Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

L.A. Noire is not for me

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

Edited By Alphazero

I decided to give up on playing the rest of L.A. Noire, and I feel bad about it. It happened when I'd just finished the homicide story arc and was starting my first case at the Ad Vice desk. I was driving to a warehouse full of furniture and some iced morphine, when I T-Boned another car crossing the intersection who was only looking at the green light in front of him and didn't think to check if a decorated war hero detective was about to fly through his red light. A real officer would have stopped at the red light, most likely, or had the siren going and at least slowed down, but nope, I barreled through full speed because I get enough red lights in real life.

I also get enough traffic in real life. Traffic in the Los Angeles of today is famously bad, but even the three cars in front of me blocking my way out of some tunnel were bumming me out. If you drive recklessly in this game world you're punished for it. It's fairly mild, but still present. You're being asked to role play a tough as nails do-gooder cop in a corrupt city, and that includes stopping at red lights. Sure, you can have your partner drive to skip right to the next crime scene, but I found I wasn't enjoying that aspect either.

The crime scenes are by-and-large a photo hunt game, where you wander around waiting for the controller to buzz before you hit the x button (on PS3) to pick up a discarded bottle before turning it over in your hand, telling yourself it's not relevant to the case, then putting it back down again. Finding the clues opens up lines of questioning later in the case, so finding them all improves your chances of getting a good or right outcome. I was quite good -- if I do say so myself -- at finding all of the clues, but didn't much like the process. Once you have all the clues, the music cues change, and then you're off driving to the next photo hunt location.

Or, maybe you're off to interview a suspect. You can believe, doubt, or say someone is lying, and the answers felt pretty arbitrary. Maybe you went to the locations in a different order and can't say someone is lying. Maybe you just can't know the right answer and it becomes a question of who you would rather put away. Which suspect will make your chief and District Attorney happiest? These are all situations that real detectives probably face, but the moral ambiguity made me unhappy. Shoot alien bad thing is clear. Which unhappy person with children to accuse of murder is less so.

The story is great. I really liked the main character and the imperfect people that surrounded him. It's just all the game in between I didn't like, so, ultimately, I just read a synopsis and watched L.A. Confidential instead. That also has a good story, without making me feel responsible for all of the evil involved.

The facial tech is also quite good. You can see some evidence of the corners of the mouths sticking together when the shouldn't, or the corners of eyes not looking quite right, or a general sense that the whole animation was compressed a bit more than it should have been, but For A Video Game it is flat out amazing. These are actors acting, and doing it well. For facial animation nothing else comes close, although it required a fairly brute force approach. As the techniques are refined, and when companies have a method of retargeting the captured animation data onto other characters and creatures, it'll impress me even more I'm sure.

But for a game being an open world game, I don't want gritty realism in all things. I want Crackdown. Or InFamous. Most of all, I suspect, I want a game where I can put my character in a hot dog suit and drive around town spraying raw sewage on houses. I want to have fun like that, doing the things that I don't (that you can prove) do in real life. Where the ridiculousness of the situation makes me not feel bad about accidentally running over a pedestrian. Now if only someone would make that game.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Alphazero

I decided to give up on playing the rest of L.A. Noire, and I feel bad about it. It happened when I'd just finished the homicide story arc and was starting my first case at the Ad Vice desk. I was driving to a warehouse full of furniture and some iced morphine, when I T-Boned another car crossing the intersection who was only looking at the green light in front of him and didn't think to check if a decorated war hero detective was about to fly through his red light. A real officer would have stopped at the red light, most likely, or had the siren going and at least slowed down, but nope, I barreled through full speed because I get enough red lights in real life.

I also get enough traffic in real life. Traffic in the Los Angeles of today is famously bad, but even the three cars in front of me blocking my way out of some tunnel were bumming me out. If you drive recklessly in this game world you're punished for it. It's fairly mild, but still present. You're being asked to role play a tough as nails do-gooder cop in a corrupt city, and that includes stopping at red lights. Sure, you can have your partner drive to skip right to the next crime scene, but I found I wasn't enjoying that aspect either.

The crime scenes are by-and-large a photo hunt game, where you wander around waiting for the controller to buzz before you hit the x button (on PS3) to pick up a discarded bottle before turning it over in your hand, telling yourself it's not relevant to the case, then putting it back down again. Finding the clues opens up lines of questioning later in the case, so finding them all improves your chances of getting a good or right outcome. I was quite good -- if I do say so myself -- at finding all of the clues, but didn't much like the process. Once you have all the clues, the music cues change, and then you're off driving to the next photo hunt location.

Or, maybe you're off to interview a suspect. You can believe, doubt, or say someone is lying, and the answers felt pretty arbitrary. Maybe you went to the locations in a different order and can't say someone is lying. Maybe you just can't know the right answer and it becomes a question of who you would rather put away. Which suspect will make your chief and District Attorney happiest? These are all situations that real detectives probably face, but the moral ambiguity made me unhappy. Shoot alien bad thing is clear. Which unhappy person with children to accuse of murder is less so.

