Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

I would like another game like this one.

VictorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I just recently went back and played through this game after finishing it once more than three years ago. It is still very good. I love the setting, the varied cases and cool characters.

It is sad to think that this game will probably never get a sequel.

Los Angeles was great, but i also think that Miami in the 1980s (Yes, very much a setting similar to Miami Vice which we all love.) would suit this style of game. Or perhaps San Fransisco in the 70s, or maybe Chicago in the 50s or 60s. Even the 90s are by know an era that would be fun to go back to, so I say New York in that time period as well. But there are so many cities, countries and possibilities!

What kind of city and era would you like a possible sequel to take place?

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

20's Chicago, take down all those rummy mob bastards! Though, if they went to Victorian London, and we solve crimes while trying to track Jack the Ripper (like the Black Dahlia case in LA)? That has tons of potential.

Also, I should totally replay LA Noire. It was pretty great.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By meptron

Biggest draw of l.a. noire was the amazing facial animations, which were ahead of their time. But since then, other games caught up with the power of the new systems behind them. Even advanced warfare has facial animations on par with what l.a. noire offered. So the question is, could an l.a. noire do it again? Surpass what current gens games are doing with facial animations? Or just have an equivilant level of detail but do something better with the cases and detective work to make the game stand out from a gameplay perspective?

Edit: Some of the Team Bondi folks were working on a new game that was tentatively being called Whore of the Orient. It was going to take place in 1930's Shanghai which would be a neat setting. I don't think the game is still being worked on though.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

No thanks. L.A. Noire was a poorly designed puzzle game with a gimmick and a fairly bad plot and characterization, especially of the main hero. I would up again for that sort of atmosphere it wanted to have, but I don't keep my hopes too high.

@meptron: The facial animations of L.A. Noire were hardly that ahead of the time due to how limited that technology was. You could have only one face in motion at the time - which is why the whole game has very static shots with only one character on the screen at the time if it's possible and why your partner rarely ever interjects or even gets involved in conversations. Plus, it was coupled with subpar motion capture, which made those facial animations stand out against the robotic mocap.

So yeah, not really, it was a gimmick at best.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@ghostiet said:

No thanks. L.A. Noire was a poorly designed puzzle game with a gimmick and a fairly bad plot and characterization, especially of the main hero. I would up again for that sort of atmosphere it wanted to have, but I don't keep my hopes too high.

@meptron: The facial animations of L.A. Noire were hardly that ahead of the time due to how limited that technology was. You could have only one face in motion at the time - which is why the whole game has very static shots with only one character on the screen at the time if it's possible and why your partner rarely ever interjects or even gets involved in conversations. Plus, it was coupled with subpar motion capture, which made those facial animations stand out against the robotic mocap.

So yeah, not really, it was a gimmick at best.

Yup, I agree completely. It makes a great first impression, but it doesn't take much scrutiny for it all to come crumbling apart.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I hated it so bad.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

Shit, a lot of hate for this game. I actually enjoyed it a lot, in fact, aside from the poor ending it was a great fucking game.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

@ghostiet: they definitely had to cut things down so that they could put more system resources behind the facial animations. They had to "strong arm it". But they were dealing with last-gen hardware, and couldn't do what they wanted any other way. No other game on the system, at the time, could show expression and emotion like L.A. Noire. It may have been gimmicky and it doesn't hold up well when compared to modern games, but it was well ahead of it's time in that one way.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@victork said:

I just recently went back and played through this game after finishing it once more than three years ago. It is still very good. I love the setting, the varied cases and cool characters.

It is sad to think that this game will probably never get a sequel.

Los Angeles was great, but i also think that Miami in the 1980s (Yes, very much a setting similar to Miami Vice which we all love.) would suit this style of game. Or perhaps San Fransisco in the 70s, or maybe Chicago in the 50s or 60s. Even the 90s are by know an era that would be fun to go back to, so I say New York in that time period as well. But there are so many cities, countries and possibilities!

What kind of city and era would you like a possible sequel to take place?

Have you tried the recent Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment? While it doesn't really offer the face-detail of L.A. Noire, or the beloved adherence to setting and place, it really scratches that mystery-solving itch in a pretty cool, sometimes singular way.

Avatar image for deactivated-598d846d3a52a
    deactivated-598d846d3a52a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Loved this game. Wasn't perfect and at times lost it's momentum, but as somebody who loves that time period, and the artistic design, I found it to be a really fun ride. Plus Cole Phelps was hilarious because of his sudden change in personality.

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a Bladerunner game with LA Noire Mechanics

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I want a new one if it isn't awful.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I really enjoyed this game and would also like to see a sequel. I had beefs with the original but they are largely small fries. Amazing rendition of the setting was nearly worth playing the game for me. Especially them cars.

Plus Cole Phelps was hilarious because of his sudden change in personality.

So many great Nicolas Cage level moments of personality change from quiet to NUTS.

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the DLC, but I got sick of inspecting dead girls in the main campaign.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yes please, I absolutely adore thus game and if they fixed some minor things it would easily have been one of my favorite games ever

Kazzenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it less and less as I continued playing but I would be down for another.

I would prefer a stoner noir game and I'm surprised nobody (to my knowledge) has made one.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By cornbredx

The problem with LA Noire, imo, is that it's open world without needing to be. It's fine as an adventure game, otherwise. I rather enjoyed the Noir aspect of the game and I am also a firm believer that the game must be played in Black and White to be played correctly. It's a fun game in the same way a film from that era that this game was homaging is fun to watch.

Some similar games that are new: Sherlock Holmes (Crimes and Punishments?) which I haven't played yet, but seems pretty good for that detective/crime solving stuff. I just started playing Murdered Soul Suspect, and that also has some aspects too. I suspect it gets bogged down by the supernatural aspect at some point later on, though.

Anyway, ya. There's a few games out there like this one. This won't get a sequel if not only because of it's troubled development, but also because it was quite expensive for it's return. It's an interesting experiment and an Adventure game I quite enjoyed, none the less.

That face tech is still pretty incredible.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

I don't think that it was as good as it could have been but I still really enjoyed it. I loved the investigate the crime scene stuff but didn't like the main character or the overarching story as much.

I have always wanted a police game along the lines of SWAT 4 where you can't just go in guns blazing. You have to announce your presence, ask them to surrender, if they do then cuff and search them. The closest I have ever got is the old Police Quest games which I LOVED. Would be thrilled if the decided to make a modern reboot of those games.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By handlas

Oi the hate. I really liked it as well. Also liked the character change mid-game. The puzzles, shooting and interrogation felt kind of thin... sounds like that should be a bad game... but it all fit together into a package that was entertaining and enjoyable to play.

And I can't think of another game that is like it. So that's probably why I enjoyed it so much.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'd definitely be down with that. I had a real good time with LA Noire, flaws and all.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

20's Chicago, take down all those rummy mob bastards! Though, if they went to Victorian London, and we solve crimes while trying to track Jack the Ripper (like the Black Dahlia case in LA)? That has tons of potential.

Also, I should totally replay LA Noire. It was pretty great.

20s Chicago would be great a la The Untouchables. I would actually prefer 60s London to Victorian era. Lots of opportunity for crazy/deviant cases.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nope .... its best if we leave it at that

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: Now that's a criticism I'll agree with, the open world is mostly dead. I mostly had my partner drive me places so I could listen to him, since there was nothing else to do. They could even keep the smaller crimes to respond to, just let you pick em from a menu. It's not like they didn't take you to little self-contained missions when you got to them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.