Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

Is anyone else reminded of the Police Quest series?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By FrankCanada97

One of my first PC games I remember playing was the 256 colour VGA remake of Sierra's Police Quest. Being the young child that I was, I almost immediately got game over by failing to sit down during a police briefing. I recently got back into playing all games in the police quest series. The games in the series were basically point and click adventures, but with a strict adherence to police procedure. The last proper Police Quest game was released in the early 90's. Going back and playing the games I often wonder if a police procedural adventure would transfer well into today's HD video gaming market.

I expect a lot of this in LA Noire, except this time it's in HD!

Seeing the development of L.A. Noire I am struck by some similarities. You play a simple beat cop who rises to a higher position in the police department. This would always involve some major criminal plot. There are also the intricate details of police work; interviewing suspects, finding clues, examining your surroundings. I always thought that a new Police Quest game would be too boring for the average gamer to sit through. But with news of LA Noire coming out. I realize that this is the closest I'll ever get to an HD Police Quest game. Sure it looks to have a lot of action and shooting, but there is also the intricacies of good police work present. There are not many games out there that have you wearing the police uniform.

That said, I'm certain LA Noire won't be so strict in regards to following police procedure:

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FrankCanada97

One of my first PC games I remember playing was the 256 colour VGA remake of Sierra's Police Quest. Being the young child that I was, I almost immediately got game over by failing to sit down during a police briefing. I recently got back into playing all games in the police quest series. The games in the series were basically point and click adventures, but with a strict adherence to police procedure. The last proper Police Quest game was released in the early 90's. Going back and playing the games I often wonder if a police procedural adventure would transfer well into today's HD video gaming market.

Seeing the development of L.A. Noire I am struck by some similarities. You play a simple beat cop who rises to a higher position in the police department. This would always involve some major criminal plot. There are also the intricate details of police work; interviewing suspects, finding clues, examining your surroundings. I always thought that a new Police Quest game would be too boring for the average gamer to sit through. But with news of LA Noire coming out. I realize that this is the closest I'll ever get to an HD Police Quest game. Sure it looks to have a lot of action and shooting, but there is also the intricacies of good police work present. There are not many games out there that have you wearing the police uniform.

That said, I'm certain LA Noire won't be so strict in regards to following police procedure:

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I actually bought the Police Quest series a couple of weeks ago (it's on GOG).

I can't really give you my opinion since I haven't played it yet though.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @FancySoapsMan: Be prepared for a lot of frustration. The games are pretty anal about following correct protocol.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

never played it

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mrfizzy

Ugh yes!!! Have always thought that sort of game would do well with a modern version. Who knows, maybe this game will start a trend.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Maajin
    danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By danimal_furry

I was thinking the same thing. It's not exactly the same, but there is a slight feel of Police Quest.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @mrfizzy said:
    " Ugh yes!!! Have always thought that sort of game would do well with a modern version. Who knows, maybe this game will start a trend. "
    I hope so, I'll jump on those sort of games in a heartbeat.
    @danimal_furry said:
    " I was thinking the same thing. It's not exactly the same, but there is a slight feel of Police Quest. "
    Yeah, but at the same time I hope the investigative aspects of L.A. Noire heavily outweigh the shooting parts. Also, it would be nice to have the ability to talk down gun-wielding suspects, instead of just gunning them down.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " @FancySoapsMan: Be prepared for a lot of frustration. The games are pretty anal about following correct protocol. "
    Wasn't a former police officer involved in their design?
    danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By danimal_furry
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " @mrfizzy said:
    " Ugh yes!!! Have always thought that sort of game would do well with a modern version. Who knows, maybe this game will start a trend. "
    I hope so, I'll jump on those sort of games in a heartbeat.
    @danimal_furry said:
    " I was thinking the same thing. It's not exactly the same, but there is a slight feel of Police Quest. "
    Yeah, but at the same time I hope the investigative aspects of L.A. Noire heavily outweigh the shooting parts. Also, it would be nice to have the ability to talk down gun-wielding suspects, instead of just gunning them down. "

It's LA, dude. There's no way a policeman is going to try to take the "talk down" option.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ProfessorEss

Yeah I can get that.

Those Police Quest games were tits.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Gabriel

Really only played the Kings Quest games from Sierra (and the excellent Colonel's Bequest).

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Hailinel said:

" @FrankCanada97 said:

" @FancySoapsMan: Be prepared for a lot of frustration. The games are pretty anal about following correct protocol. "
    Wasn't a former police officer involved in their design? "
    Yup Jim Walls, former CHP officer was their producer up to Police Quest 3.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jimbo

Absolutely, and not just the theme.  If you watch the animation in the gameplay trailer, you can see when it switches not very subtley from the regular-looking idle animation into one of their awesome-looking pre-recorded ones, which totally reminded me of the hard cuts in SWAT 1's FMV.

Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Godot
    @theplatypus said:
    " Only played Police Quest 4, the FMV-ish one, long time ago. Found a dead kid in a dumpster. Scarred me for life. "
    I can see why! Christ, that music gave me a start; if I'd had the sound up any higher I might have had a heart attack haha.
    AlphaCentauri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By AlphaCentauri
    SWAT 3 was great, loved the online co-op.
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Deeveeus
    @Hailinel said:

" @FrankCanada97 said:

Chief Darryl F. Gates for Police Quest 4
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Deeveeus said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @FrankCanada97 said:
    Chief Darryl F. Gates "
    After Police Quest 3, he took over when Jim Walls left Sierra for an unknown reason.
    Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

Hot shit I loved the Police Quest games. If I recall correctly, Police Quest 4 is what prompted me to upgrade from 2 to 4 megs of RAM. 
    And it cost me a shit ton.  
    And I'm old. 
    That is all.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Deeveeus
    @FrankCanada97 said:

" @Deeveeus said:

" @Hailinel said:
    " @FrankCanada97 said:
    Chief Darryl F. Gates "
    After Police Quest 3, he took over when Jim Walls left Sierra for an unknown reason. "
    haha, yeah I remembered that directly after I posted, you just missed my edit :P....and now I wanna do some chalk outlines around a south central body :P
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Gabriel said:
    " Really only played the Kings Quest games from Sierra (and the excellent Colonel's Bequest). "
    I only played the second Laura Bow game, the name escapes me at the moment. Would you recommend the Colonel's Bequest?
    @Jimbo said:
    " Absolutely, and not just the theme.  If you watch the animation in the gameplay trailer, you can see when it switches not very subtley from the regular-looking idle animation into one of their awesome-looking pre-recorded ones, which totally reminded me of the hard cuts in SWAT 1's FMV. "
    Yeah, using the tactical mirror hard cuts to Betty White holding a handgun. That game was really short.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Gabriel
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " @Gabriel said:
    " Really only played the Kings Quest games from Sierra (and the excellent Colonel's Bequest). "
    I only played the second Laura Bow game, the name escapes me at the moment. Would you recommend the Colonel's Bequest?  
    Yes it is much better than the second one, It's kinda like And then there were none the video game. Great Atmosphere and personally my favorite Sierra adventure game.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FrankCanada97

Now that people have had a chance to play this, what do you guys think?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.