Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

Isn't it weird that no one knows what this game is yet?

• 73 results
    Avatar image for mr_tittious_jones_3rd
    Mr_Tittious_Jones_3rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean the game comes out in a few weeks and there hasn't been any real hands on preview coverage. Rockstar hasn't put out any extended gameplay video showing how the game actually plays. It doesn't seem like there is going to be a demo. Even on the last Bombcast Ryan Davis said he pre-ordered just to see what the game was, and he's gaming press, shouldn't he know something by now? I'm not trying to say the game going to be bad or anything, i'm just saying it's weird no one knows anything.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mr_Tittious_Jones_3rd:  Rockstar Games enjoy fucking with us

i love it ! and hate it..
    elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By elko84

I bet you shoot guys and solve crimes.  Just sayin.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KarlPilkington

That's what Rockstar does, gameplay footage of GTA IV wasn't released before the game came out. Only leaked footage a few days before.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By jasta

Rockstar innit.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Evilsbane

Red Dead didn't show a lot of what I would call "Gameplay" just a lot of mechanics and bullet points and that game came out Steller so looking forward to Noire

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Most anticipated Quick Look 2011 anyone?

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SlightConfuse

it a game where you are a dectectve ha sves crime. you can interragte suspects and depending on how hard you press you can get info out of them. also collecting evidence from the crime scene. i recommend tracking down the game informer feature for a more indept look
    elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By elko84
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    " Most anticipated Quick Look 2011 anyone? "
    Nope, day one purchase.  I've seen enough.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael

Rockstar don't need to show what their games are, because people will buy anything with their logo on the box.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @elko84 said:
    " @PhatSeeJay said:
    Nope, day one purchase.  I've seen enough. "
    Well.. I suppose that one works as well. I'm poor as hell but have money dedicated for this game.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I didn't really see a significant amount of Red Dead Redemption gameplay until some Justin.TV streams popped up a few days prior to release, and it was pretty much the same with GTA IV prior to that. Considering how well every Rockstar flagship title has done in the past decade, I don't think they'll be changing their PR methods any time soon, so you might as well get used to it.

On the plus side, they do end up releasing some of the most well produced trailers out there. That first Red Dead Redemption reveal trailer and pretty much every GTA IV trailer was freaking amazing.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I have a pretty decent idea of how it's going to work.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Rockstar is a bit inconsistent with what they do, they showed nothing of GTA IV until a week it was due but Red Dead Redemption they showed a pretty descriptive video of what the world in the game is like and how it plays and that was earlier on in the game's development.  LA Noire is a bit of a riskier game since it's not being developed by Rockstar internally and it isn't the usual type of game they make. So yeah more descriptive videos about the game leading up to it's release this month wouldn't be a bad thing. 

koobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By koobz
    @Icemael said:

" Rockstar don't need to show what their games are, because people will buy anything with their logo on the box. "

Yup.  This game isn't even made by Rockstar.  It's only being published (and marketed) by Rockstar.  So it's pretty clear that they've proven their brand means more than content to a lot of people.
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

The only person I know who knows this game exists is my younger brother.
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mosespippy

I'm pretty sure R* are trying something different that doesn't really fall into any specific genre (unless it's part of the interactive drama genre that David Cage created with Heavy Rain). If people aren't familiar with similar products (because they don't exist) then it's hard to compare it to stuff and that's why we don't really know what this game is.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @elko84 said:
    " @PhatSeeJay said:
    Nope, day one purchase.  I've seen enough. "
    agreed
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phish09

I think Stephen Totilo from Kotaku wrote a pretty extensive hands on preview of the game a month or two ago, so you can always go read that to get an idea of what the game is all about.

Avatar image for mr_tittious_jones_3rd
    Mr_Tittious_Jones_3rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that with GTA and Red Dead everyone knew what they were getting(More better GTA and more better GTA with cowboys). This is a new IP with a new kind of gameplay that we really have not seen much of. I love Rockstar games too but the only thing i've seen so far is hype.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Icemael
    @mosespippy said:
    " I'm pretty sure R* are trying something different that doesn't really fall into any specific genre (unless it's part of the interactive drama genre that David Cage created with Heavy Rain). "
    You mean the adventure genre? Because Heavy Rain is just an adventure game with quick-time events instead of puzzles. "Interactive drama" is not a genre, no matter what David Cage says.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Icemael
    @mosespippy said:
    " I'm pretty sure R* are trying something different that doesn't really fall into any specific genre (unless it's part of the interactive drama genre that David Cage created with Heavy Rain). "
    You mean the adventure genre? Because Heavy Rain is just an adventure game with quick-time events instead of puzzles. "Interactive drama" is not a genre, no matter what David Cage says.
    Why isn't interactive drama a genre? D:
    clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By clush
    @Mr_Tittious_Jones_3rd: 

Yes it is weird. The only things I know of this game are from short trailerlike clips and written descriptions... Although I'm interested to find out what it's all about (because it's rockstar) I must say that it doesn't look too interesting to me on paper. It's a strange kind of buzz they're creating. Instead of "omg i can't wait for noire because everything in that game looks awesome" it's more like "wtf is the gameplay like in noire and is it actually any good?". Which is fine, really, assuming the game is in fact awesome. But then, if it IS awesome, then why be so secretive about it?

