Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

LA Noire: How i played it totally wrong

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By chan05

I finished LA Noire in about one week, meaning i was very involved and wanted to see how the story turns out as fast as possible. But at the end while having really enjoyed LA Noire im kind of stuck with the feeling that i played this game wrong. Let's be more precise: I totally played this game horribly wrong!  
     I started out playing my first cases, already noticing that this game is kind of hard. Performing the right choice between "Lie, Doubt, Truth" isn't that easy at all. What happened is that i got 4 or 5 star ratings in traffic but not later than in homicide my ratings went down to 2 or 3 star ratings. But since i felt the strong need to get all these bad guys, and sometimes i just didn't although i knew that a certain person was guilty, i started to quit the game to the menus, hit continue and tried another choice of answers until i got most cases with a 5 star rating.
    That's why the core gameplay, the interrogations, lost there appeal, since i knew that i just couldnt live without having the "best" solution There was just no excitement anymore. I basically just finished the game to see what would be the conclusion to the story line.I feel guilty for that. It's totally the wrong way to play this game! But i feel that games trained me on trying to be perfect. In shooters your enter a room and the only way to progress the story is you shooting all the other guys. There is no story progression for "losers", just the fast reload button. Similiar in racing games there is no price for beeing last place. Maybe you get some money, but you only unlock the next races by winning the ones before (there are exceptions). 
     LA Noire takes another route, the storys continues, no matter how bad you performed in an interrogation. Somehow this felt so unnatural to me, although it totally is much more natural than the gameplay in other games, that i just couldn't stand f***** it all up. My strange attitude towards games took away from LA Noire what made it special. I feel bad for it,  but in the end it's what most games told me: it's about performing good not bad. Just that LA Noire isn't a game about doing it all right. If they just would have left away the star ratings...

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By chan05

I finished LA Noire in about one week, meaning i was very involved and wanted to see how the story turns out as fast as possible. But at the end while having really enjoyed LA Noire im kind of stuck with the feeling that i played this game wrong. Let's be more precise: I totally played this game horribly wrong!  
     I started out playing my first cases, already noticing that this game is kind of hard. Performing the right choice between "Lie, Doubt, Truth" isn't that easy at all. What happened is that i got 4 or 5 star ratings in traffic but not later than in homicide my ratings went down to 2 or 3 star ratings. But since i felt the strong need to get all these bad guys, and sometimes i just didn't although i knew that a certain person was guilty, i started to quit the game to the menus, hit continue and tried another choice of answers until i got most cases with a 5 star rating.
    That's why the core gameplay, the interrogations, lost there appeal, since i knew that i just couldnt live without having the "best" solution There was just no excitement anymore. I basically just finished the game to see what would be the conclusion to the story line.I feel guilty for that. It's totally the wrong way to play this game! But i feel that games trained me on trying to be perfect. In shooters your enter a room and the only way to progress the story is you shooting all the other guys. There is no story progression for "losers", just the fast reload button. Similiar in racing games there is no price for beeing last place. Maybe you get some money, but you only unlock the next races by winning the ones before (there are exceptions). 
     LA Noire takes another route, the storys continues, no matter how bad you performed in an interrogation. Somehow this felt so unnatural to me, although it totally is much more natural than the gameplay in other games, that i just couldn't stand f***** it all up. My strange attitude towards games took away from LA Noire what made it special. I feel bad for it,  but in the end it's what most games told me: it's about performing good not bad. Just that LA Noire isn't a game about doing it all right. If they just would have left away the star ratings...

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I just went into the game with the mindset that I was not going to reload and see how it plays out depending on my choices.

Made it a lot more interesting, not only to see how it played out in the first game. It also allows me to go into the cases again and see how a perfectly handled case would play out.

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chan05
    @PhatSeeJay: Yes, this would be my advice to everybody who hasn't started the game yet: Never reload! Play it once without reloading and then play it a second time with reloading to see how things turn out then.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @PhatSeeJay said:

I just went into the game with the mindset that I was not going to reload and see how it plays out depending on my choices.

