Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

I have 3 MAJOR issues with L.A. Noire (spoilers)

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By Tennmuerti

And they have seriously substracted from my enjoyment of the game :(

At the start it was great, the faces the clues the interrogations!
    Then shit started floating up to the top.

1. Mixed Signals

Now I have read a lot on these boards already how people are having trouble with interrogations, yada yada ...
    Personally interrogations have been mostly going fine for me, a lot of the time I get almost all correct choices, sometimes all correct, sometimes I mess up a lot (usually due to evidence mismatch)
    So you say: dude if you are not having a hard time with interrogations, whats your problem?
    My problem is twofold: when NPCs send you completely false signals and the liberties of the truth/doubt/lie system

Wait wait!
    I know what a lot of people will say: "well some NPCs are crafty and trick you on purpose"
    Or: "doubt is just you putting pressure on them without evidence"
    There are really 2 seperate problems here that honestly by themselves would not have been an issue for me at all if they did not multiply one another.

Problem A:

NPC will be fidgety as fuck, swallowing, glancing to the side. nervous to all hell. And then the correct question turns out to be: TRUTH
    Or the same NPC will state everything with utter conviction and belief, never break eye contact and display all oif the traits that other NPCs have when they tell the truth, correct question: DOUBT 

Promblem B:

Truth is not truth, it is interpreted very very liberaly, sometimes you just passively agree with the person, sometimes you ACTUALLY DOUBT them in your statement after choosing truth... fuck me sideways!
    Doubt is not doubt, most of the time it's just you being a dick and putting pressure on the person to get them to break, and by god it varies insanely how you do it, sometimes you are gentle as a snowflake when trying to hint that they are not telling everything, other times you are practically verbally beating the person up.

Here is the fun part:

An argument can be made that the NPC is a crafty motherfucker OR that: dude you simply read the signals wrong!
    However I present to you the case of the Bowling Alley Mechanic that you interview during homicide desk. Why him?
    Because his question/answer session allows us to easily see when he was indeed being honest and dishonest.
    1. We ask the mechanic a question.
    2. He is sweating out of his ass, nervous, evasive.
    3. We choose doubt.
    4. You go apeshit on him and he clams up. Telling you to basically fuck off.
    5. Reload
    6. This time we choose TRUTH.
    7. Phelps still does not believe him fully and prods for more info.
    8. Bowling Mechanic CONFIRMS in his words that he was LYING to us.
    9. Truth choice was correct and we get a tick.

FUCK YOU.
    SERIOUSLY. 
    I'm no longer trying to guess what the suspect is actually thinking/knows.
    I'm tired of playing the guessing game with the dude who was designing the interrogations.

2. Homicide desk is a JOKE (spoilers)

The second time a temporary bartender was mentioned I knew he was the killer.
    Third time I saw a bar matchbook, it was confirmed in my mind 100%
    And Phelps was still stumbling around like a blind mofo.

By second or third case it can already be seen that everytime there is at least 2 suspects.
    Suspects leave their bloody tools in their homes.
    Both suspects have access to the same rope used in murder.
    OH COME THE FUCK ON!

While doing the Homicide desk I felt like controlling children playing in the sand, buliding sandcastles.
    All evidence was drip fed to your detectives like to vegetables on life suspension.
    You were picking breadcrumbs left to you by the nasty old witch.
    Enough metaphors?

Almost every piece of evidence collected was given to you on purpose by the BD, and your dudes are eating it up.
    Sure Phelps voices his doubts at the start of each case, but then proceeds to just go along with the blatant evidence.

Cherry on top:

The end of Homicide desk is as unclimactic as it can possibly be.
    Phelps is like: "yo we just need to wait and eventually the BD will slip up"
    Guess what, BD never slips up.
    He just fucking tells you: "yo im in the church come cap my ass"
    You go where BD tells you to go like a nice little sheep that you are and cap his ass.
    The end.

Never in the entire Homicide desk did you actually solve a single murder case.
    All of your arrests are a joke and BD might have as well just come to the station to get arrested.