@Chabbs0: 
    Well, sure... but then, GTA4 is, you know, just another GTA game. People know what to expect from that.

@Evilsbane: 

RDR was a western from the guys that made GTA. With that being as good a description of the game as any, people still kind of knew what to expect.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By mosespippy
    @Icemael: Adventure game is a pretty generic term that I wouldn't consider a genre. It covers everything from point and click puzzle games like Monkey Island and Kings Quest to open world sandbox games like infamous and Crackdown. They are all adventure games but I wouldn't put them in the same genre.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Claude

I wonder if Giant Bomb will review this Rockstar game?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Icemael
    @mosespippy said:
    " @Icemael: Adventure game is a pretty generic term that I wouldn't consider a genre. It covers everything from point and click puzzle games like Monkey Island and Kings Quest to open world sandbox games like infamous and Crackdown. They are all adventure games but I wouldn't put them in the same genre. "
    inFamous and Crackdown are not adventure games. They're action platformers (with inFamous being, more specifically, a third-person shooter platformer).
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By time allen
    @Cold_Wolven said:
    " Rockstar is a bit inconsistent with what they do, they showed nothing of GTA IV until a week it was due but Red Dead Redemption they showed a pretty descriptive video of what the world in the game is like and how it plays and that was earlier on in the game's development. "
    that's probably because 90% of gamers know what to expect in a gta game.
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rockanomics

It will be based entirely on how well you can walk towards the camera in slow mo while stuff blows up with "Welcome to the Jungle" playing.

Chontamenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chontamenti
    @Icemael said:

" Rockstar don't need to show what their games are, because people will buy anything with their logo on the box. "

Even "table tennis"?
    --------
    I wait for the QL or more information about the gameplay, before I blow 69€ for it >_>
    69€ = 98$...
    strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By strainedeyes

Yeah, I wonder if Rockstar will send GB a review copy, or is this going to another Red Dead incident?

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @Geo7877: Probably another Red Dead but Giantbomb will be expecting it this time so no hard feelings. I do hope there is a review for it though, regardless i'll be buying it! 
    Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By James_ex_machina

Day one buyer. I would wait for reviews but I'm taking advantage of Amazon credit, the preorder bonus, and the fact that this is one of those games my gf wants to see and watch.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zimbo

From what I have seen and read, while there will be a lot of talking and investigating and such the driving and combat looks a bit like GTA with a mix of Red Dead with a few new tweaks. I'm sure that sort of thing will be fine. I'm more interested in the story and I wonder if they have any "side missions" or whether it will be like Mafia 2 and remain focused on the main story only.

Either way, I'm certainly interested in playing the game and hope it lives up to peoples expectations.

@Dylabaloo said:

" @Geo7877: Probably another Red Dead but Giantbomb will be expecting it this time so no hard feelings. I do hope there is a review for it though, regardless i'll be buying it!  "

I hope they do review it. They can't just keep making the same excuse every time a Rockstar game comes out. (Yes, I know its developed by Team Bondi but Rockstar has helped a lot)
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By lordofultima

Well, I have a good idea what it is. There's plenty of previews out there, and even Q&A with the developers directly answering peoples questions about the game. Media overload.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I'm interested in seeing how the game handles the transitions from each mission since I remember hearing they are each self contained episodes. I'm imagining seasons changing and maybe even some setting changes here and there. I mean there's 3 dvd's worth of shit (1 blu ray respectively) so I'm hoping each mission brings on new scenery and keeps a fresh feeling throughout the story rather than driving from point A to point B in the same location over and over again.

I'm mostly excited for a heavy detective story.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @Zimbo said:

" From what I have seen and read, while there will be a lot of talking and investigating and such the driving and combat looks a bit like GTA with a mix of Red Dead with a few new tweaks. I'm sure that sort of thing will be fine. I'm more interested in the story and I wonder if they have any "side missions" or whether it will be like Mafia 2 and remain focused on the main story only.

Either way, I'm certainly interested in playing the game and hope it lives up to peoples expectations.

@Dylabaloo

said:

" @Geo7877: Probably another Red Dead but Giantbomb will be expecting it this time so no hard feelings. I do hope there is a review for it though, regardless i'll be buying it!  "

I hope they do review it. They can't just keep making the same excuse every time a Rockstar game comes out. (Yes, I know its developed by Team Bondi but Rockstar has helped a lot) "
    Well I think the beauty of this game is it consists of side-quests, from what i've gathered there's a main story thread that will unravel slowly throughout some cases, however the game is structured in a way that side quests are embedded into the experience, side-quests being mission that don't effect the main story thread. The game is separated through Beat-cop; which consists of nightly patrols/petty crimes, then you slowly work your way through each desk, Traffic, Homicide, Vice and Arson. Each desk will transition presumably with a main story thread mission but most of the other missions will be self contained stories. There will also be missions a la Red Dead that just randomly appear on the map such as some guy getting mugged for example. I was shocked to hear gunplay has been drastically downplayed to the point where you cannot shoot civilians, seems ballsy for a Rockstar game and i'm sure a lot of people are gonna hate it. I also do hope Giantbomb take the time to review, but with E3 creeping up who knows.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By donchipotle

It's like Phoenix Wright without the puns

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fjordson

Rockstar always likes to maintain strict control on the flow of information before their games come out. Nothing really new here in that regard. It surprises me to see people say that they feel R* showed more of RDR than this game. There's been three gameplay series videos that are presented pretty much exactly the same as RDR's breaking down the various aspects of gameplay. Go search RockstarGames on YouTube and you'll see all of them there.

