Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

In bombcast , it seems the dudes were impressed by

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Aetheldod

the tech and acting , thus hampering their critique of the games flaws , even more glaring was Brad saying that there is a lot to do in the game .... really? Like what? Boring "petty crimes" ?collecting things (the same old same old) and that is it , nothing else to do? Yes the tech is fine but the gameplay is awful and boring. Yet they barely touched the games bugs , but that is bread and butter of "open world games". No word on the awful fighting , the stupidity that is shooting a criminal but the game unti you reach a certain mark it would let you kill him. The list goes on. They put critique on the witcher 2 , which seems fair but they dont do that to LA Noir .... sigh

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

The gameplay is not awful or boring. Quite the opposite, I think.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CL60
    @natetodamax said:
    I agree with this.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By hatking

I feel like opinions were voiced.  Ryan said that he wished the game weren't open world.  They made fun of the stupid pointless collectibles, as well.  Vinny mentioned the hard swings that happen during conversations, which Ryan supported.  They seemed to enjoy the rest of the game, as do I. 

You're entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy, but you don't see a new "this game is awesome" thread popping up every day.  I don't get why this is necessary to go over again and again.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Maybe they  were referring to the fact that the main story is considerably lengthy.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

They had a fair bit of criticism for L.A. Noire's balance bits and occasional driving hiccups. In case you missed it, they happened to say that the Witcher 2 seemed like a deep universe, a great looking game that impressed all of them, and seemed like a great game overall. All they had to say negative about it seemed to be surrounded around the combat. I'm sorry you don't like L.A. Noire, but don't let that keep you from actually hearing what the guys actually say about the games they talk about.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aetheldod

Ok fair , it seems I have poked about disliking this game too much , I will not do it any longer. Perhaps all of you are right and I am seeing mistakes and bad stuff were there isn't any , it not the first time I dislike a highly regarded game (like Zelda games) , but most of those times I can say that the games is not at fault but me , but somehow with LA Noir I can't. Cool dudes I won't bother you anymore with this :)

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Aetheldod said:
    Ok fair , it seems I have poked about disliking this game too much , I will not do it any longer. Perhaps all of you are right and I am seeing mistakes and bad stuff were there isn't any , it not the first time I dislike a highly regarded game (like Zelda games) , but most of those times I can say that the games is not at fault but me , but somehow with LA Noir I can't. Cool dudes I won't bother you anymore with this :)
    It may be possible that different people can have different opinions about the same game. Just a thought.
    Wykillin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Wykillin

L.A. Noire is Shenmue done right.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By sjschmidt93

The driving, fighting, and shooting is fairly competent. No, it's not the best, but it's not the main focus of the game.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Maajin
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    The driving, fighting, and shooting is fairly competent. No, it's not the best, but it's not the main focus of the game.
    Yes, and even though the investigation and interrogation part isn't perfect either, it feels fresh enough and the story is interesting enough to make this a very remarkable game.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SSully
    @Aetheldod said:
    Hey man you are not the first person to hate a game like this. I know for a fact I have done it with plenty of games. Maybe adventure games just aren't your thing? Because without the open world this game is essentially monkey island with amazing facial animations. Obviously that was a gross exageration on my part, but it is a straight up adventure game. 
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says

I keep seeing you in LA Noire forums, we get it you don't like the game....you're allowed to voice your opinion, but on every thread of the game? c'mon!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aetheldod
    @SSully:  Oh no , I like adventure games , I really like Monkey Island. Other ones I've liked are Loom , Maniac Mansion Day of the Tentacle , Indiana Jones & The fall of Atlantis , Machinarium , and here was a RobinHood game by Sierra  ... I really liked that one. 

