Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

Guiding My Way Through L.A. Noire

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By Enigma777

I've learned two things about myself while playing L.A. Noire.

1. I'm so OCD that I have to get the best scenario in a game - no matter how many times it requires me to restart a checkpoint or mission.

2. I'm a very bad detective.

So I restarted the game from the beginning because I lost my save file thinking it would be a breeze to make up the cases I had previously completed. How foolish I was... Here I am 14 hours later and still not even to the halfway point. Mind you I've only done 3 sidecases and most of the driving was done by my partner. Yet I'm still on the homicide desk and it doesn't look like I'll finish it anytime soon. So where did all that time go? Well, to put it bluntly - my compulsiveness. I'm just not capable of finishing a case without getting all of the questions right. At one point I literally found myself restarting the same investigation 7 or 8 times because I couldn't get one of the questions right.

Cole Phelps. Badge twelve-forty-seven

Being a human, I choose not to admit it's my fault, but instead I'll blame the game. Some of the logic used in the cases can get very... fuzzy. This is especially apparent when it comes to lies. When you select "Lie" you have to back it up with evidence using the clues. Normally it's obvious which one to use, but sometimes it's so vague and there's so many answers that could work that it just becomes a process of trial and elimination until you stumble upon the right one. Herein lies my frustration.

It's important to know how to properly strangle a woman

Therefore in the interest of time and my receding hairline, I've decided to commit a great taboo. I've started using a guide while playing the game. In all the decades I've spent as a gamer, this is the first time I've had to resort to such drastic measures (naturally I don't count using an outside Pokedex for the pokemon games) during my first playthrough of a game. On one hand I hate myself for it, but on the other I really don't want to spend 3 hours repeating the same investigation over and over and over and over again because I picked "Doubt" instead of "Lie."

I can only hope that ultimately this doesn't reduce the impact of the story too much when I finally finish the damn thing.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Enigma777

I've learned two things about myself while playing L.A. Noire.

1. I'm so OCD that I have to get the best scenario in a game - no matter how many times it requires me to restart a checkpoint or mission.

2. I'm a very bad detective.

So I restarted the game from the beginning because I lost my save file thinking it would be a breeze to make up the cases I had previously completed. How foolish I was... Here I am 14 hours later and still not even to the halfway point. Mind you I've only done 3 sidecases and most of the driving was done by my partner. Yet I'm still on the homicide desk and it doesn't look like I'll finish it anytime soon. So where did all that time go? Well, to put it bluntly - my compulsiveness. I'm just not capable of finishing a case without getting all of the questions right. At one point I literally found myself restarting the same investigation 7 or 8 times because I couldn't get one of the questions right.

Being a human, I choose not to admit it's my fault, but instead I'll blame the game. Some of the logic used in the cases can get very... fuzzy. This is especially apparent when it comes to lies. When you select "Lie" you have to back it up with evidence using the clues. Normally it's obvious which one to use, but sometimes it's so vague and there's so many answers that could work that it just becomes a process of trial and elimination until you stumble upon the right one. Herein lies my frustration.

Therefore in the interest of time and my receding hairline, I've decided to commit a great taboo. I've started using a guide while playing the game. In all the decades I've spent as a gamer, this is the first time I've had to resort to such drastic measures (naturally I don't count using an outside Pokedex for the pokemon games) during my first playthrough of a game. On one hand I hate myself for it, but on the other I really don't want to spend 3 hours repeating the same investigation over and over and over and over again because I picked "Doubt" instead of "Lie."

I can only hope that ultimately this doesn't reduce the impact of the story too much when I finally finish the damn thing.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

I used a guide for the last desk becaue I was getting bored and just wanted to see where the mess would end up. Didn't feel so bad, felt great getting five stars

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Awww Hitler Pikachu, that's so awesome, and that's all i have to say.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, early on I was really sweating it whenever I'd miss one question and would just restart, but that got old after a few tries. The truth is, the questioning sequences just aren't done very well. I ended up spending a good 20+ hours with the game and decided that really, it's just not even that great. LA Noire's gameplay is actually really weak in just about every area. It's a game you want to enjoy, but it holds your hand way too much and never lets you feel like a real detective. It has a dull rinse and repeat method to it and the driving is such a complete chore. I want to love this game, but even its recreation of Los Angeles doesn't stand out as being all that interesting or spectacular. The game just is nowhere near as good as it should have been.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Enigma777

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

:]

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Red12b
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yup.

The interrogation mechanic is neat in theory, and the tech is undeniable. But it's a shallow dynamic on which to predicate a game, for the exact reasons you stated.

Worse even still, the game's ending renders much of the main action all for naught. So you're going through all this suffering for very little payoff.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Vexxan

I made it through the game using no guide on my first run and on my second play-through I used one in order to ace the game and see what should have happened on the cases I fucked up on. I made my way through the discs(playing on 360) and after scoring 4 stars on two cases on the second last desk despite having all clues and every question correct I just quit the game. The second play-through was already boring as it was and having to do two cases all over again was just out of the question. I'm probably never touching L.A. Noire again.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I didn't have as much trouble with the interrogations but I mainly had problems with some of the logic behind what evidence to use, or sometimes you had to call a lie even if someone didn't know something but you did. All in all it was an alright game but I feel they spent to much time working on the homicide desk, personally I enjoyed traffic and ad vice much more.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Enigma777

@Vegsen said:

I made it through the game using no guide on my first run and on my second play-through I used one in order to ace the game and see what should have happened on the cases I fucked up on. I made my way through the discs(playing on 360) and after scoring 4 stars on two cases on the second last desk despite having all clues and every question correct I just quit the game. The second play-through was already boring as it was and having to do two cases all over again was just out of the question. I'm probably never touching L.A. Noire again.

Yes, I did some of the cases so many times that I basically have everything memorized. There's certainly not that much replay value to the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.