I think the main difference between this and past Rockstar games that people need to take note of is that combat is not the focus and that you aren't going to be going on destructive rampages in the streets of LA. The violence that is present in the game is meant to be realistic and only show up when necessary in the context of a certain case. The game is putting you in the shoes of a legitimate cop/detective. Basically the total opposite side of the coin when compared to previous Rockstar protagonists. The focus is on the investigative elements, mainly crime scene investigation and interrogating witnesses, and using those various elements to solve all of the different cases. They've also said that they're trying to present a tighter central narrative than past R* games.

As for side quests, there are going to be there (basically street crimes/situations that you can resolve or respond to) besides the main story that will show up around the city (almost like the random events in Red Dead Redemption). The difference here from RDR is that you'll be able to be notified of ones happening outside of your direct vicinity over the police radio in your car. I saw whoever it is that answers the questions in the comments on their official site say that these random events include "purse snatchers, bank robberies, talking down suicide jumpers, car jackings, domestic violence, shootings, hostage situations and more".

I think it sounds great, I just hope their gamble pays off. I wonder how certain fans wanting to blow lots of shit up and gun down everyone in sight on the streets will respond to a more methodical game.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By falling_fast

I feel like Rockstar have a good enough track record that, keeping that in mind and that it's supposed to be some sort of film noir inspired detective story or whatever, is enough to make me want to play it, regardless of what else I know about it.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By cornbredx

I think it's a smart direction to take.

It makes me more intrigued about the game and more likely to buy it when I have the chance.

It's a common thing with Rockstar and a big reason I think they are so successful. People kind of have to take their games at face value and generally they make pretty solid games so... their games tend to do well.

I don't know, i'm really tired and not explaining my thoughts well. I still like that they do this, and hope the hype around release is similar to what they did with RDR. Those videos they released just before the game came out we're really neat.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Andorski

Rockstar did this with RDR too.  Aside from those voice-over trailers where the narrator ran through the list of details about the game, information was scarce.

They did it with the GTA series as well, although people already have a sense on how those games already played prior to release.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By TheHT
    @Icemael said:
    " @mosespippy said:
    " @Icemael: Adventure game is a pretty generic term that I wouldn't consider a genre. It covers everything from point and click puzzle games like Monkey Island and Kings Quest to open world sandbox games like infamous and Crackdown. They are all adventure games but I wouldn't put them in the same genre. "
    inFamous and Crackdown are not adventure games. They're action platformers (with inFamous being, more specifically, a third-person shooter platformer). "
    inFamous is more like an action adventure third person shooter open world platformer RPG. Genre classification like that makes having genres seem increasingly useless.

All I've seen of L.A. Noire is a bit that looked like the GTA open world and then some crazy facial animation footage. No clue what it is means I won't go anywhere near it before seeing a quick look or something akin to that.

At least with GTA4 it was the third 3D GTA game so I knew what to expect, just, you know, more real and stuff.. And Red Dead Redemption had a lot of gameplay footage in all of their feature features so you could see it was like GTA4 in the wild west. This seems more like a GTA/Heavy Rain demonchild from what I've seen.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

It takes place in the 40's, has awesome motion capture, and features blood spurts and pubic hair. What more do we need to know?

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vexxan

Seen enough to get myself very hyped, now I just want to play this game.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By probablytuna

I don't know what you're talking about, a number of gaming sites have done extensive previews about the game. And I know enough from the videos released by Rockstar that it would be a game I would play.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vodun

Personally I find it very appealing that I don't know exactly what's coming. I love being surprised. Games that I really look forward to I usually "go dark" on to avoid having them spoiled, but LA Noire I've been able to follow without trouble.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By xyzygy

I'm worried that Rockstar might not be flaunting this game like they did with RDR and GTA because they're not as satisfied with the final product.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By scarace360

Rockstar can do what they want and people will still buy it day 1. They could just give you a release date and you would probably show up.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Marz

my guess it will be an open world 3rd person shooter, like some of their past games.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Icemael
    @TheHT said:

" @Icemael said:

" @mosespippy said:
    inFamous and Crackdown are not adventure games. They're action platformers (with inFamous being, more specifically, a third-person shooter platformer). "
    inFamous is more like an action adventure third person shooter open world platformer RPG. Genre classification like that makes having genres seem increasingly useless."
    "Action" is covered by the "shooter" part (since shooter is a sub-genre of action), and inFamous is neither an adventure game nor an RPG. Unlockable abilities and like two choices that affect the story =/= RPG, and what exactly is supposed to be "adventure" about it? All you ever do in the game is platform and shoot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.