3. Liar liar pants on fire!

Every single person you talk to will try to hide info or lie to you at least once.
    Why?
    Fuck if I know.
    Even when the person has nothing real to gain by lying or not telling something to the police investigator, they stil act as if they just want to mess with you, you know for kicks.
    Some situations I flat out put down the controller and laughted.

1. Landlady allows you to go up the the victims room to investigate.
    2. You find a broken window.
    3. Ask landlady about the break in.
    3. Landlady tells you she doesn't know anything.
    4. What the fuck you stupid cunt! You KNOW I have just been upstairs, why why would you lie about the window! You want to protect your reputation you say? I WAS JUST UPSTAIRS WHERE YOU SENT ME AND YOU KNOW THAT I SAW THE BROKEN WINDOW ........................ 
    /sigh

Oh and pro tip:  Stop lying to me about your shoe size, I don't care how small your dick is.

THE END.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Tennmuerti

And they have seriously substracted from my enjoyment of the game :(

At the start it was great, the faces the clues the interrogations!
    Then shit started floating up to the top.

1. Mixed Signals

Now I have read a lot on these boards already how people are having trouble with interrogations, yada yada ...
    Personally interrogations have been mostly going fine for me, a lot of the time I get almost all correct choices, sometimes all correct, sometimes I mess up a lot (usually due to evidence mismatch)
    So you say: dude if you are not having a hard time with interrogations, whats your problem?
    My problem is twofold: when NPCs send you completely false signals and the liberties of the truth/doubt/lie system

Wait wait!
    I know what a lot of people will say: "well some NPCs are crafty and trick you on purpose"
    Or: "doubt is just you putting pressure on them without evidence"
    There are really 2 seperate problems here that honestly by themselves would not have been an issue for me at all if they did not multiply one another.

Problem A:

NPC will be fidgety as fuck, swallowing, glancing to the side. nervous to all hell. And then the correct question turns out to be: TRUTH
    Or the same NPC will state everything with utter conviction and belief, never break eye contact and display all oif the traits that other NPCs have when they tell the truth, correct question: DOUBT 

Promblem B:

Truth is not truth, it is interpreted very very liberaly, sometimes you just passively agree with the person, sometimes you ACTUALLY DOUBT them in your statement after choosing truth... fuck me sideways!
    Doubt is not doubt, most of the time it's just you being a dick and putting pressure on the person to get them to break, and by god it varies insanely how you do it, sometimes you are gentle as a snowflake when trying to hint that they are not telling everything, other times you are practically verbally beating the person up.

Here is the fun part:

An argument can be made that the NPC is a crafty motherfucker OR that: dude you simply read the signals wrong!
    However I present to you the case of the Bowling Alley Mechanic that you interview during homicide desk. Why him?
    Because his question/answer session allows us to easily see when he was indeed being honest and dishonest.
    1. We ask the mechanic a question.
    2. He is sweating out of his ass, nervous, evasive.
    3. We choose doubt.
    4. You go apeshit on him and he clams up. Telling you to basically fuck off.
    5. Reload
    6. This time we choose TRUTH.
    7. Phelps still does not believe him fully and prods for more info.
    8. Bowling Mechanic CONFIRMS in his words that he was LYING to us.
    9. Truth choice was correct and we get a tick.

FUCK YOU.
    SERIOUSLY. 
    I'm no longer trying to guess what the suspect is actually thinking/knows.
    I'm tired of playing the guessing game with the dude who was designing the interrogations.

2. Homicide desk is a JOKE (spoilers)

The second time a temporary bartender was mentioned I knew he was the killer.
    Third time I saw a bar matchbook, it was confirmed in my mind 100%
    And Phelps was still stumbling around like a blind mofo.

By second or third case it can already be seen that everytime there is at least 2 suspects.
    Suspects leave their bloody tools in their homes.
    Both suspects have access to the same rope used in murder.
    OH COME THE FUCK ON!

While doing the Homicide desk I felt like controlling children playing in the sand, buliding sandcastles.
    All evidence was drip fed to your detectives like to vegetables on life suspension.
    You were picking breadcrumbs left to you by the nasty old witch.
    Enough metaphors?