Same here. Aiming for perfection with this game just seems silly. This is a story-driven game, not Super Meat Boy.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why the crew yells at Vinny for ruining games by spending hours pixel hunting every area for collectibles. And then he gets to the last third of the game and is tired of playing it.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Choffy

Patrick agrees. Though why anyone would restart a save in a game like this confuses me. I could have told you it would have ruined the experience after my first case.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Evilsbane

@chan05: Im actually experiencing the exact same thing, I'm only 3 cases in but I just can't NOT Get all the questions right, when I hear that Fucking incorrect sound OH MAN Just instant restart, its a nasty dirty compulsion in this game where your 100% correct it is EASY to get that shit wrong, I don't know what to do, I just can't fight it!

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PillClinton

Is it that the truth, doubt, lie system is difficult or badly designed? I say the latter.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By Bennyishere

It's hard for me since hearing that sound of failure is like being shot in the heart. I am trying not to reload, but I just have to do it when I do everything wrong and I feel like an idiot. You're definitely right though, it's not the right way to play. I will be going through the cases again with a guide for the achievement anyway.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mosdl

I am not finished but I only did it for once case (where there are 2 possible suspects) because I thought the logic was wrong. One guy says "I don't know anything about object X", but you found X in a car and the correct answer was to say Lie and choose X as evidence. However, for me, there was no proof he knew about X - all I did was find X while investigating a crime scene.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#11  Edited By Sin4profit

@chan05: if you ruined the fun of the game for yourself, then yeah ya played it wrong but the truth is, i think they screwed up for not splitting the outcome. The game is very interesting when you're in the thick of it but the more and more you realize that your failures have NO IMPACT whatsoever, the interrogations lose a lot of their appeal.

Despite Ryan's feelings, i would like to see someone expand on this game and do a more affective job of it. In the end the game just felt like a "feeler" of an idea and at this point i'd much rather go back and play some more Phoenix Wright then LA Noire.

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By chan05
    @mosdl:   I agree that to a certain extend my behaviour was also caused by logical flaws in some cases. I sometimes got the feeling that multiple evidence was appropriate and i just couldn't decide which one they wanted me to take. Failing in this case actually was the most frustrating part of LA Noire since i didn't feel like i did something wrong but rather they didn't think about the logic behind the interrogations and the evidence enough.
    @Evilsbane: Dude, that incorrect sound is the worst. Its such a direct feedback which i felt is kind of inappropriate. Maybe they should have given you an option to turn it off, jus that you at least can play through the cases without the feeling of constant failure.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#13  Edited By citizenkane
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By louiedog

I one starred a case with all clues and only a few bucks worth of damage because I got one question wrong. That one question caused someone to die, or maybe they would have died anyway, but only after giving me the info I needed. That had a big impact on me, because I'd been doing well all game. I just finished the game yesterday and after playing the Traffic DLC that came out after I'd finished the desk, it's the first thing I plan to replay. I can't wait to see how differently it unfolds when I get that question right.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By haggis
    @100_Hertz said:

Is it that the truth, doubt, lie system is difficult or badly designed? I say the latter.

Some are finding it too easy, some too difficult, but most seem to think it somewhere in between. It's not badly designed, just new. And some people just aren't getting it for one reason or another. 

@mosdl said:

I am not finished but I only did it for once case (where there are 2 possible suspects) because I thought the logic was wrong. One guy says "I don't know anything about object X", but you found X in a car and the correct answer was to say Lie and choose X as evidence. However, for me, there was no proof he knew about X - all I did was find X while investigating a crime scene.