@blacklabeldomm: You are right , I have transformed into those dudes that bashed my beloved Dragon Age 2 :(  and this was the drop that spilled the bucket....
     While hunting for beasts I became the beast
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArchScabby
    @CL60 said:
    @natetodamax said:
    I agree with this.
    I agree with you agreeing with this.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm curious if Jeff will like it.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @ArchScabby said:
    @CL60 said:
    @natetodamax said:
    I agree with this.
    I agree with you agreeing with him agreeing with this. 

I just ruined it, didn't I?
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By cstrang
    @ArchScabby said:
    @CL60 said:
    @natetodamax said:
    I agree with this.
    I agree with these dudes.

The game isn't without its quirks, but it delivers a fantastic story with some of the best atmosphere ever.  I loved the story, complete with the typical over-complicated Noire twists and turns.
    Apollo87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Apollo87

I think it still depends on what kind of games you do and don't like, personally while I can see a lot of good things done in LA Noire I still don't think it's a game for me, besides it's just live some people have said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and a game that has 5 stars doesn't mean it's not without it's flaws.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Kyreo
    @RE_Player92 said:
    I bet he will.  It's not about guns, so he can't say old guns suck about this one too.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Addfwyn

I think the people that dislike it, largely were expecting something else.  Not that you can`t dislike it for totally legit reasons, but I was initially writing this one off cause I thought it was something it wasn`t (an actual open world game like RDR or GTA, games which I frankly do not like at all).  If you go into LA Noire expecting an open world with tons to do on the side, you will probably be disappointed.  I was pleasantly surprised, cause I found that it was really only superficially an open-world game, and more a detective-adventure game (which is something I absolutely love).  I`d prefer maybe a little more Heavy Rain-ness in consequences and branching story paths, but overall I am well pleased.   

Brad was pretty accurate in that you can play it w/o driving around the open world at all really, I basically have opted to skip those every time, because I just don`t have any interest in open worlds.  Move me linearly from set piece to set piece, and I`m a happy camper.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22  Edited By JasonR86

The NERVE!!!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Slaker117
    @RE_Player92 said:
    This is kind of a shitty thing to say, but I hope he doesn't, simply because I would like to hear some dissenting opinion from a professional on what I feel is a deeply flawed game. Of course, everyone is allowed to like whatever they want, but it can be frustrating to hear all of them agree in praising LA Noire when I feel so differently about it. I don't want to be a hater, it would just be nice if Jeff could serve as an avatar in the conversation for those disappointed.
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By HydraHam

it's all subjective, what you find boring i find intriguing and fun, i found the gameplay to be extremely fun, the style and interrogations/storylines intriguing and didn't find anything about the game (so far) boring. Sure.. the game has it's faults but like i said before what doesn't? and i find the tech/facial stuff to be absolutely incredible and at times mind blowing. But.. i am with ryan on the open world, it didn't need it. Maybe in a sequel when they master the craft i just feel the city was there but not. (if that makes sense)

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By mfpantst
    @Aetheldod said:
    @SSully:  Oh no , I like adventure games , I really like Monkey Island. Other ones I've liked are Loom , Maniac Mansion Day of the Tentacle , Indiana Jones & The fall of Atlantis , Machinarium , and here was a RobinHood game by Sierra  ... I really liked that one. 

@blacklabeldomm: You are right , I have transformed into those dudes that bashed my beloved Dragon Age 2 :(  and this was the drop that spilled the bucket.... While hunting for beasts I became the beast
    Wait- what, you're complaining about this game And yet you look down on people who don't necessarily like Dragon Age 2?  I think anything you say from this point on should come with an immediate disclaimer:

"I really liked dragon age 2 and saw no flaw with it, yet hated LA Noire"
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aetheldod
    @mfpantst
    i never said DA2 does not have problems.
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By mfpantst
    @Aetheldod: No, sorry I have no clue your stance.  Was just making a point- which you seem to already have gotten.  There may be games some people really like and some people really don't like.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShaneDev

I think they were pretty fair with it, except when Brad said there was so much to do. I assume he meant on cases and interviews because outside of that the street crime events were a little boring and everything else is pointless collectible stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.