Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

is anyone else slightly disappointed? (spoilers, of course)

charliesheen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By charliesheen22

I feel as though this game started out strong, although the traffic desk was eh, but necessary for build up. The homicide desk was awesome, easily the highlight of the game for me. Things just got worse after like the 2nd or 3rd vice case when they tried to tie all sorts of shit together. Don't even get me started on the arson desk. I had heard before the games release that one or two cases were going to be related, which I figured would be cool, like "oh shit, this crime scene feels like a previous one". That feeling would be cool maybe once. They tried to tie too much stuff together after they put you on the vice desk, and it really turned me off from a game I had started off absolutely loving.  

Does anyone else feel the same way as me, or am I completely off base?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I enjoyed Vice and the first few cases of arson the most, but I thought things started to fall apart once the game had you playing as Kelso.

That being said, I did enjoy certain parts of the ending, especially Roy's eulogy at the end.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WalkerTR77

I felt the switch to Kelso was cool, but overplayed. I would have been much happier with a more refined hour or so with him rather than the belated portion that was served up. I also thought way too much tied together, especially on the homicide desk, to the point where those individual cases had less weight and uniqueness. I felt that the standalone cases - specifically those which had less overt gunplay/death etc - were the games strongest point, a good example being the first traffic case where Adrian Black attempts to fake his own death and the whole thing pans out as a bit of a pathetic fiasco for him.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By haggis

I wasn't disappointed in the cases so much on an individual level, but the last section of the game--playing as Kelso--was a huge letdown. Here we've played most of the game as Phelps and then just when the action kicks in ... Kelso. I even liked Kelso as a character, but I didn't want to play as him. Story-wise, the game was a disappointment in the end. The final wrap-up made sense, in a way, but the execution was lousy. Way too much single-minded focus in the cases. We should have been given twice as many cases, most of which were off the main story path.

I think the biggest disappointment was how little they used the LA they built. Sure, they scatter around some collectibles to go hunt down, but there are parts of the city that are really cool locations and ... they go completely unused. That little section under the 7th Street Bridge, for instance. Put a case there! Instead all the homicides were basically out in parks on grass under trees. Blah. Yes, I know it was a serial killing and they all tend to look the same. All the more reason to expand the case list and include more diverse setups. When your partner is complaining about another husband killing his wife, I was thinking, "Yeah, I know what you mean." Another similar case.

Great structure, great mechanics, and even a few great cases. But not nearly enough. And not nearly enough opportunity to see and explore the city in a way that is integrated into the game. I liked the game quite a bit, but any sequel is going to have to expand the horizons a bit. For such a huge city area to explore, the game feels remarkably small.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By swoxx

I completely agree. Not just the vice desk tbh. Also after about finding the 50th match-folder with a bar name on it things got a little repetitive.  

It's a game i will look back upon as decent but an excellent starting point for a "new" genre and a game that set the bar for facial animations for years to come.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Milkman

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I loved playing as Kelso.

rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rosebud04
    @Milkman said:
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. I loved playing as Kelso.
    ditto
    ST1LL_iLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ST1LL_iLL

I just beat the game. Watching credits as I write this. I also enjoyed playing as Kelso. What disappointed me was how the game made it seem as he was the main star. This whole time we've been playing as Phelps, getting accustomed to being him, then they switch it up on us. Still, loved the game, with all the searching for clues and interrogations. The flashbacks of Phelps in the Marines. The ending is ok. Can't expect a happy ending. It is a Noire game after all.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By carlthenimrod

I don't think you're off base at all OP. I would have preferred if the cases were more self contained. The main storyline just felt silly and arbitrary to me. Maybe there is a lot of pressure for games to have a beginning, middle, and end that are all intertwined by a story. But in the case (pun!) of L.A. Noire it just didn't feel necessary to me. I guess what I was really hoping for was something along the lines of Law & Order where the cases were more self contained and maybe there was some character progression along the way, but it wasn't the focus. Trying to connect everything together just made the entire storyline of L.A. Noire seem very fantastical to me.