Almost every piece of evidence collected was given to you on purpose by the BD, and your dudes are eating it up.
    Sure Phelps voices his doubts at the start of each case, but then proceeds to just go along with the blatant evidence.

Cherry on top:

The end of Homicide desk is as unclimactic as it can possibly be.
    Phelps is like: "yo we just need to wait and eventually the BD will slip up"
    Guess what, BD never slips up.
    He just fucking tells you: "yo im in the church come cap my ass"
    You go where BD tells you to go like a nice little sheep that you are and cap his ass.
    The end.

Never in the entire Homicide desk did you actually solve a single murder case.
    All of your arrests are a joke and BD might have as well just come to the station to get arrested.

3. Liar liar pants on fire!

Every single person you talk to will try to hide info or lie to you at least once.
    Why?
    Fuck if I know.
    Even when the person has nothing real to gain by lying or not telling something to the police investigator, they stil act as if they just want to mess with you, you know for kicks.
    Some situations I flat out put down the controller and laughted.

1. Landlady allows you to go up the the victims room to investigate.
    2. You find a broken window.
    3. Ask landlady about the break in.
    3. Landlady tells you she doesn't know anything.
    4. What the fuck you stupid cunt! You KNOW I have just been upstairs, why why would you lie about the window! You want to protect your reputation you say? I WAS JUST UPSTAIRS WHERE YOU SENT ME AND YOU KNOW THAT I SAW THE BROKEN WINDOW ........................ 
    /sigh

Oh and pro tip:  Stop lying to me about your shoe size, I don't care how small your dick is.

THE END.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I had no idea it was the bartender, and I was confused when I found out it was.

I guess I just wasn't paying close attention :P

By the way, I thought Vice was more interesting than homicide, even though there's less cases.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mfpantst

ps- maybe the homocide desk is designed to FUCK your mind.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By MEATBALL

Kind of stopped bothering to read at the first sign of all-caps.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

I'm with you. I just finished it last night, realized that it was more of a movie rental than a game, and decided to trade it back to Amazon. 

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By YoThatLimp

I kind of agree with most of your points, but I still dig this game. The three questions should have been: 

1. Prod for info 2. Insult them for info 3. Got you fucker!

Avatar image for deactivated-60339640361ae
    deactivated-60339640361ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured the bartender out pretty early and it made the homicide desk insanely annoying.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

They really need to put some more thought into the Truth, Doubt, Lie system.  A lot of games seem to have this problem with the shortened dialogue options, where you don't really know what your character is going to do until after they start berating a person mercilessly when you were trying to be sly.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I agree with all your points, they've soured me on the game. It's very well-made in the relatively unimportant areas but the mechanics are sucky for the reasons you mentioned, amongst others. Also the last desk and its plot events are boring.

PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PaulRevere

I completely agree. After a certain point, I got super confused on interrogations. You pick truth and Cole doubts the person, you pick doubt and he just yells at them. It should say: Ask followup, Rough up the suspect, or Here's why you're wrong. And yes, homicide is a bunch of running around for no reason and every guy in this game has tiny ass feet.

That being said, I still really like this game.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @Tennmuerti said:

Problem A:

True but just because the way the suspect acts isn't what you'd expect gives it more realism, i mean they could be just nervous. Id say the interrogation is to combine more than one point. For example if you ask someone a question and they give you an answer that fits with the evidence you have but are still a little figity then calling truth is OK, in the same sense of them playing it calm but giving you info  that doesn't match the evidence. The whole deal with the homicide desk I think is that they wanted to connect all murders to one person in the story but had no real way of allowing you to progress to the next without charging someone for the previous murder making some of the obvious choices just plain wrong although after teh first 2 chicks are killed int eh same way you can be pretty sure its not the poor dude you've left to rot in the cell from the previous murder. Besides, any game that lets you sit down and scream in the face of little kids about how ther mother is dead and they are liars is pretty awesome.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I've never gotten mixed signals before. And I'm not sure I consider 2 and 3 major issues.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I disagree.  

