved the case in my head long before the end, and answered based on those assumptions which were entirely correct - is really frustrating.

That combined with how repetive the game is (investigate question chase someone question car chase) is really lowering my view of the game. On disk 2, I hope this gets better. Not seeing what the rave reviews saw so far.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Slaker117
    @Pinworm45: Yeah, the way the story is contrived makes everything you do feel unsatisfying. I could see some making a case that that is a "noir thing", but I still don't think it's done very well. And the times you do bring someone down definitively it feels like it was presented rather than solved. The game has got significant problems mechanically and structurally.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kjellm87

La Noire is a masterpiece.
    But Phoenix is still the king of crime solving gameplay.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thedj93

Truth is the most obvious; where you believe them to be telling the truth

Doubt is when you know for sure that they are lying but have no evidence; it will usually crack them
    Lie is when you have evidence that they are wrong, with a big penalty if you guess wrong.
    NHLmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NHLmaniac
    @MagikOvenMit@Baren Also you can hear what they said again by pressing O or B before you choose truth doubt or lie. Pressing O or B will take you back to the questions in your notebook where you can ask the sane question again.
    CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By CrimsonNoir
    @DetectiveSpecial said:
    @Vexed said:
     Yep. Talking to kids in this game in a royal pain in the ass.  I got 0 questions correct when dealing with the girl in the hospital.

I also had a frustrating experience during a homicide case while questioning a suspect. I'd found the bloody murder weapon and clothes in their apartment. Still, my only option for a question was "What is your alibi?", when I should have asked "Why in the blue fuck do you have this bloody pipe in your apartment, killer?"
    i thought that girl in the hospital was a lot easier to interview than most. mainly because  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content. the only time i had difficulty with interviewing is telling doubt when it can be confused for sadness and actually truth.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By Jimbo

Just finding the game frustrating to be honest.  Even if I have figured out exactly how the case went down, I still feel like I don't have any idea what the interrogation system wants from me.  The feeling that I'm fighting the interrogation interface the whole time is stopping me from enjoying what would otherwise be a good game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.