Also, really didn't like Jack Kelso. He is just a generic good guy with no personality. Phelps is a flawed personality but that is what made him so entertaining and believable. What makes Kelso an interesting character?

charliesheen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By charliesheen22
    @carlthenimrod: exactly like my thoughts. The main story was very weak to me, and I feel as though the cases and the story should have had much more separation. also, looking back on posts through these forums, I think the reason I appreciated the homicide desk was because I staggered my playing time. I did maybe one or two cases in a day, not really giving myself a chance to notice why it wasn't so great after all. maybe.. the only truly perfect playing experience was... the traffic desk :O
    TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TEAMHOLT
    @charliesheen22: I found disappointment much earlier in the game. I've only gotten as far as the lipstick murder case, but so far, every single case has been spoiled by either fizzling out or by the raw, intense idiocy found within the writing. 

edit: Just played the Golden Butterfly case where you are forced to falsely accuse someone of murder. There are two suspects, and it's obvious that neither of them did it, but hey, somebody has to go to jail, right? This is after Phelps risks his life to save a child molester just a couple of cases beforehand because it was the "right thing to do". This game blows.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee

My exact thoughts after just completing the game are all in here. Kelso is simply one cool as ice PI, and definitely appealed more as a lead character for a noir tale. But the gameplay surrounding wasn't all too amazing. The attempt at trying to build up a cohesive story that partnered up with multiple departments/cases also didn't nearly pan out as they were hoping. Cole's death was kinda terrible too. 

I've been one of the few that considers L.A Noire to be a little shallow within its gameplay conventions, but I've always fell back on its amazing singular stories within the cases, and during the middle part of Arson it just kinda lost me. Made me really miss the simpler times, with Stefan and Rusty.

Anywhoo I also personally loved Kelso's outfit. <3

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By damswedon

Arson onwards was how the whole game should of been. 
    The honest cop that tries to root out the corruption in the city but is being stone-walled by the establishment, so he turns to a private eye who can move outside of the eyes of the cops but also has his own problems with the mob. 
    Instead we got 14 cases of jack and shit. 

Also would it of killed them to use this fucking face technology to have a good war of words with some of the guys at the top that were longer than three questions. 
    I mean they missed a great chance of having the Irish cop being the Dahlia Murderer. Instead of a shitty shoot out we could of had a fucking awesome scene. 

I don't think I'm going to remember LA Noire for much other than reminding me that the Ace Attorney games are fucking awesome and they should make a new proper one of those.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @charliesheen22 said:
    @carlthenimrod: exactly like my thoughts. The main story was very weak to me, and I feel as though the cases and the story should have had much more separation. also, looking back on posts through these forums, I think the reason I appreciated the homicide desk was because I staggered my playing time. I did maybe one or two cases in a day, not really giving myself a chance to notice why it wasn't so great after all. maybe.. the only truly perfect playing experience was... the traffic desk :O
    Yea, it would have gone a long way to have some additional cases in between the Black Dahlia case. I really enjoyed the first couple of homicide cases but it started to wear on me afterwards. In retrospect, my fantasy revision of L.A. Noire would feature the Black Dahlia case as the primary case that gets resolved at the conclusion of the game. But there would be more cases scattered in between. Most importantly though, no fucking tar pits.

Either that or all tar pits all the time. If I'm going to have tar pits in my game I'm going all out with tar pits and not half ass with tar pits.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PillClinton

man, i want to write an intelligent response, but i'm tired and hungry, and this is like the 15th of these posts. 

charliesheen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By charliesheen22
    @100_Hertz: sorry, but I just finished the game and had decided not to spoil it for myself by looking at the forums while playing. forgot to go back through all the dead threads to make sure I didn't post up one that had been talked about already
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PillClinton
    @charliesheen22: whatevs.  cool beans.  video games.  GLHB. 
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By spankingaddict

Only the ending was disappointing, IMO.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Sooty

The game did start out strong and was unique but got very boring, the ending was also terrible.

It's why it gets a 3 star for me. Great production values crippled by a lack of variety and somewhat outdated controls & gunplay.

Funnily enough they are the same issues I had with GTA IV and RDR. (despite not being developed by Team Bondi) 

Edit: Also, yes the technology with the faces is great, but my god the female characters look a bit weird with it.

charliesheen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By charliesheen22
    @100_Hertz: smd cool kid
    Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Ravenousrattler

Loved it till the transition from vice to arson,the slow grind to another disappointing end.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#22  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @haggis
    You've summed up my feelings towards L.A. Noire better than I could have done.  I completely agree with all your points, and would only add that a touch more interaction between Kelso and Phelps earlier in the game would have gone a long ways towards giving the ending a bit more impact.  In particular, I'd have loved to have seen Phelps (and/or Kelso) explain their relationship to someone.  That might lead to too much exposition, but just a little more wouldn't have hurt, especially when everyone walks out on Kelso claiming he wasn't a friend to Phelps.  At what point did they understand the Phelps/Kelso relationship?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.