Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

I just beat L.A. Noire

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fishinwithguns

I think there is a problem with Rockstar games or maybe just any story-driven game.  They're supposed to have a cinematic feel and have strong narratives like a movie, and in many cases it's successful.  However, I don't know about any of you, but I finish all movies in a single sitting but never any games.  I'm actually surprised I beat this game so quickly (and kinda disappointed honestly).  This game was very engaging.  It seems like I play most games in 30-60 minute increments, but I lost track of time the night I started playing this game and estimate almost three hours of play time with no interruptions.  The next few days I played it in shorter bursts.  Today I got far enough along in the story where I thought "I could be really close to the end" but usually when I start thinking that in games I'm further from the end then I realize, and that the game isn't ending but rather moving on to its final act.  Movies have a simple structure, and it's easy to know what the climactic scene is, even if it's anti-climactic.  Game narratives are sometimes more disorienting, I played L.A. Noire more today than the last few days because I became really engrossed in the story, but I had no idea that what I was playing through was the final "scene" so to speak.  I think it was a fitting end, I just wasn't expecting it to be the very end.  So that's my big complaint, that it ended too quickly, OR I just wasn't paying attention enough to know where I was exactly in the story.  And if this game has several different outcomes, mine certainly wasn't ideal.

I'll admit I got really sloppy near the end of the game, I was having flashbacks to playing Phoenix Wright and doing even worse in that game.  My friend who was further along in the game watched me play some and he noticed several instances where action and dialogue sequences played out differently than when he played through them.  I feel like playing through it again but I can't help but feel like I'd just repeat the same mistakes instead of noticing opportunities I missed, because it's not always easy in L.A. Noire to notice that you've fucked up, but when you do it's kinda hard to know exactly why you fucked up.

Is it worth playing through again?  Was anybody else disappointed by their ending (I'm assuming there are multiple subtle variations)?

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By bwooduhs

There is only the one ending in the game.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

I rarely replay through a story.

SuperBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SuperBuster

As I understand it, the reason there is more than one way a case plays out is so you can miss any number of clues or interview questions yet still continue the story. So, while some superficial changes might occur depending on how well you perform on a case, there will always only be one story. If you really want to replay cases to see how they pan out differently go ahead but you will never change the ending no matter what you do.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fishinwithguns

damn, that sucks...I mean like I said I got really sloppy near the end of the game, which usually lengthens the time you spend on a case, so even with all that extra questioning an clue searching I still thought it came up short.  That's really the only flaw in the game, I don't like how the story ends up and it gets there too quickly.  Once the PS Store is back online I guess I get on extra exclusive case for free, but other than that the only reason I have for not selling this game right away is so I can finish all the street crime side missions, which are mediocre to somewhat fun in my opinion, so I dunno.  I'm glad I got the game but now I feel like I'd have a better time if I opted for Mortal Kombat instead.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

Man really? I got over 20 hours out of the game when I finished. Did maybe half the street crimes at some point (which averages to about one per case). 

Still, I could see the ending coming maybe two cases ahead, everything concluded pretty well. 

I like the ending, it has a certain subtlety to delivering it's message, at least for games. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.