The story is great. I really liked the main character and the imperfect people that surrounded him. It's just all the game in between I didn't like, so, ultimately, I just read a synopsis and watched L.A. Confidential instead. That also has a good story, without making me feel responsible for all of the evil involved.

The facial tech is also quite good. You can see some evidence of the corners of the mouths sticking together when the shouldn't, or the corners of eyes not looking quite right, or a general sense that the whole animation was compressed a bit more than it should have been, but For A Video Game it is flat out amazing. These are actors acting, and doing it well. For facial animation nothing else comes close, although it required a fairly brute force approach. As the techniques are refined, and when companies have a method of retargeting the captured animation data onto other characters and creatures, it'll impress me even more I'm sure.

But for a game being an open world game, I don't want gritty realism in all things. I want Crackdown. Or InFamous. Most of all, I suspect, I want a game where I can put my character in a hot dog suit and drive around town spraying raw sewage on houses. I want to have fun like that, doing the things that I don't (that you can prove) do in real life. Where the ridiculousness of the situation makes me not feel bad about accidentally running over a pedestrian. Now if only someone would make that game.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By billyhoush

It's kind of like the movie Citizen Kane -not everyone is going to appreciate it the same way because it may not be what you are looking for in a moviegoer's experience. Furthermore, some people can appreciate the craft of game design and the attention of detail to capture a moment in time or a proper homage to a film genre.

It's ok if it's not your cup of tea. Not everyone relaxes on a Sunday afternoon watching episodes of The Wire as a form of escapism.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By laserbolts

I really enjoyed la noire but I will admit some of the traffic in that game is pretty messed up. I could definitely see how someone wouldn't

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By laserbolts

Be into it. Damn touch screen iPad

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By tmthomsen

Let your partner drive and ignore the fact that it is an open world game. That's what I did.

tracerace11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tracerace11

Have you tried what Ryan is doing, and playing it as a linear game? Just let your partner drive you around the town, and only worry about playing the game from crime scene to crime scene. You have stated how you really liked the other parts of this game, so I feel like if you eliminate the open world feeling of the game, you would enjoy the game even more.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UlquioKani
    @Alphazero said: 

were you expecting it to be like this. I get the feeling you weren't but If you knew what you were getting yourself into, why did you do it?
    Also, is there a game where I can play a hot dog running around spraying raw sewage on houses cos that shit sounds insane
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @UlquioKani said:
    Also, is there a game where I can play a hot dog running around spraying raw sewage on houses cos that shit sounds insane
    Saints Row 2.
    RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By RawknRo11a

yea, this game definitely isn't for everyone. I've got a friend who loves it as much as I do and another who just thought it was "all right"...

I think it's an amazing game, but I can easily see how it just wouldn't be in some peoples' wheelhouse

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Good read. 

I'm not sure i have anything to say. I've had L.A. Noire for a couple of weeks now and i'm still at the murder desk, simply because i play for 1 hour once every two days. 
    The game is boring, the story isn't interesting me a whole lot, and the gameplay is so basic and repetitive it's sick. 

Just because it's an adventure game based on being a cop doesn't mean the only two possible things to do are either walk in circles and wait for the controller to rumble, or interrogate people and decide whether they're lying or not. 
    Phelps has no life, we don't get to see his family or experience his personal life, and his job doesn't have anything interesting or unusual going on, just the same song and dance every new morning. 

I wanna say FUCK IT and just ditch the game, but it's good enough to keep me playing i guess..

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

It's not for everyone, to each his own. But I really loved it. 
    Steveolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Steveolio

i can understand and agree with some of the comments about this game, but i kind of feel like most of the comments are related more to the fact that you we not in the mood for the game.  for me, at least, to really enjoy a game i need to be in the right mood for it.  just like how i need to be in the right mood to really enjoy a comedy movie.  thoughts...         

sorry about the lack of caps, apparently on my phone caps and alt keys dont work.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus

I just finished it last night... It was amazing. I think. I'm not sure. Maybe I should play it again...

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bybeach

I just finished LA NOIRE an hour ago, also. I flat out liked it, despite the realism. And I do understand what the OP is saying, and it is time for balance...kind of. Infamous 2 is up, then later I think the L.A. Noire DLC with my pass. Use siren for majority of driving, or partner. Ignore and fall in luv with auto aim the somewhat second rate combat. Otherwise a fine fine game that I did take a break on towards the end, and then picked back up.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alphazero

@UlquioKani said:

@Alphazero said:

were you expecting it to be like this. I get the feeling you weren't but If you knew what you were getting yourself into, why did you do it?Also, is there a game where I can play a hot dog running around spraying raw sewage on houses cos that shit sounds insane

I more or less knew what I was getting into, and the facial animation tech is relevant to my work life so I wanted to see it. It's an amazing technical achievement with great characters and story, but for me it wasn't that much fun to actually play. I'm not saying it's a bad game at all, it's just not for me.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By Sooperspy

I loved LA Noire. It was so different from anything else, and I like that. I like when games do something different. I get bored of military shooters and plumbers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.