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mfpantst
    @PrivateIronTFU: I think @Tennmuerti: is a poor arbiter of the truth.  I think that's the problem.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#15  Edited By Soap

I agree with pretty much all of your points. 

For me the worst offender was when doubting someone would lead to him jumping down there neck and being incredibly rude when I had no intention of ever accusing them of being a suspect.  

I think calling it Truth, Doubt and Lie is to broad, I would of much preferred if they had given me more in depth options such as riling them up on purpose or sweet talking e.t.c 

Having said all that, it didn't really stop me enjoying the game which has to be a good indicator of just how fucking amazing the rest of it was. 

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    I've never gotten mixed signals before. And I'm not sure I consider 2 and 3 major issues.
    @mfpantst said:
    @PrivateIronTFU: I think @Tennmuerti: is a poor arbiter of the truth.  I think that's the problem.
    Except that I have provided a specific example, where the person is lying, and if you select truth, Phelps instead of believing the character prods him further, and the said character confirms to you directly that he was lying. But you still get the tick for Truth as the correct answer.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    @mfpantst said:
    Except that I have provided a specific example, where the person is lying, and if you select truth, Phelps instead of believing the character prods him further, and the said character confirms to you directly that he was lying. But you still get the tick for Truth as the correct answer.
    The only problem I have with that example though, is that I remember interrogating the bowling alley mechanic, and not once was Truth a correct answer.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    @mfpantst said:
    The only problem I have with that example though, is that I remember interrogating the bowling alley mechanic, and not once was Truth a correct answer.
    There was one, first or second question I believe.
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mfpantst
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    @mfpantst said:
    I feel like we totally lost you in this line of questioning.  Must have chosen truth once too many.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FancySoapsMan said:
    By the way, I thought Vice was more interesting than homicide, even though there's less cases.
    Yeah Vice was much more interesting, not just in the cases but in terms of atmosphere and story as well. Homicide went on too long, got too repetitive and wasn't particularly fascinating to me. 
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    @mfpantst said:
    Is there another mechanic that you interrogate or are you talking about the Studio Secretary Murder case? 
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ajamafalous

Yeah, this is pretty much what I expected the game to boil down to. Shame to see everyone else agrees.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @PrivateIronTFU: It's the last Homicide case before the BD nonsense with letters. Woman who is drunk and killed in the train yard.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Yanngc33

What bugs me the most is the game's logic when it comes to the dialog. Never know when to lie or doubt

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @PrivateIronTFU: It's the last Homicide case before the BD nonsense with letters. Woman who is drunk and killed in the train yard.
    Truth is never the right answer when you're interrogating that guy. As far as I know. And according to the IGN walkthrough.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:
    Yeah, this is pretty much what I expected the game to boil down to. Shame to see everyone else agrees.
    This might be pushing it a little…
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By natetodamax

I actually didn't suspect any bartender of any kind during the homicide case. 

@drag said:

@FancySoapsMan said:
    Yeah Vice was much more interesting, not just in the cases but in terms of atmosphere and story as well. Homicide went on too long, got too repetitive and wasn't particularly fascinating to me. 
    I disagree. I liked investigating dead bodies much more than morphine, even if that sounds kinda messed up. Also, I wanted to kill Roy Earl during every single case. There is not one redeemable quality about him.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#28  Edited By alistercat
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    I disagree.  
    This is all I shall say as well.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shirogane
    @natetodamax said:

I actually didn't suspect any bartender of any kind during the homicide case. 

@drag said:

@FancySoapsMan said:

I disagree. I liked investigating dead bodies much more than morphine, even if that sounds kinda messed up. Also, I wanted to kill Roy Earl during every single case. There is not one redeemable quality about him.

If it's any consolation, in my game, Roy got shot up like hell everytime we ened up in a gunfight. Man, what is that guy? Some immortal god? He must've taken more than 50 bullets during those fights.
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By FlyingRat

Last homicide case was actually my favorite case in the game.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Vinny_Says

Being a police is hard, most people hate you even when they've done nothing. I also figured out the bartender was the killer when he was mentioned a second time but that did not detract from the experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.