Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

L.A. Noire is an amazing game. Here's 3 reasons why.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

Edited By wumbo3000

Stairs

For some strange reason, I always observe how characters move up and down stairs in video games.  It's been something that's been bothering me since I've been a wee lad.  I hate how most video game people just slide or jump unrealistically up and down stairs.  Rarely do games have their characters take each individual step, and when they do, a part of my brain tingles and sends out good signals throughout my body.  L.A. Noire takes its stairs seriously, and that is my first reason why this game is awesome.  Only other game that I know of that takes stairs seriously is Killer 7.  Loved that game too.

Not having to go back down buildings

I don't really have a good, brief title to express how I loved this feature, but the header says it all.  When you're done climbing up a huge building, instead of making you go back down, the game transports you to the bottom.  Especially when you're searching for all those clues in the last case of Homicide...seems like a minor thing, but it made a lasting impression on me.

Good Samaritan Hospital

I was freaking born here and it's a landmark in the game.  How could I not love L.A. Noire?

...Oh and everything else about the game is fantastic as well.
    wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By wumbo3000

Stairs

For some strange reason, I always observe how characters move up and down stairs in video games.  It's been something that's been bothering me since I've been a wee lad.  I hate how most video game people just slide or jump unrealistically up and down stairs.  Rarely do games have their characters take each individual step, and when they do, a part of my brain tingles and sends out good signals throughout my body.  L.A. Noire takes its stairs seriously, and that is my first reason why this game is awesome.  Only other game that I know of that takes stairs seriously is Killer 7.  Loved that game too.

Not having to go back down buildings

I don't really have a good, brief title to express how I loved this feature, but the header says it all.  When you're done climbing up a huge building, instead of making you go back down, the game transports you to the bottom.  Especially when you're searching for all those clues in the last case of Homicide...seems like a minor thing, but it made a lasting impression on me.

Good Samaritan Hospital

I was freaking born here and it's a landmark in the game.  How could I not love L.A. Noire?

...Oh and everything else about the game is fantastic as well.
    Jocund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Jocund

These are all valid reasons and I fully support this thread. Not that that means much.  

But honestly, yeah, it's little things like attention to stairs and the ability to pick up your hat after it's knocked off that make me appreciate the game as much as I do. The gameplay is pretty take it or leave it, but the attention to detail can't be denied. Too bad the game was a product of developer slave labor, makes me feel kinda dirty for liking it so much. 

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By themangalist
    @wumbo3000 said:

Stairs

For some strange reason,  I always observe how characters move up and down stairs in video games.  It's been something that's been bothering me since I've been a wee lad.  I hate how most video game people just slide or jump unrealistically up and down stairs.  Rarely do games have their characters take each individual step, and when they do, a part of brain tingles and sends out good signals throughout my body.  L.A. Noire takes its stairs seriously, and that is my first reason why this game is awesome.  Only other game that I know of that takes stairs seriously is Killer 7.  Loved that game too.

I have a weird tendency like that too. Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain also clip on you character to the stairs -- the stairs are in fact part of the stair walking information.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

All your points are fair and well, but they don't make a game amazing, bro.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

The third one might make you appear a little biased.. oj ;P 

One reason I especially loved about L.A Noire, which is kinda in relation to the stairs, is how automated a lot of the movement is. Especially during chases when you just hold a button to overcome whatever gets in the way, almost like the Assassins Creed games. The stairs in particular how they manipulate your movement to walk down them without any fuss and all efficiency brings a joyful tear to my eye. 

I still see L.A Noire as a flawed, and appreciatively attempted, masterpiece towards a lot of its aspects (like.. the interrogations..), but there are a few small tid bits that I still vehemently admire.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wumbo3000
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    All your points are fair and well, but they don't make a game amazing, bro.
    I also forgot to mention that I love everything else about the game too.  I was being somewhat facetious in this post, but these are actual aspects that made me enjoy the game that much more.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By vidiot
    @wumbo3000 said:

Good Samaritan Hospital

BIAS!
    Actually, that's really cool.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I wouldn't read this unless you've finished the game.  It's basically a condensed version of this post

tl;dr = I disagree.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Uncharted 2 had good stair-walking animations.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

Torment can create great things.

No Caption Provided
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By louiedog
    @SpaceInsomniac said:

I wouldn't read this unless you've finished the game.  It's basically a condensed version of this post

tl;dr = I disagree.
    While that's all true, Rocket Jockey, it doesn't stop LA Noire from being a great game. The story elements do break down when you think about them and things should have been handled better. However, I can make a much longer list of great things that I love about the game than I can about things that I don't like. 

Oh, and you do know that Cole is married. You kiss her goodbye in the game intro. It happens so early I'm not bothering to put it behind a spoiler tag. 
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Bestostero

I don't really care about the realistic stairs, but I love the realistic jumping across buildings and climbing pipes and stuff.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Joru

The stair animation tech probably comes from GTA IV, that's the first game that did it properly I think.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Yanngc33

I think they use the same tech for stairs as in GTA 4. Wonder if you can fall down them

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Bwast
    1. Phelps
    2. Badge
    3. 1247
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By Sooperspy

Ever since RE 1, have the Resident Evil games had realistic stair walking. Also, Uncharted, and Red Dead Redemption, and GTA 4.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BasketSnake

In Red Dead I don't allow anyone to walk stairs. Not even that matters as I shoot first and TELL later.

castigatorul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By castigatorul

stair animations bother me in pretty much every game besides L.A. Noire. So glad that others notice this too

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I don't care what people say L.A. Noire is a great game. I loved the stairs thing too. Kind of a gaming pet peeve of mine when you slide up and down stairs.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BBQBram

The stair thing is so true, although it feels as automated as the rest of the action scenes (it locks into the animation and winds down when you stop). It is similar to GTAIV but there it is an actual real-time dynamic animation based on the positioning of your feet and dictated by physics. LA Noire is full of awesome moments like that though, the animations on climbing and jumping fences combined with the swaying camera shake were stellar.

@SpaceInsomniac:

The conspiracy film was the only mcguffin in the plot but it sure is glaring. Why does it even exist? Is it supposed to be a cutscene where Jack infers all of this? It can't be because it is an actual clue. Why not take that film reel straight to the DA's office?

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Loki9876

i agree with the stair thing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.