I think this is something people playing haven't all figured out yet: the designers seem to want you to doubt who you're putting away for these crimes. They want you to get that five star rating and be like, "Wait, that's just wrong somehow. I'm missing something." Because in the end ... well, once you finish the arcs, you'll understand. Part of the point of the game is to highlight the rough-and-ready nature of criminal investigation at the time, where cops would be willing to put people away for crimes with less than satisfactory evidence, or because they were low-lifes, or revolutionaries, or for whatever personal bias they had. If you're sure you know what's going on when you hit the end of a case, then you're probably wrong. Even if the game seems to be telling you that you were right. This isn't CSI.
    monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By monkeyking1969

As more games like this come out the more people will get used to just going with the flow. Without a doubt LA Noire could have done things better to make people feel more comfortable with going with the flow. Not telling you while your playing what questions you got wrong would help. Making more branches to questioning and story, so you could swing back around on a line of questioning or story might help. But their are dozens of tweeks the developer could do to make people more comfortable, and some of that is making it less 'typicall gamey' and more smart detective game.

newfound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By newfound

I've definitely had to stop myself from reaching for guides or reloading and the game becomes a lot more involving for it, I have yet to go below 4 star for a case because I spent the time searching the areas and really thinking about answers when interviewing people, but for me this just makes the game all the better!

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Surkov

I honestly don't why anyone would read a guide for this game because it effectively ruins the whole point of the experience. The game gives you all the tools to 5 star every case on the first try, it's up to the player to execute a good case. I messed up to a bunch of times, but I never restarted a case because I felt like I would be cheating my own experience.  

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Gerhabio

I've been thinking I'll play it with my girlfriend and we'll try to figure it out together and if we fuck up then so be it! After finishing the game I might dive back in and use a guide for collectibles and achievements.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hoossy

The problem is though, I think the main fault in the game is that even if you do mess up, it doesn't change anything!  At least in Mass Effect your decisions can greatly effect things later... 
    You could royally screw up your interrogation and still catch the right guy.  And even if you didn't, you will still get promoted at the right time.  That's one of the things that bothered me most...

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BBQBram

I just rolled with it, didn't want to ruin the story's pacing. Now I'm on my second run going for five stars. All I can say is yup, your OCD effectively ruined this game for you. I hope when more games like this pop up not everyone will be stuck in that mindset of perfection because it just ruins the whole appeal.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @BBQBram said:

I just rolled with it, didn't want to ruin the story's pacing. Now I'm on my second run going for five stars. All I can say is yup, your OCD effectively ruined this game for you. I hope when more games like this pop up not everyone will be stuck in that mindset of perfection because it just ruins the whole appeal.

I agree it does ruin LA Noire to a degree, but LA Noire is an adventure game that expects you to abandon (in some people's cases) twenty years of perfectionism. It's not easy to do at all.
    Avatar image for lobster_monster
    Lobster_Monster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lobster_Monster

Some of the cases go VERY differently if you screw up the interrogations. It doesn't change the overall story, though.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xMP44x

I've already decided that when I get the game I will be playing the first run for myself and then perhaps a second run intended to get all the five star ratings. Even after that I'll probably still try more cases in different ways, as I do with Hitman: Blood Money. I often repeat hits in that game to see if I can handle them in different manners.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Sayishere

I did it this a couple of times :(

Actually by the end i did it alot because i wanted the 'better' ending. Even though im pretty sure whatever you choose it guides you to the same path, i felt obliged to just do it

LollerskateDJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LollerskateDJ

I messed up a lot with my interrogations. Now I'm just replaying it so I can the 5 star in all cases achievement and maybe I'll find the last 4 street crimes I'm missing >:(

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By masternater27

I did the same thing, but only if I missed 2 questions in a row or something. I think maybe it would've been better if it was just truth or lie? There were a couple of times when the evidence the game wanted didn't contradict anything at all, so I went with doubt and was punished. Or keep it the same and just not have the music cues during interrogations. That way you don't find out you royally cocked it up until the end of the case when you get your rating. There's no way I would've reloaded sometimes over an hour of gameplay just to get 2 questions right, and pick up 1 clue.

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By chan05
    @masternater27: I agree. Without such a direct feedback to your actions (basically it just tells you wrong or right in a game that's not about just wrong or right!!) i wouldn't have replayed so many parts of the game. In my opinion they could have at least put an option in there to turn off the sound feedback.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.